Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Frankenstyle posted:

She feels like a hammy over the top villain that'd fit in with 1967 Batman show, but without any self awareness. Cesar Romero and Adam West knew they were playing it absurdly over the top, but Smith gets all cartoony while giving off a vibe like "Rar baby, this pussy has teeth" and it gives me a bad case of second hand embarrassment. Being cocky when you're doing a bad job is just grating.

They're trying to do an Ertha Kitt Catwoman with her, but it's so tonely wrong for the show, which while silly, is the wrong kind of silly. It also comes across as a them trying to write a "strong female character" but not understanding what that is so they just make her always win and never have any consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

She feels like a hammy over the top villain that'd fit in with 1967 Batman show, but without any self awareness. Cesar Romero and Adam West knew they were playing it absurdly over the top, but Smith gets all cartoony while giving off a vibe like "Rar baby, this pussy has teeth" and it gives me a bad case of second hand embarrassment. Being cocky when you're doing a bad job is just grating.

the only difference I see between Fish and 60's villains is that Fish is a modern version. She's just as self aware of her over the top goofiness, she's also extremely into it which makes come across as sincere. Something I'd count as a strength, but I can see it grating people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My main issue with Fish Mooney is that Jada Pinket-Smith is a tremendously lovely actress.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

My main issue with Fish Mooney is that Jada Pinket-Smith is a tremendously lovely actress.

A trait she passed along to her kids.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Ms. Peabody - nooooooooooo!!!! No one should listen to Fish :rowdytrout:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ummm... why is one of them Bruce?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Zero One posted:

Ummm... why is one of them Bruce?

Isn't there an evil Wayne kid in some versions of the story? My guess it it's him.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I assumed he was cloned by Strange or something.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Butch showing up with a different heavy gun every week is a theme I could definitely get behind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

6-year plan man posted:

Butch showing up with a different heavy gun every week is a theme I could definitely get behind.

This time it lacked amazing music.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone taken guesses at who the bus villains are? One definitely looks like Killer Croc, and the spindly talon could be man-bat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sector_corrector posted:

Has anyone taken guesses at who the bus villains are? One definitely looks like Killer Croc, and the spindly talon could be man-bat.

Those are the only ones I could venture a guess on given my Batman knowledge. Was this week the finale?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
What I liked about the whole bit where Gordon is being impersonated by Clayford M. Face is that faux-Gordon's voice was not perfect. He was clearly doing a cheap impression that was OK enough to get by with if everyone thought he had the flu, but that's it. He didn't magically get the ability to perfectly impersonate someone's voice. He just, you know, magically got the ability to have his face superscienced into someone else's face using a weird steam-powered mask filled with what I'm assuming is monster semen.

And every scene Fish was in was wasted time. Everything bit of scenery she chews, every single thing she does, is ridiculous. At one point, she stops the bus so she can rev the engine and start the game of chicken with the cop car. And how ridiculous is every scene she's in? Here's how ridiculous: she somehow gets the bus to burn rubber while stopped, and then it takes off like a... well, like the kind of car that's set up to be able to do what she was doing. Except that you can do that with cars. You can't do it with a bus full of monsters. It's stupid. That's not how that works. That's not how any of that works.

But, hey, we got Butch with a big gun again. Sure, no theme song this time, but I'm sure they'll address that next season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was seriously hoping Fish would get killed right at the end, when she thought she'd won, but nope, she's the worst kind of character. She feels like a character that a fanfiction writer created they wanted to have someone that could beat the Hero, but was unable to create a compelling narrative so they just have them always win. Post Coma Barbra has been actually amusing to see though.

The annoying this is just how many drat hooks they set up for season 3, but I feel like they'll all be dragged out.

Clayface Gordon was pretty hilarious though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tarlibone posted:

And every scene Fish was in was wasted time. Everything bit of scenery she chews, every single thing she does, is ridiculous.

What I can't figure out is why she doesn't work (and it's clear that something doesn't work with her) when everyone else does. I mean, the show is a scenery-chewing competition. Penguin, Nygma, Strange, Crazy-Barbara, and everyone else are just as over-the-top as Fish, but for some reason when they do it it works.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I loving hate Fish, but I sort of dig the way they introduced the crazy goofy themed villains to the show's universe. It's the easy way out, but for TV it's acceptable.

edit:

I would like to reiterate how much I like the kid playing Bruce and how much I didn't expect to like the kid playing Bruce.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 24, 2016

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

evenworse username posted:

Isn't there an evil Wayne kid in some versions of the story? My guess it it's him.

Could be a twist on Hush?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That flashback of the death of the Waynes made me see how much that kid has aged in the last few years.

There was a moment with the new Fish I was sort of hoping they'd reveal her to essentially be like the Queen Bee of Young Justice, in a way, where her powers didn't work on most women.

The other thing I was thinking was the way she was driving was that she'd end up getting in a crash and getting left on life support or something. Her coming back with mind control powers and setting up a ruthless crime empire from a hospital bed, using doctors, nurses, visitors, criminals, etc.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The finale was okay but pretty disappointing compared to the season overall. It just seemed a bit flat.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

tarlibone posted:

And how ridiculous is every scene she's in? Here's how ridiculous: she somehow gets the bus to burn rubber while stopped, and then it takes off like a... well, like the kind of car that's set up to be able to do what she was doing. Except that you can do that with cars. You can't do it with a bus full of monsters. It's stupid. That's not how that works. That's not how any of that works.

I laughed at all of this while watching and then today I read this and laughed again.

Gotham is a good bad show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

What I can't figure out is why she doesn't work (and it's clear that something doesn't work with her) when everyone else does. I mean, the show is a scenery-chewing competition. Penguin, Nygma, Strange, Crazy-Barbara, and everyone else are just as over-the-top as Fish, but for some reason when they do it it works.

Well, I think that part of the issue is that we all know that Penguin, Nygma, and Strange have a future with Batman. And Babs too, I guess. And that means, they have a future on this show, unless this show really takes a left turn and gives established canon the fingery-est of all fingers. But also, there's a place where we can all connect with these characters, something we can latch onto.

With Penguin, yeah, he's a psychopath and a master manipulator. But he's a scrappy underdog, a commoner who has weaseled his way into the upper echelon of the criminal underworld--a regular Joe who made it, if you will. And some of the stuff he kills people over makes a certain kind of sense: Galavan killed his mom, so he goes after him; what's-her-face kills his biological father shortly after they are united, so he goes after her and her rear end in a top hat kids. He overreacts to the situations at hand, and he overacts, but it works because he's a great actor and given his character's psychopathy, his craziness is plausible. We can suspend our disbelief.

With Nygma, he starts out as a guy who's just a couple of nuts short of a fruitcake. We all know that weird guy at the office who tries to blend in just a little too hard, resulting in many awkward and stilted conversations. And that guy is usually pretty darn good at his job. The hyper-competent, super-smart office weirdo is practically a trope, really, and for good reason. So when his stress points are hit just hard enough, he flips his lid, and because he's established how nutty he was to begin with, it's all plausible. Also, this guy is killing it in the acting department.

Then there's Strange. He's got Strange in the name, for starters. But mainly, BD Wong is just really good at portraying this guy who's public face is a calm, gifted psychotherapist professor or whatever he is supposed to be. When he's in public mode, he plays it very straight, and the audience loves it because we're all in on the joke. He's not dropping hints about his true nature as a mad scientist during these scenes where he's in full-on Professor Strange mode. Such winking at the audience would ruin the character. Even when he's madly scientisting, he's calm and collected most of the time. And, again, acting!

Crazy Babs... well I'm not a fan of Babs at all, but Crazy Babs I can deal with in small doses. But that is only because they dropped the Season 1 soap opera bullshit completely and made her character less of a one-dimensional impersonation of a real human woman. Now, she's nuts, and she actually isn't doing that bad of a job acting the part of the crazy sexy lady. Given her character's story arc so far, it also makes a little sense that she's unhinged.

Also, they're not 100% nuts 100% of the time: Penguin is cuckoo for killinpuffs, but most of the time, he's just a super-smart guy making fairly logical decisions about how to proceed. And when he's doing that, he's not speaking in a ridiculous, melodramatic manner, which Fish is always doing 100% of the time. (I bet when she snores, it's dramatic and drawn-out.) And the same goes for Nygma--he's not always cackling and telling riddles. Babs plays her crazy at all times now, but most of the time, or at least when it needs to be, she keeps it right under the surface. But Fish Mooney? She's always on, and always turned up to 10. And now, she's morphed into the character who will always escape, ready to foil our heroes next time... and that's cheap.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

What happend to Freeze and Firefly after they stopped to look at frosty-singed Strange?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Angel posted:

What happend to Freeze and Firefly after they stopped to look at frosty-singed Strange?

They shook hands and left.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

They shook hands and left.

No, they attempted to merge and imploded from having what was essentially matter and anti-matter impacting.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

No, they attempted to merge and imploded from having what was essentially matter and anti-matter impacting.

I would not hold it against him if the brooding doctor had a side piece while he tried to bring his wife back. He's a human and also a villain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SyRauk posted:

Could be a twist on Hush?

It's probably Hush, he has a thing where he looks like Bruce under the bandages.

The Fish thing was extra annoying because the episode really felt like it could have used some extra time that she sucked up with her terribleness.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

muscles like this? posted:

It's probably Hush, he has a thing where he looks like Bruce under the bandages.

The Fish thing was extra annoying because the episode really felt like it could have used some extra time that she sucked up with her terribleness.

Didn't Tommy Elliot get a kicking from Bruce in s1?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It feels like they're setting up a time jump with Gordon leaving for a while.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After that last remark I hope Gordon and Bullock exchange haircut/beard styles

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With the Court of Owls, didn't they (re)introduce Bruce having a brother that his parents never told him about that grew up in a medical institution? The kid being Thomas Wayne Jr. is maybe a thing in the Gotham universe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JediTalentAgent posted:

With the Court of Owls, didn't they (re)introduce Bruce having a brother that his parents never told him about that grew up in a medical institution? The kid being Thomas Wayne Jr. is maybe a thing in the Gotham universe.

Is complicated enough without all this evil twin bullshit having.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

muscles like this? posted:

The Fish thing is annoying because she (both the character and the actress) really bring nothing to the show but they keep showing back up.

I even semi-like crazy Barbara now, but Fish, Fish just stinks.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just binged through the last 4 episodes of the season. I can honestly say that the most fun thing in the whole season was seeing Penguin and Butch show up to blow Theo to hell; it was just perfect and I had to laugh and cheer for Penguin, once again, saving the day. Penguin is the absolute best character in the show. Of course, my joy and excitement for the show was all swept away when, in the very next episode, the character everyone in this thread loves to hate is brought back from the dead. I also enjoyed how Barbara had to be the one that clued everyone in on the fact that wasn't Jim. I do hope that Theo's sister is going to be on next season as Butch's girlfriend and a Penguin assassin. I also liked how you could see the wheels turning in Bruce's head as he watched Azrael jump around, dodging bullets and escaping the police; you just knew he was thinking that he could do that. Added bonus, I like how they continue to stoke the friendship between Bruce and Selena. When are they gonna finally give Poison Ivy her own character arc and what the gently caress happened to Mr. Freeze and Firefly; Jim, Lucius, Selena and Bruce show up and Freeze and Firefly just hangout, listening to Jim interrogate Dr. Strange and then, nothing, who the hell knows where they went?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That scene annoyed me so much when Gordon shot him a few times and he fell down. He took/dodged/ignored like five thousand bullets in the past few episodes, and then finally Jim shoots him. I was so irritated with the way it was playing out. And then Penguin and Butch made everything better. So much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The best scene was Penguin/Barbra decorating the house and Butch being WTF the entire time.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

The best scene was Penguin/Barbra decorating the house and Butch being WTF the entire time.

I appreciate that Penguin is starting to accumulate the Arkham strays. I imagine he'll tell Ed to gently caress off because Ed essentially did the same to him, but I can see him taking in some of the others and using them to take out Fish....again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just when the show seemed to be getting on track:

http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/sex-sells-foxs-gotham-is-recasting-poison-ivy

Guess 14 year Clare Foley just wasn't getting sexy enough for them

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

She's also not a super strong actress, unfortunately.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's also not a super strong actress, unfortunately.

She's on par with the other kids on Gotham, and more interesting than a few of the adults, too (Morena Baccarin, whoever played Galavan's sister)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Davros1 posted:

Why do they keep trying to ruin this show all the loving time.

• Locked thread