Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Keeshhound posted:

Fuckin' Miller. :rolleyes:

Please, don't mix up the awful things Miller has done with the awful things Millar has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

Please, don't mix up the awful things Miller has done with the awful things Millar has done.

Are they pronounced the same way?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

prefect posted:

depends on your accent.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Uthor posted:

poo poo, I didn't notice the different spelling. I guess that explains the conspicuous absence of sex workers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Everyone I've ever heard pronounces them differently.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

While the Red Skull story in Ultimates Avengers isn't that great, it's still the best Ultimates story Millar wrote in my opinion. Of course I'll be in the minority because I really don't care for the first two volumes of Ultimates like a lot of people seem to.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best part is that Fury apparently set up the whole thing with Skull going for/getting the Cosmic Cube so he could get control of SHIELD back from whoever had it at the time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

X-O posted:

While the Red Skull story in Ultimates Avengers isn't that great, it's still the best Ultimates story Millar wrote in my opinion. Of course I'll be in the minority because I really don't care for the first two volumes of Ultimates like a lot of people seem to.

Oh hey I'm a minority too, well that's just great, I never asked for this :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

Which was the one where all the foreign countries got their own super people and took over the US? I liked that one a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

Which was the one where all the foreign countries got their own super people and took over the US? I liked that one a lot.

That's Ultimates II, not to be confused with Ultimate Avengers 2 which was the godawful Black Hulk story.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

X-O posted:

That's Ultimates II, not to be confused with Ultimate Avengers 2 which was the godawful Black Hulk story.

I don't recall the Black Hulk story. Was this, like, a pitch-black hulk? Or a black guy who got hulked? Do we have a Power Falcons situation here? :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't recall the Black Hulk story. Was this, like, a pitch-black hulk? Or a black guy who got hulked?

The latter. He was the secret original Hulk or something, it didn't make a lot of sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, Tyrone Cash the original Hulk. Professor turned supervillain turned Ultimate Avenger turned traitor to SHIELD who was working for Carol Danvers, also traitor to SHIELD, well maybe traitor. He also met the same fate as Red Skull, shot in the face by Fury while laying in a hospital bed.

Mark Millar didn't really write a lot of good stuff. I can name three times at least, off the top of my head that someone is murdered by a "good guy" while laying in a hospital bed.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 23, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

X-O posted:

He also met the same fate as Red Skull, shot in the face by Fury while laying in a hospital bed.

Nick Fury confirmed as Earth-616's Mark Millar.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

X-O posted:

Yes, Tyrone Cash the original Hulk. Professor turned supervillain turned Ultimate Avenger turned traitor to SHIELD who was working for Carol Danvers, also traitor to SHIELD, well maybe traitor. He also met the same fate as Red Skull, shot in the face by Fury while laying in a hospital bed.

Mark Millar didn't really write a lot of good stuff. I can name three times at least, off the top of my head that someone is murdered by a "good guy" while laying in a hospital bed.

I'm sure Millar would argue that, since it was done by one of the good guys, it was an execution not a murder.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm not interested enough in knowing what he did that I'll track down the issues in question and read them. I am interested enough, though, that I'll ask. What did Millar's Ultimate Red Skull do?

Others brought up the rest, but I'll give you the primary example.

So he takes a woman's baby hostage for some reason I forget. He tells the woman to stab her husband to death with a pair of scissors to spare their child. She does it. If he'd just done THAT, it would have been a horrifically chilling villain moment.

But of course Millar doesn't stop there. He has his minions beat and rape the woman. Then he throws the baby out the window. And to top it off he raids the fridge before he leaves the house.

Like I said. If it wasn't all a bunch of horrible disgusting things, it would be comedic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cornwind Evil posted:

And to top it off he raids the fridge before he leaves the house.

It's just a comment on Women in Refrigerators!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I remember thinking that with a minor change in the writing, that Red Skull storyline could've been really great. All they had to do was play up the nihilistic "ends justifies the means" mission. The idea that as far as Skull was concerned, it was okay to be the worst monster ever because once he was done, none of that would have happened. Everything he did would have been swept away, so there was no moral issue.

It's like how in Flashpoint, one of the better moments was Flash realizing that even if this world wasn't "real" to him, he couldn't allow everyone to suffer due to his actions. Same basic concept, only Flash was the hero while Red Skull's failure solidified him as a horrible villain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

I remember thinking that with a minor change in the writing, that Red Skull storyline could've been really great. All they had to do was play up the nihilistic "ends justifies the means" mission. The idea that as far as Skull was concerned, it was okay to be the worst monster ever because once he was done, none of that would have happened. Everything he did would have been swept away, so there was no moral issue.

It's like how in Flashpoint, one of the better moments was Flash realizing that even if this world wasn't "real" to him, he couldn't allow everyone to suffer due to his actions. Same basic concept, only Flash was the hero while Red Skull's failure solidified him as a horrible villain.

In fringe they were getting all pissed at Peter wanting to go back to his universe as it would erase them and their lives/experiences.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

bobkatt013 posted:

In fringe they were getting all pissed at Peter wanting to go back to his universe as it would erase them and their lives/experiences.

Oh my god, don't even loving bring up Season 4 of Fringe. That show went from hero to zero faster than I've ever seen a show jump the shark. Season 4 was a long, drawn out plane crash, and season 5 was somebody giving the wreckage a shovel and telling it to dig.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Others brought up the rest, but I'll give you the primary example.

So he takes a woman's baby hostage for some reason I forget. He tells the woman to stab her husband to death with a pair of scissors to spare their child. She does it. If he'd just done THAT, it would have been a horrifically chilling villain moment.

But of course Millar doesn't stop there. He has his minions beat and rape the woman. Then he throws the baby out the window. And to top it off he raids the fridge before he leaves the house.

Like I said. If it wasn't all a bunch of horrible disgusting things, it would be comedic.

ugh.

Was this the same guy who wrote the "pubescent alien girl has literally apocalyptic periods"?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

FilthyImp posted:

Wikipedia tells me that URS was responsible for killing Kennedy, was involved in VietNam and various tinpot asian dictators, killed the Red Wasp's son and caused the AIM team that helped synthesize his cosmic cube to eat themselves.

what is with the ultimate universe and cannibalism

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

America was eating itself alive during the bulk of the Ultimate universe.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

there's this (millar)
there's the bit with ultimate blob eating ultimate wasp (loeb, i think)
there's "hulk eat freddie prinze jr" (millar, right?)

is there more?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Millar has some serious goddamn issues.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Millar walks the razor edge of pushing the boundaries of comics then jumps over the edge into an empty swimming pool doing a can opener and bounces twice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

More like he drags his ballsack along the edge and writes a bunch of ~EXTREME~ with his bloody groin

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Stargate: Continuum.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Parahexavoctal posted:

there's this (millar)

is there more?

When the Chitaurii invade the earth in Ultimates, the chief villain (Kleiser) has a ridiculous healing factor that makes him basically invulnerable. This is resolved by having Hulk eat him, and then SHIELD capturing and containing the resulting waste in a bunch of canisters.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

When the Chitaurii invade the earth in Ultimates, the chief villain (Kleiser) has a ridiculous healing factor that makes him basically invulnerable. This is resolved by having Hulk eat him, and then SHIELD capturing and containing the resulting waste in a bunch of canisters.

... and that reminds me of the literal pile-of-poo poo character from Wanted (by, of course, Millar). The poo poo golem made from the feces of the 666 worst people in history.

When Ennis writes stuff like Arseface, or Ma Gnucci getting her limbs eaten by polar bears, it doesn't feel as stupid, somehow. Why is that?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ashcans posted:

I remember actually laughing at that one, though. :blush:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Parahexavoctal posted:

there's this (millar)

is there more?

I didn't read a ton of ultimate books, but does Giant man eat blob or just bite him in half?

Also I think in one of the xmen issues they mention hulk eating a bunch of guards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Parahexavoctal posted:

When Ennis writes stuff like Arseface, or Ma Gnucci getting her limbs eaten by polar bears, it doesn't feel as stupid, somehow. Why is that?

It's still pretty stupid. Ennis just likes to mix his needless profanity and excessive violence with existential or futurist wank, so it feels "balanced".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 24, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Also I think in one of the xmen issues they mention hulk eating a bunch of guards.
UltHulk was just all of Banner's desires run wild, so Eat gently caress Punch was his M.O.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's more because Ennis knows it's ridiculous and is writing it that way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ennis isn't better than Millar so I dunno.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

It's still pretty stupid. Ennis just likes to mix his needless profanity and excessive violence with existential or futurist wank, so it feels "balanced".

I think you're thinking of Ellis.

edit: Actually, I think I've figured out the difference -- why Millar's profanity and excessive violence doesn't feel the same as when Ennis does it. Ennis tries to include moments of genuine emotion; the characters exist for more than just the shock moments. Millar could have written the scene where A-Train accidentally killed Wee Hughie's girlfriend, but he wouldn't have gone into detail about how Hughie was affected by it. Similarly, Hitman wouldn't have been a success if not for Hackett, Sean Noonan, SixPac, etc.

Millar could have written Section Eight, but Ennis made us feel sorry for them.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The futurist part was a ninja edit when I got them crossed, but the rest holds. Ennis uses cheap emotive ploys and wankery to justify characters like the Messiah.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

UltHulk was just all of Banner's desires run wild, so Eat gently caress Punch was his M.O.

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

That's certainly bad. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's rear end.