Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

Maybe word of mouth is not a thing that asian markets are completely exempt from?

They don't have to pay attention to american reviews if the chinese people who go to the movie are telling their chinese friends that it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I remember heart breaking news about the Avengers getting terribly translated subtitles ruining the movie and making some people in the audience cry

I would be one of those people if I lived in China

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

That doesn't make any sense, China doesn't give a poo poo about critic reviews.

The Chinese love Titanic, Celine Dion, and the Backstreet Boys more than anything else in the world. They don't just have bad taste, they've perfected bad taste.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chickenwalker posted:

The Chinese love Titanic, Celine Dion, and the Backstreet Boys more than anything else in the world. They don't just have bad taste, they've perfected bad taste.

uhh but I've heard they love white people?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Toxxupation posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

I don't know about China but here in Korea no one gives a poo poo about any of the DC properties. Anytime superheroes come up it's Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Spidey, or Taekwon V.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I don't know about China but here in Korea no one gives a poo poo about any of the DC properties. Anytime superheroes come up it's Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Spidey, or Taekwon V.

It may not be in Taiwan (though that would be surprising) but Batman is by a significant degree one of the most valuable superhero properties worldwide and has proven a strong demographic seller in every market. Other DC heroes ain't as popular but as long as they have Batman you can't really say nobody cares.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

Maybe word of mouth is not a thing that asian markets are completely exempt from?

They don't have to pay attention to american reviews if the chinese people who go to the movie are telling their chinese friends that it's bad.

That's my point. The reviews affected word of mouth and as a result box office sales.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

It may not be in Taiwan (though that would be surprising) but Batman is by a significant degree one of the most valuable superhero properties worldwide and has proven a strong demographic seller in every market. Other DC heroes ain't as popular but as long as they have Batman you can't really say nobody cares.

This is basically DC movies the world over. I think if WW is the first really successful non-Batman movie for WB and DC, it's going to send the execs into panic because the idea of a woman lead action movie being a huge hit, that defies all logic!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

This is basically DC movies the world over. I think if WW is the first really successful non-Batman movie for WB and DC, it's going to send the execs into panic because the idea of a woman lead action movie being a huge hit, that defies all logic!

I can already hear parts of their conference call "But Catwoman failed!!! How did this succeed?!?!?! Quick copy everything about it" *copies all the superficial stuff*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Wonder Woman is pretty unlikely to be more successful than MoS or BvS. It'd be amazing if it was but it's just extremely unlikely. It doing very well for what it is is entirely possible and if it does as well as BvS then that'll be mindblowing. It's worth remembering that BvS was by no means a failure, just nowhere as big a success as they clearly hoped.

Civil War doing better however is probably the cause of the Geoff Johnsing of the film department. An era where "Iron Man vs Captain America" is a much, much, much larger seller than "Batman vs Superman" would have been completely unthinkable even a few years ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

Wonder Woman is pretty unlikely to be more successful than MoS or BvS. It'd be amazing if it was but it's just extremely unlikely. It doing very well for what it is is entirely possible and if it does as well as BvS then that'll be mindblowing.
WW being the best of the Justice League prelude flicks is pretty much a given. Unless maybe they can push out a Battfleck joint in the next 2 years.

I can see them putting characters in War settings as a reaction: Coming in 2019, Power Girl & Batwoman in Vietnam The Korean War The American Revolution... where they form a Justice Society of sorts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

WW being the best of the Justice League prelude flicks is pretty much a given. Unless maybe they can push out a Battfleck joint in the next 2 years.

I can see them putting characters in War settings as a reaction: Coming in 2019, Power Girl & Batwoman in Vietnam The Korean War The American Revolution... where they form a Justice Society of sorts.

Suicide Squad has potential in that it's got some big names in it (Will Smith for one), and is effectively a Batman spinoff featuring The Joker, Harley Quinn and a cameo from Batman. I'm not saying it's a sure thing but I could see Suicide Squad doing well if it hits the right tone and atmosphere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

Suicide Squad has potential in that it's got some big names in it
True, but SS is off doing its own thing, tangental to the Big Serious Stuff happening after BvS.

It's like their weird little Incredible Hulk flick. They'll no doubt scramble to integrate them into JL if it does gangbusters. If it underperforms then it'll be in its own little bubble.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really hope it does good (although I'm not gonna support it because jared Leto is a gross garbage person), but I'm already kinda nervous due to the fact that the movie desperately went into reshoots when the trailer got such a positive reaction that we're gonna end up with some shambling atonal mess of a film that feels less than the sum of its parts in exactly the same way BvS was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it didn't.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

I really hope it does good (although I'm not gonna support it because jared Leto is a gross garbage person), but I'm already kinda nervous due to the fact that the movie desperately went into reshoots when the trailer got such a positive reaction that we're gonna end up with some shambling atonal mess of a film that feels less than the sum of its parts in exactly the same way BvS was.

According to one of the actors, all the reshoots were for more action scenes, which actually sounds way worse than if they were just trying to make the movie funnier. :/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

Wonder Woman is pretty unlikely to be more successful than MoS or BvS. It'd be amazing if it was but it's just extremely unlikely. It doing very well for what it is is entirely possible and if it does as well as BvS then that'll be mindblowing. It's worth remembering that BvS was by no means a failure, just nowhere as big a success as they clearly hoped.

Civil War doing better however is probably the cause of the Geoff Johnsing of the film department. An era where "Iron Man vs Captain America" is a much, much, much larger seller than "Batman vs Superman" would have been completely unthinkable even a few years ago.

It doesn't have to make more money necessarily, but if it becomes a fan and critically successful movie, but then Deadpool was all 3. Anyways, I just want the old timey thinking execs at WB to realize that the world isn't as separated as it once was between boys stuff and girls stuff. Actually, isn't that also Pearlmutters problem? He used to be the president of Toybiz or something and still things that there are boy toys and girl toys, and that thinking infects everything he over sees?

I know some people who worked on SS and they told me they had to send copies of all their reference materials for the sets that the finale and some other key action sequences took place in, so I gathered from that they needed some big impressive stuff to add in.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jamesman posted:

According to one of the actors, all the reshoots were for more action scenes, which actually sounds way worse than if they were just trying to make the movie funnier. :/

From what I read it was stuff they had planned in advance because of timing issues with some of the actors, and the studio let Ayer do some stuff that he had wanted but he wasn't originally able to do.

Movie set rumors though, so :shrug:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

This is, uh, pretty solid casual racism.

It's very possible that the Chinese audience also didn't find the movie very compelling, seeing as they are people who are capable of having opinions about things?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

seeing as they are people who are capable of having opinions about things?

Who's having opinions? Give me their name.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't think Wonder Woman is going to do well, BvS was a flaming meteor of anti-hype and one of those movies that despite making money is still going to go down as a flop. It has primed the public against the DCCU on two fronts people think it's either going to be more of the same which means they are going to skip it or that BvS flopping and the shift in executives will trigger a reboot and the movie won't matter so they'll skip it. Normally all this studio stuff flies under the general audience's radar but BvS flopping has made it actual news, news that'll pop back up when Wonder Woman gets close to release.

Suicide Squad might hit but it'll be riding Deadpool's coattails to any success.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

theflyingorc posted:

This is, uh, pretty solid casual racism.

It's very possible that the Chinese audience also didn't find the movie very compelling, seeing as they are people who are capable of having opinions about things?

The Chinese have evolved a love of superheroes to combat their native predators, the Mongols.

Where did you even get your degree?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Wonder Woman is going to do well, BvS was a flaming meteor of anti-hype and one of those movies that despite making money is still going to go down as a flop. It has primed the public against the DCCU on two fronts people think it's either going to be more of the same which means they are going to skip it or that BvS flopping and the shift in executives will trigger a reboot and the movie won't matter so they'll skip it. Normally all this studio stuff flies under the general audience's radar but BvS flopping has made it actual news, news that'll pop back up when Wonder Woman gets close to release.

Suicide Squad might hit but it'll be riding Deadpool's coattails to any success.

Even people who hated the movie had a lot of great things to say about Wonder Woman though. I think she's got pretty good buzz going at the moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People look at reviews, they don't just assume it's going to be the same.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

People look at reviews, they don't just assume it's going to be the same.

This and the two things I've heard, pretty much unanimously except on SA, is that everyone's excited for WW and Batfleck. Even people I know that complained about WW being forced into BvS said her combat stuff was dope and would go see her movie.

e: I'm a BvS fan, I'm excited for the current DCCU and talking with non-comic book fans or internet posters, my general excitement might influence their responses though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can easily imagine there is a lot of interest in WW, considering there isn't really anything like an action fronted super heroine movie out there. Sort of how retroactively you can see how badly people were looking for a satirical R rated romp before Deadpool.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SirDan3k posted:

If it's good they'll see it. Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had anyone see it if it had been terrible, but strong buzz made it do well.

And the negative news about BvS really, really overstated its case. The movie wasn't what the studio hoped, but I've seen worse movies.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Where did you even get your degree?
China University

edit: If Suicide Squad sucks I think that will actually make people start to notice "DCCU BAD", but I think they'd need a run of 4 bad ones or so to tank the entire effort.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It seems like comic book movies are much more dependant on word of mouth than any other movie (well, other than indies). Children movies are basically critic proof.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Children movies are basically critic proof.
That's because the marketing pitch for children's movies isn't "this is good" it's "your children will not bother you for 90 minutes"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

theflyingorc posted:

If it's good they'll see it. Guardians of the Galaxy wouldn't have had anyone see it if it had been terrible, but strong buzz made it do well.

And the negative news about BvS really, really overstated its case. The movie wasn't what the studio hoped, but I've seen worse movies.

China University

edit: If Suicide Squad sucks I think that will actually make people start to notice "DCCU BAD", but I think they'd need a run of 4 bad ones or so to tank the entire effort.

Suicide Squad would make three in a row, which would also be 100% of the films in the shared universe.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

Suicide Squad would make three in a row, which would also be 100% of the films in the shared universe.

There was such a long gap between Man of Steel and BvS that I don't think people will really count it.

And though a lot of people hate it, it's reputation wasn't "A BAD MOVIE EVERYONE HATES" like BvS has.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

And though a lot of people hate it, it's reputation wasn't "A BAD MOVIE EVERYONE HATES" like BvS has.

I don't even think BvS has that reputation among average viewers.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MacheteZombie posted:

It's negative reception was really, really well publicized, but it is definitely difficult to tell how things are viewed outside the nerd bubble.

My favorite example of this is that we all KNOW that everyone agrees that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a complete garbage movie that everyone hated, right? 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, average score 6.9

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

It absolutely does. It's hated as a piece of poo poo amongst literally everyone besides diehard DC fans, because everyone else considers it a dark depressing ugly boring overlong mess. I mean, to be fair, it's a dark depressing ugly boring overlong mess, but even beyond that guess what - the average, moviewatching audience member goes to a superhero movie to watch good guys win and bad guys get punched, not whatever the gently caress BvS ended up being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

BvS's cinemascore and general reception is a lot poorer than MoS. However I don't think it's hatred. I think, more damningly, it's apathy. People didn't hate BvS because hatred tends to involve a lot more investment. The actual outcome seems to be that it was a night out that people had and quickly forgot about. It's not even the butt of jokes or ongoing conversations about how wrong everyone was the was MoS was. People couldn't shut up about Superman destroying buildings but Batman gunning people down has pretty quickly faded.

Some people really hated MoS but in the long run that's better. Hatred makes people want to know why you hate it. "Eh, it was okay I guess?" doesn't.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It's negative reception was really, really well publicized, but it is definitely difficult to tell how things are viewed outside the nerd bubble.

My favorite example of this is that we all KNOW that everyone agrees that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a complete garbage movie that everyone hated, right? 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, average score 6.9

Anecdote ain't data, but every non comic book familiar person I've talked to has either said "it was alright" or "a bit darker than other superhero movies but wasn't the worst thing i saw" type stuff. I agree on it being hard to gauge though.

Toxxupation posted:

It absolutely does. It's hated as a piece of poo poo amongst literally everyone besides diehard DC fans, because everyone else considers it a dark depressing ugly boring mess. I mean, to be fair, it's a dark depressing ugly boring mess, but guess what - the average, non-hardcore comic book fan goes to a superhero movie to watch good guys win and bad guys get punched, not whatever the gently caress BvS ended up being.

lol okay dude

e:

ImpAtom posted:

BvS's cinemascore and general reception is a lot poorer than MoS. However I don't think it's hatred. I think, more damningly, it's apathy. People didn't hate BvS because hatred tends to involve a lot more investment. The actual outcome seems to be that it was a night out that people had and quickly forgot about. It's not even the butt of jokes or ongoing conversations about how wrong everyone was the was MoS was. People couldn't shut up about Superman destroying buildings but Batman gunning people down has pretty quickly faded.

Some people really hated MoS but in the long run that's better. Hatred makes people want to know why you hate it. "Eh, it was okay I guess?" doesn't.

That's a totally fair assessment.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Toxxupation posted:

It absolutely does. It's hated as a piece of poo poo amongst literally everyone besides diehard DC fans, because everyone else considers it a dark depressing ugly boring mess. I mean, to be fair, it's a dark depressing ugly boring mess, but guess what - the average, non-hardcore comic book fan goes to a superhero movie to watch good guys win and bad guys get punched, not whatever the gently caress BvS ended up being.

I actually kinda liked it, but it did a lot of stuff very poorly, and I would like control to be taken from Snyder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I actually kinda liked it, but it did a lot of stuff very poorly, and I would like control to be taken from Snyder.

The script and editing are the biggest issues with the movie, both things not entirely in Snyder's control.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Everything I've seen has been genuine antipathy, especially in direct comparison to CW (where there's people to "root for"), general consensus isn't aware that this has been DC's shtick for over a decade now and doesn't get why Batman and Superman are such miserable petty assholes.

The double-edged sword of DC is that their legacy is so steadfast and their big two are so iconic that it offends people, like makes them angry, when they're portrayed "wrong". People are really invested in Superman and Batman, and a movie like BvS that reduces Superman to a whiny loser and Batman to TDKR version of him gets people angry, because that's not anything like the Superman they "know".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

MacheteZombie posted:

The script and editing are the biggest issues with the movie, both things not entirely in Snyder's control.

The director may not be the ultimate authority on all things editing, but there's a reason "Director's cut" is a thing.

• Locked thread