Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

I've lost track of the number of times I've had to explain to my students things like "you can't open that zipped file directly in solidworks, you have to extract it first and open the contents"

or "you uploaded the ._filename.stl invisible empty file, not the actual data, so we can't print this"

I don't have high hopes for their handling of cloud vs local data

well, yes, but assuming we accept the resurgence of network computing then the blame lies with the software forcing you to handle those distinctions manually rather than simply abstracting it away

a user doesn't and probably shouldn't care if a file is zip, rar, arj, uharc, 7zip, mpeg, jpeg, gif, flac, ogg or otherwise compressed, they should just be able to open it in whatever application they're using because the os or the app itself handles the task of figuring out what to do with the data it's presented

likewise, having a "local" copy of a file shouldn't mean anything to a user. the file is simply available or it's not, if it's not something is broken and you need to get the smelly longhairs from the basement to do something about it. it's not your job to worry about that poo poo.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

understanding the difference between a local copy of a file and a reference to a remote version of a file is like basic computer literacy dude

and the assumption that cloud storage and local storage are always seamless and interchangeable is peculiarly first-world techno-elitist

It's not even true in the US outside of the office buildings with dedicated 24/7 lines that this stupid poo poo gets developed at. Nobody has that reliable of a connection. Wifi drops packets etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So long story short cloud files is Apples excuse for not supporting micro SD more than 10 years after the cheapest piece of poo poo feature phone supported it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are people, ostensibly in the same industry as me, selling clients in traditional professional services businesses (e.g. lawfirms, architects, lobbyists) on 100% google could hosted file storage now. the cloud is here and there are no shortage of idiots claiming what i said above

i find this endlessly amusing, as is their solution to the fact that fast reliable symmetrical internet isn't completely ubiquitous, is 3rd party middleware and an onsite caching server.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Larry Parrish posted:

So long story short cloud files is Apples excuse for not supporting micro SD more than 10 years after the cheapest piece of poo poo feature phone supported it

hmm yes because the tire fire that is android's sd card implementation is imitation worthy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

carry on then posted:

hmm yes because the tire fire that is android's sd card implementation is imitation worthy

I don't know if you noticed but lovely implementation of local storage expansion will always be better than lovely cloud support, due to latency

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

One guy got the joke at least :/

graph posted:

if youre going to use that word at least spell it right

Nah.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

dad is selling his 2006 MacBook Pro. he says that it is too slow. I think I will buy it and put an ssd in that fucker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and run linux on it? Is there an actively maintained osx that will install on a decade old macbook?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

infernal machines posted:

well that's the direction everyone is going, so idk, shake your cane at apple, microsoft, and google, old man

the user doesn't need to know where a file "is", they just need to access it in whatever context is convenient at the time.

I really want to track down the first guy who wrote an article about this and yell at him. I have a sneaking suspicion it was wired

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

and run linux on it? Is there an actively maintained osx that will install on a decade old macbook?

likely not, wife's 2006 macbook has a 32-bit core duo cpu and cant run os x newer than 10.6

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

likely not, wife's 2006 macbook has a 32-bit core duo cpu and cant run os x newer than 10.6

I think it can run 10.7 but why bother. Turn it in to a chomebook.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

el cap run on mine but it intel

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

NAND gate

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

dad is selling his 2006 MacBook Pro. he says that it is too slow. I think I will buy it and put an ssd in that fucker

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

dad is selling

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

dad sale

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

vr tech is gonna suck rear end until i can straight up have my brain inputs hijacked by my computer because theres no way im going to be able to afford a big rear end empty room to set up this goofy play area that has nothing in it except sensors and greenscreen

human trials in five years, consumer in 20

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
2006 was a good year, I was 19 and didn't depend on computers to do everything. had a bunch of sex over the summer when I was lifeguarding. just crushing pussy and smoking weed. hell yeah

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Lysidas posted:

cant run os x newer than 10.6

this is a blessing op

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

triple sulk posted:

material design is absurdly better than ios's design

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

abturdly

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Sagebrush posted:

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

:yaycloud:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

2006 was a good year, I was 19 and didn't depend on computers to do everything. had a bunch of sex over the summer when I was lifeguarding. just crushing pussy and smoking weed. hell yeah

I lived alone, about 20,000 miles from home when I was 19.

there were no lifeguards available to have sex with

i was still using an old ibook that someone was literally going to chuck in a skip

I was good.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I lived alone, about 20,000 miles from home

:crossarms:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

eric posted:

I think it can run 10.7 but why bother. Turn it in to a chomebook.

Too much effort.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/23/macbook-pro-2016-oled-display-touch-bar/

new macbook pro is going to have a little touchscreen strip instead of function keys. sounds extremely good and useful and not a desperate gimmick

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
When was the last time macrumors was right though

Probably when they predicted the blu-ray mac mini, or the touchscreen macbook, or maybe the multi buttoned macbook pro

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Lets see what happens when PC makers try to clone the trashcan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RsjFec-qU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIVutYE6vxc

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

One hour of some dude pulling a puter? No thanks

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dadbook slow. so what?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ssd in that fucker

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the solid state d

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
welp watch update I think just bricked my Apple Watch thanks Timb

edit: did a restart and force restart works now :)

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how could you tell?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the solid state d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope