Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know what her role will be, but Dr. Seward was a character in Dracula, one of Lucy's suitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what her role will be, but Dr. Seward was a character in Dracula, one of Lucy's suitors.

What worries me is that she doesn't believe Vanessa's story, and ends up having her committed, hence the preview shots we've seen of her in a padded room.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Or perhaps Dracula will make as short work of her as Friendzonestein did of Van Helsing, and Renfield will do it.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
When the twist of Sweet being Dracula was revealed I actually said "Oh gently caress no. God drat it. gently caress. God drat it, no."

:( Poor Vanessa :(

Also the part that slightly (and only pedantically slightly) annoyed me was when she was leaving the date on the street and got a weird feeling and looked around. Then she shrugged it off like "Nah, nothin' there doot de doooo!" Because if Vanessa loving Ives senses some dark-rear end poo poo is going on- especially when she's out on the street at night- then it sure as poo poo is some dark-rear end poo poo going on. Come on Vanessa, you know that Dracula/Satan/Lucifer/Anubis/Ba'al/whatever is after you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

:( Poor Vanessa :(

You knew when they cast Rudy from Dexter that they were going to use every bit of his acting talents. He was one of the only good actors from the show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
If anyone was thinking of buying a shirt or some other Penny Dreadful merchandise from the Showtime store, if you order now, they'll include a free Penny Dreadful comic book.

http://store.sho.com/?v=penny-free-comic&icid=slider2_penny-dreadful-free-comic_05042016

You can buy an Emostein doll! :toot:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

If anyone was thinking of buying a shirt or some other Penny Dreadful merchandise from the Showtime store, if you order now, they'll include a free Penny Dreadful comic book.

http://store.sho.com/?v=penny-free-comic&icid=slider2_penny-dreadful-free-comic_05042016

You can buy an Emostein doll! :toot:

The Vanessa Ives action figure is frightening. But this show is shot so beautifully, at times it's like a movie.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It would be great if they introduced the Invisible Man as a character who has actually been on the show the entire time.

Also they should change the opening song to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uE8JmY6abE

the " Frankenstein just cried and jacked it" is very fitting.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 14, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apparently Lily's new sidekick is named Justine. Heh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good old fashioned bloodgasm and a bunch of links to Emostein's past. Not too bad of an episode.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Why does the vampire plotline seem to show the least amount of blood?

I love this show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Grinning Goblin posted:

Why does the vampire plotline seem to show the least amount of blood?

I love this show.

Because vampires aren't wasteful

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It would be great if they introduced the Invisible Man as a character who has actually been on the show the entire time.

:yeah:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't be the only one who thought Jekyll might change into Mr. Hyde during his awesome little speech.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I get the feeling Lily is gonna end Dorian somehow

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I guess the Creature looked horrendous before he died. He's got the worst of luck.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

I get the feeling Lily is gonna end Dorian somehow

I don't think Dorian's going to be able to resist trying to 'Armchair General' the army Lily's trying to create. It'd be 'something new' to him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2016

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Period sex is gross

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Why does every episode of this season have me saying "What the gently caress!" at the very end.

God drat I love this show so much. Has there been any information as to whether or not it's renewed for a fourth season?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mouse Dresser posted:

Why does every episode of this season have me saying "What the gently caress!" at the very end.

God drat I love this show so much. Has there been any information as to whether or not it's renewed for a fourth season?

The official answer - from the actors, no less - is "not yet."

Evidently there's a Penny Dreadful comic that's out/coming out, which might or might not be a good sign. It's what they did to continue the plot of 'Jericho.'

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/titan-comics-reveals-penny-dreadful-covers-from-templesmith-march-more

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The official answer - from the actors, no less - is "not yet."

Evidently there's a Penny Dreadful comic that's out/coming out, which might or might not be a good sign. It's what they did to continue the plot of 'Jericho.'

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/titan-comics-reveals-penny-dreadful-covers-from-templesmith-march-more

An issue of the comic book came for free if you ordered something from the Penny Dreadful Showtime store. Mine ought to be here soon (I ordered a hoodie with a scorpion on it), so I'll let you know how the comic is. Not sure if it's a full issue, or a shortened freebie one, though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I just watched the first season, and it was good, not great. Looking at the graph tv stuff, it seems like seasons 2 and 3 are better regarded. Is this like so many other shows where season 2 is when things really get great, or is this one of those situations where if I was lukewarm on season 1, I will be lukewarm seasons 2 onward?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The show gets better, but I feel like the quality (and theme) stays somewhat consistent. It's not like those shows where in season 1 the directors are still deciding what the show is about and suddenly at season 2 it finds the right tune.

Penny Dreadful is a good show but it seems to be more about "the journey than the destination". The climactic moments are... uh... different. I'd say not to hype yourself too much for things to come.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That blood orgy was the grossest thing I've seen in awhile. Also I miss having Ethan, Vanessa and Mr. Old Dude together; these split plotlines aren't doing much for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

Apparently Lily's new sidekick is named Justine. Heh.
How did I miss that?!

PostNouveau posted:

That blood orgy was the grossest thing I've seen in awhile.
My wife and I felt...differently.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

God *drat* was that a hell of an episode, both in drama and in wealth of information disclosed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If Eva Green doesn't win an Emmy for one of these episodes it'll be a loving tragedy.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The guy playing Dracula/the Devil was pretty good as well.

This show is never going to get the critical acclaim it deserves but goddamn is the acting way too good for what is suppose to be a really trashy show.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
What an episode. GoT was great tonight as well, but such a shame there are 3 comments here and like a gazillion there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Eva Green loving went for it. That was amazing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Great episode... Seriously great writing and performances in this show.

Also I wanna say that 'modern medicine and medical science' back then scares the poo poo out of me and I did not need to be reminded they drilled into her head before.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The fact that Eva Green gets her own episode every season is my favorite recurring tradition.

The acting on the show in general is pretty good, but I love that they recognized Green will always loving go for it and just give her the hour.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Emo pre-Frank wasn't too shabby, either.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Was that him? I wasn't quite sure and I'm not a fan of going to IMDB for casting info whilst a season I'm watching is airing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Much like on ASH:Asylum old madhouse treatment of patients is far more horrifying then anything supernatural monsters can do.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

CeeJee posted:

Much like on ASH:Asylum old madhouse treatment of patients is far more horrifying then anything supernatural monsters can do.

Even in a non-horror show like The Knick the treatments look more like something out of Saw than something that is actually going to help :gonk:.

I really loved this episode. Eva Green is so good. I'm really glad they are giving her so much room/screen time to really dig into the character.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was expecting the orderly to show some lovely parts of his personality but then I realized how tragic it is that the orderly was a nice and sensible human being and then as The Creature he became such a dumbass failtard version of himself. The north pole stuff was killer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think she's gonna remember meeting him in the TB caves somehow?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Satan and Dracula getting friendzoned is so great.

I've only seen the episodes as they've aired so maybe I don't remember, but did they ever say how John Claire died and ended up in Frankenstein's hands? He's got a huge scar on his head, maybe he gets cut up like they were planning to do to Eva?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Eva Green and Rory Kinnear were so loving amazing in this past episode. No show does bottle episodes like Penny Dreadful.

I loving cried when he said to her "I want the last face you see to be someone who loves you." Jesus christ, what a beautifully tragic episode.

• Locked thread