Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Welcome to Homicide, where every case is a "The Adjective Noun" case!

Also, let me remind everyone that this is an untagged spoilers thread, and there's a giant-rear end reveal at the end of the Homicide desk. If you don't want to know what that is before then, I recommend you stick with the front page for the next five weeks.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes for this case:

- Newspaper is dated 18th of August 1947. This means that seven months have passed rather than six.
- Floyd Rose was the detective briefly appearing in the first Patrol case. He apparently had some prior connection to Errol Schroeder. He was probably forced to retire early due to being crooked.
- Phelps pokes a corpse with his bare hands (probably a big no-no) and in any case does not discover anything the coroner couldn't have told him. Also, he effectively only checks the arms, head and chest for clues, not bothering to do the fairly obvious check of the mouth and crotch. Nor does he examine the legs or turn her over to check the back.
- The modus operandi does not actually match the historical Black Dahlia murder (she was cut in two at the waist).
- Note how Mendez' behaviour is narratively convenient, and there is no chance to interrogate him like Jacob Henry.
- Jennifer Horgan mentions that their children grew up together, though Celine had only been married to Jacob for three years, and he makes no mention of any children. Possibly offspring from a previous marriage that live with their father?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Notes for this case:

- Jennifer Horgan mentions that their children grew up together, though Celine had only been married to Jacob for three years, and he makes not mention of any children. Possibly offspring from a previous marriage that live with their father?

Her husband is 45 and her old beau is 52. Chances are her kids are all grown up by this point and in college or elsewhere. Her old husband is as likely dead as he is divorced, but either way it's clear that he's out of the picture by this point.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Her husband is 45 and her old beau is 52. Chances are her kids are all grown up by this point and in college or elsewhere. Her old husband is as likely dead as he is divorced, but either way it's clear that he's out of the picture by this point.

That is a possibility, but Celine's age is given as 43, so her children would have to have been born when she was in her early twenties at the latest. Raising them would have put a damper on her aviation dreams long before she met Jacob, so it is strange that she blames him for her unsatisfying life. You'd also think McColl and/or Jacob would also express concern about the impact her murder will have on them, so this feels like minor plot hole/developer oversight.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kopijeger posted:

- The modus operandi does not actually match the historical Black Dahlia murder (she was cut in two at the waist).

Oh, this isn't meant to be a facsimile of the Elizabeth Short murder; that one already happened, when Phelps was on the traffic desk, and happened as it mostly did in real life as Galloway describes. This murder is, however, based on a real life murder that happened in 1947 (as are I believe, all the murders on this desk), albeit earlier in the year: the murder of Jeanne French, a 45 year old Army nurse who was discovered stripped, repeatedly stomped, and BD written in lipstick on the body. All the murders of this desk are based on real life unsolved murders; really, if you want a game with a ton of unsolved murders to work with, LA in the 1940s is pretty much the crown jewel. So many dead women...The Grand Jury even launched an investigation into lack of competence in the police force, it was so bad.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Homicide has one of my favourite songs in the game, which in the files is called "New Drive (Non Urgent 02)". It's the song that plays when you and Galloway drive out for the first time. Galloway is fun though, he's rather pessimistic with a touch of misogyny but I like his world-weary attitude especially when you realise it's talking from a good deal of experience more intimately than he would want to admit.

resurgam40 posted:

The Grand Jury even launched an investigation into lack of competence in the police force, it was so bad.
Considering yanno, McAfee being the loving head of Vice and his prostitution ring, that seems unsurprising somehow.

Once more, I am super glad at your taste in music because maaaan my face just lights up everytime I hear Shadow Hearts music in some way or other. :haw: D.O.A sounds a pretty bizarre movie, I never expected a movie with a plot like that in the days before Alfred Hitchcock at least. But drat it sounds interesting, I might wanna check that one out.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 16, 2016

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Why steal a lighter?" Cause it's a friggin awesome lighter, Phelps!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Galloway is a stupid, lazy, violent drunk, but listening to him mock Phelps never gets old. :allears:

Aren't the Homicide cases the only ones in the game with multiple endings? You can pin the murder on the husband if you don't find the license plate, and I remember future homicide cases doing similar things.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Once more, I am super glad at your taste in music because maaaan my face just lights up everytime I hear Shadow Hearts music in some way or other. :haw: D.O.A sounds a pretty bizarre movie, I never expected a movie with a plot like that in the days before Alfred Hitchcock at least. But drat it sounds interesting, I might wanna check that one out.

D.O.A. is great, but Hitchcock had already been directing some of his best work before 1950 - notably Notorious, but I'm a big fan of Rope (which was kind of the Birdman of its time - shot in several takes but spliced together to form one continuous shot.)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I actually skipped the 2nd husband interview my first time around and went straight to the other suspect's place, which ends the case because the guy's got the murder weapon in a box. Got marked down for leaving him there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This series of cases always annoyed me.

So the real killer breaks into his victims' families' homes to plant incriminating evidence against the husband or whomever, and no one sees him doing this? Is he Batman? And every case has a suspect with the same shoe size? Did the killer predict that too, or is it dumb luck? Does he just sit around, waiting for women to confide that their husbands have access to tools or rope and have small feet?

I may be misremembering, but I think that's how the cases go.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

That is a possibility, but Celine's age is given as 43, so her children would have to have been born when she was in her early twenties at the latest. Raising them would have put a damper on her aviation dreams long before she met Jacob, so it is strange that she blames him for her unsatisfying life. You'd also think McColl and/or Jacob would also express concern about the impact her murder will have on them, so this feels like minor plot hole/developer oversight.

It kind of seems like Celine Henry has two mashed-together backstories, like she had one history at one point but the developers switched midway through and couldn't remove all the traces of her old past. Her husband is on the old side for being an active member of the Marine Corps in World War II, for one, plus you think more than just her neighbor would mention the fact that she has children, adult or otherwise.

Jay Rust posted:

So the real killer breaks into his victims' families' homes to plant incriminating evidence against the husband or whomever, and no one sees him doing this? Is he Batman? And every case has a suspect with the same shoe size? Did the killer predict that too, or is it dumb luck? Does he just sit around, waiting for women to confide that their husbands have access to tools or rope and have small feet?

There are an awfully large number of men in Los Angeles with unusually tiny feet, I have to say.

But if I may speculate, I believe what happened "behind the scenes" was this: Mendez took Henry home and the killer stalked them to his apartment. He then had Henry sleep it off at his place while he used her information to find her empty house and rob it. The killer took the opportunity to sneak up to Mendez's apartment, abduct and kill Celine Henry, and then drop off the box of evidence. Mendez may or may not have known about the box before the police showed up (I assume he would have waited until after dark to get rid of the box), but if he didn't know then he ran because of the robbery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

He probably chose victims based on how well the POLICE could incriminate the husband. Size 8 shoes would cover his own footsteps, but he choses victims with people who are easily framed: access to the appropriate tools (maybe stakes them out and intentionally chooses items the husband has), grievance of some kind, anger management issues, etc.

The point of Homicide is that while Cole is able to identify unusual similarities between the cases (like shoe size and methods), the cops are eager to take the easy route and convict the obvious suspect.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I like how this case could very easily lead to you pinning the murder on the husband, provided you missed the shoes.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

He probably chose victims based on how well the POLICE could incriminate the husband. Size 8 shoes would cover his own footsteps, but he choses victims with people who are easily framed: access to the appropriate tools (maybe stakes them out and intentionally chooses items the husband has), grievance of some kind, anger management issues, etc.

The point of Homicide is that while Cole is able to identify unusual similarities between the cases (like shoe size and methods), the cops are eager to take the easy route and convict the obvious suspect.
Captain Donnelly really pisses me off during this entire desk, the man is such a goddamn hypocrite because he boasts about being the justicar of the people, but all he loving cares about is a good fast result and doesn't even bother questioning possibilities. I'd hate to see this fucker's arrest record, god knows how many innocents he's sent to the gas chamber compared to most out of a hugely-inflated superiority complex as some kind of Judge Dredd figure.

If he wasn't a police captain, he'd be an evangelist.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
'You can't trust the Irish, they are all liars'

Seriously though, he's not supposed to be a sympathetic character; this is the guy who tells you to go beat a confession out of your first arrest after all. He would almost be charming if you didn't think of all the lives he's probably ruined.

Though I'm sure all of them did something wrong at some point, so they deserved it either way.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Why is there police corruption in my film noir video game?

Next thing you know, my fantasy game will have swords and dragons.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Donnelly's pretty much a carbon copy of LA Confidential's Dudley Smith, right down to the Irish brogue and the fire and brimstone rhetoric. His attitude doesn't seem too far-fetched though, particularly for the time the game is set, because quick clearances are priority one for a homicide unit in a major city even occasionally at the expense of securing a conviction when the case finally goes to court. However, this does make it seem somewhat strange that Phelps gets bumped upstairs so quickly and praised for his acuity and work ethic when a jobsworthmaverick detective like that who doesn't take the easy answers offered would probably be the bane of a homicide captain's existence.

e: Phelps should be Donnelly's Jimmy McNulty; good police, but a pain in the rear end who generates more trouble than he's worth.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

Donnelly's pretty much a carbon copy of LA Confidential's Dudley Smith, right down to the Irish brogue and the fire and brimstone rhetoric. His attitude doesn't seem too far-fetched though, particularly for the time the game is set, because quick clearances are priority one for a homicide unit in a major city even occasionally at the expense of securing a conviction when the case finally goes to court. However, this does make it seem somewhat strange that Phelps gets bumped upstairs so quickly and praised for his acuity and work ethic when a jobsworthmaverick detective like that who doesn't take the easy answers offered would probably be the bane of a homicide captain's existence.

e: Phelps should be Donnelly's Jimmy McNulty; good police, but a pain in the rear end who generates more trouble than he's worth.

I have zero idea what LA Confidential is, but Donnelly always struck me as nothing more than a massive cliche. He was my least favorite character when I played for that reason alone.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

There's a theory going around that Galloway is gay, so keep an eye out for anything that hints towards that, because there's a bit of it.
e: jesus christ cole gets some loving fire in his belly in some of these interrogations

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 17, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TomViolence posted:

I dunno, I think Phelps works out for Homicide because he has such incredibly rapid turnaround. He won't take the easiest answer, but he's excellent at badgering witnesses and suspects to the point of using threats of violence to coax information and confessions out of them. LA Noire is basically the story of a really lucky rear end in a top hat bullying his way through cases.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

I have zero idea what LA Confidential is, but Donnelly always struck me as nothing more than a massive cliche. He was my least favorite character when I played for that reason alone.

LA Confidential (the movie) is one of the best examples of neo-noir, and you should see it. LA Confidential (the novel) is by James Ellroy who is pretty much the best crime writer today, and a lot of his stuff is steeped in classic noir like this, including LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia. I have a soft spot for American Tabloid, which while not strictly noir is great if the secret history of US spooks and thugs from the late '50s until Kennedy gets shot appeals to you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

'You can't trust the Irish, they are all liars'

Seriously though, he's not supposed to be a sympathetic character; this is the guy who tells you to go beat a confession out of your first arrest after all. He would almost be charming if you didn't think of all the lives he's probably ruined.

Though I'm sure all of them did something wrong at some point, so they deserved it either way.

the weird thing is later in the game, I find phelps to be a shittier person. because of various stuff during the war and decisious he makes later on with his marrage and the fact that even after he comes off as a self righteous prick.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FinalGamer posted:

god knows how many innocents he's sent to the gas chamber compared to most out of a hugely-inflated superiority complex as some kind of Judge Dredd figure.

Judge Dredd would never knowingly send an innocent man or woman to death to advance his career!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

drat now I want a Judge Dredd game with LA Noire mechanics. One where all three dialogue options are variants of "coerce."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Loved that premise for D.O.A. - especially since the protagonist is doomed from the start and does end up dead, seems today we'd somehow get a happy ending.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

monster on a stick posted:

Why is there police corruption in my film noir video game?

Next thing you know, my fantasy game will have swords and dragons.

Donnelly is a lot of the reason why I like the Homicide desk so much. Traffic was a way to get your feet wet in terms of both gameplay and the trappings of Noir, but right out the gate in Homicide, Cole- along with the player- is confronted not only with the violence and cruelty of this crime and the jaded cynicism years of such violence engenders in the form of his partner, but the idea that the purpose of the police force is not actually to enforce the law, but to act as a sort of societal placebo. To not actually do the right thing, but to make the community at large feel "safe" by enforcing the status quo, and if that means a few people who didn't actually break the law get incarcerated or executed... well, as long as those people are "outsiders" enough that nobody who matters will make a stink, what of it? Jacob Henry might not be the suspect who murdered Celine, but he's the suspect that's here in the station, and the statistic might not be as high as Galloway put it, but most domestic murders are committed by the spouse, so why not put him away, to sooth the community and get the press off their backs?

A lot of women died in the '40s around this area, as I said before, and a lot of people wrongly pursued and incarcerated, because of such prevailing attitudes. We'd like to believe that policing is better today, but...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

White Coke posted:

Judge Dredd would never knowingly send an innocent man or woman to death to advance his career!
Oh no, of course he never would because nobody is innocent in MegaCity One.

TomViolence posted:

drat now I want a Judge Dredd game with LA Noire mechanics. One where all three dialogue options are variants of "coerce."
Judge Dredd: Dredd Vs. Death is a pretty awesome PS2 game that's also on Steam to play and it does have a very unique approach. You can basically arrest anyone because there will be some small demeanour or even greater crime they committed, and it will actually tell you the crime and sentence due. I don't think there's any purely innocent person in the game you can wrongfully incarcerate and it's pretty hilarious since they range from drug smuggling and vandalism, to "illegally owning a goldfish without a licence".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

White Coke posted:

In one of the now-closed threads here on police abuse, someone commented that despite comparisons being made between American cops and Judge Dredd, Dredd was actually a far better police officer than the real ones.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, so far we've seen that Cole has been a pretty through and level headed detective. Think of how much money the tax payers of California and the Federal Government would be saving if they just let him pass judgement on the spot for everyone he caught.

I mean what's the worst that could happen if you just obediently followed his orders without question?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

In one of the now-closed threads here on police abuse, someone commented that despite comparisons being made between American cops and Judge Dredd, Dredd was actually a far better police officer than the real ones.
Which is weird considering he was inspired by the dictatorial regime of Francisco Franco (hence the prominent golden eagle in his police division), for Dredd was not the problem with the world. The world itself was the problem in being a society that made everything illegal, but higher-ups exploited loopholes for their own personal gain. Dredd however is the protagonist purely for the fact that he is an incorruptible force of absolute totalitarian law because "nobody is above the law" and nobody should ever be.

Sorry for the slight derail, my dad was a huge fan of Judge Dredd and I kinda picked up on a lot of this stuff a few years ago. Cole is a good police officer in the sense that he does actually care about justice and wanting to do right by people. It's just he has no bedside manner and never did. I can tell from his army days that he used to be a real hard-hitter shining out for a juicy sweet promotion, wanting only respect and adulation. But now...something along the way has happened during the war that made him want to just be a good citizen to help out other people. Problem is the war also took any want for him to be close to anyone again, in fact I'm surprised he's even married.

Not that we ever get any indication of his wife like loving ever, which is legit the worst part of this game's writing.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 18, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The thing with Cole is that he was ambitious and thought he was just better than the average man. Young, naive and ambitious he wanted to use the war to make a name for himself, becoming part of history. Too bad for him the war just chewed people up and spit them out.

During the war he had a reputation of being a stickler for the rules, coming across as a holier-than-thou know-it-all and refusing to take suggestions from others (and also being able to sneak up on people). Typical Boy Scout. All of those eventually pile up on top of each other and the extreme hubris leads to him inadvertently causing a war crime. Back in LA he just wants to pretend it never happened, every time the war comes up he just clams up and waits for the person talking to get bored or changes the topic himself. His sticking to the letter of the law is either part of his old self shining though or him trying to atone for what he did.

Though he's surrounded by some of the most hosed up people in America he never waivers (though he becomes really loving jaded during Vice) but for some reason falls for a Jazz singer and has an affair. There is literally no explanation as to why he does this, what caused him to turn on his wife (whom we only see twice) or his daughters (who are only ever mentioned in passing).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So what happens if the husband beats Cole like the namp-pampy schoolboy he is knocks out Cole? Is there a 'mission failed' screen or something?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I think you just get a "lol u dead" screen the same way if you get gunned down or run over by a car.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Though he's surrounded by some of the most hosed up people in America he never waivers (though he becomes really loving jaded during Vice) but for some reason falls for a Jazz singer and has an affair. There is literally no explanation as to why he does this, what caused him to turn on his wife (whom we only see twice) or his daughters (who are only ever mentioned in passing).
The entire jazz singer feels like a marketing tool more than anything else. She's not a bad character in herself, she just has absolutely no relevance beyond one single case and it feels more and more like they HAD to put in some sorta dame for Cole to fall in love with, because they already had the game's coverart done up with her.

They could have just, I dunno, NOT had him married and make way less of a mess, but it's around her the story starts to come apart at its seams pretty clearly. I remember hearing the head writer of this game was rather insufferable, or someone higher up in the LA Noire development team and I'm not surprised frankly.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

I'd hate to see this fucker's arrest record, god knows how many innocents he's sent to the gas chamber compared to most out of a hugely-inflated superiority complex as some kind of Judge Dredd figure.

For a while, I wasn't sure why I was getting the less than optimal rating on some cases on this desk. It wasn't until I realized that I wasn't supposed to accuse suspects based on which one I thought was guilty, but which one the department was most likely to be able to convict, and ESPECIALLY which ones the captain disliked the most. It was an interesting departure, especially from Traffic where things were less ambiguous.

There's always a sense of doubt and uncertainty throughout the entire murder desk, no matter how good you do here, which I really like! It helps make everything feel a bit more human and less "I am playing a video game and looking for the optimal score at all times"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

"Why steal a lighter?" Cause it's a friggin awesome lighter, Phelps!

I agree and I feel like I should point out that Rockstar liked that lighter enough to create real versions of it for you to buy. Though I dont think they were puzzles as well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm sorry, but Phelps sternly saying "you're off the hook, for now" to a grieving child made me burst out laughing for like a solid minute

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The girl arguably contradicts herself by first telling about the make-up present and then claiming they had a happy marriage. Plus, she suddenly switched to "mom and dad" at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Be on the lookout for noted video game celebrity and Giant Bomb member Dan Ryckert, who is one of the reporters in this case.

• Locked thread