Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

I definitely see lovely driving in spurts. Be fine for a week or two, then suddenly a half dozen people in rapid succession try their hardest to kill me either by direct intervention or hastening my heart attack.

Probably where sayings like "bad news comes in threes" comes from.

But knowing human nature I'm just creating patterns where none exist.

Nah, there's a pattern - case in point, I get as far away as possible from anyone driving any kind of SUV because I know they've got the spatial awareness of a nearsighted cyclops with loving glaucoma and most of the time, won't pay attention to anything around them. It's got to the point near me that I can predict with about 85-90% accuracy the age and gender of the person causing the problem simply based on the style of driving. Old Buick land yacht doing 15 under and drifting between lanes? Yep, old fart falling asleep at the wheel. SUV hops a curb or blows through a light? Usually a moron on a cell phone.

On the upside it's easier to avoid people because they're so predictably stupid and careless, even helps me plan my routes around town because I know which most common ways the idiots go, and can avoid them completely since they're not smart enough to realize there's more than one route to their destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm seriously starting to think there is something to hormones and the moon cycles because the amount of idiotic or over the top inane aggression for no reason on the road sure seems to peak in clusters of 2-4 days and then everyone goes back to normal. Then I look up the current phase of the moon and... no surprises.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I imagine this is a thing in a lot of metro areas but in SoCal, just before the freeways clog up in the morning, people drive like they have to poop. Not just fast but really aggressive, weaving between cars. Actually not just the highways, in Irvine, Lake Forest etc the big wide streets are pretty nasty too before congestion takes hold.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd like to see pieces of poo poo stop committing crimes and fleeing in cars but I don't think that culture is going to stop either.

I skipped to the end of this thread to find your most recent twattish comment and tell you that I have never in my entire forums posting career looked harder for the button that allows me to pay the forums to ban someone. Shut the gently caress up, you insufferable oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's a very masochistic way of handling that.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Sudo Echo posted:

Saw some beat to poo poo Corolla today with a tire out of balance/worn shock so bad their left rear tire was bouncing up and down like a basketball. It was leaving the pavement a good 2-3". Guy is just cruising in the left lane doing 80mph without a care in the world. Wanted to take a video but I was driving. How the hell do people ignore poo poo like that? In a tiny car like that it must have felt like hell in the car, not just the noise.

I couldn't safely get a picture but earlier this week I saw an old Integra that looked like it had been t-boned low on the passenger side clearly compromising the entire frame of the car and making it necessary to utilize a duct taped garbage bag as a substitute for a real passenger door. The right rear wheel was also tweaked out at some absurd angle. That doesn't sound all that interesting except I saw this car when it passed me on the freeway at a good clip when I was already doing about 70. :downs:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I nearly got hit crossing the street tonight by a driver that ran a red. That's why I never cross until the car has at least shown signs of trying to stop, whether I have the right of way or not!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPUe80oBZw

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

I had something slightly similar happen to me yesterday after I filtered (legally) past a car at a red light so I could get to the front, some woman took offence and honked at me as I passed her, when I turned around she flipped me off. I just shook my head and waited for the light to go green, when it did I took of like normal, but lo and behold said woman decided to drive up beside me in the other land and start shouting and screaming at me about how i'm being dangerous, being the mature person I was I shouted at her that i'm allowed to do it in this state and she should gently caress off then I flipped her off, she pulled into another street soon after but not before she flipped me off once more.

It's not the only time people have taken offence to me filtering past them too, but usually they do one of two dumb things, either speed up and merge in front of me only to take an exit only meters after merging in front of me, or they speed up and get in front of me only to get stopped at the next red light and for me to get another couple of car lengths ahead. The mentality of "I have to be in front and gently caress that other guy!" is really loving baffling.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Why do people like to be ahead of other people?" said the motorcyclist filtering past stopped cars.

It's not right to get angry about it, but it's also easy to understand why people want to be in front of other people.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Saw a drunk driver wipe out on the freeway tonight, roughly half a mile after I decided I should call this guy in and about 2 miles after he first passed me. Got off the phone with state patrol and then he came up on someone, realized he was going to hit them I guess, over corrected and spun out ending up in the median. Manged to get going and pulled off the highway, I called state patrol back and followed him off but he quickly darted down teeny streets at a zillion miles per hour and I wasn't about to encourage that. Hope they get the fucker. I only caught two digits of the plate, but was able to give a good description at least. Dashcam was in the other vehicle; guess I need a second.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Tarantula posted:

I had something slightly similar happen to me yesterday after I filtered (legally) past a car at a red light so I could get to the front, some woman took offence and honked at me as I passed her, when I turned around she flipped me off. I just shook my head and waited for the light to go green, when it did I took of like normal, but lo and behold said woman decided to drive up beside me in the other land and start shouting and screaming at me about how i'm being dangerous, being the mature person I was I shouted at her that i'm allowed to do it in this state and she should gently caress off then I flipped her off, she pulled into another street soon after but not before she flipped me off once more.

It's not the only time people have taken offence to me filtering past them too, but usually they do one of two dumb things, either speed up and merge in front of me only to take an exit only meters after merging in front of me, or they speed up and get in front of me only to get stopped at the next red light and for me to get another couple of car lengths ahead. The mentality of "I have to be in front and gently caress that other guy!" is really loving baffling.

My wife drove home from a doctors appointment. We live 30 miles from town. She told me that the fuel light came on, on the way home. So I grabbed one of the massive gas cans I keep on hand for just such occasion, and put what I "guessed" was about just under two gallons into the car. It must have been lower than she indicated, because we started the car to warm it up in the near zero temps at the time to head into town.

As we approached our exit, the car ran out of gas. We coasted down the exit. Now this exit does not have two lanes, but it is wide, and people generally form two lines, by putting two tires on the shoulder. One line for right on reds, and one for those who wait for the light to change for lefts.

Now our problem is that the gas station is about 500 feet away, up a hill steeper than the offramp. I am kind of a boyscout, so I grabbed the harbor freight tow strap from the back, and grabbed the tow bolt and installed it in the front bumper while the wife called a friend to give us a hand. I always buy a tow strap, a compressor, and a flashlight for every vehicle when we get them. Maybe I should invest in one of those folding gas cans right?

So the whole time I am doing this, we are pulled way over, but the second line that forms normally can't. We are in the way dead on the shoulder. This exit is so poorly built, that traffic backs up. Like 8 cars behind us. They have to wait for light cycles to go around us.

So as each redneck over-chipped diesel pickup turns right, we get a hearty "loving MORON!" or a "GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!" and a roll of coal in our faces as they make the right in a cloud of tire smoke.

I was amazed by how impatient and genuinely angry people were by a simple car on the shoulder that was blocking their curb jumping right on reds. It was eye opening. This wasn't even in the morning commute. It was around early lunch time though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZv_TARX3lI&t=6s

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

My wife drove home from a doctors appointment. We live 30 miles from town. She told me that the fuel light came on, on the way home. So I grabbed one of the massive gas cans I keep on hand for just such occasion, and put what I "guessed" was about just under two gallons into the car. It must have been lower than she indicated, because we started the car to warm it up in the near zero temps at the time to head into town.

As we approached our exit, the car ran out of gas. We coasted down the exit. Now this exit does not have two lanes, but it is wide, and people generally form two lines, by putting two tires on the shoulder. One line for right on reds, and one for those who wait for the light to change for lefts.

Now our problem is that the gas station is about 500 feet away, up a hill steeper than the offramp. I am kind of a boyscout, so I grabbed the harbor freight tow strap from the back, and grabbed the tow bolt and installed it in the front bumper while the wife called a friend to give us a hand. I always buy a tow strap, a compressor, and a flashlight for every vehicle when we get them. Maybe I should invest in one of those folding gas cans right?

So the whole time I am doing this, we are pulled way over, but the second line that forms normally can't. We are in the way dead on the shoulder. This exit is so poorly built, that traffic backs up. Like 8 cars behind us. They have to wait for light cycles to go around us.

So as each redneck over-chipped diesel pickup turns right, we get a hearty "loving MORON!" or a "GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!" and a roll of coal in our faces as they make the right in a cloud of tire smoke.

I was amazed by how impatient and genuinely angry people were by a simple car on the shoulder that was blocking their curb jumping right on reds. It was eye opening. This wasn't even in the morning commute. It was around early lunch time though.

I saw something similar to this happen a few weeks ago. 295 North, where I get onto it in Jessup, MD, is always stop and go. Just past the end of the on-ramp all the traffic in the right lane was trying to get into the left lane, slowing down the usual super slow crawl even more. Some poor bastard has broken down in the right lane. Because traffic was already backed up here he didn't have enough room or speed to coast onto the shoulder before his car stopped, but he was clearly trying to get over as his car was at an angle to the lane, and he was outside of it trying to push it. Of course some mother fucker honked at him, as if he was choosing to be there.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tarantula posted:

Filtering is literally the equivalent of wearing a swastika t-shirt and screaming "don't you know it's a piece symbol!" or zipper merging and yelling about improving the flow of traffic.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
The only time filtering gets my ire up is on the 91 through Corona Ca. Especially now that the area is a dickered with construction, the lanes are narrowed and there are signs that say either not to filter or do it with caution. The signs have changed for some reason. I don't care that the motorcyclists filter, it is the revving of their engine to get me to make space for them. I have even gotten a couple riders to signal me to move over after they pass... I am in an F350 work truck that doesn't leave much lane to spare. The lane between my bumpers and between the lines is mine, if there is room, have at it. Otherwise, suck it.

It isn't often and I usually get a thumbs up or a wave since I make space as much as possible.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Filtering is literally the equivalent of wearing a swastika t-shirt and screaming "don't you know it's a piece symbol!" or zipper merging and yelling about improving the flow of traffic.

Except...not really. Did somebody scratch your car when they filtered past you or do you just take things personally when you shouldn't?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tarantula posted:

Except...not really. Did somebody scratch your car when they filtered past you or do you just take things personally when you shouldn't?

Someone actually did that to my brother's rx-8 on a harley or goldwing or something.
I'm pretty pro-filtering, but when your bike is nearly as wide as my sub-compact, maybe you should be more careful.
Oh and he absolutely hit and ran like the cowardly wanna be bad rear end accountant he is.
It left a massive scar over multiple body panels. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Those two things aren't equivalent :)

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlmKcKer2kI

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

B4Ctom1 posted:

She told me that the fuel light came on, on the way home. So I grabbed one of the massive gas cans I keep on hand for just such occasion...

Maybe I should invest in one of those folding gas cans right?

I don't think that's your problem. I think you need to teach her to look at the gas gauge more often, instead of waiting for the idiot light to tell her she's almost out.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There was a heavy downpour of rain this morning, skies were dark gray and the rain was difficult to see in if you were moving faster than 30 mph.

Of course there was a dark gray Mazda SUV driving without its lights on. Why would you bother, it's perfect camouflage and you look exactly like outside!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I don't think that's your problem. I think you need to teach her to look at the gas gauge more often, instead of waiting for the idiot light to tell her she's almost out.

I drive my wife nuts with this. I know the capacity of my gas tank, and get real time updates on my MPG, so when that last tick mark starts flashing I know pretty closely how many miles I got left in the tank. I usually shave off 20% of that value to make sure I got some leeway, and just make sure I hit a gas station before I get to that point.

But she's all "OH GOD IT'S EMPTY WE GOTTA STOP NOW" while I'm all "eh I don't want to be late, I'll do it on our way home."

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

xzzy posted:

I drive my wife nuts with this. I know the capacity of my gas tank, and get real time updates on my MPG, so when that last tick mark starts flashing I know pretty closely how many miles I got left in the tank. I usually shave off 20% of that value to make sure I got some leeway, and just make sure I hit a gas station before I get to that point.

But she's all "OH GOD IT'S EMPTY WE GOTTA STOP NOW" while I'm all "eh I don't want to be late, I'll do it on our way home."

Yeah, but you're thinking about it in advance. That's a bit different than just "Oh the light came on, better get out the emergency gas can because I couldn't be bothered to check before I left the last area with fuel for 30 miles (60 round trip)", which is the way his post sounds.

Right now, my gas gauge is on the E, but it's got 30 miles still showing and I live a mile from a gas station. If I still lived in the boondocks where I grew up, I'd probably refill it any time I saw it hit 1/4 tank. All it takes is a glance at the gas gauge like, once every few hours.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Two lanes turning left, two going straight. My dads behind the first guy on the left straight line, straight light goes green turning is still red, so the guy in front of my dad turns his left turn signal on and just sits there. Blocking rush hour in Erie, PA.

It gets posted so much but its this except instead of driving in front of everyone he blocked everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnkDPj2Wl4

Just drive straight for 5 seconds, make the next left. Do you really think your time is more valuable than the 20+ cars behind you?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, they really do.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cage posted:

Do you really think your time is more valuable than the 20+ cars behind you?

Yes, they do, unequivocally and without a hint of remorse.

e: If we're posting Louis CK driving bits, this one's dead-on and plays devil's advocate to the previous one somewhat. I've even caught myself wishing the worst slow, painful deaths on "that fucker" who just shoves his car through everyone's life. What the hell causes that? I'm genuinely curious, I don't wish arrest and financial ruin on someone weaving through foot traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 23, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Intersection I use on my way home from work every night doesn't have a dedicated right turn lane, but 90% of the cars driving through there want to turn right. There's always that 10% rear end in a top hat going straight that backs everyone up. I mean they're not technically doing anything wrong, but 5 seconds of thinking about the situation would have them stay in the left lane and make the life of everyone around them a little bit easier.

The worst is this one rear end in a top hat that sat at the front of the line waiting to go straight, cross traffic was completely dead for ~15 seconds so people could have been turning right. Light changes green and suddenly he's all "oh wait I want to turn here!" and flips on his blinker and turns right. :fuckoff:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bogatyr posted:

The only time filtering gets my ire up is on the 91 through Corona Ca. Especially now that the area is a dickered with construction, the lanes are narrowed and there are signs that say either not to filter or do it with caution. The signs have changed for some reason. I don't care that the motorcyclists filter, it is the revving of their engine to get me to make space for them. I have even gotten a couple riders to signal me to move over after they pass... I am in an F350 work truck that doesn't leave much lane to spare. The lane between my bumpers and between the lines is mine, if there is room, have at it. Otherwise, suck it.

It isn't often and I usually get a thumbs up or a wave since I make space as much as possible.

The 91 is the worst road I've ever driven on. Holy poo poo. Not just the construction, or the lovely broken down vehicles that overheat trying to climb the slight incline, but for some reason the leftmost lanes seem to end and merge right while they add a lane on the right side which ends up becoming exit only a few miles later. Then you have the 55, 57, 241, and 71 all feeding into it. It's just hosed. They should put another freeway through Chino (if anyone can stand the smell of the feed lots), and just blast another road through the mountains connecting Orange County to the 15.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My understanding is that OCs contract with the 91 toll lanes prohibits them from building new lanes or a new freeway. Which is hilarious and horrible.
The 91 is miserable on weekends, I couldn't fathom it during rush hour.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

xzzy posted:

Intersection I use on my way home from work every night doesn't have a dedicated right turn lane, but 90% of the cars driving through there want to turn right. There's always that 10% rear end in a top hat going straight that backs everyone up. I mean they're not technically doing anything wrong, but 5 seconds of thinking about the situation would have them stay in the left lane and make the life of everyone around them a little bit easier.

Opposite one here. There's a left-or-straight lane, a straight lane, and a right lane. The cross street backs up on the left so you can't safely turn onto it, so one of two things happens: either the left-turning car just sits there at a green light blocking the entire left lane, or they pull into the intersection and are now sitting there blocking both streets waiting for the cross street to unclog. They really need to make it no left turn already.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
What's the standard protocol when you see a car with a flat tire driving on a 2 lane curvy road (so you can't pull up beside them and signal to them).

I couldn't pull up beside them, and they sure as hell weren't stopping. With no red lights, the best I could do was wave at them wildly and honk my horn. They kept on going until they went straight and I had to turn right.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh my way to lunch, some guy crossed a double yellow going east to pass an old guy in a Buick going kind of slow (as in, speed limit) where I dropped the pin. You come off a hill so there's no way he didn't see the two lanes open up, either.

https://goo.gl/maps/eNofT7r2NGp

Kicker is that this road turns into a two-lane road immediately past that (around the driveway in the center) and he ended up stopped at the red light, anyway (Cabaret Drive).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
More in the spirit of the original direction this thread took than bad drivers, but goddamn. I really try sometimes and I don't know why.

(I gave up, he can loving walk to the store for a water pump for all I care)

laredo is not a jeep model and "4x4" isn't either. Jesus tap dancing christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should ask him if it's bigger than a breadbox.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

"Ok, go to the back of your car. It's the bit with the tailpipe. A tailpipe is a small metal tube that smells funny when the car is running. Read all of the words on the b-....take a picture of all of the words on the back and send it to me."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress that I'm done, some people can't be helped. I can't wait for his inevitable "halp halp halp i install water pump an now it overheats within minutes!!!" thread, which will be answered by hundreds of facebook mechanics who insist it's a bad ECU, head gasket, and/or to carb swap it and take out the thermostat.

*popcorn*

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

More in the spirit of the original direction this thread took than bad drivers, but goddamn. I really try sometimes and I don't know why.

This is why I got out of the shadetree business. If you're so goddamn clueless about what you spent thousands of dollars on that you can't tell me the minimum amount of information I need to know to fix your shitbox, gently caress you and the horse you rode in on you don't deserve your job and I hope you get fired. What's even better is when they rattle off the year/make/model/trim/engine/etc. without a hitch, and when you get there you find out their piece of poo poo is a rebadge with a completely different motor. Kicker: They're the moron that put M5 badges on their 525i. Congratulations, retard, your cooling system job just got doubly expensive since the junkyard doesn't do returns. Oh, you don't want to pay me now because the price changed? Good luck at the Euro specialty shop, don't call me when you need a ride to work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wasn't ever going to put it in for him, which it turns out is what he wanted. Fucker, why'd you post looking for a water pump if you wanted water pump installation?

I don't do mechanics poo poo for anyone anymore unless it's someone I'd take a bullet for. And even then, maybe not. I got burned the gently caress out middle of last year and said never again. Somehow I've had a lot more energy to work on my own crapcans since then... a lot more time, too.

His profile pic is one of his kids. It's too late, darwinism has failed. Glass the planet or turn the clock back a few hundred years, gently caress.

(this angry rant brought to you by idiots on facebook and my morning commute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

Part of me hopes his mechanic burns him so good and hard that he eventually swears off Jeep ownership and drives something that's fitting for dimwits like him. Like a 2005 Cobalt.