Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

japtor posted:

Theyve been in the 10-15% range in the US for a while, usually #3 or 4 I think, with HP and Dell over 50% together. Compared to any one PC company it's sizable enough, but for the Mac as an OS it's still tiny cause Windows is pretty much everywhere else.

Pretty sure Lenovo is on top these days still.

Ninja edit: there's a nice wiki on it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That astonishes me, frankly.

I would never actually buy or use a Lenovo brand, Thinkpad design language be damned. Sure, it's supposed to be the ultimate working professional's laptop, but I wouldn't trust a Chinese company to not have a low-level backdoor spying on me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would never actually buy or use a Lenovo brand, Thinkpad design language be damned. Sure, it's supposed to be the ultimate working professional's laptop, but I wouldn't trust a Chinese company to not have a low-level backdoor spying on me.
Can't trust american companies either. Pick your poison.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
See, the difference is that I don't have a legal presence over there.

At least with American companies, I have legal rights and....pfft AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Hasn't lenovo had 2 back doors now?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, let's compare notes. I remember Superfish, a BIOS backdoor, and a report in the mid-2000s that the CIA and MI5/MI6 had banned the use of Lenovo devices for use on any classified networks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cardboard Box A posted:

Can't trust american companies either. Pick your poison.

Apple. :smug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They made all the Thinkpads for IBM, anyway.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Hasn't lenovo had 2 back doors now?

Yuup.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

See, the difference is that I don't have a legal presence over there.

At least with American companies, I have legal rights and....pfft AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, you have the right to remain silent.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At this point, I'm not entirely convinced that some idiot senator out there is going to try to pass legislation to insert mandatory arbitration clauses with third-party arbitration firms into the U.S. Constitution. Maybe that will be dear Senator Feinstein's last achievement in office before we welcome her home to California at the end of her last term as senator for the last time... with a loving riot.

(Swear to god, that woman has been worse for national security than any other human being on the planet.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Where are apple computers made precious?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Where are apple computers made precious?

Austin, Texas?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I used to be pro lenovo, but now that they've been caught out twice bundling malware onto their laptops I'd never buy another one. It's a shame because they were the only ones left in Australia at least that offered substantial customization on their laptops. If I had to buy a laptop now I'd get a Mac.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At this point, I'm not entirely convinced that some idiot senator out there is going to try to pass legislation to insert mandatory arbitration clauses with third-party arbitration firms into the U.S. Constitution. Maybe that will be dear Senator Feinstein's last achievement in office before we welcome her home to California at the end of her last term as senator for the last time... with a loving riot.

(Swear to god, that woman has been worse for national security than any other human being on the planet.)

While I have no warm feelings toward Sen. Feinstein, the constitution can only be amended by approval of 3/4 of the states. Much easier to merely quietly continue to ignore it, and count on the people's ignorance and lack of attention.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Feinstein has a history of being a horrible law maker. Do something, you Californians!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

Feinstein has a history of being a horrible law maker. Do something, you Californians!

She's 84, will not be seeking re-election, and is gone at the end of this term.

I voted for someone else during the primary, I'm not happy that she got re-elected. Thankfully, Senator Ron Wyden out of Oregon has vowed to filibuster the Feinstein backdoor bill, so I have confidence that she won't get to gently caress the country up any more before she leaves office.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

She's 84, will not be seeking re-election, and is gone at the end of this term.

I voted for someone else during the primary, I'm not happy that she got re-elected. Thankfully, Senator Ron Wyden out of Oregon has vowed to filibuster the Feinstein backdoor bill, so I have confidence that she won't get to gently caress the country up any more before she leaves office.

This is the best news I've heard all day.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

because frankly, convenience > chinese government hax

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Back to AMD news:

http://wccftech.com/amd-only-fabricating-octa-core-zen-x86-die/

I hope that they're not making another mistake with octa-core parts. Every time I hear the words "AMD" and "octa-core" in the same sentence, I get a sinking feeling of dread, even though, say, a cheap 6-8-core Xeon with appreciable clocks that I can turn into a multi-purpose beast are exactly what I want in my next machine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It could be a sign that 14nm LPP yields are amazing, and that the base design for Zen is 8 cores, so doing 4 and 2 core parts would be literally throwing money away.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The base design for Summit Ridge, you mean. Raven Ridge could be the low-core+GPU thing, and they're targeting 16 and 32 core dies for Opteron.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My point is that all the years of lovely FX-branded CMT 8-cores have me thinking that they're going to be more of the weak, underperforming garbage that no self-respecting PC enthusiast with a decent budget should touch.

I expect that this feeling won't go away until we get some proper benchmarks, but at a minimum, AMD MUST get themselves away from the poisoned FX branding if they want to at least not castrate themselves going forward.

Edit: They could do a lot worse than Athlon/Phenom III.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 5, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Zen cores do not have a shared frontend, right? Are those big Opterons expected to be hyper-threaded? Hyperthreading is pretty drat nice for server workloads.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The base design for Summit Ridge, you mean. Raven Ridge could be the low-core+GPU thing, and they're targeting 16 and 32 core dies for Opteron.

Possibly, but my impression was that AMD was going to MCM these things anyway. Raven Ridge may be delayed simply because AMD's yields are so good it's simply not profitable to do Raven Ridge yet and slice up good Summit Ridge chips. I mean they're already doing a desktop and a server chip, why specifically design something limited to 4 cores?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My point is that all the years of lovely FX-branded CMT 8-cores have me thinking that they're going to be more of the weak, underperforming garbage that no self-respecting PC enthusiast with a decent budget should touch.

I expect that this feeling won't go away until we get some proper benchmarks, but at a minimum, AMD MUST get themselves away from the poisoned FX branding if they want to at least not castrate themselves going forward.

Edit: They could do a lot worse than Athlon/Phenom III.

Said earlier in the thread, but Duron Z, Athlon Z, Phenom Z branding for Summit Ridge. Since they're doing 6 and 8 cores only then

Z8-X380R
Z8-X380
Z8-X350R
Z8-X350
Z8-X330
Z8-X310
Z8-X280R
Z8-X280
Z8-X250E
Z8-X220E
Z6-X440R
Z6-X420
Z6-X400R
Z6-X400
Z6-X380R
Z6-X380
Z6-X350
Z6-X330E
Z6-X280E
Z6-X240E

As SKUs. Z for Zen (and opposed to A), followed by number of "compute units", then X to be fancy/flexible, followed by clock speed and either blank for standard, R for unlocked, E for efficient. Phenoms have SMT, Athlon have SMT disabled, Durons have no L3.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Please have decent single core performance (equivalent to maybe a 3-3.5 GHz Haswell at least) in the better parts. Otherwise the things are DoA again.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

As long as it is cheap and almost comparable to Intel stuff ill buy it. I don't believe many people will see a real difference.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

system protocol posted:

As long as it is cheap and almost comparable to Intel stuff ill buy it. I don't believe many people will see a real difference.

Also not 150W vs 75W

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

system protocol posted:

Yeah, same. If it's competitive with at least Haswell in single thread performance and offers many well priced multiplier unlocked SKUs, Zen here we come...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I know it's semi accurate but lots of sourced information within the article.

AMD accidentally leaks Zen die shot, internet goes crazy. Looks like 8MB L3 cache shared between 4 Zen cores, and if Zen is roughly the same size as Excavator (it looks like it) a single 14nmFF Zen core is the same size as a 28nm Excavator module. Also, if the guessed diagrams are correct, there doesn't seem to be a good way to laser off a Zen chip from 6/8 cores to 2/4, and this might mean an entirely separate design for Raven Ridge as I'm not seeing how a GPU would get MCM'ed.

So maybe Raven Ridge is mobility designs (that get carried over to desktop), and they'd have 4MB L3 Cache, up to 4 cores, and maybe up to 768SPs.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 23, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Great article, gives me hope for AMD in the near future.

As far as chip features go, AMD likely won't have TB3 over USB C like Intel chips support, will they?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Whereas on the other hand, I am now on suicide watch.

I know that they had to split the L3 up into two separate chunks in order to facilitate the whole future interposer thing, but still:

JIM. YOU HAVE A loving PATENT SHARING AGREEMENT WITH INTEL. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO AVOID DOING EXACTLY INTEL FOR THE SAKE OF DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Whereas in the past, they split up the integer units into two halves with the floating point in the middle, now we're doing two blocks of four cores. :suicide:

Look, I know that you're moving towards assembling all your chips piecemeal from the bottom of the stack on up, but you're *not doing it yet* and your chips don't have to loving reflect that! The aren't ambidextrous enough that you can just saw them in half; the south bridge is on the one side and not duplicated and arrrrrrgh

This has me worrying that AMD has decided that big.LITTLE was a good idea to scale up somehow, and I swear we're gonna see some weirdness with latencies when workloads go from 4 cores to 5 and up.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 23, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

aren't the xeon 12+ core chips split up in more awkward ways though

edit: indeed they are:
http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/09/08/intel-ups-performance-ante-haswell-xeon-chips/
http://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-e52600-v3-haswellep-workstation-server-processors-unleashed-highperformance-computing/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NewFatMike posted:

Great article, gives me hope for AMD in the near future.

As far as chip features go, AMD likely won't have TB3 over USB C like Intel chips support, will they?

If past amd motherboards have shown us anything it is any feature can be baked into the board if you try hard enough.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whereas on the other hand, I am now on suicide watch.

I know that they had to split the L3 up into two separate chunks in order to facilitate the whole future interposer thing, but still:

JIM. YOU HAVE A loving PATENT SHARING AGREEMENT WITH INTEL. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO AVOID DOING EXACTLY INTEL FOR THE SAKE OF DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Whereas in the past, they split up the integer units into two halves with the floating point in the middle, now we're doing two blocks of four cores. :suicide:

Look, I know that you're moving towards assembling all your chips piecemeal from the bottom of the stack on up, but you're *not doing it yet* and your chips don't have the loving reflect that! The aren't ambidextrous enough that you can just saw them in half; the south bridge is on the one side and not duplicated and arrrrrrgh

This has me worrying that AMD has decided that big.LITTLE was a good idea to scale up somehow, and I swear we're gonna see some weirdness with latencies when workloads go from 4 cores to 5 and up.

I agree that their decision to give non-uniform cache access is going to make workloads scale strangely across more than 4 cores, but that's a problem pretty well characterized already thanks to multi-socket systems having non-uniform memory access. They might even find some way to express the 4+4 NUMA setup to the OS inside of each module so the thread scheduler knows where to put stuff.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Isn't that also one of the reasons AMD's "fake" 8 cores run better on Windows 8+ because it knows which cores are individual Modules and which are shared between the two? I assume this news would just mean when they go >4 cores were still in the same goofy ballpark and though OS's like Windows know which cores to use as workloads request it, once they go above 4C's it will start having diminishing returns again?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yes, but unless I miss my guess, these aren't Opterons. These are supposed to be top-of-the-line FX chips, and holy crap do I wish they'd get rid of the FX nomenclature just because of how tainted it is by the past five years.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Isn't that also one of the reasons AMD's "fake" 8 cores run better on Windows 8+ because it knows which cores are individual Modules and which are shared between the two? I assume this news would just mean when they go >4 cores were still in the same goofy ballpark and though OS's like Windows know which cores to use as workloads request it, once they go above 4C's it will start having diminishing returns again?

I believe it's more of a hardware thing, and preamble to eventually building most of their non SoC products with interposers. Of course, if that were the case, I just don't see why they couldn't have taken the two quad-core segments, rotated the one on the left 90 degrees to the left, the other 90 degrees to the right, and then pinned them together via one contiguous chunk of L3 a la NVidia L2 crossbar. I mean it's not as though they're taking the world's tiniest circular saw and chopping up silicon to put into interposered CPUs yet, so why isn't it laid-out in a more traditional fashion *now*?

Of course, I can't say for certain what the silicon between cores actually does until we start getting some actual product. But it seems like it's the least important change that they've made with regard to our glorious interposer future, and that really bothers me because it feels like it's something that could be a self-inflicted wound of AMD not wanting to do what the rest of the industry does for the sake of being different.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 23, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Coming to a CPU socket soon: Crossfire x86.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT THAT poo poo.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I think this also brings up an interesting question on yield viability. AMD intends to sell 8 and 6 core SKUs, and to get a 6 core SKU it'd seem to be pretty easy - deactivate 2 of the cores on a single grouping. But what if you have a defect per 4 core group, such that you'd need to deactivate 1 core each per group of 4.

Unless the grouping doesn't matter performance wise, or AMD has a nifty software trick, would't there be a noticable performance difference between a hexacore with a fully active 4 group vs the 3/4 active group when 4 cores are needed for a workload?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any one know or know the rumors concerning how high the DDR4 support will go on Zen consumer desktop level? DDR4 3200 native?

• Locked thread