Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my heart goes out to anyone who's really into a moba. we'll get through this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm a little more confident in Overwatch being alive in a year than the average multiplayer game since it's Blizzard and people love Blizzard. Battleborn seems to be dead on arrival.
I wonder what's going to become of Gearbox. Battleborn has both Doom and Overwatch teaming up to eat its lunch in every conceivable way, that Duke 3D 20th Anniversary re-release they're apparently doing to avoid paying the developers of the previous re-release any royalties looks to be a bit of a trainwreck (duke_nukem_saying_bazinga.wav), everyone seems to be a little bit burned out on Borderlands after the Pre-Sequel, and I doubt they'll be able to have much luck getting licensed gigs after what happened on Aliens.

It's gonna be an interesting couple of years ahead.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In Training posted:

How did heroes of the storm do? I don't really follow MOBAs at all because they're purestrain AIDS but has that stuck around?

Judging by reliable statistics data that are the number of people lurking in MOBA reddits, HotS is tailing far behind DotA2 and LoL, but still probably has something like two hundred thousand active players.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should dissolve because all of their games suck rear end lol.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I liked Tales from the Borderlands, but it was made by Telltale and I've never played original games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

oddium posted:

my heart goes out to anyone who's really into a moba. we'll get through this

I've been invited to HotS since it was in alpha and have maybe bought 10 total heroes with gold. I can handle maybe 1-2 games before wanting to kill myself and this is in the ultra casual no bad vibes MOBA. Everything in these games seems elegantly designed to bring out the worst aspects of humanity.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I liked Tales from the Borderland, but it was made by Telltale and I've never played original games.
Does not count as a Gearbox game.

I honestly want more Borderlands or likewise multiplayer FPS RPGs cause the second game was pretty fun to go through local co-op.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO it is very fun to get some chill friends together and just relax while fighting against bots and poo poo in mobas while we talk to each other about stuff, but a lot of that fun goes away if you are playing with a person who is screaming at you the entire time

moral: play multiplayer games with people you like who will not get so angry and frustrated that you aren't playing optimally that they start screaming at you. instead, try playing with people who are nice, and chill, and will not shout at you for something like that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nobody wants to first person shoot borderlands anymore, but what if it were a netflix original series. that's right. Handsome Jack is back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The real solution is to only play 1v1 multiplayer games

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was roped into playing DC's Infinite Crisis by a friend one time and the game shut down before I could play a game that wasn't bot matches

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

Nobody is going to remember either in half a year so play one now while there's still an active player base

yeah just like all those other Blizzard games that died after a year, lol.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I was roped into playing DC's Infinite Crisis by a friend one time and the game shut down before I could play a game that wasn't bot matches

my condolences to every developer who has had to work on a MOBA title that was doomed to fail because it was trying to chase the LoL/Dota 2 moneytrain

I'm glad the nosgoth devs have been able to find success with rocket league tho

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah just like all those other Blizzard games that died after a year, lol.

rip Lost Vikings

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnldxUpYQQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FirstAidKite posted:

my condolences to every developer who has had to work on a MOBA title that was doomed to fail because it was trying to chase the LoL/Dota 2 moneytrain

rip Lost Vikings

My friend is working on a MOBA as we speak. He is still full of hope, bless him. He says investors give his team money and Koreans loved closed alpha, so maybe there is some niche market, I don't know.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

rip Lost Vikings

Blizzard should put the Lost Vikings into HOTS as some kind of stance-dance character that swaps between the three of them.

I never got into MOBAs. My genres of choice with weirdly intense/cult-like communites are fighting games and Monster Hunter.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Blizzard should put the Lost Vikings into HOTS as some kind of stance-dance character that swaps between the three of them.

I never got into MOBAs. My genres of choice with weirdly intense/cult-like communites are fighting games and Monster Hunter.

Lost Vikings are already in HotS tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

rip Lost Vikings

I don't feel bad for them because they're designing games to exploit extremely weak willed people, which is a lovely thing to do

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I would rather have a new Lost Vikings game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Lost Vikings are already in HotS tho

I had no idea :shobon:
That tells you how much I pay attention to MOBA news

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I don't feel bad for them because they're designing games to exploit extremely weak willed people, which is a lovely thing to do

in what way?

I figure the teams working on these games are likely big enough that the people doing the coding aren't necessarily the ones coming up with the ideas, just the ones that have to code them/draw them/orchestrate them. I thought it was all like publishers telling devs what to do :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm looking at the dota 2 heroes and tiny looks like the best one

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lol if somebody thinks that Overwatch will be gone in 6 months, just lol. I'm not saying that we'll all love it, probably the opposite but it will be another huge Blizzard thing with big playerbase and people spending thousands of dollars on virtual outfits.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

2018 supreme court unanimously rules to uphold the marriage between president sanders and tracer

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

I've genuinely loved the character design and general gameplay of Overwatch since the first trailer came out so I hope it does very well and has support for a long time

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i mean mercy has a pretty cool design but other than that ...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

D.Va's extremely cool and also the best

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Palpek posted:

Lol if somebody thinks that Overwatch will be gone in 6 months, just lol. I'm not saying that we'll all love it, probably the opposite but it will be another huge Blizzard thing with big playerbase and people spending thousands of dollars on virtual outfits.

Blizzard still updates Diablo 2 and 3 for god's sake. Their new TF2 clone that rose from the ashes of that huge Titan thing is going to be a Thing for a long, long time.

FirstAidKite posted:

I would rather have a new Lost Vikings game

Isn't that what Trine is? Those games were all boring as hell. Lost Vikings 2 still holds up, I wish they'd port the graphically superior / voiceover enabled "Norse By Norsewest" PC version to their client. I don't wanna have to use a PSX emulator to play that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
idk why but I just don't really like the character designs in overwatch

Like, they aren't bad, and they're well made, and I get why people would like them, but I just don't like them. I'm not really sure how to articulate it, because I wanna say they feel generic but that's not the right word...

It kinda feels like I'm looking at a dreamworks movie kinda

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Monster Factory is fantastic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Blizzard still updates Diablo 2 and 3 for god's sake. Their new TF2 clone that rose from the ashes of that huge Titan thing is going to be a Thing for a long, long time.

Isn't that what Trine is? Those games were all boring as hell. Lost Vikings 2 still holds up, I wish they'd port the graphically superior / voiceover enabled "Norse By Norsewest" PC version to their client. I don't wanna have to use a PSX emulator to play that

Trine had some similar puzzle-solving mechanics, but ultimately was very different.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

in what way?

I figure the teams working on these games are likely big enough that the people doing the coding aren't necessarily the ones coming up with the ideas, just the ones that have to code them/draw them/orchestrate them. I thought it was all like publishers telling devs what to do :shrug:

I personally wouldn't want to support something like that if I was a programmer but since I'm not I really don't know what their situation is. I just really dislike the entire design of free to play games, top to bottom.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, maybe I could see the risk if the game still needed development, gameplay was lacking etc. But it's launching fully featured and pretty polished, add the Blizzard brand on top and people will flock to it.

I'm not saying it will be a game for everybody but it's not going anywhere and won't be another multiplayer game dead a month after release or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trine is cool. Trine 3 is a pretty big disappointment though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I haven't played trine but I've heard the first two are good games except that they don't require as much character switching and that you can cheese a lot of levels by playing as just one of the characters (I forget which one though), and I've heard that trine 3 was just all around not a good game.

I never played norse by norsewest, only the original version of 2 and lost vikings 1 as well. They are both really fun puzzle games and I hope anybody who reads this and enjoys puzzle platforming games is inspired to seek out a copy of lost vikings 1 or 2 so that they can try it for themselves, as they are fun and good games :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In Training posted:

I personally wouldn't want to support something like that if I was a programmer but since I'm not I really don't know what their situation is. I just really dislike the entire design of free to play games, top to bottom.

Blizzard's F2P is really good, though. I haven't paid any money for any of their games and I've been enjoying Hearthstone since beta and played HotS for several months. Sure, some idiot may drop thousands just to buy all cards/heroes, but they would buy something equally stupid if the game wasn't there. Compared to stamina/crystals bullshit in match 3 mobile games, F2P in big games on PC or consoles is pretty fair.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Solo trine would probably be a bit too easy, but I had a blast playing through with friends with the limited mode on where you can't switch characters. It makes you really think about every new puzzle and how you're going to be successful with all 3 people.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I never got to play Lost Vikings after the first one but I get a a kick outta that "Norse by Norsewest" title. I'm easy to please :downs:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I thought that was just how every large game dev studio worked

Yeah free to play stuff can generally be pretty harmful when they actively fleece people just to do basic things, but I never got that feeling from dota 2. League, sure, since you have to unlock heroes in that and you can just pay to unlock them, and I think it had runes or whatever as well that you could pay money for?? I don't remember. but dota 2's cash shop stuff is just cosmetic I think so I don't really mind that, and it is neat that anybody can put a cosmetic mod up on the workshop to try to get people to vote for it to become an official part of the game and that they'll receive some kind of payment for it

My favorite free to play game tho is still dungeon fighter online. That is a game I should play more of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFZ7SACYQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWjkYyTPTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just don't like free to play because they're games made by a business department and not because anybody had a good idea for a fun game, which is just not interesting to me in the slightest.

• Locked thread