Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Goddamn it, no-one is going to pee on your daughters. Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Johnny Clay Cupp Jr is just happy to have something to seethe with anger about again. It's the only thing that lets him feel alive and whole

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Scratch Monkey posted:

Johnny Clay Cupp Jr is just happy to have something to seethe with anger about again. It's the only thing that lets him feel alive and whole

He should just come post in this thread with the rest of us.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Shoulda anused it more, imo.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EmmyOk posted:

People get weird on YikYak during exams.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like "hour long lickout" actively and preemptively ruins the surprise by letting me know ahead of time that he has no idea what he's doing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It sounds like you're still going to be surprised when he's throwing a suitcase full of you in the nearest canal

People think satire sites are real is always great.

https://twitter.com/Get2Church/status/734829842504527873

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 24, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't put all of me in the same suitcase

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Criticising your own murderer's technique, women are so stuck up these days...

Also I haven't heard someone say lickout in ages

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

This maybe makes sense if you've never played a modern game and just heard about how they're sold from whining 38-year-olds in sweaty Zelda t-shirts. I don't know of any game today that was released for full price with less content than average, and the increasing storage space available for games (since memory is always getting cheaper) makes it easy for a game to have 200 hours of non-repetitive content (so not including poo poo like collectibles) on top of whatever the DLC provides.

The other thing is, you can just not buy those games. Maybe if you're worried about not getting the full experience, don't buy it day one or pre-order it, wait and see if the idiots who did that got their money's worth. Or just wait and buy it when the price comes down.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

EmmyOk posted:

Criticising your own murderer's technique, women are so stuck up these days...

Also I haven't heard someone say lickout in ages

I've never heard it called that ever. It sounds.....Australian?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How do you convey to somebody that no soldier has fought for ARE FREEDOMS since like, the war of 1812?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chitoryu12 posted:

So you're not going to Autismcon?

He's already in this thread

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

The other thing is, you can just not buy those games. Maybe if you're worried about not getting the full experience, don't buy it day one or pre-order it, wait and see if the idiots who did that got their money's worth. Or just wait and buy it when the price comes down.

A good way to compare is probably Final Fantasy VII with Fallout 4. Not comparing the plot or writing or anything, just the amount of bang for your buck: how long does it take to complete the game? Both are big, highly anticipated, very long and expansive RPGs for their generation.

According to How Long To Beat, Final Fantasy VII on average takes about 39 hours to complete the main story alone, 55 hours to complete the main story and some side quests and play some minigames, and 85 hours to 100% complete. Fallout 4, meanwhile, takes only about 24.25 hours to complete the main quest...but takes a good 75.5 hours to complete the main quest and some extra stuff and 158 hours to 100%. So far the main quests for Automatron and Far Harbor are 4 hours and 5 hours respectively. Assuming Final Fantasy VII cost $50 back when it released new, it would be the equivalent of $74 today for less content in total than a $60 game.

For something less ambitious, we can compare Perfect Dark to BioShock, both very popular shooters from different eras. Perfect Dark is listed at 8.5 hours for the main story, a bit under 22 hours for the main story and some extras, and 44 hours to 100%. BioShock is listed at 12 hours for the main story, 16 hours for the main story and extras, and 22 hours to 100%. It doesn't have as much extra content as Perfect Dark since there's no bonus levels or all the Carrington Institute stuff like the shooting range, but the actual storyline stuff is longer.

It's simply bullshit. If anything, games are coming out of the box with more content than ever before.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

chitoryu12 posted:

A good way to compare is probably Final Fantasy VII with Fallout 4. Not comparing the plot or writing or anything, just the amount of bang for your buck: how long does it take to complete the game? Both are big, highly anticipated, very long and expansive RPGs for their generation.

According to How Long To Beat, Final Fantasy VII on average takes about 39 hours to complete the main story alone, 55 hours to complete the main story and some side quests and play some minigames, and 85 hours to 100% complete. Fallout 4, meanwhile, takes only about 24.25 hours to complete the main quest...but takes a good 75.5 hours to complete the main quest and some extra stuff and 158 hours to 100%. So far the main quests for Automatron and Far Harbor are 4 hours and 5 hours respectively. Assuming Final Fantasy VII cost $50 back when it released new, it would be the equivalent of $74 today for less content in total than a $60 game.

For something less ambitious, we can compare Perfect Dark to BioShock, both very popular shooters from different eras. Perfect Dark is listed at 8.5 hours for the main story, a bit under 22 hours for the main story and some extras, and 44 hours to 100%. BioShock is listed at 12 hours for the main story, 16 hours for the main story and extras, and 22 hours to 100%. It doesn't have as much extra content as Perfect Dark since there's no bonus levels or all the Carrington Institute stuff like the shooting range, but the actual storyline stuff is longer.

It's simply bullshit. If anything, games are coming out of the box with more content than ever before.

Most game that you or others have either ever played or liked, new or old, have a big component in the sense of providing the player a reward and / or a sense of accomplishment (immersion and narrative are present but 99% of the time pay backdrop to these elements):
  • Call of Duty - “You’ve unlocked the m5 scope with the camo grip!” or “You’ve unlocked 54th prestige!”
  • The Legend of Zelda - “You’ve found a treasure chest with the next cool item” or “You’ve defeated the evil boss of the stage”
  • Super Mario - “You hit the block and found an item that makes you invincible or much more powerful than you were” or “You got to the end of the stage” or “You rescued the princess”
  • PacMan - “You got the highest score” or “You got to see the next scene animation (whatever it’s called)”
  • Pong - “You got the ball past the other person’s (or CPU’s) defense”
The important thing to note, is you could make all of these games without the pronounced feeling of success for meeting a set criteria. A Call of Duty game with everything unlocked, and no kill death ratio or anything easily identifying your skill or time level spent with the game. PacMan with no score and no ghosts. Pong with a barrier so no one can score. A Super Mario where you could choose to play any level from the start, and just immediately go to the last level and beat the game. Or in fact any game where you could just jump to the game ending screen.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:goonsay: the original Japanese could be transliterated either way (エアリス earisu), "Aeris" just happened because the game's translation was, like most other RPG translations at the time, done by like one dude on a terrifyingly extreme time limit, resulting in poo poo like "this guy are sick" because that line was probably done at 3:30 AM on a diet of caffeine and self-hatred. The name is supposed to be "Aerith" because it evokes "Earth," and she's been called Aerith in everything related since, but also if you care about it that much there is no hope for you. I'm a nerd.

I don't actually have my own IoSM, I have a few conservative acquaintances but they're generally pretty reasonable and well-mannered with their opinions. Worst I have is a shithead I knew in high school who has since become a vehement police apologist.

e: I have heard it's Aerith because that's an anagram for "I, Earth" but also that sounds exactly like the "move the truck to get Mew" schoolyard bullshit of every dork's youth so

And also Aerith or Aeris brings to mind the Greek goddess Eris, and therefore Discordianism and the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Which, of course, makes Cloud Strife and Sephiroth Kerry Thornley and Lee Harvey Oswald.

:goonsay:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My friend mentioned that he watched the latest Transformers movie. He also mentioned that it and Michael Bay are poo poo and sexist.

Cue some spergin'

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
One of the Transformers movies has a scene were they explain Romeo and Juliet laws and how some guy dating a highschooler isn't a pedo. Bay is a hack.

Also he made a Mr. Ben Ghazi movie.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is this guy related to that sippie cupp lady?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh god I blocked that scene out. It was so uncomfortable how many minutes of a huge Sci-Fi action movie were dedicated to making a dude loving a teenager not a rapist, but only on a technicality.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My friend mentioned that he watched the latest Transformers movie. He also mentioned that it and Michael Bay are poo poo and sexist.

Cue some spergin'

I'm going to try out for the role of Uneducated Asian Person Gay Man in the next Michael Bay movie

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

Goddamn it, no-one is going to pee on your daughters. Jeez.

Tell that to R Kelly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Takoluka posted:

Sephiroth is great, because he suffers from the worst mommy issues in Final Fantasy and, on top of that, the one you're after isn't even the real Sephiroth.

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

8 years after graduation I still find backup copies of my thesis that I had forgotten about. I can't believe someone could take getting your thesis deleted in stride

Pope Corky the IX posted:

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

lol, the real sephiroth has been in north crater the whole time, missing an arm and his lower half and encased in materia after cloud killed him and cast him in the lifestream at the nibelheim reactor
you spend the whole game chasing Jenova body parts disguised as sephiroth
until the final boss fight you don't even know that sephiroth is still alive and it wasn't jenova all along, and even then you can't be 100% sure

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I've been a long time creeper but this is my first post. So I watched a youtube video and it made me realize this; Mario is a surly, distant, plumber. Just think about Luigi he has all the same powers and abilities as Mario but is taller in better shape and nicer. Despite this Mario always gets the princess because he is the epitome of red pill and Luigi is the exact opposite this could have only made more sense if Luigi were wearing blue.

Shigeru Miyamoto looks up from his screen. Finally, someone gets it.

"And here I though I had made it too obvious" he mumbles to himself.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

hackbunny posted:

8 years after graduation I still find backup copies of my thesis that I had forgotten about. I can't believe someone could take getting your thesis deleted in stride

You probably also wouldn't believe the abuse people endure because deep down they're a good person or because in reality they deserved it or whatever justification the victim's mind comes up with to cope.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

hackbunny posted:

lol, the real sephiroth has been in north crater the whole time, missing an arm and his lower half and encased in materia after cloud killed him and cast him in the lifestream at the nibelheim reactor
until the final boss fight you don't even know that sephiroth is still alive and it wasn't jenova all along, and even then you can't be 100% sure

I've never played the game, but that sounds incredibly stupid.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

And event then, the story wasn't helped by being pretty poorly translated into English like most games of the time.

I've no screenshots but there was plenty of IOSM at the time of people on message boards insisting that it was totally possible to raise Aeris back from the dead for the super secret best ending.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Question Mark Mound posted:

And event then, the story wasn't helped by being pretty poorly translated into English like most games of the time.

I've no screenshots but there was plenty of IOSM at the time of people on message boards insisting that it was totally possible to raise Aeris back from the dead for the super secret best ending.

And this is what people have been losing their minds over for the past twenty years?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm just reminded but has that massive SA lp of ff7 ever finished

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm just reminded but has that massive SA lp of ff7 ever finished

Yes actually, a month or two ago. Well, it'd been "finished" for a while, as in the game had been completed, but it took the op a while to do the final summing up things post. It's a v.good LP, no matter what your opinion of the game is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

hackbunny posted:

lol if you didn't have an audio transcript of your thesis on cassette just in case by the end of it

Also your thesis committee would have at least one paper copy and these days several digital copies of recent revisions, so even if some jerk threw your computer in a bonfire and found all the emergency backup discs and flash drives you had hidden in your house and car, you'd still be able to retrieve it from your sent mail folder or directly from the faculty on your committee.

Unless...

code:
c:\>delete thesis.txt

WARNING!  THIS WILL DELETE ANY AND ALL COPIES OF THE THESIS, EVEN IMAGINARY ONES.  

THE AUTHOR WILL GET SOCIAL MEDIA POINTS MAD STYLE BY POSTING ABOUT THIS ONLINE.  

DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE Y/N?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The writer even said she had extra copies. Goons are so determined to make any story that's even slightly not mundane into STDH.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't have a thesis because I never finished college. :smug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

How do you convey to somebody that no soldier has fought for ARE FREEDOMS since like, the war of 1812?

Depends on your definition of freedom.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

hackbunny posted:

It's a bit oversimplified, but yeah, that's more or less it. Sephiroth's a super soldier who gains some serious power after Cloud, in an act of badassery that you never see from the "emo" version they eventually made, hurls him off the side of a reactor into the Lifestream while impaled by Sephiroth's sword. Essentially, because of Planet life-blood mysticism, more or less, his consciousness separates from his physical body, allowing to roam about using the body parts of a different creature, manipulating Cloud and his party to do whatever while his physical form is encased elsewhere. Like, he sets up this whole plan to get something called the Black Materia, which can summon a gigantic meteor to destroy the world, by having the party do all the work obtaining it and then controlling Cloud into just giving it to him. The only actual counter measure is Aerith, who has the White Materia, and he offs her in that infamous scene. Unfortunately for him, she's actually the last surviving member of a race of people who are actually in tune with that aforementioned mysticism, and she uses the Planet's power to stop the meteor while Cloud kills Sephiroth for good.

There's actually a decent story in Final Fantasy VII, and I was reminded of it when I played the PS4 version recently. It's not the end-all-be-all that the fandom makes it out to be, because if you play through it, you realize that the fandom kind of forgot what the game was even about.

Now, if you really want to hurt your brain, consider the fact that, canonically, the race of people of whom Aerith was the last member are descendants of people from Final Fantasy X.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Oh, no, Jenova is an ancient shapeshifting alien that an incompetent but insane scientist attempts to weaponize. All the people injected with Jenova cells as part of his experiments - including the protagonist - turn into a sort of collective intelligence and they start a creepy as gently caress pilgrimage to the northern regions to get consumed and make Jenova whole again. Identity, power, free will, all shrouded in religious and occult symbolism: it's cheap but powerful stuff for a teenager

If you don't identify with the depressed protagonist with an identity crisis, maybe you'll identify with villain Sephiroth who went through a similar crisis and unlocked his secret power? maybe you'll identify with the anti-corporate eco-terrorists? the abusive misogynist with a heart of gold who loves flying planes and dreams of going to space? the hot-headed teenage lion-wolf? maybe you'll stay for the mystery of the past of a protagonist with swiss cheese memory? or just to collect all secret items and skills? win the unbeatable bonus fights harder than the final boss? master the minigames? breed the perfect mount? do you like the sassy and independent but melancholy flower girl more, or the insecure tough girl? When flower girl dies, will you finally accept the tough girl's clumsy advances or friendzone her for good?

Jesus, I would be more surprised if it wasn't a massively popular game

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 14:21 on May 24, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I submit to the thread every recent post about Finol Fintasy 7

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Plom Bar posted:

I submit to the thread every recent post about Finol Fintasy 7

let me tell you about the character of Genesis Rhapsodos

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Holy loving poo poo, I'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Final Fantasy VII is good

In fact, the only good video games ever are Final Fantasies 7, 9, and 10.