Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Actually, Maxwell Lord is worried that Terry Long is such a good, empathic, geniune dude that he'll be the only one to see through Maxwell Lord's years-long charade where he pretends to be nice and everything before turning into Turbohitler. He can't get too close to Terry, or the plan would be exposed prematurely!
Actually, Maxwell Lord is trying out some Spike Spiegel cosplay and is all "Whattaya think?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was looking into getting some art for my walls, nothing too capey but still by my favorite artists. For example, something like the Mignola statue studies he puts as splash pages in some of the Hellboy collections. I went to his site and he's only got like eight prints for sale, none of which is what I'm looking for. I guess I could just go to kinkos with the images but I'd rather pay the artist for a nice quality print, is there some company that does licensed print repros somewhere? Any other advice for where to get comics art that is of a quality to hang on your wall, without actually commissioning original art?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I was looking into getting some art for my walls, nothing too capey but still by my favorite artists. For example, something like the Mignola statue studies he puts as splash pages in some of the Hellboy collections. I went to his site and he's only got like eight prints for sale, none of which is what I'm looking for. I guess I could just go to kinkos with the images but I'd rather pay the artist for a nice quality print, is there some company that does licensed print repros somewhere? Any other advice for where to get comics art that is of a quality to hang on your wall, without actually commissioning original art?

You can try Heritage Auctions.

There is no Mike Mignola stuff on there currently, but in the recently sold section it lists previously sold stuff to give you an idea:

http://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=Mike+Mignola&Ntk=SI_Titles&ic4=OtherResults-ViewAll-071515

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Hey if anyone here is anywhere near NE Indiana you should come to the Mark Millar signing at DCBS next month! All the info for it is here https://www.facebook.com/events/1712050852388318/
I'll be there all day! Come hang out!!!

Hey that's cool. I'll have to hit that up. I know people bag on Millar, but he's a cool guy.

I liked hearing his stories about owning the Christopher Reeves Superman cape and putting it in his house, the realizing that was kind of villainous. And about Blade on an ice cream truck holding an ice cream cone instead of a sword.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heathen posted:

You can try Heritage Auctions.

There is no Mike Mignola stuff on there currently, but in the recently sold section it lists previously sold stuff to give you an idea:

http://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=Mike+Mignola&Ntk=SI_Titles&ic4=OtherResults-ViewAll-071515

I'll look at this, thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apropos of nothing: Avengers Annual #14, written by Roger Stern with art by John Byrne and Kyle Baker (crossing over with Fantastic Four Annual #19, I think) - the Avengers and the FF end up in deep space where they have to thwart a plot by a renegade Skrull general (Zabyk) who wants to take over the empire after their Throneworld is consumed by Galactus. We get this scene:

Now, I think that's kind of skin-crawly right there in the third panel. He's essentially molded himself around all the internal components of the suit, so he's basically a head attached to a bunch of green jelly.

At the end of the issue, the hyper-wave bomb they're discussing (spoilers) sends this pulse throughout the universe and removes every Skrull's ability to shapeshift, leaving them all stuck in the form they're in. So this guy is left sealed in his armour, because he had to shapeshift into it and now he can't shapeshift out. And he never appears again! So he's basically stuck forever (or at least until the Skrulls got their shape-changing powers back) as a big lump of jelly with a head that's been poured into a suit of armour that he can never get out of.

I know it's mild compared to a lot of stuff in comics, but still: :stare:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That's really awesome, in a somewhat gross and horrific kind of way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alan Young died. Scrooge McDuck may have been Don Rosa's baby, but Mr Young did an amazing and steadfast job giving him voice for a new audience.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Alan Young died. Scrooge McDuck may have been Don Rosa's baby, but Mr Young did an amazing and steadfast job giving him voice for a new audience.

:smith: 2016 is bullshit. Can we just skip to 2017?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This one was 97 years old, so it's not really 2016's fault.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He acted in that Ducktails videogame just a year or two ago, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

He acted in that Ducktails videogame just a year or two ago, right?

In 2013, yeah. The game has like a goddamn hour of cutscenes, which is not a great gaming experience but is like a neat little extra episode for the fans of the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ducktales was one of the few Disney things I liked as a child. I was much more of a Looney Tunes kid. But man that sucks to hear.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I think you mean Carl Barks.

Everyone needs to be reading the Barks collections being put out by Fantagraphics, they're great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

I think you mean Carl Barks.

Everyone needs to be reading the Barks collections being put out by Fantagraphics, they're great.

Let's just agree that they are both names that are strongly associated with that most famous of ducks.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

zoux posted:

I've considered getting an extra copy of the Hellboy Artist Edition and cutting some of pages out for hanging. There is a seller on ebay who did this. He's been trying to sell some pages outta it for years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

This one was 97 years old, so it's not really 2016's fault.

But who will remind us that a horse is a horse, of course of course?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Can I say I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet? Because I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Can I say I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet? Because I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet.

Dwayne McDuffie's been dead for 5 years and I'm still not really over it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still get bummed about Mike Weiringo every now and then

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Praxiteles of Athens :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I still get bummed about Mike Weiringo every now and then

Every time I pick up the Waid FF HCs I get really sad.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I tried to warn everyone. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The DC Rebirth spoiler thread is amazing for all the wrong reasons. :allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SynthOrange posted:

The DC Rebirth spoiler thread is amazing for all the wrong reasons. :allears:
Are they mad? I read the spoilers and it seems like DC is flat-out apologizing for the last five years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are but not for what they did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some people are mad, and I can see why since it's a pretty controversial move to pull, but I'm actually kind of interested in seeing what they do with it myself. And their admission of the failure of the last five years is good start to trying to turn it around. I think a lot of people think their fix is worse though. I'm not sure it's smart, but it's a pretty ballsy move and if it fails it will fail much more spectacularly than the sputtering out of the New 52.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The problem I have is that it's not a straight-up admission of failure so much as - if the rumors are true - that even the apology is tainted by shifting blame, in this case onto a target which is totally undeserved and is not in any way the source of DC's problems. Like, that's the problem. It's not "We hosed up the last five years" so much as "The last five years were hosed up, because of this". If the rumors are true, the apology comes across as insincere as well as fundamentally insulting due to what their target is.

Also, yeah, the very nature of the spoiler...a good rule of thumb for comics is "No matter how bad it is, it doesn't ruin the comics you liked." The really bad exceptions - your Identity Crises, Sins Pasts, Infinite Crises et al - can and do, in fact, ruin the past. If this reveal ends up being bad, that's exactly what it'll do, and that's very distressing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It's still mostly the same people doing it, so I think its pretty prudent to be skeptical, especially since it took them so long to do it in the first place. That N52 was mostly a creative (and soon after financial) failure should have been evident after the first year, and shouldn't have dragged out that long, even if DCYou was a good, if failed, try to course-correct.

Some things like the double shipping isn't something that cries "this will be really good!" either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Toxxupation posted:

The problem I have is that it's not a straight-up admission of failure so much as - if the rumors are true - that even the apology is tainted by shifting blame, in this case onto a target which is totally undeserved and is not in any way the source of DC's problems. Like, that's the problem. It's not "We hosed up the last five years" so much as "The last five years were hosed up, because of this". If the rumors are true, the apology comes across as insincere as well as fundamentally insulting due to what their target is.
Yeah, that's not how I read it. They can't come out and say "boy, the writers sure shat the bed these last five years in a realm we're not aware of" in the actual comic book. So they say the version they can actually put into their characters mouths without breaking kayfabe. "Ten years of our lives and a great deal of the joy got taken away from us by an antagonistic force and we need to fix it" is a full throated apology. Yes, DC is saying, the New 52 was a mistake, for all the reasons all of you stopped reading, and we're give what we did to the bad guy as a start towards showing you that we know what we did was wrong.

And the thing that does it is an omnipotent entity from another reality who tinkered with the DCU and made it worse just because they thought it'd be an interesting change. [spoiler]And he's from one of the iconic books that launched the Dark Age poo poo that poisoned the New 52 right from the start. I'd say that there's literally no way they could make it clearer without going full Grant Morrison, but seriously, this is the Monitors in Final Crisis, except turned up to 11 and with the subtext even less present.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 24, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, they put Watchers in Final Crisis?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think he meant the Monitors, unless I'm forgetting something big about Final Crisis.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sorry, goddammit, I mixed up my omnipotent meta-y observer aliens. It's 1 am :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that's not how I read it. They can't come out and say "boy, the writers sure shat the bed these last five years in a realm we're not aware of" in the actual comic book. So they say the version they can actually put into their characters mouths without breaking kayfabe. "Ten years of our lives and a great deal of the joy got taken away from us by an antagonistic force and we need to fix it" is a full throated apology. Yes, DC is saying, the New 52 was a mistake, for all the reasons all of you stopped reading, and we're give what we did to the bad guy as a start towards showing you that we know what we did was wrong.

And the thing that does it is an omnipotent entity from another reality who tinkered with the DCU and made it worse just because they thought it'd be an interesting change. And he's from one of the iconic books that launched the Dark Age poo poo that poisoned the New 52 right from the start. I'd say that there's literally no way they could make it clearer without going full Grant Morrison, but seriously, this is the Monitors in Final Crisis, except turned up to 11 and with the subtext even less present.

"They" in this is Geoff Johns, a major contributor if not the architect of New 52, who has made cake out of the Dark Age. He's now writing a comic which blames the whole thing on an "antagonistic force outside of the universe" and it's not him - it's not a rip of Morrison showing up in Animal Man - it's Doctor Manhattan from the well-plundered graveyard of Moore's Watchmen. The Watchmen, which is to be blamed for ushering in the Dark Age of Comics the same way that Jaws is to be blamed for Transformers 4.

The cold unfeeling grip of Doctor Manhattan himself reached in and remade the bright world of DC comics as they existed before 2011 into the nightmare of New 52. It's all his fault. It's Watchmen's fault for poisoning the comics industry with cynicism and pessimism. Johns agrees, the creators of New 52 (he talks as if this doesn't include himself) incorrectly believed Watchmen to be a manifesto of how to write comics, and the DC universe is going to fight that incorrect belief within the comic itself - as he says about Manhattan being the bad guy “If you’re going to have a conflict between optimism and pessimism, you need to have someone who represents a cynical view of life and also has the ability to affect this. I know it’s crazy but he felt like the right character to use.”
That's right, the figure of Doctor Manhattan will be the bad guy in a comic written by Geoff "Everything sucks because people don't understand The Watchmen" Johns that rejects the cynicism of the New 52 as portrayed by Geoff "What can I do, I'm only the Chief Creative Officer?" Johns.

Literally the last third of The Watchmen could be subtitled "How Manhattan Got His Groove Back" as he leaves the book the most hopeful and optimistic of the characters having been transformed from a detached otherworldly superbeing into a god filled with renewed interest at the wonders of the universe. The idea that Manhattan is to blame directly for New 52 and by proxy misunderstanding Watchmen is to blame for the Dark Age presented by a writer who doesn't admit he holds a significant contribution directly to the Dark Age and New 52 in particular, and who is currently giving interviews which clearly demonstrate he either still does not understand Watchmen or is yet to even read it, is not an apology. It's literally just Geoff Johns retreading Infinite Crisis but insisting this time it's different I swear, and by issue 3 or 4 someone will have lost an arm again.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 24, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The issue isn't out yet. If you want to discuss it in non-vague terms either use tags or go to the dedicated thread for it where you don't have to do that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poo poo sorry.

Rhyno spoiled something for me once so he's to blame for there not being spoilers in my post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

poo poo sorry.

Rhyno spoiled something for me once so he's to blame for there not being spoilers in my post.

And by drat I will do it again.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This seems like the place for random questions...

Years ago I read a book about movie projects that never got made. It was a long book with lots of entries. One was the adaptation of an obscure 80s indie comic about a girl who first as a child is orphaned in an accident and raised by one of those African cultures that does the extreme body modifications like neck extensions and lip-plates. Later as an adult (and maybe an heiress?) she and some friends move back to the US. Like, I guess the whole thing had a lot of criticism about how the West views "traditional" beauty and stuff. Now I've been thinking about it again and I wish I could remember the title and creator (I want to say a woman was the writer and maybe artist). I want to say I looked for it like, over a decade ago, and had a lot of trouble finding any info about it...

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

This seems like the place for random questions...

Years ago I read a book about movie projects that never got made. It was a long book with lots of entries. One was the adaptation of an obscure 80s indie comic about a girl who first as a child is orphaned in an accident and raised by one of those African cultures that does the extreme body modifications like neck extensions and lip-plates. Later as an adult (and maybe an heiress?) she and some friends move back to the US. Like, I guess the whole thing had a lot of criticism about how the West views "traditional" beauty and stuff. Now I've been thinking about it again and I wish I could remember the title and creator (I want to say a woman was the writer and maybe artist). I want to say I looked for it like, over a decade ago, and had a lot of trouble finding any info about it...

You're looking for Carol Lay and Goodnight, Irene. It's a weird one because I associate Lay with completely different stuff (short stories and a kind of forgotten career arc where she tried to sell a bookshop targeted self-help Graphic Novel which was coolly received and hasn't really surfaced again) and forget she did that one, had to dive deep into Trina Robbins to remember that she did that.

Support her by reading her stuff: http://www.gocomics.com/lay-lines and her Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/laylines?ty=h

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PSA: Comixology launched it's unlimited service today. Nothing from the big 2 but it's got most of the rest including DH, Image and IDW.

• Locked thread