Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i see what ur coming at since u live in the trees but in the urban environments thigns are closer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

what I'm saying is that if they can afford to live within realistic bicycle distance from their work they probably can afford other transportation. I'm saying theres not much overlap between poor and could possibly bike to work. then when you add in the unreliability of bike transport the overlap is eliminated.

and you are wrong, because as usual, you have no idea of the demographic breakdown of actual cities

turns out lots of poor people live in rooming houses and shared accommodations within the city core too, and they can and are served by improved transit options including accessible cycling infrastructure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe you guys are talking about going from the suburbs to the city. i mean if you actually live in the city. somewhere like boston is basically walkable to pretty much anywhere plus theres the subway. in maine our largest city you would just walk everywhere. its not that big. taking a bus around the city would honestly take more time than walking.

i guess if you live in a southern city where things aren't as dense and the weather is pretty good all year round bikes might make more sense if you don't have good real transport.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
your entire state has the population of the old city of toronto (pre-amalgamation with the surrounding boroughs), so yes, it's safe to say you have no concept of the scale of an actual city

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

also stop saying bikes are unreliable that's flat out wrong compared to cars trains or busses. both in transit and in maintenance like I previously said.

as for bike distance, it increases your availability to two miles in an hour walking to at least 15 riding. that opens up your potential jobs significantly

I'll concede riding in snow being not optimal but it's also super easy and very achievable

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

looking up the pop of maine is a big lol

there are 41 cities in the US with a larger pop than the whole state, and those 41 cities represent 2/3rds of all americans

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
whole lot of shaggering going on its

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you stink like rear end from huffing to work in boston in july u arent gonna keep that job buddy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jonny 290 posted:

if you stink like rear end from huffing to work in boston in july u arent gonna keep that job buddy

stinking like rear end and unemployed, sure sounds like everyone else in boston fuckin gotem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if your work isn't walking distance from your gym, where you can shower, you probably don't work anywhere that cares if you reek of sweat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bicycle commuting will save me _so much time_ over riding in a car! Suck it. *spends 45 minutes awkwardly showering in public* Squeaky. loving. Clean.

Also, i'm an idle millenial piece of poo poo and have to pay somebody to make up manual labor chores for me so my muscles dont atrophy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Also, i'm an idle millenial piece of poo poo and have to pay somebody to make up manual labor chores for me so my muscles dont atrophy.

yes, we've all read your posts about the homestead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice, wish i could return the favor :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm an incredibly lazy urbanite, surrounded by modern convenience. my exercise amounts to gardening and walking, if that helps

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger left his boring rear end worthless state once or twice to visit boston and thinks he understands urban/public transportation planning

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mishaq posted:

shagger left his boring rear end worthless state once or twice to visit boston and thinks he understands urban/public transportation planning

no wonder he thinks all transit is poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

then when you add in the unreliability of bike transport the overlap is eliminated.

shaggar, poor people don't get to choose reliable forms of transit. they just make do with what they have, and when their bosses get sick of reliability issues, they get fired. yes, this means a lot of working people get fired annually or bi-annually. this is a thing. relying on a bus or bicycle is really loving painful in 99% of american situations.

the answer isn't "oh well gently caress the poor"

we should strive to make bus and bicycle commutes more practical

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

no wonder he thinks all transit is poo poo

well he's not wrong that most transit is poo poo most of the time

i just don't understand how the gently caress you can start with "transit is poo poo" and draw the conclusion "oh that's ok then gently caress it"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

good public transportation owns so hard

shagger thinks the solution to getting drunk at the bar is using one of those services where someone drives you and your drunk rear end home in your own car lmao

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shaggar, poor people don't get to choose reliable forms of transit. they just make do with what they have, and when their bosses get sick of reliability issues, they get fired. yes, this means a lot of working people get fired annually or bi-annually. this is a thing. relying on a bus or bicycle is really loving painful in 99% of american situations.

have they tried working within walk, bike, bus distance so its less painful to walk, bike, bus?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I make a deece six figgies and can barely afford to live within walk bike bus distance of work

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

when i was poverty distance was bike, bus, train, combo, or desk next to bed, depending on year. probably would have been non-poore quicker if i could afford car gas an insurance to increase jobs market. might have helped if i kept one profession too

still dont have car cuz never had one and dunno what im missing. believe in ur american dreams and u too can walk to work. god bless america

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you cant make bus and bicycle commutes more practical. they're fundamentally garbage.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

you cant make bus and bicycle commutes more practical. they're fundamentally garbage.

don't sign your posts

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

my bicycle commute in shenzhen is extremely easy and practical because they have a separated bike lane from my apartment to my office and the buses in singapore are amazingly good & on time always so it seems like it is possible?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

my bicycle commute in shenzhen is extremely easy and practical because they have a separated bike lane from my apartment to my office and the buses in singapore are amazingly good & on time always so it seems like it is possible?

how are they in the rural and suburban areas because for that to work for 160 million americans thats important

iow shaggar was right

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LastInLine posted:

how are they in the rural and suburban areas because for that to work for 160 million americans thats important

iow shaggar was right

3/4s of americans live in metros larger than the biggest city in maine. shaggs was shaggin

also im not hand wringing over the horrible shitbirds in rural areas so much

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cygni posted:

3/4s of americans live in metros larger than the biggest city in maine. shaggs was shaggin

also im not hand wringing over the horrible shitbirds in rural areas so much

metro areas include suburbs which for a city like atlanta is a difference of five million people. there are just under half a million in atlanta proper and five million people in your statistic but not in the city. this is not an unusual situation in the us and it needs to be pointed out that for the most part the wealth is not located in the city but rather the exurbs and suburbs who actively oppose any kind of public transit

busing and cycling is something that can work in some places but its ridiculously elitist and really stupid to think it could work in any but a handful of us cities that were built exclusively around the twins ideas of the ubiquity of personal transportation and gently caress the poors

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i live in the bay area (redwood city) and i ride my bicycle to work every day. i happen to also work in redwood city, and i ride just over a mile, so i could walk, i'm just lazy. but i could reasonably commute by bike south to palo alto or north to san mateo. there are more tech jobs between rwc and either of these locations than exist in the entire state of maine. combined with caltrain (free gopass from employer ofc) i could go anywhere on the peninsula where a job might be, without any need for a car

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i live in the bay area (redwood city) and i ride my bicycle to work every day. i happen to also work in redwood city, and i ride just over a mile, so i could walk, i'm just lazy. but i could reasonably commute by bike south to palo alto or north to san mateo. there are more tech jobs between rwc and either of these locations than exist in the entire state of maine. combined with caltrain (free gopass from employer ofc) i could go anywhere on the peninsula where a job might be, without any need for a car

its almost like some places are densely packed and others arent

for every place where buses and bikes work there are twenty where they dont and the attitude of well idc about any place where they dont work is no more valid an opinion than shaggars (correct) opinion that bikes and buses are lovely

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LastInLine posted:

metro areas include suburbs which for a city like atlanta is a difference of five million people. there are just under half a million in atlanta proper and five million people in your statistic but not in the city. this is not an unusual situation in the us and it needs to be pointed out that for the most part the wealth is not located in the city but rather the exurbs and suburbs who actively oppose any kind of public transit

busing and cycling is something that can work in some places but its ridiculously elitist and really stupid to think it could work in any but a handful of us cities that were built exclusively around the twins ideas of the ubiquity of personal transportation and gently caress the poors

a start would be allowing other sorts of places to be built. American cities aren't suburban hell holes just because everyone has a car, it's also because any other sort of environment is banned, cf that article about requiring two parking spaces per unit in a new build next to a train station

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i like my suburban hell hole

all the benefits of being near a city without any of the drawbacks plus ill never have to know what the inside of a bus smells like and i sure af wont have to own a bicycle lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

a start would be allowing other sorts of places to be built. American cities aren't suburban hell holes just because everyone has a car, it's also because any other sort of environment is banned, cf that article about requiring two parking spaces per unit in a new build next to a train station

we built the bridges too low for buses to pass under, gently caress the poors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

i like my suburban hell hole

all the benefits of being near a city without any of the drawbacks plus ill never have to know what the inside of a bus smells like and i sure af wont have to own a bicycle lol

except, you know, being able to walk to get groceries or anything that isn't a gas stop 7-11 within a 10 minute drive

let's hope gas never gets expensive

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

infernal machines posted:

we built the bridges too low for buses to pass under, gently caress the poors

in la loads of lots are zoned for only one property, but there are special allowances so that you can still have a separate house for servants as long as it has no kitchen and is 20feet away from the main building

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you can't rent or sell it to a poor person though! servants only!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

1 bedroom apartments require 1.5 (covered!) parking spaces per apartment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bike lanes improve commute times for carhavers too

imagine that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Actually I think you'll find that bike lanes increase pollution!!!!!
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/environment/packed_hampstead_meeting_hears_call_for_cycling_superhighway_to_be_scrapped_1_4460007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

These people are utterly mental
http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/hampstead_meeting_called_as_boris_cycle_superhighway_row_gains_momentum_1_4451282

quote:

She said: “If TfL have their way, Hampstead will become a ghetto. Regent’s Park, one of the jewels of English Heritage and parks will become a velodrome.”
This is about plans to restrict car access through a park

• Locked thread