Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Frys is apparently accepting preorders of FE cards right now: http://www.frys.com/product/8842862

http://www.frys.com/product/8844882

http://www.frys.com/product/8844012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ahhhh. Ok.

I thought it would have been a really weird/stupid move considering that even though its older tech, the hardware still supports nearly everything currently and beyond still. Only the DX10/11 stuff from Nvidia/ATI got moved to Legacy which makes sense since the hardware cannot support DX12+ going forward no matter what the drivers do.

Luckily both sides have given some of the legacy stuff a break with Windows 10 drivers and even AMD gave the old 5000 series a crimson driver which was more than I expected for 2010 tech.

Speaking of Old Legacy tech. I was able to shoehorn the latest Legacy driver for the 8000/9000 Nvidia drivers onto an old 2006 Sony laptop with a 8400GS/Intel switchable setup and man what a performance/support difference it made in Windows 10. The GPU still sucks, but it fixed all the graphical issues/glitches/support stuff I was having with the only old Windows 7 driver I could find before. :woop:

I may have to go in Day1 and see if I can get my hands on a 1080 to "test"...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

They didn't? From the looks of it, the cooler itself is just fine. There's some wonkiness with benchmarks where the clocks look like they drop after a few minutes, but at the same time the temps are well below what NVidia has said should be the thermal throttling range, and other reviews claim that temps are fine regardless, but the things are heavily power limited, so who knows. It should be a fine option if you don't intend to overclock much and aren't concerned about spending the extra $100. Otherwise, as others have said, might as well wait for one of the AIB's to crap out a similar blower design made of plastic for $50-$100 less.

Actually according to the video poster earlier the default fan curve causes massive judder and other problems in actual games because once the GPU hits it's throttle point it rapidly switches between its base clock and much lower clocks. The only way they found to fix that was to peg the fan at 100% at which point it is extremely loud at 60dBs but the GPU can now sit at its boost clock the whole time.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So my 980Ti is fueling my 27" RoG Swift @ 2560*1440 and is doing well.
But even the 980Ti can't keep 60+ fps in newest Games with maxed settings.

And I wanna jump to an ASUS 34" curved 3440*1440 in spring 2017.
I guess I will need the 1080ti to play on Ultra settings and somehow touch 60 fps avg, won't I?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually according to the video poster earlier the default fan curve causes massive judder and other problems in actual games because once the GPU hits it's throttle point it rapidly switches between its base clock and much lower clocks. The only way they found to fix that was to peg the fan at 100% at which point it is extremely loud at 60dBs but the GPU can now sit at its boost clock the whole time.
All I heard was "watercool me"

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

So my 980Ti is fueling my 27" RoG Swift @ 2560*1440 and is doing well.
But even the 980Ti can't keep 60+ fps in newest Games with maxed settings.

And I wanna jump to an ASUS 34" curved 3440*1440 in spring 2017.
I guess I will need the 1080ti to play on Ultra settings and somehow touch 60 fps avg, won't I?

Kinda depends on what game you are talking about? Is your GPU actually being pegged at 100% load? its possible the game is cpu bound if you're playing an mmo or something like starcraft.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

DrDork posted:

All I heard was "watercool me"

Yeah

Or a normal cooler lifted off any 900 series since the tdp is lower too.

Watercooling is rad for any card tbh (if its good)

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

has anyone explained why there are evga, zotac, and asus "founders edition" cards. am i still going insane believing founders cards were reference??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, went ahead and preordered the EVGA one at Fry's. Assuming it's all not one big massive mistake, I should get shipping notification soon enough to know if it's legit when they go up for sale other places. As it stands, estimated delivery is Weds, June 1st.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
You're still getting a reference card, you just get the board partner's customer support and if you're lucky your card and packaging will look like this:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Smithereens posted:

has anyone explained why there are evga, zotac, and asus "founders edition" cards. am i still going insane believing founders cards were reference??

Similar to the Titan X I'm assuminig. I really doubt the values will be any different between any of them on these particular cards

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, went ahead and preordered the EVGA one at Fry's. Assuming it's all not one big massive mistake, I should get shipping notification soon enough to know if it's legit when they go up for sale other places. As it stands, estimated delivery is Weds, June 1st.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought it was only throttling when they were running Overclocked and it was hitting the Temp limit. I thought running stock it was chilling in the 60C range most of the time?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And we have the first sucker in the thread :woop:

Better hope EVGA's step-up program goes by dollar value!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

EdEddnEddy posted:

I thought it was only throttling when they were running Overclocked and it was hitting the Temp limit. I thought running stock it was chilling in the 60C range most of the time?

Thats what I thought too but I didn't verify it personally. Throttling at stock speeds doesn't sound right however, but if so I imagine they were be scrambling for a day 1 patch on that one.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It does, although they won't pay you the difference if they "owe" you. So in theory you could step up to whichever model they sell out of the 27 1080's they will offer closest to $700.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo. I have a rift showing up soon afterwards and have nothing to run it.

$100 is worth not staring at my new toy without being able to use it.

Besides all that, Amex lets me return things within 90 days for any reason. So if the situation ends up being ton better than it's looking, I can always return it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Animal posted:

An open cooler plus the CPU cooler (Corsair H100i) is a lot of hot air being dumped into such a small case. I can experiment with a top exhaust but it just seems like a bad idea overall. Everywhere I looked it's not recommended.

The reference coolers on my past Titan and 980's were fantastic, I wonder how they managed to gently caress it up this time around.

What if you flip the cooler so it's extracting? That might help you get enough air out that the card can get fresh and have its warm air extracted.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Slider posted:

Kinda depends on what game you are talking about? Is your GPU actually being pegged at 100% load? its possible the game is cpu bound if you're playing an mmo or something like starcraft.

I got an i7-6700k @ 4,4 Ghz, but GTA V, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 or Dark Souls 3 have some options to burn fps. It is stupid hunting for fps, I know, just my own tech-game in the game.

Just tuning down 1-2 options (hairworks lol) allows beyond 60 fps avg on 1440p easier.

WoW on ultra with 4*MSAA is still 144 fps capped tho, but that 2*SSAA and 8*MSAA(A2C) and CMAA combined tanks the fps below 60 finally in cities.

I can't imagine a custom 1080 beeing "enough" to keep 60+ fps on "maxed" @ 3440*1440.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

EdEddnEddy posted:

No, what would happen is that for roughly 20 minutes the cards would run boosted clocks (up to 1886Mhz) and the temps would hit the 83°C tripline then throttle like crazy downwards towards just above stock clocks and 82°C, without modifications to the fan curve. The blower can't seem really keep the chip cool for prolonged periods.

That, and combined with what are hard limits in the vbios to voltage and power draw seem to indicate yield issues, and that letting people screw around with pushing those settings would kill the chip. GP104 golden samples should be seriously better than this FE poo poo and likely at the same price point from AIBs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm tempted to pre-order just to try and flip it for 100% the retail price on Amazon/eBay to someone with more money than patience.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I'm tempted to pre-order just to try and flip it for 100% the retail price on Amazon/eBay to someone with more money than patience.
I don't recall what happened when the 980 was released, but I'm going to guess you might clear $150 after Ebay and Paypal fees.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GTX 1080 waterblock made by Bykski

Ek waterblocks

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 23, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SlayVus posted:

GTX 1080 waterblock made by Bykski

you can't hotlink that domain

be a cool dude, rehost your images

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, those of us waiting on AMD's announcement have aged several decades.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't recall what happened when the 980 was released, but I'm going to guess you might clear $150 after Ebay and Paypal fees.

That'd be cool. At $100 plus what I got for my 970 and 7870. I could get the 1070 for free.

Feels like a high risk move though so I probably won't try.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want good price/performance in a 200-300 dollar card.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just want good price/performance in a 200-300 dollar card.

Used 970s are probably going to be the best bet, depending on what AMD announces.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, those of us waiting on AMD's announcement have aged several decades.

i haven't heard a good star -> hot running gpu joke in awhile so this is killing me

edit: i wonder if the big bang did a 10 min warmup before benchmarking their stars

Voxx fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Nope, it gets to its temp limit of 83C just running at the default clocks/boost clocks and then starts throttling like mad, it's just that it takes well over ten minutes to reach full temp and start doing that so most reviewers never saw that behavior because they were just running benchmarks long enough to get a score, when tested in a case(Fractal Design Define R5) and playing games for extended periods it displays the judder and throttling behavior. You can fix it by ramping up the fan but that will make it much louder. BTW :laffo: forever if the FE 1080 ends up with the same problems that the stock cooler R9 290/X had.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lockback posted:

Used 970s are probably going to be the best bet, depending on what AMD announces.

Getting into NV cards that are a generation old already seems like a losing bet, and I'd be shocked if the 480(X) didn't deliver performance comparable to or better than a 970.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nope, it gets to its temp limit of 83C just running at the default clocks/boost clocks and then starts throttling like mad, it's just that it takes well over ten minutes to reach full temp and start doing that so most reviewers never saw that behavior because they were just running benchmarks long enough to get a score, when tested in a case(Fractal Design Define R5) and playing games for extended periods it displays the judder and throttling behavior. You can fix it by ramping up the fan but that will make it much louder. BTW :laffo: forever if the FE 1080 ends up with the same problems that the stock cooler R9 290/X had.

That is surprising considering how much power savings this car is supposed to have vs its performance. It's like they either broke the reference cooler that was soo good on the 690/780+ (The 900 series wasn't vapor chamber I believe), but at the same time, won't let it ramp up to keep it just below say 80C.

WTF is the temp cap doing at 83C anyway? That feels surprisingly low for a GPU to start spike throttling so badly that it would cause judder so badly in games after only 10 minutes. Wasn't the 780's and other cards sort of 85C with a hard throttling cap at 90C or am i thinking back farther to my AMD days? (got 130C VRMs on a 4870X2 Refurb that was artifacting and getting replaced anyway lol :v: )

If Nvidia doesn't have a fix in place before they hit stores in their drivers they might get hit like the 970 issue all over again, which wouldn't be bad for potential free stuff or discounts/partial refunds (-$100 maybe?) if they don't.

If they try and say that under "normal" gameplay it doesn't reach that temp, then well... :psyduck:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the 1060 will be good. You never know.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder what the fan activity is like when the cards start throttling at 83 degrees. I read about people who put the fan at 100% and the throttling went away, but I don't think I've come across anyone who did a binary search for a threshold somewhere less than that

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Voxx posted:

i haven't heard a good star -> hot running gpu joke in awhile so this is killing me

edit: i wonder if the big bang did a 10 min warmup before benchmarking their stars

If Polaris turns out to be a wet fart: "Polaris? More like Sigma Octantis!" You see because it all went south and is too dim to be useful for navigation anyways. :smug: :downsrim:

I'm just gonna show myself out now...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

didn't reviewers say that the FE at 100% fan speed is almost as loud as the 290x at 100%? :ironicat:

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

didn't reviewers say that the FE at 100% fan speed is almost as loud as the 290x at 100%? :ironicat:

This review puts it about 57db at 100%:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2441-diy-gtx-1080-hybrid-thermals-100-percent-lower-higher-oc-room

That's similar to a 2000W Honda inverter generator (53db @ quarter load, 59 fully loaded):
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Naffer posted:

That's similar to a 2000W Honda inverter generator (53db @ quarter load, 59 fully loaded):
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

Ah, that's a good comparator because everyone is familiar with sitting a few feet from a generator which is mostly inside a case. Well-spotted.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Considering the Blower Fan looks like the same one they have been using since the 690 days, even at 100% it was nowhere near the loudness of any AMD one of note.

Unless they somehow completely borked all the work they did on the fan shroud in the 690/780(Ti) day with this new angular design or something... Even then you shouldn't need 100% fans to keep the card at say 70C (when I max out my fan curve on all my cards these days) Usually on the 780 (even the one thats stuck close to the 1st in SLI so it is usually 10C hotter) didn't take more than 75-80% fan speed to keep it at or below 70C. The only time I had the fans ever sit around 100% for any period of time was Benchmarking while I had them OC'ed as far as I could and even then, it still stayed at or just above 70C.

Now considering ASUS dropped this little hint yesterday, I'd say if you are worried at all about the stock fan not keeping up with a limited OCable card, this should do it if you want a single card you plan on using on air.

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/734368525133983744

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW :laffo: forever if the FE 1080 ends up with the same problems that the stock cooler R9 290/X had.

IIRC though, the 290/X had a worse blower and higher temps than the 1080FE.

Subjunctive posted:

Ah, that's a good comparator because everyone is familiar with sitting a few feet from a generator which is mostly inside a case. Well-spotted.

~60db is standard speech. Doesn't sound that bad until you realize it's the equivalent of screeching at the same volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is surprising considering how much power savings this car is supposed to have vs its performance. It's like they either broke the reference cooler that was soo good on the 690/780+ (The 900 series wasn't vapor chamber I believe), but at the same time, won't let it ramp up to keep it just below say 80C.

WTF is the temp cap doing at 83C anyway? That feels surprisingly low for a GPU to start spike throttling so badly that it would cause judder so badly in games after only 10 minutes. Wasn't the 780's and other cards sort of 85C with a hard throttling cap at 90C or am i thinking back farther to my AMD days? (got 130C VRMs on a 4870X2 Refurb that was artifacting and getting replaced anyway lol :v: )

If Nvidia doesn't have a fix in place before they hit stores in their drivers they might get hit like the 970 issue all over again, which wouldn't be bad for potential free stuff or discounts/partial refunds (-$100 maybe?) if they don't.

If they try and say that under "normal" gameplay it doesn't reach that temp, then well... :psyduck:

Something's really wrong if a card at only 83 degrees drops to like sub 500 mhz or 163mhz limp mode clocks, that's only supposed to happen at the hard cutoff of 95+ degrees C. At 83 it should just be back to completely stock/non boosted clocks.

Sounds like buggy drivers or video BIOS if that type of behavior is actually happening and not something else.

Have to wait for one of the really in depth looks from anandtech or something to see, is my bet.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 23, 2016