Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

He did make millions of minecraft. That is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure this is a lie.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I tried the Pink Lemonade one (I love that goofy seasonal/promotional junk). Way too sweet of course, but surprisingly decent for a Pop-Tart.

Video games? I ended up not liking Steamworld Dig much, disliked Gunman Clive a lot (surprisingly ugly in motion, although at least it took less than 45 minutes. I don't think I'd even suffer it on mobile to be honest, this here's a good replacement for the time), but am enjoying Contraption Maker quite a bit. Such a blast from the past! I do hope it gets a little more relaxed with the parts (so I can try and break it), but I just got passed the first middle difficulty. I also checked and it looks like the Armadillo Run guy announced a new game last month :holymoley:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

it plays fine from the beta but turning and aiming are slower on controller so either you or the people you play against will be lovely depending on how skilled you are.

Yeah, I figured. I'm not super competitive at FPS games so I don't really mind that. It's more that if I'm playing with a controller (because couch gaming), I want everyone else to be playing with a controller, too.

Could still get it on PC, guess it mostly depends which of my friends plays the most and how much the siren song of the couch lures me to PS4.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Yea, but that post was made yesterday, long after his brain turned to pudding.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I figured. I'm not super competitive at FPS games so I don't really mind that. It's more that if I'm playing with a controller (because couch gaming), I want everyone else to be playing with a controller, too.

Could still get it on PC, guess it mostly depends which of my friends plays the most and how much the siren song of the couch lures me to PS4.

well with xim in the wild there will always be mouse users on console being dicks

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I wish Notch would turn a corner like Pewdiepie and become a good role model for all the young folks that enjoy his stuff, but he seems like a genuine lost cause. He was a poo poo, and money made him more of a poo poo - bitter and shittier because being rich makes your friends seem like greedy jerks only hanging out with you for money's sake. If I had that much money and it was making me as miserable as it's making this dude, I'd be donating it to charity left and right, funding school programs, funding OTHER indie game devs, etc, in addition to obviously getting shitloads of therapy to try to put this nonsense into context. Maybe even paying money to disappear somewhere where people didn't know I was rich as God, so I can have normal relationships again.

Twitter is probably the least helpful thing Notch could be doing right now with his life (Him and TotalBiscuit. I'm surprised they're not bitter internet buds already? Are they? They'd be a Twitter power couple of impotent anti-S.J.W. rage.)

I'm drunk, forgive me if I sounded like an rear end. Hope y'all are having a really nice night! (Kite, you're an inspiration for wishing people to have nice days/evenings.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I once made a really good joke about notch where I said #redstonepill hehe good times

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wait, pewdiepie is a good role model now?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I believe he publicly apologized for the language he used in old videos.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

VoidBurger posted:

I wish Notch would turn a corner like Pewdiepie and become a good role model for all the young folks that enjoy his stuff

Wait what

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

axleblaze posted:

Not only did he apologize/regret making rape jokes and saying nasty poo poo in his old videos (saying something like "I should delete or censor these, ugh..."), but he also made a stand about "Fans That I Don't Want", ie: people that mock his Make-a-Wish kids for being odd-looking. That's being drat decent, imo.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Play Overwatch, get Overnotch

Jay Rust posted:

So, uh, anyone have any new film recommendations? Something fun to watch on a big screen

Dredd. And if you've already watched it, watch it again.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
OVERWATCH WORKS ON MY LAPTOP

I'M SO HAPPY

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Not only did he apologize/regret making rape jokes and saying nasty poo poo in his old videos (saying something like "I should delete or censor these, ugh..."), but he also made a stand about "Fans That I Don't Want", ie: people that mock his Make-a-Wish kids for being odd-looking. That's being drat decent, imo.

That's good.

It's doesn't even matter if he did that just to save face and try to avoid persecution by SJW. Yeah it's bad when people say lovely and hurtful things, and apologizing for it may not undo it, but it's better than not owning up to it an apologizing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Doesn't he donate a lot of his money to charity or something too? Like for being incredibly obnoxious he still seems like a decent person at the end of the day.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I had as much money as Notch, I'd just blow it all on a really good poster to handle all my posting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Doom single player actually good after all? Saw an ad for it right before an ad for the new movie adaptation of The B.F.G.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Snak posted:

That's good.

It's doesn't even matter if he did that just to save face and try to avoid persecution by SJW. Yeah it's bad when people say lovely and hurtful things, and apologizing for it may not undo it, but it's better than not owning up to it an apologizing.

PBS Newshour posted:

Doesn't he donate a lot of his money to charity or something too? Like for being incredibly obnoxious he still seems like a decent person at the end of the day.
Hell yeah to both of these posts. Being a decent person is good and nice.

I feel like being rich/well-known enables a person to really change the world in a positive way, so it's especially tragic to me to see someone with that power (like Notch) piss it away being contrary and edgy like a goddamn 14-year-old, wasting it on petty stupid twitter-poo poo, hardly doing anything to actually improve the world we're in. gently caress's sake, Bill Gates is putting a huge dent in MALARIA and Notch is whining about feminists on Twitter. Priorities!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That A&W one seems like it might actually taste good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Just quitting Twitter would do the guy some good and actually working on a thing. Something, even if it's a fund for other developers. Like, Woody Allen did some objectively abhorrent things in his life but he kept producing things that people liked and now he'll be remembered as the "genius film-maker who also likely molested his stepdaughter and married his adopted daughter" instead of the other way around. Though if notch keeps this up, maybe becoming a cautionary tale will be better for humanity than minecraft.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

Hell yeah to both of these posts. Being a decent person is good and nice.

I feel like being rich/well-known enables a person to really change the world in a positive way, so it's especially tragic to me to see someone with that power (like Notch) piss it away being contrary and edgy like a goddamn 14-year-old, wasting it on petty stupid twitter-poo poo, hardly doing anything to actually improve the world we're in. gently caress's sake, Bill Gates is putting a huge dent in MALARIA and Notch is whining about feminists on Twitter. Priorities!
yeah, while I wouldn't call myself a fan or supporter of Paula Deen, I thought it was pretty lame that she got blasted for being honest about having used "the n word" in the past. Like no poo poo an old white lady from the south has said the n word, and she was honest about that and talked about how she didn't condone racism and that was part of her past and how times have changed. And that's a good attitude. And I didn't like the aftermath making the lesson that you shouldn't own up to the past, but instead practice revisionist history.

Like if someone came forward and said straight-up "I used to be racist. But now I'm not, because I realized that I was a product of my environment, and I made the choice to grow as a person and become tolerant", the response should not be "holy poo poo I can't believe you used to be racist, what a terrible person". As a society, we should support positive change, because that's what we want.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StashAugustine posted:

Is Doom single player actually good after all? Saw an ad for it right before an ad for the new movie adaptation of The B.F.G.

Hell yeah it is :) It's fast and punchy with a suitably ridiculous story to go with it. I bought it at a discount from GreenManGaming but it plays very well on the consoles too. Mouse and keyboard are not required. The multiplayer isn't the best but I had fun with it just enough to get the two achievements tied to it but I have a feeling that it will be dead soon. SnapMap looks somewhat robust but also limiting. I'm sure there is some great stuff that could be made if the community is willing to work within those limits.

VoidBurger posted:

I remember reading that it and I felt very :3:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Man everyone should quit Twitter though for real. It's such poo poo. People let their egos get so wrapped in that bullshit. VoidBurger's RE wiki expose is the only thing I ever read in there that made me laugh a good hardy laugh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

speaking of bill gates, microsoft will probably make more money off of minecraft than notch did and we know bill gates will donate money so in some sense it will be paid forward

it wouldnt surprise me if they already have made more on the game than notch just based off of how many platforms they've gotten minecraft onto by now

i think about how nolan bushnell sold atari for $28 million and a year later the company was worth $2 billion

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I think Notch is just kind of an rear end in a top hat, which happens to people regardless of the size of their bank account

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
What gets me about the Pewdiepie turnaround is that (unlike Paula Deen's racism scandal, which hurt her brand/image), he didn't really have a solid PR-related reason to quit with the rape joke and slurs and whatever. He was doing just fine doing that gross stuff, the kids didn't mind it, his channel was still growing... he wasn't hurting financially because of any scandals or anything. I think it says something about his character that he decided to renege on that behavior without having a backlash to incite him doing so. :3: Whadda guy.

bloodychill posted:

Man everyone should quit Twitter though for real. It's such poo poo. People let their egos get so wrapped in that bullshit. VoidBurger's RE wiki expose is the only thing I ever read in there that made me laugh a good hardy laugh.
Not ResiEvil, the Silent Hill wiki! MY PRIDE AND JOY.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

I think it would be difficult to design a platform more antithetical to real conversations, thoughtful exchange of ideas, and personal growth if you tried.

Occasionally people make funny jokes on it, but it'd be hard not to occasionally say something cool if you posted dozens of one-liners and burns a day.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like Twitter as the place where comedians/scriptwriters put their jokes that aren't good enough for their stand up act/tv show.

I don't really get it for anything else though, like it seems like just a really good way to do weird stuff with comedy I have no idea how people actually use it as a social media site.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Twitter is how I keep up with the developments of artists, game devs, publishers, etc who post about what they're working on and it is possibly the best way that exists to do so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

What gets me about the Pewdiepie turnaround is that (unlike Paula Deen's racism scandal, which hurt her brand/image), he didn't really have a solid PR-related reason to quit with the rape joke and slurs and whatever. He was doing just fine doing that gross stuff, the kids didn't mind it, his channel was still growing... he wasn't hurting financially because of any scandals or anything. I think it says something about his character that he decided to renege on that behavior without having a backlash to incite him doing so. :3: Whadda guy.

Yeah, I agree, but at the same time, I don't really want to make "why people own up to their behavior" to be something I judge them for. People do good things for bad reasons and bad things for good reasons all the time. At the end of the day, it's good when people do good things and bad when people do bad things. It's sad when people do bad things with good intentions, and also sad when people do good things only for selfish reasons, but ultimately, people doing good things is good, and I'm glad when they do them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/PepitoTheCat

Unlike those things I just mentioned, I also follow this twitter called PepitoTheCat which is a video feed a guy has rigged up to a twitter bot on his computer that takes a screenshot every time his cat goes in and out of his house and posts it automatically.

https://twitter.com/PepitoTheCat/status/734919641626185728

https://twitter.com/PepitoTheCat/status/734932909103153153

Regardless of its informational value and the lack of a dialogue between people that it provides, it is an example of why twitter is a good platform because this could not have been done nearly as easily or in a way so easily accessible anywhere else. No, this twitter does not provide anything of worth to the people who follow it except minor entertainment when the cat goes in and out like 10 times in 5 minutes, but who cares

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VoidBurger posted:

My bad :sweatdrop:

Twitter has its uses but comedy and a revolution in Egypt with a dubious outcome are the only mostly positive things to come from it. I was definitely huge into NihilistArby's when that was fresh.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

speaking of bill gates, microsoft will probably make more money off of minecraft than notch did and we know bill gates will donate money so in some sense it will be paid forward

it wouldnt surprise me if they already have made more on the game than notch just based off of how many platforms they've gotten minecraft onto by now

i think about how nolan bushnell sold atari for $28 million and a year later the company was worth $2 billion

Microsoft buying Minecraft was almost entirely about them trying spend money overseas before tax loopholes were closed and they would have to pay taxes on it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

bloodychill posted:

My bad :sweatdrop:

Twitter has its uses but comedy and a revolution in Egypt with a dubious outcome are the only mostly positive things to come from it. I was definitely huge into NihilistArby's when that was fresh.

I moved overseas in 2010 so I've completely missed most of the new stuff in western culture, Twitter and Instagram being a couple examples. I still have no loving clue what the hell a bon iver is. I completely missed the boat on the Twitter thing and all that jazz, so when I look around and see people using @ and # everywhere I'm like what the gently caress is this poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VoidBurger posted:

I wish Notch would turn a corner like Pewdiepie and become a good role model for all the young folks that enjoy his stuff, but he seems like a genuine lost cause. He was a poo poo, and money made him more of a poo poo - bitter and shittier because being rich makes your friends seem like greedy jerks only hanging out with you for money's sake. If I had that much money and it was making me as miserable as it's making this dude, I'd be donating it to charity left and right, funding school programs, funding OTHER indie game devs, etc, in addition to obviously getting shitloads of therapy to try to put this nonsense into context. Maybe even paying money to disappear somewhere where people didn't know I was rich as God, so I can have normal relationships again.

Twitter is probably the least helpful thing Notch could be doing right now with his life (Him and TotalBiscuit. I'm surprised they're not bitter internet buds already? Are they? They'd be a Twitter power couple of impotent anti-S.J.W. rage.)

I'm drunk, forgive me if I sounded like an rear end. Hope y'all are having a really nice night! (Kite, you're an inspiration for wishing people to have nice days/evenings.)

notch is prick. but totalbiscuit is ok. he still gives some of the best game reviews. I never joined twitter. it seems to bring out the worst in people or at least the stupity in people.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Twitter is how I keep up with the developments of artists, game devs, publishers, etc who post about what they're working on and it is possibly the best way that exists to do so

yeah I mostly just follow game loc people.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Microsoft buying Minecraft was almost entirely about them trying spend money overseas before tax loopholes were closed and they would have to pay taxes on it.

they'd have to sell another 100 million copies of it just to break even

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfvrCItdhBY

A blast from the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Seeing people bring up video game guys who suddenly come into money and whether or not they donate to charity, I don't remember it all that well because it was a few years ago now but like, I think I remember that some people were actually upset the guy who made FNAF donated a bunch of money to charities because he felt it was his duty as a Christian (can't remember exactly what he said) and they became like, almost offended when they found out he was a religious person.

Like it was a given or something at everyone involved in games would be an atheist or something. It was super bizarre.

• Locked thread