Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

Except when my NPC squad buddies run directly into it and then aggro on me for it. :( Happened when I destroyed some boxes so the NPC could fix a junction box for me. He immediately murdered me for walking into the flames, lol.

Thing-credible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish someone, anyone would make an actual good horror game lately. poo poo's as bad as with horror movies where i think the last good one released in the past probably five years+ was it follows.

Alien Isolation was excellent

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

soma was much better. i don't get why isolation gets any love.

one good game in a genre per five years or so doesn't cut it for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

I did not enjoy Soma at all but I had a lot of spooky fun with Isolation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Isolation gets love because, while it does drag on WAY too long, the core game mechanic is good and fun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Soma is a bizarre case, since it did an excellent job of making you worried that there was something stalking you, but also the times where something IS stalking you are the weakest point of the game. At the same time, if it was just a straight up walking simulator, it wouldn't be scary because in the back of your head, you know nothing can hurt you.

I don't really know how to fix it. Without the dangerous parts, the game wouldn't be scary, but the dangerous parts drag the game down by being more annoying than scary on their own. :( I enjoyed it but man it had issues.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Groovelord Neato posted:

i loved soma but didn't really think it was scary at all

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the scary part of soma has nothing to do with the monsters and i wish more horror games were effective in the same way.

A.o.D. posted:

Isolation gets love because, while it does drag on WAY too long, the core game mechanic is good and fun.

it might have been deserving of praise if it was 1/4 the length but pretty much the only accurate review of the game was by the rlm guys.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 23, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Somewhere in another dimension Silent Hills was released this year and it was literally the second coming of Jesus Christ and the meek inherited the earth.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Groovelord Neato posted:

good horror games released in the past 5 years:

outlast
until dawn
alien isolation
bloodborne
resident evil revelations
resident evil revelations 2
the last of us
the darkness 2
soma

debatable:

resident evil 6
evil within
Silent Hill: Downpour
dead space 2
dying light

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Danaru posted:

Soma is a bizarre case, since it did an excellent job of making you worried that there was something stalking you, but also the times where something IS stalking you are the weakest point of the game. At the same time, if it was just a straight up walking simulator, it wouldn't be scary because in the back of your head, you know nothing can hurt you.

I don't really know how to fix it. Without the dangerous parts, the game wouldn't be scary, but the dangerous parts drag the game down by being more annoying than scary on their own. :( I enjoyed it but man it had issues.

Is being stalked really the only scary thing you can think of? That seems remarkably unimaginative, especially given Soma did a good job of building an oppressive and hopeless atmosphere.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

I really, really liked Alien Isolation. My main problem with that game was the game-freezing bug that required me to hard reset my rig every few hours. I'm not entirely sure if it's the game's fault or if my graphics card just didn't get along with it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Relin posted:

outlast
until dawn
alien isolation
bloodborne
the last of us
the darkness 2
soma

debatable:

resident evil 6
evil within
dead space 2
dying light

RE6 is almost undebatably bad at everything except wrestling moves.
Take this discussion to the wrestling moves thread.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
co-op was pretty fun except for the wesker stage with whiteouts

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Relin posted:

outlast
until dawn
alien isolation
bloodborne
the last of us
the darkness 2
soma

debatable:

resident evil 6
evil within
dead space 2
dying light

What an incredibly depressing list. Are the RE: Revelations games actually good, or just good by the standards of the series post-4?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Irony.or.Death posted:

What an incredibly depressing list. Are the RE: Revelations games actually good, or just good by the standards of the series post-4?
Rev 1 is legit good. 2's single player campaign was a jumbled mess of throwing together several mechanics from popular horror games at the time against a wall and seeing if it stuck.

It didn't.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

al-azad posted:

Somewhere in another dimension Silent Hills was released this year and it was literally the second coming of Jesus Christ and the meek inherited the earth.

seems more likely it would open up a gate and let hellish and/or lovecraftian horrors into our world.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Relin posted:

co-op was pretty fun except for the wesker stage with whiteouts

The action mechanics kinda worked in mercs/co-p/whatever. Basically all the gamemodes besides the terrible, awful campaign that is the most important part of the game and series in general.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd probably make a case for Dark Souls 3 as a good horror, though I suppose there's a thin border between horrific and surreal/doom-y. Bloodborne does a lot more work in putting the horror elements up front and out of the impenetrable lore / oblique environmental storytelling.

Anyway, Soma was really good if you'd never read or played I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. It borrows a vast array of interesting elements from pulp literary (Ellison, PKD) and game (Irrational/Looking Glass) sources but it never really rises above particularly pensive homage. More sincere than an Asylum Films knockoff, for sure, but it's a slave to its influences in a bad way. I was way hyped for it back when the first encounter with the broken robot was released as a teaser, but the mindfuck horror of it was almost completely lost in context, once I realized it was part of yet another humdrum puzzle.

Plus the fact that I was mostly going around and unearthing backstory about dead people with no strong drive to the plot made it feel like more like an atmosphere delivery system (aka a "walking simulator") than anything with real stakes. I like my tone poem games as much as the next guy but if I had a choice I'd rather have plots and characters in those plots.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 23, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spite posted:

seems more likely it would open up a gate and let hellish and/or lovecraftian horrors into our world.

That's only if you go about ritualistically murdering Konami executives in order to merge our world with the world where that Silent Hill was made. There needs to be more games where designers or game companies themselves are killed like that one Japanese DS game that was like The Ring but for gameboys.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Crabtree posted:

That's only if you go about ritualistically murdering Konami executives in order to merge our world with the world where that Silent Hill was made. There needs to be more games where designers or game companies themselves are killed like that one Japanese DS game that was like The Ring but for gameboys.

You're thinking of Nanashi no Game

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
If you're in the mood for horror games that are actually, like, fun to play and mostly well designed, I would definitely back up the suggestion to check out Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. It takes a little bit of digging to get into the things in the games that are actually scary, but they're there, and they engender a sense of fear for personal safety better than any horror game out there because death has reasonably weighty consequences. It's a much different kind of experience from your standard spook-'em-up, but there's some real Creepin' Dread (TM) in those games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think Soma would have been just fine with less obvious game enemies. It did a good job with the explody head monster in.... I can't remember, Omega? You know it's there, and it's only actively dangerous for the last few minutes but you don't know that. The abyss itself is perfect. The enemies in tau after are just annoying.

Soma does a good job with atmosphere though, I hope they can refine that for another sci-fi horror game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dark Souls 3 is not a horror game. I know the idea is that Dark Souls Is The Christ Of Gaming, but we cannot ascribe it to every single genre ever. Bloodborne, you could make a case. There's some hosed up stuff in it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bogart posted:

Dark Souls 3 is not a horror game.

Irithyll Dungeon is a pretty big son of a bitch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, it kind of skirts the line of it, but the Souls games aren't Berserk enough to really dive headfirst in the horror roots its tapping throughout its franchise. Demon/Darksouls and Bloodborne are weird in that its a horror game where you are one of the monsters. You don't start out as King Horrifying of Fear Mountain, but you're encouraged to become the most dangerous monster of them all by the game constantly beating you down until you figure it out. It has the same right as Resident Evil does in claiming to be survival horror, but the only thing you're managing is your souls/blood AKA power, you're being hunted by other players and as either a cursed undead or a member of the hunt you're in arguably a worse place than any human becoming a zombie could be.

Its an aberrant mutant of the genre that you can make cases that it is and isn't horror that are all true depending on who is playing it and what you consider horror to be.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The king's field and shadow tower games are definitely horror games, though I'd say they're more on the fringe since they're sorta unsettling and the enemies and designs and sounds can get you feeling creeped out and nervous, but they aren't ever like pants-making GBS threads terrifying, more like "what the gently caress" scary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

I don't know, it kind of skirts the line of it, but the Souls games aren't Berserk enough to really dive headfirst in the horror roots its tapping throughout its franchise. Demon/Darksouls and Bloodborne are weird in that its a horror game where you are one of the monsters. You don't start out as King Horrifying of Fear Mountain, but you're encouraged to become the most dangerous monster of them all by the game constantly beating you down until you figure it out. It has the same right as Resident Evil does in claiming to be survival horror, but the only thing you're managing is your souls/blood AKA power, you're being hunted by other players and as either a cursed undead or a member of the hunt you're in arguably a worse place than any human becoming a zombie could be.

Its an aberrant mutant of the genre that you can make cases that it is and isn't horror that are all true depending on who is playing it and what you consider horror to be.

The whole "it's horror but YOUR THE MONSTER" thing has always struck me as a huge copout because it's very very stupid.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

You're thinking of Nanashi no Game

Thanks! That would have taken me some googling.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

The whole "it's horror but YOUR THE MONSTER" thing has always struck me as a huge copout because it's very very stupid.
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines did it well when it came to the Ocean House.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
The souls series definitely trends closers to horror then pretty much any other action hack-and-slash. Hell, the game is designed to make even the most basic trash enemies dangerous and scary.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

It doesn't work for everyone and isn't always written well, which is why whether or not its good horror depends on your tastes and fears. But you start out as a insignificant undead/hunter in a country fill of increasingly freaky arcane horrors. Instead of being some human that went into the worst location possible, you're just a mook wandering into the lair of a scaleless dragon/insert whatever boss gave you a hard time.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Tension and stress are not horror. Tension and stress make things that are actually scary more effective, but they are not horror on their own.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
perhaps we can define horror for another 5 pages and then put a clumsily written, unifying statement of the argument into the op, and then belittle those that come in to the thread with a different definition

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think horror is scary, fight me

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bloodborne and DS3 tap the same vein of metaphysical / apocalyptic horror within their settings. But the games are very much linked by theme, too, mainly in that they both feature worlds that are slowly dying / collapsing due to curse or entropy, and both are largely populated by the mortals who are corrupted or driven mad by futile, desperate attempts to avert disaster (the blood of the Gods in Bloodborne / the various attempts to keep the Flame alive in DS3).

As has been said, Bloodborne leans a bit heavier on the explicit horror vibe with its out-and-out Lovecraftian imagery, but the level / art designers at FROM are just so, so good at evoking the elastic space of dream / nightmare. Vistas that are incredibly vast from afar but incredibly tight up close, impossible architecture and placement (Lothric surrounded by massive sheer cliffs, towers jutting up from rough stone in the Profaned Capital, etc) and the sense of places as well as people being infected and corrupted. Everything is effectively weird and menacing. There's an argument to be made that the darkness in DS3 is physically crunching the setting and causing places and objects to merge into the same space. It's a lot like Pathologic, in some sense.

Also, they both rather ingeniously lean on obscurantist language cribbed from the Key of Solomon and other occult / mystic works, using it to hide or misdirect the true meaning of things. "Insight", for example, or the Healing Church.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 23, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Untended Graves in DS3 is honestly kinda spooky.

It's a world where the heroes of man or what have you never came and light just ceased to be. It's the very first area of the game again, but the sun is flat out gone, there are no stars in the sky, it's just a pitch black, monster inhabited hellhole.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 23, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You should read I Am Legend, everyone should read I Am Legend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relin posted:

bloodborne is legit the best game ever made but it's not a horror game REALLY. darkness games are too actiony and outlast literally takes place in an asylum and the ending is just too stupid for words. last of us would've been more scary and effective if they didn't make them zombies and the fungus worked the same it does for ants and not been more of a movie than a game (its ending is also insanely bad). isolation is way too long and overrated. i need something like soma that really sucks me into the world to really feel like a horror game.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

al-azad posted:

You should read I Am Legend, everyone should read I Am Legend.
And then they should watch Vincent Price in 'The Last Man on Earth'.