Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's SOP to buy as many permutations of a new domain as the team can come up with. Logic is to prevent spoofing or satire sites.

This is in addition to the "cool" domains that they scoop up just in case marketing decides they want to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We only about 80. We're not a big company. About 8 of those domain names actually have a DNS record. Most of them are just old products or buzzwords and stuff like that. We've let about 50 expire in the last 2 years. We have 1/5th of them with Network Solutions and the rest are with GoDaddy.

But you know what accounting complains about? Renewing the domains we actually use, and things like SSL certificates. OMG WE HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS? UGHHH

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off, registered new domain names 1 at a time as CEO calls from a sales meeting. Just how many are you going to buy today? Spent almost $500 on domain names, when we let $500 worth of domain names we never used expire or going to expire later this year. What the hell is the plan of all of these? Do all companies own 50+ domain names?

to be honest I don't care what they spent money on, domain names are paid by marketing / sales not IT. I do care that I'm getting them 1 at a time every 5-10 minutes instead of a list at the end of the meeting like it's going to be purchased from under us. (I'd give you some of them they are pretty terrible, but then you would know where I work since we don't pay to make it private).

I think we dropped a couple thousand dollars on registering domains that no one uses and I figure most people don't know exists. We have acquired a lot of companies over the years, and for reasons we keep all their old registrations. One of the entries hasn't been valid for years, but hell, lets keep shoveling money to Network Solutions.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Spent half an hour reinstalling something, Didn't work. Installed something else. That doesn't work either. So I just wasted a user's time for nothing. Sometimes I feel like I don't actually finish anything because nothing ever cooperates.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

poo poo pissing me off: anyone run into a Windows CA refusing to read/process a CSR generated by openssl? Something changed somewhere along the line between when these certs were originally issued and now, when I have to renew them 3 years later, and it looks like the CA just thinks our CSRs are garbage. These aren't too complicated: sha256-signed requests for an internal fqdn and several subjectAltNames for them. ('wiki.company.local', 'wiki')
The only things that changed that I can think of is moving from sha1 to sha256, and migrating from one machine with the CA service to another. But we've gotten requests off of the new machine before, when created through the wizard or whatever.

I don't do Windows, and the Windows admin doesn't really do much Linux, so we're at a bit of an impasse.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Documentum: making SharePoint look great by comparison for many long years.

Yup. I have to find a way to put 5TB of Documentum data into SharePoint Online too. I'm all open to suggestions...

poo poo pissing me off: Documentum's schema. You use the same values in 5 different places, but mean different things?!!? Oh well, a few hours later and I now have a monstrous query to give me everything I need for speccing this migration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spazz posted:

Yup. I have to find a way to put 5TB of Documentum data into SharePoint Online too. I'm all open to suggestions...

poo poo pissing me off: Documentum's schema. You use the same values in 5 different places, but mean different things?!!? Oh well, a few hours later and I now have a monstrous query to give me everything I need for speccing this migration.

Dare I ask what is in 5TB of documentation, and what it's documenting?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

No phrase makes me cringe as much as "Is there a limit on how big of a file I can email?" or "Is ____ too big to email?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would assume it's 50 megs of real documentation, and 4.99 TB of videos and poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At my AWFUL JOB the manager/owner would be furious if I asked a client to confirm their address before I left to go there. He said that 'if you ask them to confirm their address it implies you don't know where they are, and it makes them think we are idiots."

Yeah, you know what makes us look like idiots? Driving two hours to the wrong address. A couple times the clients would have packages shipped to one address, but have their office somewhere else, so I'd drive to their shipping address and find that I was at the home of the IT Director of the client, and he had something shipped to his house for some reason, but had taken it to work with him.

Ha!

My team has 70% travel. We now have a defacto policy to strictly ignore any customer address from CRM and account manager.

We are only to book travel if we get the customers address though email from the contact we're meeting in person.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Dare I ask what is in 5TB of documentation, and what it's documenting?

We're a 10k+ organization in a compliance focused industry. Documentum (WebTop) has been our main document repository for many years. I'm talking about roughly 5 million documents and probably a few different versions per document, all of which need to be pushed up to SharePoint Online.

Oh, plus unique ACLs for certain folders...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... gently caress printers and the users who use them.

Had a branch location with a printer that wasn't working. Instead of calling to let us know they took it upon themselves to start swapping printers around. They also went and grabbed a old printer out of the back of the store (that they where told to throw away long ago) and tried hooking it up.

When they finally did call me, they didn't tell me any of this other than the printer wasn't working. So I spent 30 minutes trying to trouble shoot remotely, not quite understanding why DNS names and IPs where not matching up with what was supposed to be there.

FYI... Brother 53xx/53xx/and 61xx series printers have a GO button on top. If this button is held down for more than 10 seconds, the printer switches to WiFi only mode and disables the on-board Ethernet. This behavior cannot be disabled, and the switch will occur even if you have disabled the WiFi in the printer's web interface. If someone sets a stack of paper on top the printer, it is usually enough to activate the button. You can see where I am going with this; that is what the problem was!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That seems like a really good feature to have on a button that gets pressed a billion times during standard operations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

FYI... Brother 53xx/53xx/and 61xx series printers have a GO button on top. If this button is held down for more than 10 seconds, the printer switches to WiFi only mode and disables the on-board Ethernet. This behavior cannot be disabled, and the switch will occur even if you have disabled the WiFi in the printer's web interface. If someone sets a stack of paper on top the printer, it is usually enough to activate the button. You can see where I am going with this; that is what the problem was!

Old job we had like a hundred of these like HP laser printers, the personal ones with wifi that you can't turn off. Imagine what that does to your office wifi.

Why the gently caress did most people have their own printer? :iiam:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Old job we had like a hundred of these like HP laser printers, the personal ones with wifi that you can't turn off. Imagine what that does to your office wifi.

Why the gently caress did most people have their own printer? :iiam:

My last job had two wifi networks with the same SSID that weren't actually on the same LAN, and they had different printers on both. Depending on which WiFi you happened to join you'd get a different printer and not be able to access the other. It was pandemonium.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My last job had two wifi networks with the same SSID that weren't actually on the same LAN, and they had different printers on both. Depending on which WiFi you happened to join you'd get a different printer and not be able to access the other. It was pandemonium.

That seems like something that could be fixed with a modicum of effort. :raise:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

This "feature" is pure evil and I really want to cluebat the poo poo out of the people responsible for it.

That said printers don't move while operating, therefore having WiFi in a printer in the first place means you've gone wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Printers that bitch at you for not shutting them down cleanly can gently caress off too. They're appliances, not mainframes. If I need to work on one I'm yanking the power cord without a second thought.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ahhh gently caress, what kind of non-helpdesk position can I get without any certs and random bits of knowledge. I can hack my way around Powershell, AIX, iSeries, Active Directory, job schedulers, linux machines.. etc.
Awhile ago, job made me change my hours and start covering helpdesk for part of my shift which really makes my anxiety go sky-high but I was hanging in there. A couple weeks ago I was told I am now going to be supporting a new app, but I would do the user issues/tickets and *other dude* would do the backend changes. Now I get told I'm actually the main person and *other dude* is my backup... and throughout the whole thing I haven't had access to any most of the environment info, just the small bits and pieces the PM hands out to me. When the PM is in the office (which is probably 1 day a month) she's in meetings and calls all day. When she's not in office her status is always DND or presenting. I'm being set up to crash and burn and I'm already crashing. I need to find a new job, I've had a migraine almost every day last week from the stress.

Also I'm being paid low enough that I'll be affected by the new OT thing :v:

/rant

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That seems like something that could be fixed with a modicum of effort. :raise:

I tried many many times, but it was always a problem. The issue was that the company had several hundred devices on WiFi, and they only had two APs: a Linksys Cisco home WAP and the Verizion FIOS Actiontech Router with built in WiFi. If I made two wifi networks with different SSIDs, then you'd have to pick one, and if everyone picked the same you'd crash that one. Having them be the same SSID sort of made the clients hop back and forth as one would over saturate and people would just drift back and forth. It was really strange. Also the rest of the network hardware precluded using the FIOS WAP since it would only route out the FIOS internet line, but they had to use the other one to access some services that were locked to our public IP.

It was just a mess, and they refused to let me buy a couple APs and setup a real WiFi network. I wasn't in charge of the wireless, but one time someone saw me reboot an AP so I was suddenly the network guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

Printers that bitch at you for not shutting them down cleanly can gently caress off too. They're appliances, not mainframes. If I need to work on one I'm yanking the power cord without a second thought.

Don't do this on a solid ink printer. Those suckers melt ink which then drips down into receptacles on the print head. Someone will hate you forever if you slosh the melted ink out of the printhead. It'll probably be me, chipping ink out of the mechanical parts is a lot of work, and hot ink on a circuit board is an $800 replacement.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

wolrah posted:

That said printers don't move while operating, therefore having WiFi in a printer in the first place means you've gone wrong.

Wifi is stupid for an office, but it's really useful for home use. "No I want my printer in the living room I work on my laptop there, no I'm not drilling the wall/floor/ceiling to run a wire there"

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

This "feature" is pure evil and I really want to cluebat the poo poo out of the people responsible for it.

Before we started to get rid of the Brother printers this "feature" was causing 6-7 calls a week. We only have a handful of them left now so it really hasn't been a big of issue as it used to be.

It was bad enough at one location though I said gently caress the warranty; opened up the printer, found the wifi module and just unplugged it. This actually disables the switch "feature" from working.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Storysmith posted:

poo poo pissing me off: anyone run into a Windows CA refusing to read/process a CSR generated by openssl? Something changed somewhere along the line between when these certs were originally issued and now, when I have to renew them 3 years later, and it looks like the CA just thinks our CSRs are garbage. These aren't too complicated: sha256-signed requests for an internal fqdn and several subjectAltNames for them. ('wiki.company.local', 'wiki')
The only things that changed that I can think of is moving from sha1 to sha256, and migrating from one machine with the CA service to another. But we've gotten requests off of the new machine before, when created through the wizard or whatever.

I don't do Windows, and the Windows admin doesn't really do much Linux, so we're at a bit of an impasse.

How are you signing the cert with the CA? I remember Windows CA disliking linux cert requests because they lack a defined template so I had to sign them with a command-line utility and tell it to use the web server template. I'm phone posting so I can't really look up more information but maybe this will get you on the right track.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Danith posted:

Ahhh gently caress, what kind of non-helpdesk position can I get without any certs and random bits of knowledge. I can hack my way around Powershell, AIX, iSeries, Active Directory, job schedulers, linux machines.. etc.
Awhile ago, job made me change my hours and start covering helpdesk for part of my shift which really makes my anxiety go sky-high but I was hanging in there. A couple weeks ago I was told I am now going to be supporting a new app, but I would do the user issues/tickets and *other dude* would do the backend changes. Now I get told I'm actually the main person and *other dude* is my backup... and throughout the whole thing I haven't had access to any most of the environment info, just the small bits and pieces the PM hands out to me. When the PM is in the office (which is probably 1 day a month) she's in meetings and calls all day. When she's not in office her status is always DND or presenting. I'm being set up to crash and burn and I'm already crashing. I need to find a new job, I've had a migraine almost every day last week from the stress.

Also I'm being paid low enough that I'll be affected by the new OT thing :v:

/rant

Level 1 System Administrator. If you can navigate the CLI, and follow/understand process documents without deviating "because I thought it would work better" sysadmin is the perfect step up from helldesk.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There is also plenty of small companies that have 1-2 IT guys, they make pretty good places to work for a few years to get the job history that you did some higher level stuff beyond help desk. Depending on just how small they can be pretty quiet, or you could be horribly over worked. Get a user count before signing anything with a slim IT staff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I tried many many times, but it was always a problem. The issue was that the company had several hundred devices on WiFi, and they only had two APs: a Linksys Cisco home WAP and the Verizion FIOS Actiontech Router with built in WiFi.
We had like 7 AP's but they were all daisy chained. Guess how many layers of NAT you could be in?

You'd also get 192.168.0.25 then go across the office and get on another AP, and if it had already given that address out in DHCP you'd have an issue.

I flattened it out, kept the existing AP's and shut off routing/dhcp, and ran everything through an old Adtran switch. Which worked until you got up over 30mb/s of traffic, then it would reboot.

Ended up getting Engenius AP's later on, and a Mikrotik router, worked perfectly after that and only cost like $600.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

We had like 7 AP's but they were all daisy chained. Guess how many layers of NAT you could be in?

You'd also get 192.168.0.25 then go across the office and get on another AP, and if it had already given that address out in DHCP you'd have an issue.

I flattened it out, kept the existing AP's and shut off routing/dhcp, and ran everything through an old Adtran switch. Which worked until you got up over 30mb/s of traffic, then it would reboot.

Ended up getting Engenius AP's later on, and a Mikrotik router, worked perfectly after that and only cost like $600.

I loved that. I did the network in a realtor office that was this old huge house. It had like fifty rooms all full of cubicles. It was really strange, but there were tons and tons of small home routers all connected to each other since there wasn't enough network drops. Nothing worked right, and every agent had their own printer connected to the network on DHCP. There were probably thirty printers and sometimes their IPs would change or they'd overlap and it'd all fall apart.

The building did a ton of runs, and I went around one night and gathered up like forty D-link routers and connected everyone correctly. The next day was a disaster since everyone was angry about losing their fifteen ports. We told them to stop bringing their own devices and if they needed more ports we'd take care of them. For the next few months I gathered another box full of APs and routers that people brought in. Realtors are the worst.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

high five my retarded 5.4 brother!

I rolled it out to a small office just to test. Yeah.... fffuuuck that. They have a super fun bug with the SSL client where split tunneling doesn't work randomly!

The web UI is letting me set the correct route priority, it's correctly reading it back out of somewhere to display it, but the actual priority getting written is always 0 :thumbsup: Excellent work team.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Someone moved into the vacant cubicle next to mine and is making loud lip smacking and licking noises and I'm about to pop a blood vessel.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Someone moved into the vacant cubicle next to mine and is making loud lip smacking and licking noises and I'm about to pop a blood vessel.

Talk to them about it and ask them to knock it off because it's highly distracting.

If you are too passive aggressive like that, get a small transmitter to makes an annoying tone and hit it (well) in their cubicle. Every time they make noises, set it off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stevewm posted:

Conversely, projectors that require you to enter the Konami code to shut them down, else they explode when you kill the power.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There are projectors designed to have the cord yanked out and stuffed in a bag as soon as they are finished with, but yeah for the most part if you don't let the fan run to cool the lamp off then you will in the best case scenario shorten the life of the lamp, and in the worst case you blow it up and have to dig chunks of glass out of the plastic casing.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Manslaughter posted:

I once had some dude get moved to our desk pod who had some freaky nervous disorder or tic where he would keep doing a sudden cough and what I would describe as chuffing/sniffing sounds, at first I felt bad but jesus christ I couldn't focus on anything at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our MD has a throat clearing habit and it's more than likely going to end up with someone murdering him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I knew a guy with Tourette syndrome and throat clearing was one of his tics. He was on some sort of medication that had helped suppress most of his symptoms but the (mild) throat clearing remained.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Spazz posted:

I've discovered hell, and it's in the form of Documentum 6.6. Anybody have experience with evacuating one of these systems?

Documentum sounds like a terminal disease.

"I'm sorry, but you have Documentum. It's terminal. You have six to live."
"Six what?"

"Five."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Storysmith posted:

poo poo pissing me off: anyone run into a Windows CA refusing to read/process a CSR generated by openssl?

What openssl command line did you use to generate the csr?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

nitrogen posted:

What openssl command line did you use to generate the csr?

Weirdly, it all just worked fine when I tried it again, giving it to him directly over IM instead of through the helpdesk software. That was frustrating to try to track down. Guessing it changed the formatting of my text blocks.

Followup question: is setting up a Windows 2008 CA to the point where it can issue sha256 certs easy? Does it require a new root cert? Im not a Windows person, but the little documentation I've seen seems to imply it's a "upgrade to 2012 and reissue everything against a new root" level change. How are people dealing with browser deprecation of sha1 for internal certs while keeping their sanity?

It'd be awesome not to have to deal with adding a new root on the long tail of unmanaged Linux and OSX developer stations and also have certs that Firefox and Chrome don't quietly complain about, but I know which one I'd rather have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Storysmith posted:

Weirdly, it all just worked fine when I tried it again, giving it to him directly over IM instead of through the helpdesk software. That was frustrating to try to track down. Guessing it changed the formatting of my text blocks.

Followup question: is setting up a Windows 2008 CA to the point where it can issue sha256 certs easy? Does it require a new root cert? Im not a Windows person, but the little documentation I've seen seems to imply it's a "upgrade to 2012 and reissue everything against a new root" level change. How are people dealing with browser deprecation of sha1 for internal certs while keeping their sanity?

It'd be awesome not to have to deal with adding a new root on the long tail of unmanaged Linux and OSX developer stations and also have certs that Firefox and Chrome don't quietly complain about, but I know which one I'd rather have.
You can absolutely issue sha256 on 2008 or above, just not on 2003. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/pki/2013/09/19/upgrade-certification-authority-to-sha256/