Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no you got it wrong, borderlands was bad, opposing force however was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Borderlands is good though. :colbert:

ennnnhhhh

ehhhhhhh~

yea whatever i guess :shrug:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
borderlands was p cool imo.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I had some fun with Borderlands, but it really should've at least randomized the enemy spawns a little bit

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Axel Serenity posted:

There may be different balances for PC vs consoles. Symmetry's turrets are one item because of aim assist as an example

This doesn't make sense for PC users who use a gamepad (shame on them, but they exist!)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I want to see a advert from Gearbox with Battleborn and them trying to persuade people from not playing Overwatch. Something along the lines of "Why play this (heavily implied) shallow game when you can be leveling up and getting LOOT that affects your gameplay style?!"

Then a comparison of unit sales for both titles.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

YoshiOfYellow posted:

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

Baby Winston ownes. And my Overwatch HS cardback is like playing with 31 Cards :boom:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nvidia just pushed their Overwatch driver out for people who care about that stuff.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
battleborn more like stillborn lol

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Quit playing WoW, have no reason to come back to it and I don't play hearthstone. I think I'm in the clear to get hooked on another blizzard product.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really just like one or two guys who think Destiny is really loving cool and can't stop posting about it. I think the major Forbes editors just don't give a gently caress and figured if it gets them some more web traffic from teenagers or whatever then there's no reason not to.

Journalism in 2016.

Destiny is cool......

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
have fun playing Battlepoors
________ /
:smugdon:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

pretend I posted an :eyepop: emoticon except it's zenyatta and all nine eyes are poppin'

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

We just don't talk about Pre-Sequel. Nobody talks about Pre-Sequel. :wtc:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zzulu posted:

hosed up but true :shrug:

nerox
May 20, 2001
I played just enough of this game to know I liked it back during one of the earlier beta weekends and avoided open beta, so I look forward to being that terrible person in your group!

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Atoramos posted:

This doesn't make sense for PC users who use a gamepad (shame on them, but they exist!)

The issue they stated was that the developers don't know where to assist your crosshair in the event your crosshairs are near both a sentry turret and an enemy hero.

Does it nudge towards the annoying turrets, or does it nudge towards the enemy hero that you might have a chance to kill if you can get those pesky turrets out of the way?

If you're playing on PC with a gamepad you can just choose a decision because the option of aim assist doesn't exist for you anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zorodius posted:

I had some fun with Borderlands, but it really should've at least randomized the enemy spawns a little bit

Borderlands is pretty decent once you hack the game's loot tables so you actually see good guns once in a loving while.

The default drop rate in Borderlands 2 for the really rare guns is 1 in 20,000 drops. I'm not exaggerating, that's the exact value. 1 in 20,000. gently caress that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I like all games and though Borderlands were fun but I guess Gearbox peeps were trying to troll Blizzard's Twitter or something? I mean making games is fun and cool but don't get a big enough head off of one good IP to think you can take on the world's most popular PC dev? :iiam:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Quote isn't edit my dudes

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

As a child I played I played countless hours of TFC. Yesterday I logged into TF2 to say goodbye to the game after our thousand+ hours together.

First server, hacker immediately snipes me through the world in the spawn room. He keeps changing his name to the other player's names to make it harder to kick him.

Second server, a hacking medic+heavy just sit on the cart laughing at anyone plinking away.

Not saying Overwatch is free of hackers, but that was just a terrible experience. At least TF2 gave my money back by selling my rarest hat. RIP TF2, you will be remembered fondly as I scream PUSH DA KART over the mic.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Well obviously if the free market didnt want this type of behavior it wou.... *slumps over, banging head on desk repeatedly, yelling "OPEN THE loving SERVERS ALREADY" while drooling on self*

No, the free market doesn't condemn this behaviour. This is the power of Blizzard: Massive, overwhelming mindshare. Kind of like Nvidia in that regard, where everyone else is playing for 2nd prize.

Willie Tomg posted:

side note: lol that Forbes is the grown-up video games journalism publication in 2016

Forbes doesn't do any of that. It's the writers who do that.

And I'm not being annoyingly pedantic about the nature of content creation, I mean that's literally their business model. They're a couple hundred independent bloggers, as opposed to an editorial room or anything like that. http://allthingsd.com/20100525/forbes-buys-trueslant/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2016

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

UPS guy just handed me my xbox copy, and I was like "THANKS DUDE :staredog:" on the outside but on the inside I was all :yosbutt:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm looking forward to only playing mercy forever

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

same, but all the heroes

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Borderlands 1 as Roland was okay. And then the rest was not okay.

Like people give Blizzard poo poo for their writing but it's at least in kind of a "well they're just huge dorks who really like this" way instead of an "oh my god they won't stop trying to be funny please end it" way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ulvirich posted:

I want to see a advert from Gearbox with Battleborn and them trying to persuade people from not playing Overwatch. Something along the lines of "Why play this (heavily implied) shallow game when you can be leveling up and getting LOOT that affects your gameplay style?!"

Then a comparison of unit sales for both titles.

Ever since Modern Warfare every FPS on the market has moved to loadouts and unlocks and RPG style progressions systems and I really hope it all dies in a fire. Having a few games like that is fine, and presents a nice easy run of the mill "everybody wins" experience where you just crank in more hours and get more stuff, but having EVERY game play that way sucks balls.

Halo 4 did loadouts and bombed because of it, Halo 5 reversed them.

Now Doom has loving loadouts :doh:

Overwatch has classes, but every single gun in the game is unlocked as soon as you start playing. That's so goddamned refreshing.

I'm so sick of being killed by kids who are level 50 on release date because they don't have day jobs and have unlocked a bunch of guns you can't even use and then use them to lord over you and make it harder to gain those levels and unlock the same guns. Its just not really that great of a system for competitive shooters.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The default drop rate in Borderlands 2 for the really rare guns is 1 in 20,000 drops. I'm not exaggerating, that's the exact value. 1 in 20,000. gently caress that.

That's nuts! I mean MMOs do that poo poo because they need to keep that Skinner box going to keep you subscribing for months. There's no justificiation for that poo poo in a game that you're not intended to play for 1,000 hours.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I could never get into Borderlands. Because of that, I knew right off hand that Battleborn wouldn't be my thing.

On top of that, Battleborn looks ugly as all loving hell.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Borderlands is pretty decent once you hack the game's loot tables so you actually see good guns once in a loving while.

This right here, God drat that was absurd, and that wasn't the least of the shittiness of BL2's postgame "content".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm so sick of being killed by kids who are level 50 on release date because they don't have day jobs and have unlocked a bunch of guns you can't even use and then use them to lord over you and make it harder to gain those levels and unlock the same guns. Its just not really that great of a system for competitive shooters.

I hope you never played COD: World at War. There was like one fully auto rifle at lvl 55. It was the best gun in the game.

They let you noob tube like at lvl one though. I guess that kinda made up for it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zaphod42 posted:

a true post

I still have cheatengine installed solely in case I wanna play borderlands again. the worst part is that even once you crank the rare drops to a 'good' rate like, a legendary one in every 100 drops you still find so many trash legendaries. it's like the difference between playing reaper of souls and diablo 3 vanilla.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm still not even sure what Battleborn even loving is. I'm not sure Gearbox even knows. It seems like they just randomly combined elements of everything that was trendy six months ago into a thing and then advertised it poorly.

Overwatch, at least for now, seems to know exactly what it is.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Borderlands was solid if a little barren.
Borderlands 2 was super solid but a little too meme-y and drop rates were poo poo.
Pre-Sequel was a goddamn hot mess that went 1000% memes and for some reason I was stupid enough to still complete it.

From the looks of it they thought the 1000% memes writing was a good thing and did it for Battleborn too. :nallears:

Basically Gearbox is just progressively getting more and more horrible after they fluked on a good thing with Borderlands.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Would you mind adding me to the list of streamers? https://www.twitch.tv/dreadravenanzu

Adonis Gunther
Mar 11, 2011

Atoramos posted:

PC users who use a gamepad (shame on them, but they exist!)

If any of you does this for Overwatch you are not invited to my birthday party.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Runefaust posted:

I could never get into Borderlands. Because of that, I knew right off hand that Battleborn wouldn't be my thing.

On top of that, Battleborn looks ugly as all loving hell.

Borderlands is bad and has always been bad. Like Halo, it just hit the right time and the right place with subpar gameplay and a few zany lines.

I have strong feelings about these terrible games.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Adonis Gunther posted:

If any of you does this for Overwatch you are not invited to my birthday party.

I use a steering wheel personally

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
death to memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

most of the orange drops in borderlands dropped much more frequently off of specific named mobs, making the 1/20k thing a little misleading

I still think that the basic leveling experience in bl2 was seriously very good, and playing krieg removed a lot of the problems the game had up to that point. The endgame is pointless and stupid but that's ok, playing a new character is more fun. Farming a boss for loot? Who cares, start a new character. I think I capped 3 kriegs out to max level.

ofc playing krieg mostly removes the game's gunplay so that defeats a lot of the point of the game