Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
As an owner of both dt2 and stranger, I'm actually having more fun with stranger despite it being the harder of the two.

Might help that the apparently low level cap and the customization in stranger is more appealing to me.

Edit: how the hell do I keep page sniping in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone play Trails of Cold Steel on both Vita/PS3 and have thoughts?

And duh, of course the PS3 graphics will be better.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vita version has crappy frame rates at times and worse load times. Neither are that bad though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Poor Nanako Dojima had to become a soldier in Fire Emblem Fates because there's no more Persona 4 spinoffs :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone play Trails of Cold Steel on both Vita/PS3 and have thoughts?

And duh, of course the PS3 graphics will be better.

While the framerate on the Vita gets bad in towns when tons of NPCs are on screen at the same time, it's fine, you get used to it. Loading times before/after battles are the best thing about the PS3 version, really.

On the other hand this thing is huuuuuuuge, 100 hours huge. Not the sort of thing I'd play on a console, though YMMV.

Megalixir posted:

Cold Steel II literally has a social link leveling system for all party members including Sara

Hurray!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, I have both versions on hold at two different GS. Just not sure which to pick up. Both are the Lionheart version and the Vita one is a few bucks more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're certain you can spend 80 hours in front of your PS3, get the PS3 version. I got the Vita version since there's no way I can finish a JRPG that isn't on a handheld.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I, like many people, have been successfully indoctrinated by Japan into believing JRPGs belong on handhelds. This is why I plan to Remote Play Persona 5.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm having way too much fun with Bhikkhuni's Dressing Room

Countdown to vitatxt twitter

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It is a good point. OTOH, I did just finish Ni No Kuni and didn't really have a problem with it.

The earlier Legend of Heroes games are Vita only which makes me want some consistency, even though I haven't played any of them. Really, I just have a $25 gift card for GS that I want to get rid of. I almost never buy anything there and this is a game that does not look like it will drop in price by much. I could see it on a Flash sale for $20 at some point, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Countdown to vitatxt twitter

https://twitter.com/vita_thread_txt

e; unless you're counting down to it tweeting D_T's post. :v:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

waah posted:

It's like I never left the Vita thread. Anime girls with tramp stamps.

Seriously though I need a new Dungeon Crawler and it's between Dungeon Travellers 2 and Stanger in Sword City. I enjoyed Demon Gaze a lot so I know what I am getting into here with current day niche JRPGs.

Is one definitely better than the other? I really am leaning towards Stranger, but there's not a lot of critical talk about either.

DT2 has a lot more content to plow through but as mentioned it's fanservicey as gently caress and it had some subevents that genuinely made me uncomfortable with it. So if that's not your thing, avoid it. The guts are very good on it however if you can tolerate being weirded out sometimes. Or hilariously inappropriate armor.

Sword City can be fairly hard and if you don't know what you're doing it can do some really mean poo poo to you but if you've played dungeon crawlers (especially an EXP Inc one like you have) you pretty much know what to expect. It's not as Anime as Demon Gaze is unless you use the poorly fitting character models (I get it's Japan or whatever but those pastels and light colors REALLY do not work in a gritty, darker setting) which I liked and honestly it's probably my favorite of Exp Inc's DRPGs closely followed by Operation Abyss. There are some frustrating parts but it's a pretty satisfying 30-40 hour average playthrough and NG+ is actually a somewhat useful tool to see the other parts of the story you missed rather than feeling stapled on like it did in Demon Gaze. There's even cool ranking boards if you're into that too.

So basically if you're interested in both I'd get Sword City first since DT2 is frequently on sale if you're patient enough. It PROBABLY won't go on sale again anytime soon since it was just on sale but I'm sure it will be again in a couple of months.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cake Attack posted:

ive heard better things about DT2 although there's way more fanservice there if you care at all

ImpAtom posted:

DT2 is a lot more accessible (and I'd argue better) but also a lot heavier on the fanservice and frequently the creepy type so YMMV.

InfinityComplex posted:

As an owner of both dt2 and stranger, I'm actually having more fun with stranger despite it being the harder of the two.

Might help that the apparently low level cap and the customization in stranger is more appealing to me.

Edit: how the hell do I keep page sniping in here

Stanos posted:

DT2 has a lot more content to plow through but as mentioned it's fanservicey as gently caress and it had some subevents that genuinely made me uncomfortable with it. So if that's not your thing, avoid it. The guts are very good on it however if you can tolerate being weirded out sometimes. Or hilariously inappropriate armor.

Sword City can be fairly hard and if you don't know what you're doing it can do some really mean poo poo to you but if you've played dungeon crawlers (especially an EXP Inc one like you have) you pretty much know what to expect. It's not as Anime as Demon Gaze is unless you use the poorly fitting character models (I get it's Japan or whatever but those pastels and light colors REALLY do not work in a gritty, darker setting) which I liked and honestly it's probably my favorite of Exp Inc's DRPGs closely followed by Operation Abyss. There are some frustrating parts but it's a pretty satisfying 30-40 hour average playthrough and NG+ is actually a somewhat useful tool to see the other parts of the story you missed rather than feeling stapled on like it did in Demon Gaze. There's even cool ranking boards if you're into that too.

So basically if you're interested in both I'd get Sword City first since DT2 is frequently on sale if you're patient enough. It PROBABLY won't go on sale again anytime soon since it was just on sale but I'm sure it will be again in a couple of months.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will try Stranger first if for no other reason than DT2 going on sale more often. Once Demon Gaze gave me a scene of a cat girl sniffing underwear, I realized I just have accept my Vita fate.

I draw the line at Criminal Girls, so if DT2 gets that bad, then I will have to pass on it.

As far as difficulty in DRPGs, the harder the better so I am excited about it.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

waah posted:

I draw the line at Criminal Girls, so if DT2 gets that bad, then I will have to pass on it.

DT2 is incredibly fanservicy but nothing like CG. That exists in a tier of its own.

DT2 is also a legit good game instead of a terrible rpg wrapped around a loli torture sim.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Looks like Hori is finally making a Vita 2000 grip: http://www.hori.jp/products/pv/pv_remote_grip/

Anyone use these grip things? There's so many that I don't even know where to start.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I got the Joetsu L2/R2 grip and it's definitely nice, even if it cost me a fortune to import. I have big hands, so it makes the Vita a lot more comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, and the second shoulder buttons are very nice for playing PSX games.

Keep in mind that a lot of the grips are just a plastic shell that fattens the Vita up slightly, the draw with the Joetsu grip (and now this Hori one) is getting the extra buttons.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Toukiden 2 demo is now up in the japanese PStore. Size is 1.6 GB

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I got the Joetsu L2/R2 grip and it's definitely nice, even if it cost me a fortune to import. I have big hands, so it makes the Vita a lot more comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, and the second shoulder buttons are very nice for playing PSX games.

Keep in mind that a lot of the grips are just a plastic shell that fattens the Vita up slightly, the draw with the Joetsu grip (and now this Hori one) is getting the extra buttons.

i also have the joetsu and buyer beware, the r2/l2 are garbage on it. i doubt the hori will be that great either but literally anything other than big flappy paddles with huge unnecessary pull distance that require fingers in an unnatural position would be an improvement.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's time for your tri-annual Freedom Wars sequel tease.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
looking forward to playing the PS4 version

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
for all the discussion about DT2's fanservice, i'd be ok with all of the anime booby scenes or whatever if the game just let us swap people's outfits to any class previously unlocked, because some of the characters have incredibly cool and unique outfits for some classes but then you change upwards into the more advanced version of that class and they fall into the dumpster outside of a textiles store.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Real hurthling! posted:

i also have the joetsu and buyer beware, the r2/l2 are garbage on it. i doubt the hori will be that great either but literally anything other than big flappy paddles with huge unnecessary pull distance that require fingers in an unnatural position would be an improvement.

Yeah I mostly want a grip that makes it feel more like a controller, don7t really care for the extra buttons but I guess it makes MGS HD less poo poo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Toukiden 2! It looks kinda sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqwzRrG7FXs

Atelier Firis has been announced in Dengeki PlayStation, according to early reports from Japan it is for PS4/Vita.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I tried the Toukiden demo. It's quite choppy and the graphics are massively downgraded from the original. Fighting the large gaki with three CPU members has the game really struggling.

The open world is an interesting idea but I'm finding it hard to see that much point in it when you can still just get missions from the quest desk anyway. The claw grab thing is just as fiddly as it was in the PS4 version too. I like how the bow feels though, and they beefed up the mitama system with lots of selectable and upgradable skills. The artwork is still excellent but the in game graphics are definitely no longer top tier for Vita.

Edit: in fairness, the PS4 version doesn't run great either.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 24, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

They work okay for me, and require the same grip as a Dualshock controller.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The new Atelier games, the ones on the PS4/PSvita - is there a significant difference between the platforms, or is it mostly Cyber Sleuth situation, in which the Vita version is the basis and at most you'll get a more stable framerate and upscaling for an infated price?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Szurumbur posted:

The new Atelier games, the ones on the PS4/PSvita - is there a significant difference between the platforms, or is it mostly Cyber Sleuth situation, in which the Vita version is the basis and at most you'll get a more stable framerate and upscaling for an infated price?

The second one. Sophie ran better than the Dusk trilogy on Vita but the PS4 version is a mostly fixed 60 and much nicer looking. The environments definitely seem downgraded compared to Dusk though, I suppose because they're designing them for Vita from the start.

I filled in the Toukiden survey on the Koei site and I actually ended up complaining a lot more than I thought I would.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Possible Steins;Gate 0 leak.
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/735161116871921664

So, anyone know if this is worse than the original?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's just add-on material, side stories and such.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

HGH posted:

I played it for about an hour, it's filled with spoilers and expects you to have beaten Steins;Gate first. Seriously, absolutely do not play 0 before the main game.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

HGH posted:

When it first came out in Japan I heard people saying it's actually better than the original, but I don't know if that was just early impressions or people that had finished the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Important robots update: whoever made Urotander's stepchart on Extreme needs shooting. It might be the most obnoxious in any diva game yet, even including the finale superhard tracks. At least you could theoretically do them first time, whereas Urotander has some straight-up gotchas you need to learn.

e: this is not new news or anything but now that I'm trying to gold-clear everything, holy poo poo gently caress that stage

e2: also good items mean it's super easy to gold-clear the final remix track but at least I got that loving chance time

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 25, 2016

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Stelas posted:

Important robots update: whoever made Urotander's stepchart on Extreme needs shooting. It might be the most obnoxious in any diva game yet, even including the finale superhard tracks. At least you could theoretically do them first time, whereas Urotander has some straight-up gotchas you need to learn.

e: this is not new news or anything but now that I'm trying to gold-clear everything, holy poo poo gently caress that stage

e2: also good items mean it's super easy to gold-clear the final remix track but at least I got that loving chance time

I recently played Urotander on extreme for the first time and couldn't stop laughing as I failed it. The whole song is about a sentai squad that'll do anything to win, so of course the notechart straight up cheats by stacking notes in the same spot, putting targets at the edge of the screen so you can't see the note coming, and having notes fly in at light speed.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Don't get me wrong - I think it's inspired.

But, at the same time, gently caress that thing.

On the whole I'm really not all that sad that the game's missing story PVs. The routines and the step tracks are polished far more than any other Diva game and it's probably the one I've enjoyed the most overall. The gatcha kinda sucks, but there's enough ways to weight it that you can get around that.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if the PSP Capcom Classics arcade collections are playable on Vita? The store page says PSP only, but I'm wondering if I could transfer it over via PS3 etc.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I don't have the guide I bookmarked handy but I believe that's one of those games like Valkyrie Chronicles 2 where you have to do the PS3 -> Vita transfer which I find annoying. I bought both of those and had to go to my brother's house and grab his old PS3 to load them on.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Steins;Gate 0 is coming overseas.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yokatta

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Another potentially dumb question: I have a savegame on my hacked PSP for Alundra. The game itself is a legit purchase and on my PSN account. Is there a simple way to transfer the save to my vita? Simple like draggin the file over via PC or do I again have to use the PS3 as an intermediary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The people that worked on the first one are saying 5pb are doing this in house, which makes me wonder how it'll turn out.