Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Guys, I just want to remind you that Italian fascism started as a movement in which veterans demanded that their sacrifice in WWI be honored by allowing them to make all the relevant political decisions. If Heinlein's book didn't capture that society in an idealized version centuries in the future, I don't know what it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I don't know if this is where all The Expanse book reading chat goes but anyways, but am halfway through book 3 when the Martian marine fires the grenade causing the slow zone to change its rules which instantly brings all the ships in the slow zone to 20g halt causing everybody not in crash couches (IE: 90% of everybody) to explode on the walls or get cut in half by doorways and it was a real :tviv: moment.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Amberskin posted:

It comes to my memory Carl Sagan's Contact and the description of an alien sky from the eyes of Ellen.
I have never read this. I should, one of these days.

I'm currently about fifty pages into Too Like the Lightning, and it's pretty intriguing in that it's either really good or I'm going to abandon it, or both, and I can't quite tell.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 23, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
BAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHA

http://www.therabidpuppies.com/

Looks like SOMEONE forgot to register a url, and well, magic has happened.

God drat I love this man.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

quote:

N. K. JEMISIN - THE FIFTH SEASON
this book is ALSO hugos award nominee for catagory name of HARDEST LONG BOOK which makes bad dogs blues VERY UPSET. here is like to read for yourself maybe it makes you feel like a hot-to-trot buck maybe then you can vote for it and make LOVE REAL for tinglers AND other books.
This book made love real for me. It's not a happy book, but it is a very good one.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wanna buy some dinosaur erotica now just to show my support.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chrisoya posted:

This book made love real for me. It's not a happy book, but it is a very good one.

Well that's definitely a good blurb for a BOTM poll

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I figured it out: Chuck Tingle is an Orz.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kalman posted:

I figured it out: Chuck Tingle is an Orz.

a *finger*

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheFonz posted:

Hi all,
I'm attempting to journey into reading more Science Fiction and Fantasy books, and really just get back into reading. I've not read a book in a long while, and on the suggestions of some friends I read Ready Player One. I found it personally to not be what I was really looking for. I loved the idea of a dystopian future and found that part very appealing. The constant 80's/90's actually felt fun hearkening back to my childhood, but the way it was described rubbed me the wrong way, as if the writer was trying to prove he knows so much more than all of us readers. Through the book I couldn't help but feel the main character was a Trilby clad goon, and it felt similarly that the writer himself fell somewhere on the spectrum. Again, just my personal biases showing through.

I know I can google dystopian novels but I'm fearful I'll end up with a real stinker. I'm hoping there are some good suggestions. I see in the OP I'm probably gearing towards a cyberpunk aesthetic.

Any books by these guys anyone seriously recommends? I browsed a bit, but the thread is almost 400 pages, and again, I'm a bad reader.
Bruce Sterling's short story anthologies. A Good Old-Fashioned Future is great. After you get through the short stories, pick up Zeitgeist to find out what happens with Lekhi Starlitz. His novels are excellent as well but I really think his short stories are a special corner of cyberpunk.

I feel that Sterling's writing is more cyberpunk than Gibson a lot of the time, because while Gibson focuses on the cyber, Sterling focuses on the punk aspect doing poo poo like playing bodyguard/manager for a J-pop band that's smuggling day-after emergency abortion drugs, or living in a Chevy van and lo-jacking payphones. Gibson's more about laser guns and magic drugs and razorblade fingertips. Both are dystopian but Sterling's frankly a better writer, and he can write some really complelling sentences.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Oh man, those drat puppies did NOT know what they were getting into. Picked the wrong fight altogether.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Groke posted:

Oh man, those drat puppies did NOT know what they were getting into. Picked the wrong fight altogether.

Picked the wrong brawler, that's to be sure. Tingle as a character is all about sexual freedom and isn't about to get tied to any closed-minded bozos without deploying weirdness so strange there isn't even really a counterargument that can be made.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Chuck Tingle is my loving hero.

In more ways than one.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Groke posted:

Chuck is one of those goons who say they make six figures writing minecraft fan fiction and gay erotica, and self-publishing it on amazon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tokamak posted:

Chuck is one of those goons who say they make six figures writing minecraft fan fiction and gay erotica, and self-publishing it on amazon.

He probably does. His books sell *really* well.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Amberskin posted:

None of those passages compare with the place described in the McDevitts novel. Just trying to visualize it makes me goosebumps. He puts aside the science and the exploration for a moment, and just tells the reader: EH, THIS IS A loving BIG UNIVERSE WHERE loving AWESOME THINGS ARE AWAITING SOMEONE TO WRITE ABOUT THEM.

I love the opening passages in The Engines of God which describe the giant alien ice sculpture and the footprints of the carver leading up to it. The whole idea of the Monument Makers was a fabulous mystery, with a lot of similar sights.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

RoboCicero posted:

Hey everyone, I wanted to bust into this thread and say that The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin is easily one of my favorite books this year! Honestly deserves all the awards it can get.

There's also a great twist within the book that readers can figure out. Major end-of-book spoilers.
The loving moon! I figured out something was up in the first interlude, where she says -- sure, there's the sun, the sea, and the stars, but how would you know to describe something you've never seen? I figured she was talking about the moon, but I couldn't figure out the relevance to the rest of the story. Sure, there's no moon in this setting, but what does that do with anything?

Then in another interlude, where they talk about a folktale that Father Earth hates all of humanity for taking away the one thing he loves, and everyone's like, gently caress, idk what that is. His lover? His treasured possession? :shrug: and then you're start hooting and hollering because somehow, someway, orogenes managed to destroy the moon, and that's why the Stillness is all hosed up.

I didn't actually figure that out from the story until later but drat, how great that it's set up there for the reader to find.

Hell yeah lets talk about WTF is going on in Fifth Season. I didn't know until the very last page that it was book 1 of 3 so that's a thing, but there's no reason we can't speculate wildly.

The Thing at the center of the Fulcrum: what. It somehow makes the obelisks, the obelisks are tied to the stoneborn. In some way it appears to be a literal embodiment of Father Earth, and hints at being a past AI type thing that went bad and started to destroy everything. And it apparently controls the Guardians or at least influences them. Other then that, it's a puzzler.

What happened to Alabaster's other kids? He seems to hint that they're made into nodes but I was wondering if it was more than that.

What in the heck is up with the obelisks?

What is Hoa's deal? Seems like the Stone eaters form some sort of weird semi-sexual bond with Orogenes but I didn't really suss out the details.

Also, I appreciate that N.K. Jemisin indulged her love of getting it on with moody world-destroying men but in a fresh new way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Fifth season is a BOTM poll choice so vote em if you got em

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Thanks for reminding me, put in a vote for Fifth Season!

Copernic posted:

The Thing at the center of the Fulcrum: what. It somehow makes the obelisks, the obelisks are tied to the stoneborn. In some way it appears to be a literal embodiment of Father Earth, and hints at being a past AI type thing that went bad and started to destroy everything. And it apparently controls the Guardians or at least influences them. Other then that, it's a puzzler.

What happened to Alabaster's other kids? He seems to hint that they're made into nodes but I was wondering if it was more than that.

What in the heck is up with the obelisks?

What is Hoa's deal? Seems like the Stone eaters form some sort of weird semi-sexual bond with Orogenes but I didn't really suss out the details.

Yeah, I think it's clearly set up for the later books to flesh out but something is definitely going on with stone eaters, orogenes, and obelisks. We understand that obelisks somehow store energy for orogenes to use, but also that they're attuned to specific users and can't freely be used without disastrous consequences. Alabaster has his goony gem-sword at the end but it's impossible to say for certain if it's a shard of the obelisk or the obelisk itself shrunk down.

The book says that Alabaster's kids are all turned into nodes or Guardians if they're not found useful or not obedient enough. It's pretty grim, though honestly I feel like when he tells Syenite "do whatever you have to, don't let them take coru" I thought he was implying he'd be okay with a double-suicide.

There is something going on with stone eaters and bonding with a specific orogene that reads as predatory to me. There's a weird way stone eaters feed off of orogenes and I'm not sure if it has to do with Alabaster literally turning to stone or if that was just him burning out after causing the quake.

Stone eaters are definitely up to something though, at the beginning of the book it seems like Alabaster was furthering their agenda in a way that has nothing to do with incidentally killing off humanity. Maybe they originally came from the moon or something? And what's the deal with Guardians? I feel like Jemisin isn't going to give us a traditional sequel if The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is anything to go by so maybe we'll follow a Guardian in the next book.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fifth season is a BOTM poll choice so vote em if you got em

sequel is looking pretty great

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
There's more than one reason it's called The Fifth Season :tinfoil:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Amberskin posted:

Absolutely true. In no moment in the book is anything about a supreme leader, caudillo, fuhrer or duce, which is one of the key points about fascist(-ish) societies. Basically, everything is opt-in. A citizen must do a period of public service (military or not) if he wants to be able to vote, but can opt-out at any moment, and all the "punishement" he or she gets is he will not be able to participate in politics.

Being forced to serve the state in exchange for suffrage isn't fascism, exactly, but is still a dumb idea no more sophisticated than an old man grumbling about drat kids these days not doing any hard work, which I guess is more or less what Heinlein was.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wonder what position Heinlein would have taken on the various breeds of Puppies. I'm honestly not sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kesper North posted:

I wonder what position Heinlein would have taken on the various breeds of Puppies. I'm honestly not sure.

It's a good question, but if his later work is any guide, he'd have been hugely pro-Tingle.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

It's a good question, but if his later work is any guide, he'd have been hugely pro-Tingle.

It would depend on if "one's own butt" counts as incest.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Time Enough For Tingle?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fritz posted:

It would depend on if "one's own butt" counts as incest.

Heinlein actually wrote a story where the protagonist went back in time, had a sex change, had sex with himself, and gave birth to himself. ("All You Zombies")

What can you say? He was ahead of his time. The original buckaroo

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

freebooter posted:

Being forced to serve the state in exchange for suffrage isn't fascism, exactly, but is still a dumb idea no more sophisticated than an old man grumbling about drat kids these days not doing any hard work, which I guess is more or less what Heinlein was.

Well, it could be said that right now and in our democratic societies you actually have to serve the state. You know, several months a year of my salary goes to taxes. Sure I don't have to shoot man-eating cockroaches with a nuclear bazooka, but I'm indirectly giving my time to the old good government.

(And I think it is not necessarily a bad thing).

Heinlein actually wrote a story where the protagonist went back in time, had a sex change, had sex with himself, and gave birth to himself. ("All You Zombies")

There is a movie based on that story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

By the way, the story is awesome, it is really the ultimate time-travel gimmick and everyone should read it.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 26, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Amberskin posted:

Well, it could be said that right now and in our democratic societies you actually have to serve the state. You know, several months a year of my salary goes to taxes. Sure I don't have to shoot man-eating cockroaches with a nuclear bazooka, but I'm indirectly giving my time to the old good government.

Well, yeah, but most people I think will draw a distinction between paying fees for citizenship and actually offering your life to the State for a term of service.

quote:

There is a movie based on that story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

By the way, the story is awesome, it is really the ultimate time-travel gimmick and everyone should read it.
You can probably argue that By His Bootstraps is a strong second place contender. Heinlein apparently liked time travel stories with only one person in them.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Actually thinking about this a bit more, and going by what I remember of things like excerpts from the Patterson biography (https://sanseverything.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/the-problems-with-pattersons-heinlein-biography/) and what I've read of the Panshin critique (http://www.panshin.com/critics/Dimension/hdcontents.html) (and reactions to that), I can't really see Heinlein as anything but a Sad Puppy (not all of them are fans tho: http://johncwright.livejournal.com/30522.html)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The film adaptation of this, "Predestination," was not at all bad.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Amberskin posted:

This is a bit different, though - if you don't earn enough money you don't pass the threshhold and don't pay tax (or at least not income tax). And I'm sure you wouldn't suggest that poor people don't deserve to vote.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
It is not at all uncommon in democratic countries to require military or civil service from citizens. I think the US is an exception in not requiring any kind of civic engagement from its citizens rather than the rule.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

It is not at all uncommon in democratic countries to require military or civil service from citizens. I think the US is an exception in not requiring any kind of civic engagement from its citizens rather than the rule.

Nope, almost everyone in Europe gave up as well.

Blue is no enforced military service. Austria and Switzerland aren't NATO members so they still enforce it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

Not really, it's definitely not the norm for liberal democracies. There's only four countries in Western Europe that still do it for example, and that's mostly due to inertia IMO: Switzerland, Greece, Norway and Austria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription

And it's never about enfranchisement, you aren't required to serve to get a vote.

edit: beaten while I was deciding what to type...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

More Hugo updates:

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/735624694804578304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love that man as only a true buckaroo can :allears:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

tooterfish posted:

Not really, it's definitely not the norm for liberal democracies. There's only four countries in Western Europe that still do it for example, and that's mostly due to inertia IMO: Switzerland, Greece, Norway and Austria.

In Norway, at least, it's barely enforced; all young men are theoretically bound to serve a term but it's very easy to get out on the flimsiest of excuses these days. Used to be hard but that changed in the 1990s when the Cold War ended and the defense budgets shrank at the same time a large age cohort reached conscription age (so they started cutting more slack because feeding and training a recruit for a year costs money).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's Turkey? that has the best "Get out of service" requirement. You don't have to serve if you are gay, but you have to prove it by bringing in a photo of you having gay sex, and you have to be the catcher, not the pitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

tooterfish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription

And it's never about enfranchisement, you aren't required to serve to get a vote.

edit: beaten while I was deciding what to type...

It's not inertia. Three of the countries you mentioned aren't NATO members, and Greece fears a hot war with Turkey over Cyprus/whatever. But I forget this isn't D&D.

Anyway, coming down after a binge of non-fic about the Middle East, Islam, Israel and Hamas, which left me all exhausted and bitter, I picked up Prophets by N. Andrew Swann hoping for some trashy space opera action. Then I opened the book and, bang, Space Islam. :negative: