Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I think the comic has made it fairly clear that monsters have their own free will, and that Rjinder's is in control of him. For one, he's been very insistent to everyone at Shell that monsters don't have minds of their own. He gave that weird-rear end speech about how he's glad his monster isn't an intelligent being, because if it was it could slowly and painfully murder him in an excruciating way. (Tell me that's not a cry for help.) We've seen Guuzy and Rixis act on their own and keep secrets from their human hosts, plus there's that boneless girl who is terrified of her monster, and Enid's monster seems to be bossing her around as well. These are all big hints the comic has been dropping for a while, I think it's been made fairly clear that Rjinder's skin monster is the main antagonist setting things in motion. The question is, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The last two mentions of "Chakra" had Lulenksi recoiling in disgust, and this is supposed to be a "proto-Chakra" device, which suggests this is just a test run for something far more grandiose and disturbing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GenericServices posted:

The critical question is whether this heartfelt conversation finishes before Petunia walks in on them.

The only thing bad about today's Poppy update is that the mysterious figure in the last panel isn't Petunia come to horribly misconstrue (?) the situation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Actually so far Petunia has been reading the situation very accurately.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Bravo posted:

What I don't get is why Rjinder's skin wants the Chakra program to succeed. It's the mastermind behind Rjinder, he's said before that he's completely at its mercy, and it seems to be the one pushing Lulinski forward as well. (Without her knowledge) But why? Surely it doesn't want to be reintegrated with Rjinder, that would erase its mind and revert it back into normal skin. Does it just want to get rid of all the other monsters? I don't get it.

Maybe it's the other way around and the skin monster wants to become whole and erase Rijinder's mind since it seems to be the dominate force.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Actually so far Petunia has been reading the situation very accurately.

Thus the (?) part of that post :v:

Petunia is right, seemingly, but for all the wrong reasons. It's great. I sincerely hope she just goes on thinking that her "clues" were the real smoking guns all along and nobody corrects her.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Today's Daughter of the Lilies update is clever as heck.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Zweihander01 posted:

Today's Daughter of the Lilies update is clever as heck.

I don't think I was prepared for that kind of fourth wall brushing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Ok today's dumbing of age kind of pisses me off. If you're going to do drama, do loving drama and own it. If you're going to do content warnings do them up front.

Don't do a big song and dance about trigger warnings deep into your ongoing comic, then apologize for that content afterwards. You might as well not even do the strip.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I never thought that I'd say this, but QC did it better. Its suicide was way more funny.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 25, 2016

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Eh. I don't mind it. Its a big enough warning that people can definitely stop without seeing the strip and the thing at the end probably helps people too

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the kitten is a little over the top. But that's just my opinion.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The problem is he wants it both ways--he doesn't want to offend anyone, but he still wants to exploit a kid walking in on their mom's suicide for cheap shock value.

Compare it to Strong Female Protagonist's handling of a sensitive topic. Not to say that chapter didn't have its problems, but it started out with the content warning in advance of the content in question, and rather than using it as a single moment of shock, it examined the issue to the best of its creators' abilities. As opposed to Dumbing of Age here, which is basically "trigger warning: Kyle Rayner's girlfriend dismembered in a refrigerator (it's cool, guys, I used a trigger warning)".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
On the one hand, it's cool to take into account that this is a topic that can upset people, and that people who enjoy reading Wacky Highschool Hijinks by David "Butts Disease" Willis do not necessarily want to get this kind of stuff instead of wacky hijinks about butts.

On the other hand, a giant warning like that is a great way to make any sort of emotion fall flat. This strip is even more of a loss.jpg with it than it would be without it.

The kitten is nice, but the comment on it is dumb.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I never thought that I'd say this, but QC did it better. Its suicide was way more funny.

Who did the guest strip where Faye went back in time to prevent her dad's suicide, only for him to see two Fayes at once and pull the trigger

Chris Doctor McNinja Hastings did the hostess fruit pies strip

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 25, 2016

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Phy posted:

Who did the guest strip where Faye went back in time to prevent her dad's suicide, only for him to see two Fayes at once and pull the trigger

Chris Hastings again.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Ok today's dumbing of age kind of pisses me off. If you're going to do drama, do loving drama and own it. If you're going to do content warnings do them up front.

Don't do a big song and dance about trigger warnings deep into your ongoing comic, then apologize for that content afterwards. You might as well not even do the strip.

Why are you bothering to read Willis rehashing all his old poo poo again? Don't be another victim of Webcomics Inertia.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Didn't read his old stuff, so it ain't old to me.

Some of the stuff he did with the sheltered christian girl was pretty well done, I think because it was based on the author's own experiences. It's been kind of disappointing lately though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Ok today's dumbing of age kind of pisses me off.

You could post this every day and not be in the wrong

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

The what now?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this strip pretty much validated QC's existence up to 2012. for everything after then of course there's no excuse

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Poppy Opossum is making me sad, you guys. Why can't Lily have nice things? :(

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah poppy

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah sorry you are expecting way too much tonal and emotional maturity from Willis. Hes been doing the exact same poo poo the exact same way for over a decade now- minus the trigger warnings.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 26, 2016

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Some of the stuff he did with the sheltered christian girl was pretty well done, I think because it was based on the author's own experiences. It's been kind of disappointing lately though.
The stuff with Joyce is the reason I read the comic too. I really wish he'd stick with stories about her needing to reconcile her desire to be a good person and her need to obey the religious rules she'd been raised with. When he tries to explore other issues Willis is much more hit or miss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Poppy Opossum is making me sad, you guys. Why can't Lily have nice things? :(

I dunno. It can go one of two ways. Learning your parent(s) is/are just as fallible as anyone else with the same fears and hopes can improve empathy orrr it could just lead to Lily becoming even more disillusioned and I'm not sure which is more likely here.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno. It can go one of two ways. Learning your parent(s) is/are just as fallible as anyone else with the same fears and hopes can improve empathy orrr it could just lead to Lily becoming even more disillusioned and I'm not sure which is more likely here.

Lily is smart. I think this will give her perspective on where her mom is coming from and maybe help her stop being so focused on her own pain. I mean, she was in a place where she didn't even care that her mom didn't die. She needs something to get her out of her own head.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sorry kid, you can never achieve anything in your life and the rest of the world wants nothing to do with you but to kick you around in the dirt. Cheer up and get used to your station in life.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thanks Morbi for breaking us of the illusion that a small cloth can keep a child unconscious despite being waved around and in a room full of screaming adults.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's being carried by a tail that really puts them under.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Thanks Morbi for breaking us of the illusion that a small cloth can keep a child unconscious despite being waved around and in a room full of screaming adults.

From context I get the impression that it's a thing that works on young opossums in the real world but I could be totally off base :shrug:

I'd actually been meaming to ask cuz I have been wondering.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov posted:

I've never read anything of this guy's before Dumbing of Age and I generally like the comic, at least enough to keep following it, but this strip was dreadful. If this is leading by example, I really hope people realize that placing a giant warning label on top of your comic strip just sucks all impact that strip may have had. And he acts like by having this in his strip, he has done some bad action. I just don't understand. Is this really what people want?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sorry kid, you can never achieve anything in your life and the rest of the world wants nothing to do with you but to kick you around in the dirt. Cheer up and get used to your station in life.

The game is rigged but life still needs living.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I've never read anything of this guy's before Dumbing of Age and I generally like the comic, at least enough to keep following it, but this strip was dreadful. If this is leading by example, I really hope people realize that placing a giant warning label on top of your comic strip just sucks all impact that strip may have had. And he acts like by having this in his strip, he has done some bad action. I just don't understand. Is this really what people want?

He's learned from his peers, that if he does something which his fanbase does not like they will skin him alive. He puts a trigger warning there, because if he doesn't someone will get stupid offended, blast him on tumblr, which will get reblogged a billion times, and he'll end up putting a pair of scissors through his hand.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

color me astonished that the wolf boy raised by Transformers cartoons in a cult compound still struggles with the fine points of social graces

his endless comic strip soap opera is bad but otoh every day he doesn't try to drag somebody behind his truck is a victory so

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 27, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

He's learned from his peers, that if he does something which his fanbase does not like they will skin him alive. He puts a trigger warning there, because if he doesn't someone will get stupid offended, blast him on tumblr, which will get reblogged a billion times, and he'll end up putting a pair of scissors through his hand.

This is a dramatic overstatement because posting a trigger warning is not that bad, however taking up half the page with two warnings for a four panel strip, then immediately making a joke/apology is taking things a bit too far. Like drat, just because you don't make all of your audience happy 100% of the time does not automatically make you a douchebag going "sorry you were offended" to people on Twitter. There's a middle ground.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

color me astonished that the wolf boy raised by Transformers cartoons in a cult compound still struggles with the fine points of social graces

his endless comic strip soap opera is bad but otoh every day he doesn't try to drag somebody behind his truck is a victory so

Willis is probably the lead example in some psychologists long term study on how the internet has curbed the occurrence of serial killers in the post-internet western world, if he'd been born 30 years earlier he'd have at least six dead co-eds in his yard by this point in his life

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mr. stefan posted:

Willis is probably the lead example in some psychologists long term study on how the internet has curbed the occurrence of serial killers in the post-internet western world, if he'd been born 30 years earlier he'd have at least six dead co-eds in his yard by this point in his life

you sound really normal yourself

TwoPair posted:

This is a dramatic overstatement because posting a trigger warning is not that bad, however taking up half the page with two warnings for a four panel strip, then immediately making a joke/apology is taking things a bit too far. Like drat, just because you don't make all of your audience happy 100% of the time does not automatically make you a douchebag going "sorry you were offended" to people on Twitter. There's a middle ground.

yeah i agree with this. my ideal trigger warning method would be a little blurb on an opaque overlay over the comic itself that you click to make go away. this method that was chosen in the comic is a sure fire way to knock any tension out of a scene

fun hater fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 27, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
List of people who are now screwed in Widdershins
  • Sid
  • O'malley
  • Wolfe
  • Ben
  • The entire Barber clan
  • The town itself
  • The world too because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm particularly confused about why he decided that this specific comic was the one he needed to warn people about so badly. He's already had plenty of trauma and violence and even a big bit about college date-rape right? What made this one so special?

• Locked thread