Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

I'd rather spend a twenty on random boxes than a spread of skins I don't particularly like, or extra bits for games I will not be playing after Overwatch is released. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Willie Tomg posted:

It was fantastic in its day. When you had a 12v12 of generally competent players like almost always happened on the LCs and Reddit servers it was fire. and then:

Poopy Joe was a Monkeynaut who tragically died in an explosion shortly after his rocket took off, due to a lack of Australium fuel. This was caused by Mann Co. in their unsuccessful attempt to rid themselves of weapons involved in a Senate investigation. Mann Co. took no blame for his death, and actually created commemorative plates that remembered Poopy Joe and America's dream of conquering space and Florida. These plates were actually hints of the then-upcoming WAR! Update, depicting the Eyelander, Equalizer and Buff Banner's bugle.

During the ARG leading up to Meet the Pyro, new information came to light concerning the death of Poopy Joe. According to leaked pages from Saxton Hale's Senate Hearing, Poopy Joe's rocket seems to have used a fuel source of solid australium. Saxton Hale was present at the launch facility when Poopy Joe and his rocket were prepared for launch to follow the successful launch of Vladimir Bananas. Hale stole the entire australium supply and replaced it with defective suitcase explosives. Once the rocket hit ignition phase, the entire bulk of suitcase bombs detonated simultaneously, causing the rocket to crash, killing Poopy Joe. Mann Co. then covered up the entire incident, denying all knowledge of it. The new Special Delivery map Doomsday has the player transport an Australium suitcase into Poopy Joe's rocket, re-enacting the piece of history. Unfortunately, the rocket crashes almost immediately to the tune of a warning bugle.

RIP tf2. You were the best part of the orange box. You don't owe anyone a drat thing. Rest easy, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XimRzoie80k

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zzulu posted:

loving americans and your loving timezones

loving americans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8Mnvdp6S0

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

sure, okay!

All I'm reading is you being salty about my nuts and bolts swirling fedora wearing, gibbing into invisibility, backstabbing for full health Spy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i get off work in 5 hours

:toot:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Until this game implements hats and hat economies it will pale in comparison to the great and mighty game known as TF2, sorry folks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lastgirl posted:

I stopped playing because the soldier demo nade rocket spam was outrageous and they introduced more weapons to make them even spammier

It was more when they started introducing items that changed the basic class mechanics. Demo's that can run faster than scouts and heal off metal? What?! Heavies that can move silently? Spy cloaks that make you invulnerable while cloaked? The power creep got ridiculous, and the demographic ate it up.

I'm also super glad its limited to 6v6 and its not just huge spam fests. You have to pay attention in this game, and hopefully it keeps the casuals out. (Who am I kidding I'm a casual, but you know what I mean).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

i feel nothing but empathy and pity for the people who worked on the game, and nothing but schadenfreude for the higher ups and the company itself

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

I would have but the Origins exclusive skins all suck except for Pharah's which is good but her Gundam skin is cooler anyways so who cares.

Better to blow $20 on loot boxes than to buy Origins IMO.

Ulvirich posted:

I'd rather spend a twenty on random boxes than a spread of skins I don't particularly like, or extra bits for games I will not be playing after Overwatch is released. :v:

:hf:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

anime was right posted:

or, y'know, people are capable of making a mediocre game

the aliens colonial marines thing seems like it was money laundering or something going on there. but battleborn was made by an actual team with actual resources.

lol yea guy, your vote matters and jet fuel can melt steel beams :rolleyes:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

All I'm reading is you being salty about my nuts and bolts swirling fedora wearing, gibbing into invisibility, backstabbing for full health Spy.

they make pills for that btw

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jastiger posted:

It was more when they started introducing items that changed the basic class mechanics. Demo's that can run faster than scouts and heal off metal? What?! Heavies that can move silently? Spy cloaks that make you invulnerable while cloaked? The power creep got ridiculous, and the demographic ate it up.

I'm also super glad its limited to 6v6 and its not just huge spam fests. You have to pay attention in this game, and hopefully it keeps the casuals out. (Who am I kidding I'm a casual, but you know what I mean).

This is the thing I noticed when I tried out tf2, it was 16v16.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
http://onlywat.ch/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

lol

Willie Tomg posted:

they make pills for that btw

Sorry only hats can cure my hatlust.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

To be fair, Blizzard isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. They have a long and storied history of scheduling open betas, free trials, welcome back campaigns, and aggressively stepped-up marketing around the releases and betas of games they perceive to be their competition.

Well obviously if the free market didnt want this type of behavior it wou.... *slumps over, banging head on desk repeatedly, yelling "OPEN THE loving SERVERS ALREADY" while drooling on self*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jesus Christ, that's worse than Evolve

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jastiger posted:

now its all coming back to me, the demo with the insane insta kill charges

at the time everyone was just like thast so wacky! :xd: but I guess in retrospect...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/05/06/battleborn-is-the-ugliest-game-ive-ever-loved/#7f0664733079

Even people who love Overwatch think it looks ugly as hell

He actually describes it as "lovecraftian" :lol:

quote:

It’s not just the in-game graphics I’m talking about, it’s how Battleborn presents itself at every turn. The title screen is an ugly collage of all the characters, put to shame by other games who have made similar-looking splash screens from League of Legends to Overwatch. Once you load in, the game’s prologue is an oddly animated cutscene that looks like a low-budget Gorillaz music video. But then sometimes in other missions, it shifts into a frame-by-frame animation with more shading where characters talk to one another. Sometimes it does cutscenes in-engine. There’s really no consistency at all.

Even the fonts of the menus feel like sand in your eyes. They mix one that’s cartoony and Borderlands-ish with…Arial? I think? It’s not Comic Sans, at least, but it’s just…not good. And as you navigate the hero list and see characters with twig-arms and shrunken heads or ugly power armor, it’s like the exact opposite of the feeling joy you get from looking at the cast of Overwatch or seeing a freshly designed DOTA or League champion.

So loving bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lol if you didn't think this game was gonna fail.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
five hours to go...

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving savage

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
https://www.facebook.com/PlayOverwatch/videos/614129325411546/

Developer Update | Live Q&A with Kaplan

"Competitive Mode" will be the first major update to the game. Possibly end of June.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2016

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Ulvirich posted:

Same. Didn't like any of em.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
In my view, Battleborn is a disaster. It is one of the greatest failures of game design in gaming history. What we are going to say to the Battleborn marketing team is "It must end, or we are going to end it for you."

Enough is enough. We must preserve our retinas for our future and our children's future. Blindness is real, and it is caused by devastating strobe effects and garish color schemes. Thank you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lastgirl posted:

now its all coming back to me, the demo with the insane insta kill charges

at the time everyone was just like thast so wacky! :xd: but I guess in retrospect...

yeah I hated it from day one as a Gamer Snob. I grew up on TFC with a 56k modem, and ROcket/Conc jumps were the mark of competency. Now you can right click and get an insta kill and then zip away for full health. Game broken.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
side note: lol that Forbes is the grown-up video games journalism publication in 2016

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Wangsbig posted:

it started off being very simple & balanced like this game, the over watch. it is hard to missmanage competitive vgames harder than vavle llc tho, so do not fear

I am quite certain I used to play when the most radical thing you could do was have a sword as demoman. Could be any number of years ago.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sad that I'm broke till Friday and then going out of town (away from my PC) all Memorial day weekend, so I'll miss out on the first week fun.

I do have a philosophical question though.

In any new FPS game, you will notice that if you're semi-competent at FPS games in general, you will feel like Mars the God of War the first couple of days post-launch, or like when a game gets a free weekend on Steam, getting a huge KD ration and just stomping people.

A week later you'll get your poo poo pushed in until you actually git gud.

My question is: does this happen because the people who suck get better that quickly, or because they just stop playing?

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I can't get tomorrow off work - training day. Game comes out at 12am for me. How much Overwatch can I play and also still look presentable for work?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Imagined posted:

My question is: does this happen because the people who suck get better that quickly, or because they just stop playing?

Yes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willie Tomg posted:

side note: lol that Forbes is the grown-up video games journalism publication in 2016

its just a blog publishing thing

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I said it in the other game and I'll say it again, Gearbox has always been bad. From Half Life: Opposing Force, to Borderlands, to this, Gear Box has always put out a bad product. Some fun writing and dialogue, but as a total package their games are at best Below Average. This is just more evidence of this.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lastgirl posted:

In my view, Battleborn is a disaster. It is one of the greatest failures of game design in gaming history. What we are going to say to the Battleborn marketing team is "It must end, or we are going to end it for you."

Enough is enough. We must preserve our retinas for our future and our children's future. Thank you.

I'm just always really sad when a game turns out horrible like this. I'm sure the devs really wanted to make something special and put a lot of their heart into it but it looks like it got mismanaged and mislead to hell. Gearbox just didn't have the kind of sense to can the thing like Blizzard did with Titan and we ended up with this Frankenstein disaster that should never have lived to begin with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

Its really just like one or two guys who think Destiny is really loving cool and can't stop posting about it. I think the major Forbes editors just don't give a gently caress and figured if it gets them some more web traffic from teenagers or whatever then there's no reason not to.

Journalism in 2016.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm just always really sad when a game turns out horrible like this. I'm sure the devs really wanted to make something special and put a lot of their heart into it but it looks like it got mismanaged and mislead to hell. Gearbox just didn't have the kind of sense to can the thing like Blizzard did with Titan and we ended up with this Frankenstein disaster that should never have lived to begin with.

Gearbox was always bad hope this helps

just take it to the woodshed, it's suffering.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

I liked Opposing Force :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Jastiger posted:

I said it in the other game and I'll say it again, Gearbox has always been bad. From Half Life: Opposing Force, to Borderlands, to this, Gear Box has always put out a bad product. Some fun writing and dialogue, but as a total package their games are at best Below Average. This is just more evidence of this.

Borderlands is good though. :colbert: