Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Berwyn, moving to Shorewood. Got another quote after posting here for $800 to $1200 . To literally arrive at my home, carry an empty tank and stand to the truck, drive 45 minutes, bring them into the new house.

I'm in the wrong business. We are, all of us, in the wrong businesses.

Google was telling me to expect like $50 an hour, so I was expecting to stay under $200. If you think you've got someone that can hit that, I'll shoot you a pm when I get near a computer (don't believe I can pm from the phone app). Otherwise, I was planning on calling a small moving company, I just like the idea of using someone who knows how to carry a tank properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Why not rent a truck, grab a friend, and do it yourself? Unless they're taking care of all the tear down and rebuild, there are few reasons you couldn't do it yourself.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Anony Mouse posted:

Why not rent a truck, grab a friend, and do it yourself? Unless they're taking care of all the tear down and rebuild, there are few reasons you couldn't do it yourself.
Because it's heavier than hell and I have a bad back (Ironically from a previous job that required me on occasion to be a mover). I fortunately didn't damage myself moving it the first time, but I don't want to press my luck if I can avoid it. We will be moving the smaller tanks ourselves though for sure.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Most LFS have business accounts that have tanks they maintain and will more often than not take on jobs like this. Maybe ask your LFS or an LFS at the move-to location if they'd lend you a hand.

I've had the guys from my LFS help me move twice, both times it was at the cost of pizza and beers.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Just got a free Zoa frag w/my purchase today at the LFS

:ohdear: is this how coral addictions start?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

DrakeriderCa posted:

Just got a free Zoa frag w/my purchase today at the LFS

:ohdear: is this how coral addictions start?

Yes.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
That's the most expensive free coral is history :cheers::cawg:

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

\/\/\/

Thank you. It's my first reef. 75g. I put a 48" reefbreeder photon v2 on it recently.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 3, 2016

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Your tank looks nice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I visited the people behind seahorse.com this week while on vacation in Hawaii and was very impressed. I'll post some of the pictures I took when I get back but I got to see their hatcheries for their stock of Hippocampus erectus, very impressive operation.

They feed their breeding pairs with the red shrimp that's endemic in the Hawaiian islands--they keep a green water "tidepool" that's absolutely filled to the brim with the things. The young eat copepods bred in gracilaria vats and also gut loaded brine shrimp, and the juveniles they ship out they showed off as all taking frozen mysis--they claim that being non-choosy feeders was a trait they successfully bred for in the 18ish years they've been running. I personally fed the breeders with the red shrimp and the juvies with mysis shrimp myself and watched them eat it all.

They've also got a grant to set up breeding for the 2 varieties of sea dragons. They've got a pair of leafies that were making attempts at mating (wouldn't let us near the vat, out of fear of putting them off) but they did show us their pairs of weedies.

E: https://imgur.com/a/a8vtL

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 3, 2016

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
With summer upon us I'm looking to augment my 2.5 gallon pico reef with a chiller to keep the temperature stable. Does anyone have experience with the thermoelectric "ice probe" chillers, especially the CoolWorks Microchiller? It seems a bit pricy for what it is (~$250 for the chiller + temperature controller, a bit less if I can successfully modify a spare HOB filter I have laying around) but a 1/15 horsepower inline chiller seems like overkill and would take up waaaay more space.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 9, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't have any experience with them, but that looks like something you could hack together for WAY less than $250.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't have any experience with them, but that looks like something you could hack together for WAY less than $250.

Given that $220 is the MSRP they hacked it together for like $80, and that's including paying retail for the AquaClear.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ice probes go for $100-$120 and the controller $50-$70, even on eBay; if you guys know where I can get them for cheaper please do tell.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How much are you needing to cool, if you're OK with topping off more often you might want to just run a clip on desk fan over the surface of the water, or a PC fan or what have you. Doing that easily lowers my temps by 2-3 degrees.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah man you don't need the Ice Probe. I was going to get one for my 25 gallon Lagoon but turned out it wasn't necessary. I got a $20 aquarium fan that drops the temp real quick. For a 2.5 gallon pico, a single 4" fan would probably do the trick..

http://smile.amazon.com/JEBO-F-9020-Aquarium-Cooling-System/dp/B00ESWVD3E?ie=UTF8&keywords=aquarium%20fan&qid=1465502840&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

http://smile.amazon.com/COLLAR-aFAN..._=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe, but I live in Seattle where there is no central air and air conditioners are a luxury. It easily gets up to the high 80s or low 90s indoors during the summer. I'd rather have more cooling capacity than I need.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anony Mouse posted:

Maybe, but I live in Seattle where there is no central air and air conditioners are a luxury. It easily gets up to the high 80s or low 90s indoors during the summer. I'd rather have more cooling capacity than I need.

I'm in SoCal, with the same. A fan works fine.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Suit yourself but personally I'd try the $20 fan on a 2.5 gallon tank before I dropped $150+ on a cooling device.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I'm calling the tang police on Reince Priebus.

https://twitter.com/michaelbd/status/745249142071529472

2 tangs, each of which should get at minimum 3' of swimming length, probably 4-6'
a loving spotted puffer
an eel of some sort
and a clown

all in a 29 gal, so probably a literal biocube

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 21, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Speaking of 29g bio cubes :v:

I'm buying one tomorrow to go with our 14g. Any special tips for moving? Right now it has a rock with pretty healthy zoa and GSP colonies on it. And two or three anemones.

I've never moved anything with coral or anemones before. I was just going to put the rock in a bucket or barrel, but then it might roll around and crush everything. What do you guys figure?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

Speaking of 29g bio cubes :v:

I'm buying one tomorrow to go with our 14g. Any special tips for moving? Right now it has a rock with pretty healthy zoa and GSP colonies on it. And two or three anemones.

I've never moved anything with coral or anemones before. I was just going to put the rock in a bucket or barrel, but then it might roll around and crush everything. What do you guys figure?

Just drive carefully. I've always moved with buckets and never had an issue. Except that time I left the anemone in the truck for like 5 hours and it split the next day.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks. What should I do with the sand? I've pulled all the water out down to just above the sand, and I've moved the tank like that. Last tank I tried to wash the sand. Is that necessary? Will having the sand all stirred up spike the tank? Can I just put the water back in and it'll be cool?

There's just rock, coral and a few anemones going back in. No fish or sensitive inverts.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks. What should I do with the sand? I've pulled all the water out down to just above the sand, and I've moved the tank like that. Last tank I tried to wash the sand. Is that necessary? Will having the sand all stirred up spike the tank? Can I just put the water back in and it'll be cool?

There's just rock, coral and a few anemones going back in. No fish or sensitive inverts.

Get the sand out, after disturbing it, you're going to not have a good time with all of the nitrified gunk that's settled. I'd go with new sand, but if you absolutely must reuse it make sure you rinse it REALLY well. Usually what I do (gently caress moving forever, this tank has moved 4 times) is get the water down to just over the sand, and suck out some sand while I siphon the rest of the water out. Get all the sand out with my shop vac, or a big net works well too, toss it into a bucket then throw it away.

e: just read that you've got no fish. You might be OK to just rinse it, but do it well.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Tank update! Pics first! Sorry for the mostly lovely cellphone quality. I bought a cheap UV filter on eBay hoping it would help me take better pictures but it seems to have literally zero effect for me. Oh well. Been running this 2.6 gal for about 7 months now.

Super happy with the mini maxi (center) - I love the colors and the sexy shrimps like it well enough.

Encrusting monti (center) seems happy but grows very slowly. In 5 months it's barely started to creep onto its plug.

Tough to see any visible growth on the seriatopora, even comparing it to old pictures. I think there is some, and it seems healthy overall, but it's pretty slow.

This bastard refuses to grow despite being fed multiple times per week. My other ricordea has grown a fair bit however.

My montipora undata just won't quit. I'm actually getting a bit worried about the amount of light it's blocking. I like it a lot and it's super fun seeing such rapid growth but it might have to move on to a bigger tank soon.

Here's a comparison of exactly 5 months of growth. (The bit of seriatopora was a tiny frag I was experimenting with the placement of, it's not the main body. It did not like its position up there so I moved it.)

In other news, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I recently changed the filters on my RO/DI and I realized something terrible... somehow I had my fresh/waste water lines mixed up. For six months. I must have been completely spaced out when I set up my system. I've been putting waste RO/DI water into my tank for six months. The fact that nothing in my tank seems to give a poo poo speaks either to their resilience, or TDS levels not being nearly as important as people make them out to be. :shrug:

I've noticed that my alkalinity, pH, and calcium tend to get a bit low even though I do a water change every 1-2 weeks max. My plan is to buy a cheap dosing pump soon and try and stabilize my levels higher in between water changes. Hopefully that will encourage my other SPS to grow as wildly as the undata is.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 19, 2016

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Looking good man. Whats the filtration look like in the back of that thing?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Anony Mouse posted:

In other news, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I recently changed the filters on my RO/DI and I realized something terrible... somehow I had my fresh/waste water lines mixed up. For six months. I must have been completely spaced out when I set up my system. I've been putting waste RO/DI water into my tank for six months. The fact that nothing in my tank seems to give a poo poo speaks either to their resilience, or TDS levels not being nearly as important as people make them out to be. :shrug:
I think the issue is that TDS can be a lot of things depending on your local water supply. I mean, obviously TDS in general are not a problem. The ocean has plenty of that. If the rest of your system is pretty stable and other needs are being met, a lot of the creatures in your tank will adapt.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

visuvius posted:

Looking good man. Whats the filtration look like in the back of that thing?
Just bioballs with some filter floss on top to catch gunk. I do a ~50% water change every 1-2 weeks. I'm gonna cut it back to ~25% every 1-2 weeks (or longer) once I get my dosing setup because my nitrogen and ammonia levels are rock steady at 0ppm, it's the alk/calc/pH that's problematic.

cheese posted:

I think the issue is that TDS can be a lot of things depending on your local water supply. I mean, obviously TDS in general are not a problem. The ocean has plenty of that. If the rest of your system is pretty stable and other needs are being met, a lot of the creatures in your tank will adapt.
True; I'm in Seattle and we have decent water I guess? Fixing the TDS issue has visibly dropped the amount of algae and diatoms in the tank but that's about it. Actually any diatoms are probably because I think one of the rocks in my tank is volcanic and I should probably take it out.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 19, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
An interesting tank setup has come up for sale near us. It's a 50g bowfront with a stand and sump. That's pretty much what we wanted to have for a SW tank, and we could finally break our nano addiction and just have a reasonably sized tank instead of 2 (soon to be 3) nano tanks.

I'm wondering what you guys think though - this was set up as a planted tank, with a HOB overflow box. The sump was set up for a planted tank, so I'm not sure if it would even work as a SW sump. I'd want to do a protein skimmer, filter sock(s) and maybe a refugium in the sump.

Or, is it worth it to get the tank drilled and try to have another sump built from scratch for it? Would that be $Texas?

I'll post screenshots of the ad shortly.

https://imgur.com/a/9o7Rq

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That looks like it could work nice. Comes with t5s so you could swap the bulbs for something more coral friendly and you'd be good to go. Not much room in that sump for equipment but you could make it work. You could either drill it yourself (assuming it's not tempered) or keep using the overflow box.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Yeah, we'd definitely be swapping the bulbs, and t5's are nice and common.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Well gently caress it, we bought it. The guy cut us a good deal with another established nano tank. We now have three nano's running. Once we sort out the 46g, we'll consolidate down to it and the 14g, I think.

The sump is deceptive. The picture did a terrible job showing what it can hold. There's enough room in there for a protein skimmer, refugium and maybe a small reactor too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Now is the perfect time to drill that thing and set it up with a herbie or bean animal style overflow.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Enos Cabell posted:

Now is the perfect time to drill that thing and set it up with a herbie or bean animal style overflow.

Yeah, we were talking about drilling it. I'll look at Herbie and Bean Animal overflows. Apparently there's a reputable tank builder in town, I'm sure he'd drill it and build the overflow box. I'm pretty sure I can do the plumbing. The PO was using the HOB box and flexible tubing which I think looks gross and sketches me out, because I feel like it's less secure and stable.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
https://imgur.com/a/xiN7A

Any idea what this is? Came with the new tank, looks like some kind of coral but has a feather duster kind of thing that's been coming in and out of the "mouth" on the top.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Probably some kind of tube worm, a picture of the "feather duster" part would confirm. The purple blobs are probably some other organism.

Edit: I pulled the trigger on some new stuff today. I'm trying to find a new home for my montipora undata to make room.

http://www.tidalgardens.com/coral/sps/velvet-corals-montipora/mystic-sunset-montipora.html

http://www.tidalgardens.com/coral/zoanthids/stock-kedds-reds-zoanthids.html

Really looking forward to the mystic sunset, and the zoas will add a nice splash of red. I also bought a $60 4-pump automatic doser on Amazon, and I'm about to construct a stand for the tank so it doesn't have to live on a kitchen stool any more... gently caress my wallet.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 2, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Anony Mouse posted:

Probably some kind of tube worm, a picture of the "feather duster" part would confirm. The purple blobs are probably some other organism.

He's partially visible in that picture. The feathery parts are colorless and curved inwards like fingers on a hand, as opposed to a feather duster where the feathery parts curve outwards, creating an umbrella-like shape. The feathery projection only pops out quickly once every 20 seconds or so, and it opens up like a net, then closes and pulls back inside.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
It's some sort of feather duster I think. There were a couple of them living in the skeleton of my wall hammer colony for a while. They were hard to see unless the hammer was retracted and didn't seem to bother it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Cool, I didn't think they'd do that. But it sounds similar. Always learning new things.

• Locked thread