Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

How the gently caress did Shireen get greyscale?

Are the Dorne chicks the only family actively plotting against the Lannisters as a whole? I think that's the only thing that makes them relevant, at all.

Shireen got greyscale because she didnt like any of her toys and Stannis bought her a new toy from a foreign merchant and the toy infected Shireen with greyscale when she cuddled with it.

Greyscale is a common and deadly disease that breaks out once in a while in the good version of the story (the books)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

zoux posted:

There's a list of leaked plot points that the spoiler thread has.

Hodor wasnt leaked until the episode itself leaked about 20 hours early.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If we're going on what the Targs felt was ok, he can marry Sansa

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Is it not obvious to people that Bran and Meera are going to go find out from Daddy Reed what happened at the Tower of Joy?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

If we're going on what the Targs felt was ok, he can marry Sansa

If he's a targ, sansa is his cousin while dany is his aunt. I feel like aunt would be worse.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Why can't I get some rock hard Jon Snow cock in my life :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheRat posted:

Hodor wasnt leaked until the episode itself leaked about 20 hours early.

Either way it'd be cool if they didn't take it as an opportunity to post "Yep, sure sucks huh" while the show is still happening so we'd know that they knew beforehand.

Super Deuce posted:

Is it not obvious to people that Bran and Meera are going to go find out from Daddy Reed what happened at the Tower of Joy?

Yeah but if you admitted that then you couldn't pretend like the Hodor flashback was "underwhelming" as a final flashback.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Either way it'd be cool if they didn't take it as an opportunity to post "Yep, sure sucks huh" while the show is still happening so we'd know that they knew beforehand.
Yeah but if you admitted that then you couldn't pretend like the Hodor flashback was "underwhelming" as a final flashback.
Some of them spent the past 20 hours nerdraging in the spoilerthread beforehand. Its a compulsion. They NEED to let you know how bad it is!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

quote:

Jojen Reed: "When I told my father about your father, for the first time in my life, I saw him cry."
Bran Stark: "Your father is Howland Reed. He saved my father's life during the rebellion."
Jojen Reed: "Your father told you about the rebellion? Mine never did."

— Jojen Reed and Bran Stark talk about their fathers

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
My take on the Hodor thing is that Hodor really isn't simple in the Orson Lannister way. That little flash of the eyes was young him warging into old him right as he was dying. So he's not simple, he's just literally dead inside courtesy of Bran and Bloodraven.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
We made White Walkers as a weapon... against you!

While a cool revelation, I know I have seen this exact reveal before. There was a variation of it in Serenity. But where was the exact version? One of the Alien movies maybe? Drawing a blank.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheRat posted:

Some of them spent the past 20 hours nerdraging in the spoilerthread beforehand. Its a compulsion. They NEED to let you know how bad it is!

I know, I read the spoiler thread for the same reason that they watch GoT.

Finndo posted:

We made White Walkers as a weapon... against you!

While a cool revelation, I know I have seen this exact reveal before. There was a variation of it in Serenity. But where was the exact version? One of the Alien movies maybe? Drawing a blank.

Making a weapon to destroy an enemy only to meet a bad end at the hands of that weapon is a pretty well worn narrative hook. Pretty much every non-heavily serialized sci fi show has done an episode like that (Including all five Star Treks!)

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 23, 2016

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The only big disappointment during this episode was when that king didn't drown during his coronation.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well, I don't think I've ever been more wrong about anything than I was about Hodor... in my defence though: loving hell.

Did anyone notice that the White Walker Meera shanked with the spear appears to be the same guy that Jon took out at Hardhome?

A casting oversight, or evidence that the White Walkers can somehow reform themselves after they're "killed"?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

zoux posted:

Why would that be underwhelming? Welp, the Blackwater fight water underwhelming because Stannis never even saw Joffrey. Like, what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Why would that be underwhelming? Welp, the Blackwater fight water underwhelming because Stannis never even saw Joffrey. Like, what?

It's bad faith criticism so people can be mad at a show they already don't like.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

zoux posted:

It's bad faith criticism so people can be mad at a show they already don't like.

Yet they keep watching/posting about it

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
Hodor. :(

Kid Hodor didn't Hodor like our Hodor. The accent was completely different. Still, he got to Hodor and he did so well enough, a fine role to add to his acting resume.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Lucky us.

Violent Kitten posted:

Hodor. :(

Kid Hodor didn't Hodor like our Hodor. The accent was completely different. Still, he got to Hodor and he did so well enough, a fine role to add to his acting resume.

The man was a 30 year veteran of Hodoring!

I can't remember where I saw it but someone noted that the time span between GRRM planting the Hodor seed in the story and us finding out about it is about the same as the time span between Kid Hodor and Final Hodor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor Butts posted:

How the gently caress did Shireen get greyscale?

Are the Dorne chicks the only family actively plotting against the Lannisters as a whole? I think that's the only thing that makes them relevant, at all.

Phi230 posted:

Shireen got greyscale because she didnt like any of her toys and Stannis bought her a new toy from a foreign merchant and the toy infected Shireen with greyscale when she cuddled with it.

Greyscale is a common and deadly disease that breaks out once in a while in the good version of the story (the books)

To add to this, Stannis mentions "a new father must have seemed like an easy target"

Its implied that the merchant who sold Stannis the doll for Shireen did so knowingly having infected the doll with greyscale. It was a trap for Stannis / assassination plot for Shireen.

Batham posted:

The only big disappointment during this episode was when that king didn't drown during his coronation.

Euron actually drowning would have been hilarious, especially since he considers himself the Drowned God in the flesh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kristin Nairn Hodor's actor) did an interview with EW and insisted that the ending was pretty open-ended. Could become a white walker, could have escaped. So I'm guessing we haven't seen the end of Hodor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh yeah, that reminds me - the whole "Howland Reed warging into Arthur Dayne" theory kinda fell apart, didn't it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can you imagine how crazy Max Von Sydow must have been by the end? He had to watch like 50 seasons of Game of Thrones while he was stuck in that tree, keeping his own wiki the whole time so he'd know what to tell Bran. So much Dorne. He probably doesn't even care when there are boobs any more.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Jack Gladney posted:

He probably doesn't even care when there are boobs any more.
Dude surrounded himself with nothing but tree/elf/whetever chicks. Dude got al the titties he needed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hodor got the bolt on the door closed and ran away after being cured of his Hodor. His name is now Rod Largenstein.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

To add to this, Stannis mentions "a new father must have seemed like an easy target"

Its implied that the merchant who sold Stannis the doll for Shireen did so knowingly having infected the doll with greyscale. It was a trap for Stannis / assassination plot for Shireen.

And the ship/merchant is from Dorne as well. Would fit Ellaria's MO.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
So can Bran only travel back to times and areas where those old trees are planted? Is he going to go all the way back to when Bran the Builder was around and we find out he was warging into him to build the wall? I'm just wondering why those elves literally killed themselves just to get Bran out. He must be about to do something big that effects things in the past.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The Duggler posted:

and they keep promising to stop watching but it's now week 5 and here we are

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

So can Bran only travel back to times and areas where those old trees are planted? Is he going to go all the way back to when Bran the Builder was around and we find out he was warging into him to build the wall? I'm just wondering why those elves literally killed themselves just to get Bran out. He must be about to do something big that effects things in the past.

Was there a weirwood tree at the Tower of Joy?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://gfycat.com/LongQualifiedElephantseal of the mediocre cgi at the end of the ep, this one jumped out at me

https://gfycat.com/WellwornVastGrassspider me watching this season

throwing my blue orbs at the zombies like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfibSaDHrM&t=81s

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

If he gets anywhere at all without dying of exposure or white walker attack it'll be a goddamn miracle

As someone who grew up in a place like "Above the wall" realistically they wouldn't. All those Crasters wives would be dead too. Pretty much you got less than an hour without the wind and blizzard. With those conditions like last night they got about 10 minutes tops barring some 1 in a million miracle story. If they survived they have serious frostbite on their ears, noses and pretty much any exposed or lightly covered flesh. Hell it can happen even if they are covered well and just walking around if they don't remember to flex their fingers and toes in their gloves/boots every so often. Luckily this is a story realm and this north is far easier to walk around in. Its chuckle worthy for me as I watch it. If they do it right they can make a harrowing chase sequence ala the Shining. I still am pissed they didn't call Summer the Wolf to come follow them as they could have tied Bran's lil cot as a makeshift sled. Or at least use him to help keep them safe as he slowly got more and more injured. I really just hate seeing the wolves die in general.

Phi230 posted:

Rhaegar prophesied that one of his children would be the Prince that was Promised.

Because none of his kids with his wife Elia turned out to be a superhero he seduced/raped Lyanna Stark to fulfill the "song of ice and fire" believing that his family was the fire and the Stark family being ice.

And thus Jon was born and we still dont know if hes a superhero from a prophesy yet

Serious question: where do you book guys get this past detail stuff (example: the prophecy)? I don't want to go in that thread as I don't want any other question answered but this one and I want to try and remain spoiler free. I read three (?) of the books after starting the show but there was almost never any details like the ones you guys speak of. I didn't really like the books so I stopped but can read wiki. That same wikipedia mentions the books after I stopped seemed like really nothing but what we have seen on the show or less. Did Martin actually contribute this stuff online via blog or is this fan made history? I keep hearing this stuff from you book dudes and it doesn't make me go rawr as much as just wonder where it keeps coming from.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Von_Doom posted:

As someone who grew up in a place like "Above the wall" realistically they wouldn't. All those Crasters wives would be dead too. Pretty much you got less than an hour without the wind and blizzard. With those conditions like last night they got about 10 minutes tops barring some 1 in a million miracle story. If they survived they have serious frostbite on their ears, noses and pretty much any exposed or lightly covered flesh. Hell it can happen even if they are covered well and just walking around if they don't remember to flex their fingers and toes in their gloves/boots every so often. Luckily this is a story realm and this north is far easier to walk around in

an interesting theory, but have you considered we've now reached plot explanations and magic worthy of a bad star trek episode into your calculations? :grin:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

As someone who grew up in a place like "Above the wall" realistically they wouldn't. All those Crasters wives would be dead too. Pretty much you got less than an hour without the wind and blizzard. With those conditions like last night they got about 10 minutes tops barring some 1 in a million miracle story. If they survived they have serious frostbite on their ears, noses and pretty much any exposed or lightly covered flesh. Hell it can happen even if they are covered well and just walking around if they don't remember to flex their fingers and toes in their gloves/boots every so often.

Are we ever told a temperature? Because what you're describing is like -40 territory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

Serious question: where do you book guys get this past detail stuff (example: the prophecy)? I don't want to go in that thread as I don't want any other question answered but this one and I want to try and remain spoiler free. I read three (?) of the books after starting the show but there was almost never any details like the ones you guys speak of. I didn't really like the books so I stopped but can read wiki. That same wikipedia mentions the books after I stopped seemed like really nothing but what we have seen on the show or less. Did Martin actually contribute this stuff online via blog or is this fan made history? I keep hearing this stuff from you book dudes and it doesn't make me go rawr as much as just wonder where it keeps coming from.

It's in there, but it's typically doled out one line at a time:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_prince_that_was_promised

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Von_Doom posted:

Serious answer: those things are totally in the books. Obviously if you only skim the wiki you miss a lot of the details.

Also GRRM has written several prequel books to the series at this point, so those count too.

TLDR: Its in Clash of Kings, Danny sees a vision. If you read the first three books...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Also GRRM has written several prequel books to the series at this point, so those count too

lol he should finish THE WINDS OF WINTER

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
cancel this show, its poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Orange Red Bull posted:

lol he should finish THE WINDS OF WINTER

He obviously has no interest/no ability to finish the series and is probably extremely glad that HBO is going to set him free of it in 2 or 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This show has really jumped the shark.

I can't decide what was dumber about the ending: the zombies literally running on the ceiling, the Farscape girl blowing herself up or the reveal that one of the characters was called "Hold the door".

• Locked thread