Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
State Farm was really cool, everything is easy because she was so blatantly at fault. She turned left when I had a green and I tboned her. She was also trying to go the wrong way down a one way. Thanks I just was nervous. Now I'm over here trying to solve a new even more enraging problem. Cross posting just cuz i can. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659&pagenumber=560#post459948640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
You said you don't have renters or homeowners insurance, and you also said you have liability only auto insurance. Have you considered the possibility that you are underinsured? Because I think you are.

You lost ~$500 worth of stuff. I would send them a polite letter (them = tow company)

If you can't absorb that kind of loss you need more insurance.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
$240. It's not that I can't absorb it, it's that they wrecked the poo poo just through sheer lazy assholery and then acted like it wasn't their fault. Crosspost: Apparently once they saw what happened they cleaned it up and tried to salvage my stuff, and the 'wrecker' who towed my car and actually did get into some poo poo. I got a call a bit ago. I'm still gonna have to sort out how extensive the damage is. Part of the problem is any really obvious damage to one side of a card kind of ruins that card. But I'll try to be fair about what really needs replaced vs what I can substitute.

I possibly am underinsured. I took the cheap insurance when I had ownership of my title. I just got a new job and am gonna need a new car so I'll probably end up with total coverage again. Maybe I'll get renters too if I don't have it. Thanks again for the advice, there was a lot of "I have no idea whats going on today and this is all terrible" happening in my brain today.

Here's this by the way.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
If it was Shamrock Towing, they're assholes and I hope you show them who's boss.

But honestly they might do the right thing. It's hard to say at this point.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That sucks about the cards. The tow company should make you whole. Shoveling debris in the back seat like that is way up there on stupid poo poo I've seen. If they give you any pushback contact DMV or whoever regulates tow yards in your state.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

LongDarkNight posted:

That sucks about the cards. The tow company should make you whole. Shoveling debris in the back seat like that is way up there on stupid poo poo I've seen. If they give you any pushback contact DMV or whoever regulates tow yards in your state.
They'll make him whole if he takes a stand. I've had my share of based tow experiences and now I only use AAA. Lesson learned!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Columbus towing is particularly bad imo, Shamrock and the other big one down there are like hawks when it comes to parking. gently caress them forever.

I have A Strong Opinion(tm) about towing.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I'm buying two homes. One of them I'll be living in, but the other will be occupied by my parents. Will I be able to get regular home owners insurance on the one that my parents will be living in? I plan on using State Farm.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sperg Victorious posted:

I'm buying two homes. One of them I'll be living in, but the other will be occupied by my parents. Will I be able to get regular home owners insurance on the one that my parents will be living in? I plan on using State Farm.

You'll want a landlord dwelling policy for the home you're not living in. Even though its your parents, they are still technically "tenants" since they don't own the location. I'm going to assume all the stuff inside isn't yours, its theirs, so they will want to have a renters policy, you're going to want to insure the home. The only way that'd be different is if you were actually living in that second location part time as a secondary home.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Jastiger posted:

You'll want a landlord dwelling policy for the home you're not living in. Even though its your parents, they are still technically "tenants" since they don't own the location. I'm going to assume all the stuff inside isn't yours, its theirs, so they will want to have a renters policy, you're going to want to insure the home. The only way that'd be different is if you were actually living in that second location part time as a secondary home.

How do landlord dwelling policies compare in price to homeowners?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly it depends. I've seen some that are a fraction of the cost, I've seen some that are higher. Location matters a lot more, for starters. If you're moving from a not so nice part of town, and having the folks move on after, it may not be so hot.

Generally I'd say in my experience whatever you were paying before, expect to pay 80% of that, unless your credit has taken a nose dive.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
My agent told me since its my parents, a regular homeowners policy will be ok. Is there anything I should ask or clarify with him? Kind of surprised.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sperg Victorious posted:

My agent told me since its my parents, a regular homeowners policy will be ok. Is there anything I should ask or clarify with him? Kind of surprised.

I am surprised at tha. I wouldn't do a homeowners policy if the insured wasn't living in it.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
This may or may not be the right place for this, so forgive me if it's not, but my car insurance on a 2002 Honda Accord is approaching $2k/year. Does that seem ridiculously high to anyone else, or is this standard for my area?

I'm in NY and my insurance agent keeps telling me this is bare bones minimum coverage for the car I've owned for 10+ years. I've been in one accident but was not at fault, and I go to defensive driving courses every few years, but I still get hammered with these insane rates. Seems like I could afford to replace the car outright with what I pay out in insurance each year.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One of the best ways to save money on insurance is:

Move out of New York.

Second: move up state.

Also that rate is p high, id shop around. What's your credit look like?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Jastiger posted:

One of the best ways to save money on insurance is:

Move out of New York.

Second: move up state.

Also that rate is p high, id shop around. What's your credit look like?

Would that either of those choices was an option.

My credit should be fine, I never keep a balance on my card more than a month or so.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TwoSheds posted:

Would that either of those choices was an option.

My credit should be fine, I never keep a balance on my card more than a month or so.

Shop around, friend. Who are you with?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Shop around, friend. Who are you with?

Liberty Mutual.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TwoSheds posted:

This may or may not be the right place for this, so forgive me if it's not, but my car insurance on a 2002 Honda Accord is approaching $2k/year. Does that seem ridiculously high to anyone else, or is this standard for my area?

I'm in NY and my insurance agent keeps telling me this is bare bones minimum coverage for the car I've owned for 10+ years. I've been in one accident but was not at fault, and I go to defensive driving courses every few years, but I still get hammered with these insane rates. Seems like I could afford to replace the car outright with what I pay out in insurance each year.

DO NOT THINK THIS WAY ABOUT AUTO INSURANCE!

First and foremost, auto insurance covers any damage or injury you cause someone else in an at-fault accident. You'd be sued for the damages otherwise. WAY more expensive than replacing your car.

Judging by your description of "bare bones minimum coverage", I'm assuming you don't even have comp and collision coverage, correct? That's the coverage that would pay for damages to your own car.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

DO NOT THINK THIS WAY ABOUT AUTO INSURANCE!

First and foremost, auto insurance covers any damage or injury you cause someone else in an at-fault accident. You'd be sued for the damages otherwise. WAY more expensive than replacing your car.

Judging by your description of "bare bones minimum coverage", I'm assuming you don't even have comp and collision coverage, correct? That's the coverage that would pay for damages to your own car.

Ok, point taken. I still think I'm getting hosed, though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TwoSheds posted:

Ok, point taken. I still think I'm getting hosed, though.

Not saying you aren't. Just needed to point that out. I used all caps cause it's incredibly important to carry coverage, not just to yell at you. (I wanted the rest of the thread to see it too.) Uninsured motorists drive everyone else's rates up considerably.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dango Bango posted:

Not saying you aren't. Just needed to point that out. I used all caps cause it's incredibly important to carry coverage, not just to yell at you. (I wanted the rest of the thread to see it too.) Uninsured motorists drive everyone else's rates up considerably.

Yeah it pisses me off "My car isn't worth much, so just give me the minimum "*plows into a family of four*.

It doesn't matter if you're driving an 89 Tercel or a 2016 LExus, your car still hurts people.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
How much fun is writing new policies for the hipsters moving into Detroit?

E: Oh wow, literally on the last page.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Detroit lol.

There are entire regions you don't want to be in for insurance. I can tell how its going to go by just their location on a map.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

AFAIK, I always carry collision. What I mean by bare-bones coverage is that stuff like theft and vandalism isn't covered. Of course, that bit me in the rear end when some assclown sawed off my catalytic converter a couple of months ago.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Jastiger posted:

gently caress Detroit lol.

There are entire regions you don't want to be in for insurance. I can tell how its going to go by just their location on a map.

What happens when they list their residence at their parents in Ferndale when they're really in Midtown when they make a claim?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eskaton posted:

What happens when they list their residence at their parents in Ferndale when they're really in Midtown when they make a claim?

Well if its a serious claim the claims department will look into it and find out by asking where they receive mail, looking at vehicle registration address and stuff like that. A non standard company is gonna pay out the minimum, and good luck to you on the rest.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Well if its a serious claim the claims department will look into it and find out by asking where they receive mail, looking at vehicle registration address and stuff like that. A non standard company is gonna pay out the minimum, and good luck to you on the rest.

Is there even a "tsk, tsk"? Or is the minimum so low that it's pretty much "frick you, dude"?

I mean they don't actually live where they state residence btw.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eskaton posted:

Is there even a "tsk, tsk"? Or is the minimum so low that it's pretty much "frick you, dude"?

I mean they don't actually live where they state residence btw.

Depends on the company. A preferred company that has you on minimums will probably pay and leave you to your own devices and drop you. IF its a significant amount they'll follow up and make sure they are paying out. If its sub standard company they may pay out the minimum or deny the claim outright unless there is certain documentation. Every company is different and it matters what happens.

IF they are in a separate state, then they are breaking the law by not having insurance in the state of residence.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Remember, don't give your insurance company a reason to deny you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Depends on the company. A preferred company that has you on minimums will probably pay and leave you to your own devices and drop you. IF its a significant amount they'll follow up and make sure they are paying out. If its sub standard company they may pay out the minimum or deny the claim outright unless there is certain documentation. Every company is different and it matters what happens.

IF they are in a separate state, then they are breaking the law by not having insurance in the state of residence.

Detroit address fraud is so prevalent a lot of companies have specific individuals or whole teams that deal with suspected fraud of this nature. Older policy language would usually just pay out and nonrenew people but the trend recently is more aggressive language about material misrepresentation and duty to report changes which has a much stronger chance of denial, especially for first party claims.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Anyone ever work with GeoVera before? How are they?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Various update- most of the cards were sleeved in packs of 11 and mostly look ok but a lot of the peripheral mats and stuff got gunked up. I'm annoyed still at the tow company but I'm willing to call it a wash because-

I took a total loss settlement on my vehicle for around 5 grand. I probably would have sold it for less fairly soon, so this was sort of a windfall. I was plagued with calls and mail asking to help fix or represent me from various people who want State Farm's money, it was super annoying.

A day after the car stuff got sorted another State Farm person called me, and I was confused and told them I had taken care of everything. But now I'm wondering if was put into her work queue due to potential medical stuff. If a medical issue crops up, how long do I have? I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I also haven't signed anything from the insurance company about anything other than the total loss of the vehicle. Is there something I should be doing? I still feel ok. I had some tightness in my neck the day after but it was cured through application of a lacrosse ball

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Various update- most of the cards were sleeved in packs of 11 and mostly look ok but a lot of the peripheral mats and stuff got gunked up. I'm annoyed still at the tow company but I'm willing to call it a wash because-

I took a total loss settlement on my vehicle for around 5 grand. I probably would have sold it for less fairly soon, so this was sort of a windfall. I was plagued with calls and mail asking to help fix or represent me from various people who want State Farm's money, it was super annoying.

A day after the car stuff got sorted another State Farm person called me, and I was confused and told them I had taken care of everything. But now I'm wondering if was put into her work queue due to potential medical stuff. If a medical issue crops up, how long do I have? I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I also haven't signed anything from the insurance company about anything other than the total loss of the vehicle. Is there something I should be doing? I still feel ok. I had some tightness in my neck the day after but it was cured through application of a lacrosse ball

If their insurance company is willing to pay up for medical and you're worried you may be hurt, go get yourself checked out. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Often times insurance companies will pay you just to go away even if you aren't hurt. That way they KNOW there is no further claim.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jastiger posted:

If their insurance company is willing to pay up for medical and you're worried you may be hurt, go get yourself checked out. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Often times insurance companies will pay you just to go away even if you aren't hurt. That way they KNOW there is no further claim.

Chuck 250/500 at them for that signed release. :angel:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm self insured for health insurance - salaried employee but very small company. My employer is asking for proof of insurance - why, and am I obligated to provide it?

Edit: I'm in TX, since I'm sure that matters.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm self insured for health insurance - salaried employee but very small company. My employer is asking for proof of insurance - why, and am I obligated to provide it?

Edit: I'm in TX, since I'm sure that matters.

I honestly don't know, but maybe. I think the law states you have to offer it if the employees don't have it, so they just want to check that box. I'm not sure though :(

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jastiger posted:

I honestly don't know, but maybe. I think the law states you have to offer it if the employees don't have it, so they just want to check that box. I'm not sure though :(

I thought they only have to offer it if there are more than X employees (I think 15?) and we're below that number. Goddammit. Oh well, may as well do it.

Edit: Apparently it's my employer's medical insurance carrier that's asking for it - there is a health plan for my company, just not to me (don't ask, I don't know - there are only 2 people + families on it).

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 3, 2016

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

potatoducks posted:

I am leaving my current job for a new job that starts within 30 days. From what I understand, I don't have to pay for COBRA right away. However, if I end up getting hit by a car or something during the in between days, then I (or my wife if I am unable) can then apply for retroactive COBRA coverage. Is that correct?

I'm pretty sure you can, yes.