Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Plus the Batmobile lost a wheel.

Also Robin is going to be a father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Also, the really long collecting objectives in 64 (8 red coins, 5 special coins, 100 coins) were entirely skippable unless you wanted to 100%.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Good news: one of my co-workers just gave me a new, unopened headset out of the blue for free!

Bad news: it's a Logitech headset

I loved my Logitech G930. It only started to go after like 4 years though which is why I got rid of it for a standard pair of headphones and a desk mic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, the really long collecting objectives in 64 (8 red coins, 5 special coins, 100 coins) were entirely skippable unless you wanted to 100%.

The 100 coins in particular are the only stars I don't get on replays, they're usually just tedious. I'm glad by galaxy they had moved away from that design entirely and by Galaxy 2 every star was basically it's own level

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

In Training posted:

The 100 coins in particular are the only stars I don't get on replays, they're usually just tedious. I'm glad by galaxy they had moved away from that design entirely and by Galaxy 2 every star was basically it's own level

Even the 8 Red Coin stars I tend to skip unless they're all bunched together really close (i.e. Lethal Lava Land)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Prince of Persia 08 was a pretty bad collectathon because they gated you until you got enough things to continue and they made you collect a lot. so it wasnt just good enough to colorify an area you had to then go back through the entire area collecting poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah rather than revolving around collecting stuff, 3D Marios mostly used collectibles to track level completion and gate content through that. by the galaxies there aren't many collectathon elements aside from some mission types.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 23, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The green stars in Galaxy 2 were cool because they were almost romhack level star locations and they often just put them out in the middle of nowhere requiring a suicidal wall jump or something

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

a lot of the green stars felt like filler to me, but I enjoyed G2 enough that I appreciated a victory lap through the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tembo the Badass Elephant would be a great game if it didnt have the ridiculous collectable gates

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tembo the Badass Elephant would be a great game if it didnt have the ridiculous collectable gates

The controls for that always felt slightly off to me, I blame Unity.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow, Battleborn already got torpedoed to $40, on the week of Overwatch release lol. it probably won't even affect sales.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm really excited about Overwatch. I hope everyone likes class based team shooters because this is going to be the new trend for FPS titles in the next year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Don't you mean the last 10 years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I'm really excited about Overwatch. I hope everyone likes class based team shooters because this is going to be the new trend for FPS titles in the next year.

most if not all will probably crash hard, Battleborn was the closest anyone looks to have gotten to Overwatch's polish and that's already hitting the skids. What are the others, Vainglory and Paladin and poo poo, they all have the most generic names.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paladins, Paragon...that one for PC that's attempting to be Overwatch but super edgy with heroes that have PG-13 rated dialogue.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tembo the Badass Elephant would be a great game

[extremely wikipedia voice] citation needed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i really wanted to like it, it was like sonic kong country, except that because of the gates, you can't just run through a level and have fun, you have to carefully find every single enemy and if you miss any and reach the end you're like gently caress i hope i got enough ughhhhh i have to do it agaaaaain

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Game freak loves numbers going up

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Prince of Persia 08 was a pretty bad collectathon because they gated you until you got enough things to continue and they made you collect a lot. so it wasnt just good enough to colorify an area you had to then go back through the entire area collecting poo poo

My main beef with PoP'08 is how artificial everything felt. None of the platforming even made an effort to seem organic, it was just snapping to grid - slide at this designated wall slide point until you reach the designated wall jump point, follow the designated path of grabby bars, step on the magical plate and do a little scripted minigame. I don't remember if de-gunking an area made a significant difference in the paths you could take but almost every path felt the same anyway so there was no way for retreading the same ground to be interesting.

You can probably pick up enough dinguses for one of those powers before getting bored, run through however many levels that gets you access to, then put the game down. I think that might be the optimal experience unless for some reason you care about the story.

I said come in! posted:

Overwatch was fun in the beta but $40 for a videogame is too rich for my blood. If Blizzard ever has it for 50% off and it's still good and alive by then, I'll probably buy it. In the meantime it's gotten me to pick up TF2 again and it turns out TF2 is still really good.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 23, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My Saint's Row hot take:

Yeah, Saint's Row 2 had the best world out of the bunch of them, but Saint's Row 3 was still pretty fun if you were driving around and doing sweet road tricks and stuff. I had a lot of fun playing around with the VTOL jet and the hoverbike.

My problem with Saint's Row 4 is that, while the actual gameplay of superjumping around and just wrecking poo poo with flashy superpowers is really fun, the world from Saint's Row 3 gets a lot less interesting when you no longer have to traverse it. The game's muted environmental color pallets didn't help matters. I think Saint's Row 4 would have been a better game if they'd gone to more lengths to make it like a surreal computer city, but obviously the issues at THQ at the time made such a thing impossible.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Stillwater felt like an actual city in SR2, Steelport felt more like a game map, and it felt like that even more in SRIV

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the New DOOM is good and not bad like everyone thought it was going to be and I will probably play it at some point

DOOM

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The strangest thing about SR4 is that they chose to set it entirely at night. Fuckin' weird choice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MinibarMatchman posted:

most if not all will probably crash hard, Battleborn was the closest anyone looks to have gotten to Overwatch's polish and that's already hitting the skids. What are the others, Vainglory and Paladin and poo poo, they all have the most generic names.

Don't forget CliffyB's new game Lawbreakers which looks as loving generic and boring as you can get!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget CliffyB's new game Lawbreakers which looks as loving generic and boring as you can get!

Oh I think this was the "Overwatch but edgggggy" game I remember seeing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You might also be thinking of the one with the schoolboy note book scribble aesthetic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VideoGames posted:

Why does the remaster look so bad compared to the original? All screenshots I have seen are quite poor.

all of the cutscenes in asylum and city were pre-rendered cutscenes, now they are in game. doesnt excuse all of it though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I still found Prince of Persia 08 fun because yeah you had to go around collecting stuff, but it was all part of the platforming and iirc there were new places that opened up once you purified areas so the platforming could change

I like 08 and it's a shame they're probably not gonna go back to that style

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm glad the New DOOM is good and not bad like everyone thought it was going to be and I will probably play it at some point

DOOM

its not good at all. its great and amazing. :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

Oh I think this was the "Overwatch but edgggggy" game I remember seeing.

its not even edgy its just boring and generic, like brink but without the ugly art style.

MinibarMatchman posted:

wow, Battleborn already got torpedoed to $40, on the week of Overwatch release lol. it probably won't even affect sales.

I have heard nothing good about it at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

You might also be thinking of the one with the schoolboy note book scribble aesthetic

That's Drawn To Death, which looks super low :effort:

In their defense I think its indie? But yeah, none of those will be remembered a year from now but Overwatch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
has anyone completed DOOM? If so, how long did it take? I really want to play it, but I'm strongly considering renting it from redbox and trying to finish in like 3 days. I can't justify spending $60 on it, but ~$10 for 10-15 hours of fun could be pretty reasonable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

has anyone completed DOOM? If so, how long did it take? I really want to play it, but I'm strongly considering renting it from redbox and trying to finish in like 3 days. I can't justify spending $60 on it, but ~$10 for 10-15 hours of fun could be pretty reasonable.

I completed it, I spent a LOT of time loving around looking for secrets, so my playtime is probably on the upper bound, but it took me a full 13 hours to complete.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

12 hours being fairly completionist + bad at video games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That's Drawn To Death, which looks super low :effort:

In their defense I think its indie? But yeah, none of those will be remembered a year from now but Overwatch.

It's a Sony first party game I believe. Er well it's the twisted metal guy who maybe just works with Sony closely?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

TheScott2K posted:

This but Privateer in the Firefly universe.

Are you slagging Privateer? What do you have against Privateer?

Besides, those are two properties that are basically dead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I completed it, I spent a LOT of time loving around looking for secrets, so my playtime is probably on the upper bound, but it took me a full 13 hours to complete.

exquisite tea posted:

12 hours being fairly completionist + bad at video games.

Cool. That actually sounds perfect. A younger me would never have hoped for a game to be short, but more and more I feel like I want a game I can finish in a few 2-3 hour sittings. I might try to rent it then. I feel like If I set the time asside, and I could play 10 hours of a game in 3 days and that would be pretty cost efficient.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If anyone's going to be playing Overwatch on the PlayStation 4 and is looking for someone to party and play together with, add kittypoptart. I am a team player who doesn't hurl curses or epithets, and I try to use good mic etiquette to keep annoying noises down. I also shoot mans real good.

I would like the next Batman game to focus a little more on his detective skills. The last few games have had detective vision but that just creates a new trail to follow and the computer does all the work. There are some lessons from the latest Sherlock Holmes game that I think could be implemented the next time the World's Greatest Detective has to solve a murder. And going off of what Palpek said about the next game focusing on one villain at a time, I think that the developers should look hard at making an episodic title where each episode revolves around one or two members of Batman's rogue's gallery. A crime is committed, Batman arrives on the scene a few minutes before the cops, takes a look around and then the player can examine dossiers of people who are currently out of Arkham to see what matches and where they should go next. Gotham Noire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have heard nothing good about it at all.
I had fun playing the co-op, enough that I would pick it up on a sale if the servers were still up. But as far as PvP I'd rather play Overwatch than that color vomit momentum based MOBA poo poo. Leveling up works for me in co-op cause the monsters don't get fed.

• Locked thread