Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's good man try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FishBulb posted:

It's good man try it.

If you say so.

Can I mix cherry filling in with it?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Sour cream is a pretty regular occurrence in cheesecake.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sour cream is delicious in sweet things. I love a sour cream friedcake. Mmm-mmm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tendales posted:

Butcher paper is just cheap heavy duty paper. If you don't need the non-stick or heat resistant properties of parchment, waxed, or freezer paper and just want to wrap something, butcher paper is way cheaper.

Well i believe its either waxed or coated somehow to stop juices from leaking through.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spankmeister posted:

Well i believe its either waxed or coated somehow to stop juices from leaking through.
Butcher paper is uncoated. If it's waxed or has a poly coating, it's freezer paper.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SubG posted:

Butcher paper is uncoated. If it's waxed or has a poly coating, it's freezer paper.

Interesting, then my butcher uses freezer paper :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spankmeister posted:

Interesting, then my butcher uses freezer paper :v:
Yeah, I see poly coated freezer paper way more often than I see actual butcher paper these days, at least at the meat counter. Butcher paper shows up more frequently, at least in my experience, in places like sandwich shops, bbq joints, and that kind of thing.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

If you say so.

Can I mix cherry filling in with it?

Put your cherry poo poo on top.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've posted this recipe in here before. I like it because its not as firm as a New York style cheesecake, it's more custardy. It's a two layer deal, with with a sweet custardy base topped by a thin tart sour cream layer.

Crust

9 graham crackers
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Crush the crackers (I do it in a zip lock baggie with a rolling pin). Stir with sugar and melted butter until well mixed. Press in to 9 inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes @ 350 (or until it just starts to brown around the edges). Make sure the crust has cooled completely before pouring in the next step.

Cheesecake layer:

16 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated well. Add vanilla. Pour into cooled crust and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and add sour cream layer.

Sour cream
16 oz sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well. I pipe it on the top with a ziplock to get it on evenly and then smooth it with an offset spatula.

Put back in oven for 10 more minutes at 350. Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate. This will take a minimum of 6 hours to set up in the fridge, but chilling overnight is preferred. It is a very creamy/custardy cheesecake. The dairy:egg:sugar ratio is just about 4:1:1 (the sugar is a little higher, but cream cheese also has some tartness to offset it).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I use a variation of the one on the boxes of Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Take out 2 egg yolks, add 1 tbsp corn starch, add 16oz of sour cream, add a good amount of lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon whisk the living poo poo out of (or use an electric mixer), bake it at 300 and then turn off the oven and let it go for another hour.

I also like using Oreos or chocolate graham crackers for the crust.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Put orange zest in your graham cracker crust. It goes really, really well with the creamy richness of the cheesecake.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have a suggestion for a sauce for non-coconut bread shrimp?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonnie's NY Cheese Cake

Crust
1 C. flour
1/2 C. butter
1/4 C. sugar
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
1t grated lemon peel
1/4 t vanilla

Combine flour, sugar and lemon peel in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Pat 1/3 dough in bottom of 9" spring form pan with sides removed. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes. Cool, attach sides. Pat remaining dough up the sides(1 3/4inches). Filling will be higher than this.

Filling
5-8 oz packages of Philadelphia Brand cream cheese
1/4 C whipping cream
1/4 t vanilla
3/4 t grated lemon peel
1 3/4 C sugar
3 T flour
1/4 t salt
4 or 5 eggs (1C)
2 egg yolks

Let cream cheese stand 1 1/2 hours. Beat until creamy. Add vanilla and lemon peel. Mix in sugar, flour and salt. Add eggs one at a time - beat after each one to blend. Gently stir in Whipping cream.

Pour into crust. Bake at 450 for 12 minutes. Reduce oven to 300 and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. After 1/2 hour loosen sides(run knife around edge). After 1 hour remove sides. Cool and refrigerate.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 23, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have a tested recipe for a no-bake cheesecake? Not a pudding type one, but this restaurant near me serves this cheesecake that I think is just cream cheese, whipped cream, and sugar all mixed up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have a tested recipe for a no-bake cheesecake? Not a pudding type one, but this restaurant near me serves this cheesecake that I think is just cream cheese, whipped cream, and sugar all mixed up.

My aunt makes the one off the Cool Whip package at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 8 oz softened cream cheese, 8 oz whipped cream, 1/3 cup sugar. Cream the sugar and cheese then stir in the cream. Dump it in your crust and refrigerate for a few hours. It's alright, nowhere near as dense as a regular one.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
How terrible would using string cheese for nachos be?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

angor posted:

How terrible would using string cheese for nachos be?

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is most terrible, it'd probably be like a 5 tbh.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
How do you make that white cream sauce you get on fish tacos

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Crema?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/homemade-mexican-crema-356271

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FishBulb posted:

How do you make that white cream sauce you get on fish tacos

:wink:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I don't think it's crema. Maybe it is traditionally, but at places like Rubio's and taco shops in Southern California is what I'm thinking of. It's got more flavors in it and a different viscosity.

Might be a good base to start with though

Lots of various recipes online, not a ton of consensus. Kenji just uses mayo and hot sauce.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 24, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're not thinking about just a lime & cilantro sour cream are you?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean maybe I dunno

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Been a while since I was in SoCal, but yeah, I recall it just being Mexican crema with some lime juice and maybe a little hot sauce.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My first thoughts, in order of lame to awesome:

sour cream loosened with water -> lime juice -> lime juice & cilantro -> lime juice & cilantro & spicy

crema / creme fraiche -> etc

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I've made a very similar sauce with equal parts mayonnaise and yogurt, plus lime juice and seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, dill, cayenne)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So how do you make brown rice taste good? Every time I make it it tastes terrible in some way I can't quite put my finger on, but I've had brown rice I didn't make that tasted at least OK. :iiam:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

sean10mm posted:

So how do you make brown rice taste good? Every time I make it it tastes terrible in some way I can't quite put my finger on, but I've had brown rice I didn't make that tasted at least OK. :iiam:

Same with anything else; salt and fat. Is there any specific recipe or type of cuisine that you have tried? Where did you have it where it was good?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I've made a very similar sauce with equal parts mayonnaise and yogurt, plus lime juice and seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, dill, cayenne)

Yeah a lot of the recopies online are like that, or sour cream and mayo. Thats why I asked in here thought someone might know better.

I mean, I guess I could just try a few and see what works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Back up, what kind of brown rice are you buying and where are you getting it? Brown rice will get rancid and go bad way faster than white rice. That's probably what's up if it tastes terrible and not just boring.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Yeah a lot of the recopies online are like that, or sour cream and mayo. Thats why I asked in here thought someone might know better.

I mean, I guess I could just try a few and see what works.

I think you will get similar results as long as you use sour cream/yogurt, crema, whatever else and add some lime juice and seasoning. So yeah...try a few, basically. I don't think anyone here works for Rubios.

But post your results please because I have been trying to replicate Rubios fish tacos for years with varying levels of success.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

sean10mm posted:

The easiest thing is to polish the hull off until it's white then cook it as normal.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The easiest thing is to polish the hull off until it's white then cook it as normal.

It'll never catch on!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

sean10mm posted:

My solution is to run it through a non-bullshit rice cooker with a pinch of MSG and salt. Mine is the zojirushi np-nvc10, but there are other less expensive cookers that can reliably unfuck brown rice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Good brown rice from a store that sells lots of it is the way to go. Also try giving it the pilaf treatment: a light toasting or frying with a few aromatics and seasoning before you steam/boil it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Brown rice stewed in a fish soup is good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why have I never microwaved potatoes? So drat easy. Nuked a bowl of small yellow potatoes for 5 minutes, added butter and seasoning and mashed. So simple and it doesn't take up a burner on the stove.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was re-watching The Sopranos and in the middle of an episode one of the characters advised that, after draining pasta, you should toss a bit of sauce & a slice of butter in and keep it on heat for a bit under a minute to infuse the sauce flavor into the pasta. I know it's a TV show but I found a few blogs and cooking places recommending a similar technique..does this make an appreciable difference or would the quality of sauce be more important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's pretty standard for cooking pasta, yes.