Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AgentSythe posted:

do not play cards in your burn deck that do not deal damage to your opponent

No Mountains, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

No Mountains, got it

only manlands and barbarian rings

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

No Mountains, got it

As a Burn player, I'm torn between applause and rolling my eyes at this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GoutPatrol posted:

No Mountains, got it

With no lands, might as well put a breakfast burrito mainboard plan in there and shoot them in the face with trisk. That's my favorite version of legacy burn anyway.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my favorite version of burn is belcher

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sigma-X posted:

Gamble was never part of that cycle (there just wasn't a red one, because wizards), and so I could see them changing Personal for Mystical since it's much more rare, despite being worse.

Some Numbers posted:

It's true, Gamble puts the card in your hand.

Also, all the card types that existed at the time were covered by Enlightened, Mystical and Worldly.

They could make a new red tutor that gets a planeswalker but that doesn't feel very red, right?

I was thinking of a cycle of "Pay 1 colored mana to tutor for something", I know Gamble wasn't printed alongside the rest of those.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

my favorite version of burn is belcher

I find that too quick for me. I like the slow burn of a trisk along with the extra cushion of more burn against lifegain.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

C-Euro posted:

I was thinking of a cycle of "Pay 1 colored mana to tutor for something", I know Gamble wasn't printed alongside the rest of those.

I actually agree, I've always considered Gamble to be the red member of that cycle, but it's definitely not.

Just like Young Pyromancer is not a cycle with Dark Confidant and Snapcaster.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Are you trying to start poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some Numbers posted:

Watch them reprint it at rare in the next Modern Masters set

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So caught up on the end of the SoI plot stuff and...

Sorin is just kind of a loving dick. Like I think that was the one chance to actually give the guy some semblance of decency, but no, just pretty irredeemably a loving dick. The worst part is I'm not sure I was intentionally meant to think Sorin was a childish dickhead. I think I'm supposed to see Sorin as a man who is forced to do something he doesn't want to do. Seeing as it's an Uncharted Realms article, I'll lean on the side of "Bad Writing" rather than "This was totally intentional"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I actually agree, I've always considered Gamble to be the red member of that cycle, but it's definitely not.

Yeah it's an honorary member.

Pyromancer completed the cycle of stoneforge, goyf, confidant, Snapcaster.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah it's an honorary member.

Pyromancer completed the cycle of stoneforge, goyf, confidant, Snapcaster.

Sort of but it just isn't quite good enough. I'd gladly have it be mythic and the tokens have either haste or prowess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you trying to start poo poo

It's true

Young Peezy is not comparable to Bob or Tiago

they're way better

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

Sort of but it just isn't quite good enough. I'd gladly have it be mythic and the tokens have either haste or prowess.

Am I being loving trolled

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

:agreed:
I would play this in my UWR control deck in modern because it is good. Instead we have a lovely red one.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Then it fits the red color definition of not being as good as the others. Creative rejected this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

Then it fits the red color definition of not being as good as the others. Creative rejected this.

I think my favorite thing about old magic is basically "does thing [other colors] does, but worse." Is reds sthick.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Samael posted:

But DRS doesn't die to doom blade? :confused:

You got me. Planeswalkers don't die to Ultimate Price then.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Wow so many bad opinions re young peezy. They had better be reposts from mtgsalvation.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

where's the ghost man art wizards

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

You got me. Planeswalkers don't die to Ultimate Price then.

Ummm... You're so close. Try another 2 mana removal black removal spell. Maybe one from Mirrodin?

EDIT: on second reading, are you trying to say DRS is a planeswalker?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 24, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Vampiric Tutor

I think this one's an art upgrade.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Vampiric Tutor

This is the best art in years

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

They're never going to reprint planeswalkers in Standard because ~*~ flavour reasons~*~ now that core sets are gone. Get used to it. Never even mind power level considerations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Vampiric Tutor

That's loving sweet

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Onmi posted:

So caught up on the end of the SoI plot stuff and...

Sorin is just kind of a loving dick. Like I think that was the one chance to actually give the guy some semblance of decency, but no, just pretty irredeemably a loving dick. The worst part is I'm not sure I was intentionally meant to think Sorin was a childish dickhead. I think I'm supposed to see Sorin as a man who is forced to do something he doesn't want to do. Seeing as it's an Uncharted Realms article, I'll lean on the side of "Bad Writing" rather than "This was totally intentional"

its almost like black is the color of evil or something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Gensuki posted:

Ummm... You're so close. Try another 2 mana removal black removal spell. Maybe one from Mirrodin?

Terror also cannot hit planeswalkers, that's true. What about that slightly more expensive version of Terror that could also bury artifact creatures?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Dark Banishing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
loving lol Worldgorger Dragon is a mythic. Red gets the worst mythics.

Some Numbers posted:

Dark Banishing.

A suitable answer for planeswalkers and DRS.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

loving lol Worldgorger Dragon is a mythic. Red gets the worst mythics.

A suitable answer for planeswalkers and DRS.

"What's old and powerful that could be considered a Red Mythic?"

"WORLDGORGER DRAGON WAS BUSTED!"

"YEAH ALRIGHT SURE!"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Terror also cannot hit planeswalkers, that's true. What about that slightly more expensive version of Terror that could also bury artifact creatures?

Terror can target Gideon and Sarkhan what are you talking about

Gensuki posted:

EDIT: on second reading, are you trying to say DRS is a planeswalker?

Hmm, maybe Death Rattle????????

I'm making a joke by listing spells that do not actually kill Deathrite Shaman and saying that they do kill Deathrite Shaman.

It was an incredibly subtle joke.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Friendly reminder that the Red Mythic Slot that is Worldgorger Dragon could've very easily been Imperial Recruiter what the gently caress WotC

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

Friendly reminder that the Red Mythic Slot that is Worldgorger Dragon could've very easily been Imperial Recruiter what the gently caress WotC

Hey there is the mythic I will pull 6 times and no others. I wondered which comet storm red would get.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Recruiter will be rare, don't worry.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Count Bleck posted:

Or wheel of fortune which would feel slightly less terrible.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Or wheel of fortune which would feel slightly less terrible.

Let me tell you about a little thing called the reserved list.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"Every good card has to be printed at mythic goddammit"
"Why aren't red cards more important, emotionally I am troubled by the perceived power levels of their mythic"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Recruiter will be rare, don't worry.

I can only hope. I actually want to build Painter Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Terese Nielsen Control Magic

• Locked thread