Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

That... thing looked like the Flier or whatever from Demon's Crest

But a lot more horrifying.

That's what I was thinking! It's a neat design for an enemy, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Silegna posted:

Holy crap, someone else who played that game?! I thought I was the only one! Granted, it was tough as balls and I couldn't make it past the first level.

Are you kidding? The entire Gargoyles Quest is incredible.

I forget who it is but there's a games poster who has an animated avatar of Firebrand doing the gargoyle shuffle and it makes me grin like an idiot every. Single. Time.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009
Just remembered, any chance you could add links to the miniboss/boss music fights to your posts?

Some of the music in this game is a little iffy, but the boss fight music is pretty :krad:.

Fayrn fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 22, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fayrn posted:

Just remembered, any chance you could add links to the miniboss/boss music fights to your posts?

Some of the music in this game is a little iffy, but the boss fight music is pretty :krad:.

It absolutely is and my favorite is still the frantic boss music. The main issue is that all my videos have bleeps and bloops on top of them from playing the game and I'm also terribly lazy. The "in town" music is still incredibly catchy though and right up there with SaGa's stair theme ehn ehn ehn, doot doot doo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That sort of design is really common, I have vague memories of multiples of them in various JRPGs and platformers.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

It absolutely is and my favorite is still the frantic boss music. The main issue is that all my videos have bleeps and bloops on top of them from playing the game and I'm also terribly lazy. The "in town" music is still incredibly catchy though and right up there with SaGa's stair theme ehn ehn ehn, doot doot doo

I definitely agree, FFL1&2 music is a fantastic nostalgia trip as well.

I guess you could just link to the relevant portion of the Paper Sorcerer OST on youtube.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fayrn posted:

I definitely agree, FFL1&2 music is a fantastic nostalgia trip as well.

I guess you could just link to the relevant portion of the Paper Sorcerer OST on youtube.

The soundtrack as a whole is pretty great, but yeah that boss music :krad:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hey, Chokes. Look at your private messages.

...For reasons definitely not related to the current discussion. Nope, no sirree.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, right. Unintelligent beasts are also an option, as long as you tell everybody to steer clear of the room where you've kept it.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Hoo hah! I've finally caught up. We've got another Chokes masterpiece on our hands...and that of course means the entirety of Chokes' life is forfeit to the LP Curse!

I've gotta say, what I've seen so far really makes me want to play. It's an interesting mesh of old RPG ideas put together in a not-so-sturdy-but-still-manageable package. Plus that art style is to die for.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Hoo hah! I've finally caught up. We've got another Chokes masterpiece on our hands...and that of course means the entirety of Chokes' life is forfeit to the LP Curse!

a power pole on our property is rotted and literally falling over in slow motion, no one can decide whether the power company or the parking lot next door is responsible, we're not even sure we own the strip of land it's on

you can't make this stuff up

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just don't play it on 1980s mode. The harder the levels the more of a grind it becomes and 1980s is a loving grind. Since the game's battle system is deliberately slow, it becomes agonizing. You can't just zone out and mash attack like you would in most other games. You don't even get an achievement for it, the ones for finishing the game are bugged to this day.
The good news is that status effects very much affect your enemies, so use them to make fights more manageable.

Also hey you're in B5 soon! Big choice soon! Will you let the goons vote on it? (I wouldn't but hey)

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Chokes McGee posted:

a power pole on our property is rotted and literally falling over in slow motion, no one can decide whether the power company or the parking lot next door is responsible, we're not even sure we own the strip of land it's on

I...what even is your life, Chokes?

SSNeoman posted:

Just don't play it on 1980s mode. The harder the levels the more of a grind it becomes and 1980s is a loving grind. Since the game's battle system is deliberately slow, it becomes agonizing. You can't just zone out and mash attack like you would in most other games. You don't even get an achievement for it, the ones for finishing the game are bugged to this day.
The good news is that status effects very much affect your enemies, so use them to make fights more manageable.

Son this ain't my first rodeo. I've beaten FFL2 with an all monster party, I can handle a little Paper Sorceror-ing. :colbert:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Chokes McGee posted:

Splash some acid or do some other untraceable form of damage to whichever side makes it fall away from your house, for the love of god. It'll still go down and you'll be out of power for awhile, but at least it's damage control.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yes, do that. Then both the power company and the parking lot next door can decide that you're responsible, and sue you.

More stellar life advice from the Let's Play subforum. :thumbsup:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Bravo posted:

Yes, do that. Then both the power company and the parking lot next door can decide that you're responsible, and sue you.

More stellar life advice from the Let's Play subforum. :thumbsup:

Well, that's why the goon said "untraceable". But yeah, that sounds like a horrible situation all around, Chokes. Best of luck to you. You've endured the Curse thus far.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Optionally exhaustively document the damage and likelihood of further damage, and that the power company and parking lot are dragging their feet on this, followed by openly hacking down the stupid thing yourself such that no one will get hurt.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thanks. It's actually leaning heavily away from the house so I expect it to somehow crash through my living room in the complete opposite direction like a Tex Avery cartoon.

Which is the last thing I need because my homeowners insurance hasn't been been real happy since the water pipes burst and they had to foot the bill

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Which is the last thing I need because my homeowners insurance hasn't been been real happy since the water pipes burst and they had to foot the bill

gently caress 'em, that's what insurance is for. If they're upset they should have done enough research to discover you're an LPer before they let you sign on.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Are you in good enough terms with your agent you can just call them and give them notice about the situation? I'm sure they'd rather get their lawyers to write some letters to get the power company to be more proactive about this, rather than having to pay another huge claim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Another idea, contact a reporter. They love "company giving the runaround leaving a danger to the public" local stories.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Another idea, contact a reporter. They love "company giving the runaround leaving a danger to the public" local stories.

That was actually our next stop after city government. Supposedly they're fixing it now, and we've seen evidence a guy's working on it, but the vague "by end of week" has me worried.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

gently caress 'em, that's what insurance is for. If they're upset they should have done enough research to discover you're an LPer before they let you sign on.

I don't think they actually give a poo poo, but I remember the hilarious story of them sending claims inspectors out because they thought our plumbers were inflating the bill by running pipes through the walls instead of under the house. They were complete assholes about it until our plumber showed them our crawlspace to prove literally no human being could fit under there.

We got a very curt "You'll get the money soon" and no other questions were ever asked. Check showed up the next week.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sup thread! The power pole has been fixed and (in theory) no longer in danger of crushing me or my loved ones. Also, update will be dropping in the next couple of days, so stay tuned. If you're a fan of our guys running around and screaming in panic, boy howdy, is this the update for you!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm glad to hear this! Looking forward to everyone dying horribly!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

vorebane posted:

I'm glad to hear this! Looking forward to everyone dying horribly!

This, but explicitly within the realms of the LP.

Please don't die horribly, Chokes. :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Canto IV, Stanza 4: That Voodoo That You Do

These plazas are pretty! If I ever get to be a boss, I'm hanging out in places like this.

You're going into business for yourself? After all I've done for you?

What, like drag me into a magic book filled with ten thousand bored ex-cons chomping at the bit to kill us and not having any real escape plan?

Sounds like a "yes" to me!

You shut your fanghole.

:shivdurf: Barring your path in front of you is a large grim warrior.

...so why's everybody staring at each other?

Beats me.

He started it!

This is Berias the Hex Knight, boss of Cell Block 4. If you like hexes and knights, then boy howdy, this is the fight for you! For the rest of us who aren't dangerously insane, this is gonna get obnoxious pretty drat quick.

Let's try not getting an axe stuck in my head this time.

Vlad? Willow?

Can't hit what you can't see. :smug:

Uh :shepface:

:ssj:

F...frank? A little help here?!

Yeah, yeah.

That ain't good.

For Berias' first action, he will immediately increase all of his stats by upwards of 150%. So, uh, welcome to the fight. You'll also notice Bone Breaker didn't work because ~reasons~. The RNG in this game is a bit on the wonky side, but I have noticed certain skills don't do very well against specific bosses and others are like hucking Metal Gears at Bubble Man. I may or may not be talking about the actual walking nuclear tank. There's just no way to know.

As you can imagine, you do not want a boss with massively inflated stats hitting you with a special attack.

*healthy step backwards*

owie

Which, naturally, is the first thing Berias does. The good news is, he doesn't have a group attack. With no less than three healers on the team and ridiculous Defense ratings all around, we should be able to keep up pretty well.

Nobody laterally bisects me! Eat hellfire, bitch!

*fizzle*

...well that's embarassing.

Woah! You could do that this entire time?!

Shut the gently caress up or the next one goes into you

As always, Vlad will take point as fighter and help us crack Berias' armor. Frank will contribute with his usual cycle of Defender, Charging Strike, etc.

Surprisingly, Arcane Backlash is so-so against Berias. It's just as well. That's Energy we could be using for Defender, Restore Defense, and Gift of Life.

Weren't we the ones that were supposed to be dodging more?

Probably doesn't need eyes to fight. In fact, I'm not even sure he could see in the first place.

Or at least not through that helmet...

Seriously. And look at those fake horns!

How do you know they're fake?

Trust me, I know horns like the back of my... uh... horns. The dude's a poser.

Uhhhhh... Chief? :ohdear:

Probably went out and bought horns because he liked the :airquote: aesthetics :airquote:. loving Nyarlothep, you wander into a Ye Hotte Discourfe and blow 35 gold, and you think that makes you a—

AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY FACE IS MELTING

oh god the taste in my mouth, it's like dead trees and shame

I HAVE ANTS CRAWLING OUT OF MY EYES! MY EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Ugh, athelete's foot.

This is Berias' gimmick. I mean, they don't call him a Hex Knight for nothing! That'd be false advertising. There's some levels even evil won't sink to.

Fortunately, Curse of the Nine Dragons isn't something insane like Malboro Bad Breath, where you literally take every status ailment in the game. That's extra good because Willow's two restorative spells are split between what kind of ailments they remove. What you do end up with, though, is Slow, Defense Down, Magic Down, and Strength Down. To my knowledge, there are no ways to counteract these statuses except to cast some buffs of your own and soldier through. This, obviously, will not be the last time we see Hex of the Nine Dragons this fight, and it makes the whole thing way more of a chore than it should be.

How are we supposed to beat him if we can't even hit him?

Well, at least we can stay healed until it wears off. It could be worse!

How could this possibly be any worse?!

You had to ask, didn't you.

Fortunately, the Hex only lasts 2-3 turns or so, and they'll start dropping off in random orders. Thus, our sorceror quickly springs free...

gently caress your fake-rear end horns, you gently caress

...and even debuffed, there's not much to be done against a rampaging vampire with a high-tier sword and Inhuman Strike.

Bro, if you keep this up, I may stop giving you poo poo for a good ten minutes.

*huff puff*

Maybe even 15!

GLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG

You realize he's coming after you next.

Aw, I'm just giving him motivation. He's at his best when he's amped up.

I WILL CUT OFF YOUR STUPID HORNS AND MOUNT THEM OVER MY COFFIN

Seems to be working!

*squirt*

Ew, arterial spray.

*gurgling noises*

Suck it up, you big baby.

Assassin's Cut inflicts bleed status, which I don't think we've seen before. I don't care enough to check past updates, so I'm going to assume we haven't. :v: It does pretty much what it sounds like: inflicts a nasty amount of HP every round until it's healed, wears off, or you drop dead. Fortunately, it's a "physical" status ailment (as opposed to magical), so Willow's bag of tricks can keep our resident egomaniac on his feet.

Here, press this on it.

argh it burns

It's witch hazel! It'll keep it from getting infected.

I am going to get gangrene from shoving a leaf into my open wounds

Ehn, might be an improvement.

Will no one rid me of this troublesome Hex Knight

Oh. Thanks, bro!

You... you really mean that?

Sure do! In fact...

...all yours. Enjoy.

This is great! Thanks, chief!

That is suspiciously out of character for you.

Oh, come on! I reward you guys every now and then.

No. You don't.

Which begs the question: what are really you up to?

Alright, fine. Vlad's the one team member who's consistently ripping these guys to shreds. The faster he rips, the faster we get out of here.

Well, it's... kind of like altruism.

I'll take it anyway! :shobon:

Wasn't worth the trip, if you ask me.

I think we ran them out of rare ancient artifacts a few floors back. We're picking through their goodwill chests at this point.

C'mon, let's get to the chains so I can do the rolly eye thing and get back to the Spirit.

And the Sanctuary.

Right. Because that's where the Spirit's at.

You're getting kind of creepy about her, chief.

I cannot have her and so I must have her

Eesh, go take a cold shower or something.

*staggers*

...?

Oh. Oh, poo poo.

Wha?

I just remembered. Berias was raised by witches.

Okay...

Which means he's one of us.

...oh no...

What? What's wrong?

He's got a second form!

Well, you knew it had to happen eventually. Second boss forms are extra bad in Paper Sorceror because your energy and HP are probably still hurting after the brawl you just finished. In fact, if you had any lingering debuffs after the last fight, those'll carry over, too! What a deal! Anyway, this fight triggers when you try for the binding. If you know it's coming, there's nothing to stop you from porting out, healing/gearing up, and coming back fresh. Of course, that assumes you know it's coming. You won't the first time through, because there's nothing to indicate the game's about to screw you.

First order of business is to hit some Focuses (Foci?) and get our Energy back. Also, I want to remind you that any dialog in italics (that isn't our guys freaking out) actually happens in the game. Just sayin'.

augh

Well, at least he's consistent.

Must... protect her...

...?

El...

What? This whole thing is about that trashy romance novel?

You stupid son of a bitch!

Yeah!

Give me back that first chapter!

Welp, back to work, I guess.

wait what

fdkjfajgg

Dammit, Vlad, quit screwing around and do something!

Y'mean like this?

Yes, exactly like that!

kiiiiisssss asssss

Don't be hatin' 'cause I got the skills.

Berias' Shade, for whatever reason, is weak against Seal. Seal prevents the target from using any skills for the next few rounds—and I mean any. Magic, physical, doesn't matter. You get your weapon and whatever items you have in your inventory, and that's it. And, as I'm sure you're aware, bosses don't have an inventory.

I think.

Maybe. :ohdear:

In addition to that, the Shade's defense is real, real bad. So, this isn't nearly the meat grinder you'd think it is. We can start dropping 80+ HP bombs right away, and with Frank locking him down, there's not much to worry about outside of counter attacks. This even gives us a little leyway to try new tactics!

Diana curse thee to wither and fade!

...okay well that probably could've gone better.

I thought you guys didn't like curses? Threefold law and all.

Considering how many times he's cursed us, I think I'm owed a few.

Maybe not, given how that last one went.

Oh shush.

Will you idiots quit jabbering and make yourselves useful

Oh rite! Sorry.

I ain't even gonna say anything. You know what's up. :colbert:

Berias may have not been weak against Arcane Backlash, but his Shade? Oh my goodness, it's like he's made of nothing but raw, unrefined mana. Frank can hit him hard enough to knock him into the past where he can hit him again to knock him back into the future. The Abomination is most definitely MVP of this fight, and if you can get him past Berias' first form, you can put the rest of the fight on cruise control.

Gee, thanks for finally doing your jobs, everyone. :mad:

Hey!

Seriously, I don't see you doing anything other than poking at him with Black Bolt.

Oh, fine.

:stare:

Must I do everything around here myself?

Nothing like a critical hit to end a fight! Also, the haul is pretty drat good. The Sorceror takes both scrolls because Sorceror. To the victor go the spoils :smugbert:

In addition, Ziggy picks up a Seal ability, which is pretty neat. As our summons level up, you'll see their skillsets get more and more diverse and start to overlap. And, as I said before, more of a good thing is... uh... more.... good. Shut up. Writing is hard.

These boss fights are getting really rough.

No poo poo. Plus, that idiot didn't even have the missing pages. Now I have to come into the middle of the story cold!

Ehn. First part's probably a recap, anyway.

Well, I guess I'll never knooohhhgggghn

I wonder if any of these chants mean something?

010101000110100001100101001000000101001101101111011100100110001101100101011100100110010101110010 probably not 0110100101110011001000000110000101101110001000000110100101100100011010010110111101110100

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

KataraniSword posted:

This, but explicitly within the realms of the LP.

Please don't die horribly, Chokes. :ohdear:

I promise nothing

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Course NOTHING is stopping you from suddenly having a burning desire to rest in your bed and then come back to be "ambushed" by the 2nd form.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Nice one on the binding there. And yeah, this boss does the Scarmiglione thing. :jerkbag: I'm enjoying seeing you discover this as we go.

Something feels like it's missing though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm now pondering giving this game ago, explicitly using the various characters that aren't being used in it. I gave Chokes' current set up a try and it basically lead to me stomping my way through it. and now I'm looking for a challenge.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Something feels like it's missing though.

Whenever the Killer Puppet isn't onscreen, you should be asking yourself, "where's the Killer Puppet?"

behind you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh rite! Sorry.

I dearly hope this one was on purpose.

quote:

010101000110100001100101001000000101001101101111011100100110001101100101011100100110010101110010 probably not 0110100101110011001000000110000101101110001000000110100101100100011010010110111101110100

Respect not deserved: respect not given.

It says "The Sorcerer is an idiot"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Respect not deserved: respect not given.

The thing about the Sorceror is he's very good at what he does and it catches everyone off guard when he demonstrates it.

The other thing is, he's not very good at literally anything else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also I'm pretty proud of Ye Hotte Discoufe. :q:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I know what kind of joke you were going for, Chokes, but they're called Metal BLADES, thank you. :colbert:

Yapping Eevee posted:

And yeah, this boss does the Scarmiglione thing. :jerkbag:

At least when Milon Z happened, it was a harder fight than the first phase. I mean, you could literally just unleash ALL the fire and dropkick him off the bridge, but if you didn't expect it that first time you were probably hosed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Derek Barona posted:

I know what kind of joke you were going for, Chokes, but they're called Metal BLADES, thank you. :colbert:

Look, it's Bubble Man. You think he's going to put up a fight against a gigantic nuclear warmech?

(And to be fair the sprite looks more like a gear than a blade, though that's probably at least partly down to resolution limits)

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Look, it's Bubble Man. You think he's going to put up a fight against a gigantic nuclear warmech?

Bubble Lead is the only weapon that can hurt Dr. Wily's invulnerable mobile war suit. Am I saying that Bubble Man is the Solid Snake of the Mega Man universe, yes I am saying that and invite you to consult my fanwork Robot Masters Sans Frontières: The Sniper Joe Saga for more details.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can everlasting peace bloom on the battlefield?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Oh Rite.

Oh You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey Paper Sorcerer vets! I have a really unexpected curveball the game just threw me in Reapers' Dungeon 4, and I need someone's advice as to what happens as a result of the decision. As much as I want to go in blind, I really don't want to let this go to a vote blindly and end up screwing myself out of content.

:siren: DON'T POST IT HERE YOU CRETINS USE PM :siren:

FeyerbrandX posted:

Can everlasting peace bloom on the battlefield?

No.

Nope.

Nuh-uhn.

Maybe!

:catstare:

Just sayin'

• Locked thread