Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Picked up the Conflict of Heroes Solo expansion, and I must say, these rules look super tight. I'm excited to try them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

The General posted:

Picked up the Conflict of Heroes Solo expansion, and I must say, these rules look super tight. I'm excited to try them out.

I assume the expansion works with all the individual campaigns?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

I can only hope that in a couple of years people will be complaining about them publishing too many 18xx games.

If they got 1817 that would be rad as gently caress

Yeah my Falling Sky/Cuba Libre got here today too \o/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my Falling Skye/ Cuba Libre today too.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm very envious of all of you, still waiting on my Falling Sky to arrive and I'm looking forward to seeing how well the solitaire works.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i should have ordered cuba libre but i genuinely didnt believe they would ever actually send it out

The General
Mar 4, 2007

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I assume the expansion works with all the individual campaigns?

I'm not sure if it would be super balanced. And you'd have to give the AI a couple of things. The solo missions with the expansion also have a time track which is different than the turn track.
There's another expansion for designing scenarios on the fly, and it says it works well with that (I don't have that expansion).

I also think you could work the cards into a lot of simular scale wargames to give yourself direction when playing solo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Boardgameguru has Cuba Libre and Falling Sky available for pre-order for UK goons. Cuba Libre expected early-June, Falling Sky mid-June.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MikeCrotch posted:

Boardgameguru has Cuba Libre and Falling Sky available for pre-order for UK goons. Cuba Libre expected early-June, Falling Sky mid-June.
I would have preordered falling sky but I think there might be copies at the UK Games Expo and since I'm going I'm gonna wait until then.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

I would have preordered falling sky but I think there might be copies at the UK Games Expo and since I'm going I'm gonna wait until then.

The Boardgameguru website specifically says there won't be copies for the Expo but I don't know if that is that they won't have copies or no-one will have copies.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The Boardgameguru website specifically says there won't be copies for the Expo but I don't know if that is that they won't have copies or no-one will have copies.
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering as well, which is why I don't want to risk it.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Got my copy of Zones of control

Downside: does not smell like a new game, I wonder if all of china smells like new games hmmm.

Upside: 770 pages of designers notes :getin:

edit: "Goal-Driven Design and Napoleon's Triumph"

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 18, 2016

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

4outof5 posted:

Got my copy of Zones of control

Downside: does not smell like a new game, I wonder if all of china smells like new games hmmm.

Upside: 770 pages of designers notes :getin:

edit: "Goal-Driven Design and Napoleon's Triumph"

Yeah I got a copy of that too, right after it came out. Pretty good so far.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I really kinda want that book.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm going to play a solo game of Fire in the Lake and I was wondering what the best method is. Do I play two factions like the book says? Or just play one faction vs 3 bots? Or go the whole hog and play all four myself? And if I play one or two factions vs bots, what's the best choice for solo play?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Received my copy of Cuba Libre recently (last week Friday)--it's an abstract enough "wargame" that my wife even likes it, so that's pretty rad.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 20, 2016

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bullbar posted:

I'm going to play a solo game of Fire in the Lake and I was wondering what the best method is. Do I play two factions like the book says? Or just play one faction vs 3 bots? Or go the whole hog and play all four myself? And if I play one or two factions vs bots, what's the best choice for solo play?

I'd say play all 4 yourself. The bot language is a special kind of torture that really requires learning inside and out before it can be executed effectively, and even then you're basically left with the same choices you'd make if you played all the factions, but with a slight amount of variance as to the locations ops are executed.

Read the playbook single player stuff, study the NP flow charts, and decide whether that extra layer of wrinkles is worth it. I feel that trying to play optimally as each faction is interesting enough, but maybe it's not for you. Or you could go half way, using the flowchart for suggestion as to what a faction would do, but carry out the granularity yourself without a chain of booleans.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think it's just as fun to play all the factions myself. I vastly prefer that over using the AI charts.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Tek, you free this weekend or Bank Holiday weekend?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

Tek, you free this weekend or Bank Holiday weekend?
Not free this weekend. I am free Bank Holiday weekend.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally got around to preordering Falling Sky (did it from Miniature Market since they had the best price)

Better late than never :unsmith:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

COOL CORN posted:

Finally got around to preordering Falling Sky (did it from Miniature Market since they had the best price)

Better late than never :unsmith:

If any of y'all want to do a Skype/PBEM sometime, let me know. Gonna run through it a bit solitaire this weekend, but I'd like to try it out with real people too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also I just got Der Weltkrieg: The Western Front (w/ Schlieffen Plan) in the mail. I knew this was a beast of a game, but ~1600 counters for a standard 22"x34" map is ... ridiculous.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Also I just got Der Weltkrieg: The Western Front (w/ Schlieffen Plan) in the mail. I knew this was a beast of a game, but ~1600 counters for a standard 22"x34" map is ... ridiculous.

Welcome to the SPW club. Only three more fronts to go!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Athaboros posted:

If any of y'all want to do a Skype/PBEM sometime, let me know. Gonna run through it a bit solitaire this weekend, but I'd like to try it out with real people too.

my bro have you heard of VASSAL

Also #boardgoons in the MIRC chat has a sign up for COIN gaming. I don't know how often it's used but get yourself up on that if you want to get some games in.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Impermanent posted:

my bro have you heard of VASSAL

Also #boardgoons in the MIRC chat has a sign up for COIN gaming. I don't know how often it's used but get yourself up on that if you want to get some games in.

Haha I know, I figured VASSAL was assumed. Just wanted to get a shout-out in the thread since I suspect there are folks here who aren't in the IRC (and I forget to check it too, though I am on the spreadsheet).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

That looks goddamn fantastic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

"A look into the mind of a WW1 General"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

More like the Welpkrieg.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Apparently there's a Warring States period CDG being developed by Mark Herman!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Will it be the third in his "debate" series? The Greek follow-up to Churchill looks pretty cool so far.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Not sure, sounds like another straight CDG to me.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

After all this waiting, I now have Cuba Libre and Falling Sky sitting here, but I'm moving and will have no time for board games for another week. Cruel fate.

Has anyone here actually played Falling Sky yet?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Now I see why Der Weltkrieg has so many counters on such a small map.

First turn, Germans attack into Liège. They attack with 30 strength points. There's 8 SP worth of units in Liège, and a 36SP fortress.
Germans roll a 5, killing off 5 SPs of the Belgians. Belgians roll a 6, which kills 27 SPs of the Germans... because all counterattacking forces are tripled. The Belgians attacked back with 132 strength points.

Jesus. :shepicide:
Luckily my artillery will be adjacent to Liège in another turn or two.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Woah that's high casualties doesn't that seem excess....

*finds out that Der Weltkreig is WWI*

*nods*

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to Belgium, Hans

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm pretty sure that's how things actually went, the Germans went in with infantry and basically ran into a meat grinder, before the famous Guns of August showed up a few days later.

But still, I'm used to blitzkrieging!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Germany got all upset because the Belgians wouldn't be nice, understanding guys and let the German army violate their sovereignty to march on through to France. Instead, the Belgian population resisted and slowed them down. Germany responded with massacres of entire towns. Not so much as a reaction to being constantly sniped at, but out of frustration because their precious Schlieffen timetables were being hosed with. They were really anal about that goddamned Plan, which I guess is understandable after 20+ years of Schlieffen indocrination being drilled in their heads, but the bizarre thing is them just tossing it out the window a week or two later and pretty much losing the war at the end of August 2014 because of it.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
a new hot take on the 100 year war