Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My buddy uses Songster and really likes it. I don't have any personal experience.

The UG app I got was the $2.99 one and I paid the 9.99 ULTIMATE PACK upgrade that they offer as soon as you install which gets you everything. I think with the base $2.99 purchase you still get most features but maybe not the midi playback and controls (?), which is what I really wanted. But yeah it's pretty great so far, highly recommend. Comes with a whole suite of stuff.

Link for clarity: http://app.ultimate-guitar.com/apps/iphone/ugt/

E: I learn songs in weird ways so being able to slow down hard parts and take them a note at a time while HEARING how it's played is super important to me. I'm not a great visual learner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can someone suggest a good classical guitar that's under $300? I've found a few options, and Craigslist has a few good offerings floating around, but I'm just not sure what to look for specifically. I already have an ibanez guitar (Christmas gift) but the board is a bit long and thin for me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Wengy posted:

Awesome! I was looking at Andersons too, but these Suhr Classics are just incredible when it comes to bang for the bucks... I can't stress enough just how well made this guitar is; it can pretty much hang with my Grosh, which is amazing and significantly more expensive. Only thing I had to do out of the box was lower the action a little bit, and that's a taste thing anyway.

Yeah, I'd still consider myself primarily a Suhr person, although this Anderson is pretty swank. Both of my Suhr are Moderns (drastically different configurations, one a Pro and one built to my spec) and they're definitely among the finest guitars I've ever handled, the Anderson hangs right there with them, but again, it's really more a 'classic' Strat design in concept more or less.

Here's a fun one:

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Verisimilidude posted:

Can someone suggest a good classical guitar that's under $300? I've found a few options, and Craigslist has a few good offerings floating around, but I'm just not sure what to look for specifically. I already have an ibanez guitar (Christmas gift) but the board is a bit long and thin for me.

I don't have huge amounts of experience with a wide range of classical guitars, but I very much like my Cordoba C5. Looking back, it was 330€ new, so you would probably have to try and find a used one to get under your price point.

One of the things that stands out about it (for a beginner classical) is that the top is solid cedar as opposed to laminate, which most people find makes it sound cleaner. Definitely see if you can try it out first, since I can't compare it to the Ibanez. Fretboards on classical guitars are generally going to be thinner and wider than most steel string acoustics, though, if that's what you're used to.

e: Picture, since I think it's pretty.

ABen fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 20, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
More unfinished song posting time!

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/office-space-midway

I got a few things to work on and I have a few ideas on where to go with this, and they're mostly ripping off vektor. Some of the parts aren't as articulate as I would like them to be so I'm going to rerecord them, but I'd love some feedback. Particularly on the drums as I'm wondering if they get too busy during the fast part at 1:49

Edit: I'm going to try and get some tempo/beat variations going in there because I think my stuff kinda comes out like Belphegor in that it's just "all fast all the time" and you don't get to appreciate the fast parts without having something to counterbalance them. Time to gather some inspirations, aka stuff to ape drum patterns from.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 20, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
90% of the time I program my own beats but sometimes if I just want a simple blast I'll pinch one from Superior Drummer. The fills in there are pretty OK too.

My problem is I'll do a beat, realise the pattern is from a song I like then just end up playing that rather than writing stuff. This is less of an issue with double kick driven stuff.

A good technique to make stuff sound faster or slower is keeping the same tempo and then halving the snare frequency (so instead of 2 and 4 just on the 3) or speeding up the kick to triplets. Listen to the end of Ektomorf's Holy Noise https://youtu.be/24RgfZRIM0A for an example of the first
and https://youtu.be/jwD8KXlKkQg for the latter. I've been working on a cover of the latter for ages (only got the drums done) and its all basically 104bpm barring human flux but the trem picked bit and the chunky post chorus add a real push and pull to it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is where my Talman lust stems from, from back in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gluMO_-Ar4c

I was never an Offspring fan but I used to lust after those guitars in pics in the music mags at the time

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NonzeroCircle posted:

90% of the time I program my own beats but sometimes if I just want a simple blast I'll pinch one from Superior Drummer. The fills in there are pretty OK too.

My problem is I'll do a beat, realise the pattern is from a song I like then just end up playing that rather than writing stuff. This is less of an issue with double kick driven stuff.

A good technique to make stuff sound faster or slower is keeping the same tempo and then halving the snare frequency (so instead of 2 and 4 just on the 3) or speeding up the kick to triplets. Listen to the end of Ektomorf's Holy Noise https://youtu.be/24RgfZRIM0A for an example of the first
and https://youtu.be/jwD8KXlKkQg for the latter. I've been working on a cover of the latter for ages (only got the drums done) and its all basically 104bpm barring human flux but the trem picked bit and the chunky post chorus add a real push and pull to it.

I made a bank of beats in 8 measure chunks from other songs and I just copy pasted into the song to write this, which is how I did the morty song too, in a way. I'm not sure I like it since it kinda feels like a random grouping of riffs with no real cohesiveness and nothing really builds up. Sort of like a montage of riffs and not a song.

Until I figured out how to change tempos in reaper I was doing that, but luckily I actually read the right click menu :derp:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Played a gig finally last night, first one in a loooong time.
Was awesome! Full house and everything went cool :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

Played a gig finally last night, first one in a loooong time.
Was awesome! Full house and everything went cool :)

Ain't it be best feeling? I had the opposite of going cool last night, from my musician's monitor earplugs generating a constant "Excite Bike" sound, to indeterminate catastrophic pedal board failure, to my ill-advised decision to tilt my amp back based on an article I'd read recently (turns out you only want want to decrease the treble if you're being mic'ed!) resulting in my drummer's inability to hear cues through the resulting mid-range mush, to the fact that we only people there were the other bands and the people who ran the art space...

And I still had a great time! :unsmith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Ain't it be best feeling? I had the opposite of going cool last night, from my musician's monitor earplugs generating a constant "Excite Bike" sound, to indeterminate catastrophic pedal board failure, to my ill-advised decision to tilt my amp back based on an article I'd read recently (turns out you only want want to decrease the treble if you're being mic'ed!) resulting in my drummer's inability to hear cues through the resulting mid-range mush, to the fact that we only people there were the other bands and the people who ran the art space...

And I still had a great time! :unsmith:

Eventful :)
Ours went well, it's pretty low risk gear wise. It was a busy night and it was live on radio, it's really odd cos the band are sort of pretty popular and I had a roadie for the first time in my life, that is extremely strange but - not gonna lie- loving cool

It's been a baptism of fire really, we are headlining a festival in a couple of months so things are great, but it's been a massive effort to get up to speed, 11 songs in 5 weeks to learn and play. But for the first time in such a long time I felt properly alive, it's really nice to have a long lost part of my life back. I didn't realise how much I missed the soundcheck / chilling out with new music pals part, the only part I have never liked is after - the backslapping stuff, I am not good at that, so I hosed off home instead and had a cup of tea. Rock n roll.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have been trying to get back into guitar in a "this is going to be the time, for real, no really" way and take it a bit more seriously than I did before. I do have a couple newbie questions, however.

A) I understand that I should be playing with a metronome, but how exactly should I be doing that? Should I set it to a number that I can consistently hit notes at and then just slowly speed it up over time? What is a target speed for playing "real time" for most songs?

B) So previously I was following the Justin Guitar routine which taught me the basics of the chords. However, the large majority of the songs that I find are picking individual strings rather than just strummed chords. Should I be focusing on memorizing all of the chords, or should I focus on being faster at picking individual strings/patterns?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have been trying to get back into guitar in a "this is going to be the time, for real, no really" way and take it a bit more seriously than I did before. I do have a couple newbie questions, however.

A) I understand that I should be playing with a metronome, but how exactly should I be doing that? Should I set it to a number that I can consistently hit notes at and then just slowly speed it up over time? What is a target speed for playing "real time" for most songs?

B) So previously I was following the Justin Guitar routine which taught me the basics of the chords. However, the large majority of the songs that I find are picking individual strings rather than just strummed chords. Should I be focusing on memorizing all of the chords, or should I focus on being faster at picking individual strings/patterns?

A) How fast is the song? In general, if you're struggling with something, go as slow as you can manage to make your fingers do it while still sounding right, then work up to whatever tempo the song is. There is no target speed for most songs, since most songs are themselves at different speeds.

B) Learn music theory.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dewgy posted:

A) How fast is the song? In general, if you're struggling with something, go as slow as you can manage to make your fingers do it while still sounding right, then work up to whatever tempo the song is. There is no target speed for most songs, since most songs are themselves at different speeds.

B) Learn music theory.

I was more looking for general guidelines, but that still answers my question. As you have probably guessed I know little to no practical musical theory so I am kind of learning as I go along.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Metronomes aren't just about speed, it's more about getting your timing consistent, and giving you a clear reference so you can tell when you're struggling to pull something off (and also when you start to nail it!)

Basically you should use it all the time when you practice (or a drum machine or whatever), unless you have a good reason not to. All the different skills you can practice, the click will give you a solid target to hit, and you can speed it up by a few BPM once you're consistently managing a certain speed. Try going slower too, low BPMs are tough!

There are all kinds of exercises out there, and there's probably a ton of instruction videos on YouTube right now with shredders giving you their practice routines. Depends what you want to play really. And yeah, if you want to play the picking style you're talking about, you need to practice that too. Don't just focus on one thing, get decent at everything, and then you'll know what you need to improve at to do the stuff you want

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

baka kaba posted:

Metronomes aren't just about speed, it's more about getting your timing consistent, and giving you a clear reference so you can tell when you're struggling to pull something off (and also when you start to nail it!)

Basically you should use it all the time when you practice (or a drum machine or whatever), unless you have a good reason not to. All the different skills you can practice, the click will give you a solid target to hit, and you can speed it up by a few BPM once you're consistently managing a certain speed. Try going slower too, low BPMs are tough!

There are all kinds of exercises out there, and there's probably a ton of instruction videos on YouTube right now with shredders giving you their practice routines. Depends what you want to play really. And yeah, if you want to play the picking style you're talking about, you need to practice that too. Don't just focus on one thing, get decent at everything, and then you'll know what you need to improve at to do the stuff you want

I can't quote this hard enough. Regardless of the tempo you set the metronome at, you're training your ear-hand coordination to hold a beat, and that applies to any motion. Flat picking, economy, sweep, legato, inside, outside, whatever... even just dead simple cowboy chords (my subdivisions on strumming were craptastic for a while). Any practice is taking little bits of what you're working and making them automatic, unconscious. If you build in the ear and muscle memory of rock solid beats as it goes in, you will be miles ahead in the long run.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I was more looking for general guidelines, but that still answers my question. As you have probably guessed I know little to no practical musical theory so I am kind of learning as I go along.

To be honest the reason I answered that way is this is definitely not a "one or the other" kind of situation. It's like you're building a wall and asking "should I be focusing more on the bricks or the mortar here?"

Once it starts to click though it's a real nice feeling. :3:

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Anyone have any thoughts on pedal board signal cables. I only need 2 or 3 of them. I figured instrument cables are all about the same, but I found a few 3 packs on amazon, but they both have weird reviews about them not even fitting normal 1/4" jacks.

Are planet waves considered ok? I recognized the name but there were more than a few reviews saying that the plug was too long.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Monoprice has good cheap instrument cables. They've all been fine for me.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

havelock posted:

Monoprice has good cheap instrument cables. They've all been fine for me.

Thanks for the heads up. They seem like the right price. Out of curiosity, the difference between these two is that the second one is for stereo? So the first one would be better for pedals, or does it not really matter because a stereo works the same when plugged into a mono socket?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9780

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=601100

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Gripen5 posted:

Thanks for the heads up. They seem like the right price. Out of curiosity, the difference between these two is that the second one is for stereo? So the first one would be better for pedals, or does it not really matter because a stereo works the same when plugged into a mono socket?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9780

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=601100

TS is mono and TRS is stereo, yes.

Buy the mono cables for instruments and pedals.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

havelock posted:

Ok. That is good to know. Thanks a lot!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's me the guy struggling to play the first riff in Pillars of Creation

Keith Merrow is a hunky dreamboat

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Prepping for a new career doing youtube gear demos?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haha it took me forever to get that rhythm down for no good reason. It doesn't sound difficult at all but ...

Thankfully the rest of the song is fairly easy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fullroundaction posted:

Haha it took me forever to get that rhythm down for no good reason. It doesn't sound difficult at all but ...

Thankfully the rest of the song is fairly easy.

Yeah it's quite tricky. The rhythm isn't even that weird compared to some stuff but my brain just falls apart and wants to play it a totally other way. Just means it's a good thing to learn. Song is real fun.

comes along bort posted:

Prepping for a new career doing youtube gear demos?

Tbh Keith pretty much has my goal career locked in. I envy him and his horde of gear.

If you all can't tell me little 7 string experiment worked(backfired?) and I'm holding off on selling mine. I've actually been writing some interesting riffs lately with it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

havelock posted:

This is true not only because mono cables will be cheaper, but a stereo plug will prevent most pedals from turning on - the switching jack (which keeps the battery from draining if there isn't anything plugged into the input) gets fooled into thinking there's nothing there. :eng101:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Guys, my baby needs looking after :( Turned on my amp for the first time in like a month and everything was sweet. About ten-fifteen minutes of playing and the volume drops really low on the clean channel. Picks back up again. Weird, whatever. It kept doing it so I plugged straight in, still happened. Plugged guitar and cable to interface, all good. Called the local amp guy with a good rep and he said it doesn't sound like a tube problem and would have no idea how much or what needs repair. I have the sads now. I just want my baby back in action!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Sounds like the input receptacle is dirty or bent or damaged.

Try putting the cable in at various lengths ;) and see if that doesn't help.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Is it dropping in and out suddenly or does go loud to quiet like turning the volume down on the amp?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

Guys, my baby needs looking after :( Turned on my amp for the first time in like a month and everything was sweet. About ten-fifteen minutes of playing and the volume drops really low on the clean channel. Picks back up again. Weird, whatever. It kept doing it so I plugged straight in, still happened. Plugged guitar and cable to interface, all good. Called the local amp guy with a good rep and he said it doesn't sound like a tube problem and would have no idea how much or what needs repair. I have the sads now. I just want my baby back in action!

what kind of amp is it

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

After The War posted:

This is true not only because mono cables will be cheaper, but a stereo plug will prevent most pedals from turning on - the switching jack (which keeps the battery from draining if there isn't anything plugged into the input) gets fooled into thinking there's nothing there. :eng101:

Oddly the stereo cable is $0.02 cheaper per cable. But this is all good stuff to know.

I am trying to find a cheap 2 button footswitch that works with the Amplitube stealth pedal (the one designed for it is long since been discontinued) and it seems to require a stereo cable with non-latching buttons. Doesn't seem to be any particularly cheap options outside of building my own box. There are a LOT of two button switches out there for amps, but most of them either are either latching or do not indicate if they are latching/non-latching. But Boss makes a pedal that can be latching or non-latching and can be used with either with two mono cables or a single stereo cable in the $60 range. Will probably go with that when I have some money to spend.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Whats a good multi-guitar stand that can fit at least 7 guitars (six electric, one acoustic) and wont harm nitro finishes? I want to keep my guitars out so I feel more motivated to play them. Having to dig cases out of my closet each time kinda kills the desire to play.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got this a couple years ago and it is good. Sturdy, cheap and hasn't damaged the finish on any guitars (nitro included). http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Guitar-Folding-Stand-Holder/dp/B0051WAJ5S

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The Hercules multi guitar stand is the best one by a pretty wide margin. It comes with hardware for five guitars, but you can get addons to expand the capacity, and you can adjust them all to fit the width you need, acoustic or electric. I have the exact number and type of guitars you mention on mine!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So after Saturdays gig we decided last night to stick our acoustics in the car and go find an open mic night.
What top fun, we stumbled across a place and went at it, was a bit OTT, 4 guitars and 3 vocals but top fun.
No gigs for years then 2 in 3 days, ha ha, what a change

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

The Hercules multi guitar stand is the best one by a pretty wide margin. It comes with hardware for five guitars, but you can get addons to expand the capacity, and you can adjust them all to fit the width you need, acoustic or electric. I have the exact number and type of guitars you mention on mine!

These get good reviews as well because they don't react to nitro finishes like some cheaper ones can, leaving black smears on your stuff that can't be removed, so that's worth keeping in mind

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

Sounds like the input receptacle is dirty or bent or damaged.

Try putting the cable in at various lengths ;) and see if that doesn't help.

Tried that, no dice. Thanks though.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Is it dropping in and out suddenly or does go loud to quiet like turning the volume down on the amp?
The latter. If it's on the clean it goes whisper quiet, on crunch it goes clean and on lead it goes slightly crunchy. So yeah, just as if I rolled down the input volume.

jwh posted:

what kind of amp is it
Vox Night Train 50H. First gen.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Spray contact cleaner into the jacks and then plug and unplug a cable a bunch of times to get it spread around. Then let it dry and try again.

The used trademark 30 I bought did this and that's what tech 21 said to try first. It worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It sounds like one way or another your signal is just dropping to a really small value so I would second the contact cleaner. Stuff is pretty cheap so you won't be out a ton of cash if it doesn't work.