Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Wait what did I miss, your job is unstable now??

IllegallySober posted:

This was pretty much my thought too. If that's really how you feel about your pets, then you shouldn't have them. Just my opinion.
This was my feeling on it too... Poor animals :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Animals are good the plan would be/would have been to try some other stuff first.

Anyway I reflected a lot on this. My wife and I went for a nice walk along the river today with the boy on a whim while thinking about the "whys" of the RV trip.

What we came down to was:
- We don't feel like we live our lives much in the immediate. It's more about the "can't do this we need to save/payoff debt" ie a trip, and hell much smaller stuff. We feel like we end up at home a lot. We have the discretionary for some stuff but it's not used well.
- We've been craving outdoor stuff even if we don't realize it. We're going to start going on localish / 3-day weekend hikes, camping, bike rides. We both feel a need to get outside more and enjoy some nature. We really relax doing this. This is one thing northern Nevada does offer at least.
- We're both worried that because of what Horking mentioned (remote probably isn't the best way to proceed career wise), that we'll miss out on a very cool opportunity that we may never get another chance to do. We're both willing to put off long term goals for a year if that meant doing something like this. I think this goes back to living in the moment/immediate more than the precarious future.

Basically we need to stop worrying about the future so much and we need to start capitalizing on the now. We're both happy with our positions, but we're constrained. We had that $500 ticket come up and we had to eat our discretionary this month. We had day care mid-month suddenly go up in price pretty drastically and we had to spend more discretionary there. We ate at too many restaurants this month and with everything else poof money gone. Restaurants I hate. We need to stop eating at them and our financial limitations are practically gone. Easier said than done though.

So these things are big-picture small and temporary, but it's no surprise that we want a little freedom.

I feel like we make enough household income to live in the moment a little more. Why can't we do this? Like gently caress sometimes I just want to go grab a bike rack and hitch for the car and not analyze it endlessly, but I often end up in that situation. I analyze buying a loving garbage can sometimes. I know our finances are a lot better... but why do I feel like we have to live doing nothing? I understand that that's not true and we just need to plan, but it's how it feels. It's like what Aagar mentioned. It feels good hitting financial goals, but gently caress it sucks sitting here constantly not living. I mean like shoot when can I just go buy a book and not worry that it costs $12 or something?

All of this is the "why" of the RV trip. It's an opportunity presented that we may never get again, it's living life considering some of the immediate, it's freedom from much constraint, it's relative financial control month-to-month (to the expensive or to the frugal), it's getting some much needed outdoor time, it's quality time with the immediate family, and we're OK backlogging everything for a year.

All of that said... I really do like the idea of an RV trip, but for now I'm actually thinking of trying to integrate some of these emotional needs into our living situation. I've learned here that I really don't like neighbors (surprise right). I think a nice house bordering nature with some land between neighbors (just like 30+ feet would probably do it) would really fill a lot of this. I love the idea of an RV trip, but for now as mentioned there are other ways to fulfill those needs I think. Hikes, keeping our eye on the prize of a house that I would like (wife too of course but I'm speaking for myself), bike rides, outdoors, living the life we want.

Our short walk felt great today. We'll be doing more of that in the coming weeks and months as we used to. In June we're going to go buy a car hitch and a bike rack, we're going to plan some hikes and bike rides and camping for June, and we're going to do a trip for my birthday. We'll be saving what we can for the birthday trip we're aiming for $900 and hopefully it costs less. But if it doesn't then hey it's there.

I'll reply individually to the previous posts asking questions soon - I wanted to get this out here. It helps me to write it down if nothing else.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Part of being an adult with caring responsibilities for a child is that your life isn't 100% your own, and you can no longer live 100% for today. You can indulge in rv/camping, but you're going to have to trade that off against other discretionary income opportunities and choose what you'd prefer to spend your money and time on, and taking a whole year off is not likely within the scope of responsible actions you can take now or in the near future.

Sometimes the most that you can do is prioritise as much as you can within your boundaries.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014
Two things you should probably be aware of:

1. Spring/summer changes make people want to buy stuff.
2. There's something like a mid-life crisis that occurs around 30. People start thinking about missed opportunities and where they thought they'd be at this age and what kinds of life experiences they're missing out on. They consider making major life changes to get their life "back on track" or "re-connect with themselves."

My guess is that both of those things are having an effect on you right now. That's okay, just be extra careful to plan things out in advance.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did you coincidentally go outside and do stuff and realized you wanted to do that now or did talking about the RV trip make you want to get outside?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Camping and hiking is cheap, fun and greatly adds to the joy of life. An RV doesn't necessarily do so and is a lot more expensive. Certainly rent one and find out how you like it before even considering living in one.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
An RV gets you outside less and costs more than a tent.

Digging out of a hole is super taxing on patience and will never be easy, but remember that "living in the now" is the mindset that past you worked in that accrued all the debt that present you is now trying to slay. If you can keep at paying it down then all of the budget you're dedicating to principal and interest frees up to do what you like with it once its all paid off.

Restaurants loving up your budget is not new. Can you create an outlet for the desire for restaurants that coaligns with your debt paydown goals?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
To me, it seems that the underlying theme of your new freedom kick is the same conflict as always in your thread, it boils down to you not thinking you have enough discretionary money to have the freedom to do and buy what you'd like. And why don't you have the money to do what you'd like? You spent money you didn't have in the past or you spend money in the present unwisely (smoking, breaking leases to move, speeding ticket(s)) or you're just not preparing for expenses well enough.

I'm not claiming that you aren't making progress, because you are. I just think you're unhappy because you think "I make twice what I used to, but now I have all these responsibilities and I can't do fun stuff". I don't know what to tell you, you have a kid and a wife and debt repayment and finite resources. It's a simple math formula with no cheat codes. You have enough money to make steady progress, but that's not "fun".

It seems to me like you're a dreamer. You have no problems coming up with the "what would be really awesome is if...." ideas with little to no planning and follow through. I have those moments constantly, but I'm firmly rooted in reality (or risk averse or really boring or whatever) and bring myself back. My wife and I make a solid middle class living, probably around the same as you and your wife. But since our poo poo has been together for quite a while, we can afford our modest house with a 15 year mortgage, have our kids in daycare, save modestly for retirement / kid's education, and still have money to do some fun things with. Sure, I would love to buy a new truck and ATV and shed and renovate our kitchen and basement and add on to our back porch and new windows and siding and a detached garage. And we could do some of those right now, with cash, but that's not our plan and we might end up where we don't want to be because of one of those bad decisions.

A couple of months ago when you came back in earnest wanting to do better I argued that your "big pile of discretionary" money was not the way to do it, though I said it it works for you that's fine. While it certainly makes things more flexible for you, it's going to be much easier to kick you in the balls when you have multiple of these random expenses in a couple months time. You're not going to have any "you" money left over and you're going to feel resentful and pouty and helpless. I've said it many times but I think careful planning is the best stress-reducer I've had personally, it let's me know exactly where we're at and what we can afford to do and what we can't afford to do. We're by no means perfect and unexpected things still come up, but that just means we'll be better prepared for it next time. It gives real, tangible data instead of projecting "well if we save all of our discretionary budget throughout the year, we can buy a house AND an RV!!!"

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

dreesemonkey posted:

To me, it seems that the underlying theme of your new freedom kick is the same conflict as always in your thread, it boils down to you not thinking you have enough discretionary money to have the freedom to do and buy what you'd like. And why don't you have the money to do what you'd like? You spent money you didn't have in the past or you spend money in the present unwisely (smoking, breaking leases to move, speeding ticket(s)) or you're just not preparing for expenses well enough.

I'm not claiming that you aren't making progress, because you are. I just think you're unhappy because you think "I make twice what I used to, but now I have all these responsibilities and I can't do fun stuff". I don't know what to tell you, you have a kid and a wife and debt repayment and finite resources. It's a simple math formula with no cheat codes. You have enough money to make steady progress, but that's not "fun".

It seems to me like you're a dreamer. You have no problems coming up with the "what would be really awesome is if...." ideas with little to no planning and follow through. I have those moments constantly, but I'm firmly rooted in reality (or risk averse or really boring or whatever) and bring myself back. My wife and I make a solid middle class living, probably around the same as you and your wife. But since our poo poo has been together for quite a while, we can afford our modest house with a 15 year mortgage, have our kids in daycare, save modestly for retirement / kid's education, and still have money to do some fun things with. Sure, I would love to buy a new truck and ATV and shed and renovate our kitchen and basement and add on to our back porch and new windows and siding and a detached garage. And we could do some of those right now, with cash, but that's not our plan and we might end up where we don't want to be because of one of those bad decisions.

A couple of months ago when you came back in earnest wanting to do better I argued that your "big pile of discretionary" money was not the way to do it, though I said it it works for you that's fine. While it certainly makes things more flexible for you, it's going to be much easier to kick you in the balls when you have multiple of these random expenses in a couple months time. You're not going to have any "you" money left over and you're going to feel resentful and pouty and helpless. I've said it many times but I think careful planning is the best stress-reducer I've had personally, it let's me know exactly where we're at and what we can afford to do and what we can't afford to do. We're by no means perfect and unexpected things still come up, but that just means we'll be better prepared for it next time. It gives real, tangible data instead of projecting "well if we save all of our discretionary budget throughout the year, we can buy a house AND an RV!!!"

The nugget I find in this post that I really identify with is that I get a lot of satisfaction out of having a short term plan (my monthly YNAB Rule 4 budget) that I execute on and consistently execute well on. That short term plan is crafted such that it fits into my long term plans for FI ($X go to mortgage principal reduction to accelerate my payoff, $Y go to brokerage account deposit to hopefully get some decent capital gains). My long term plans thus get enabled and are realistic beyond just something to dream about.

I bought my house in late '08 and got a 6.75% mortgage with about 3% down. That rate is terrible today, and the equity I brought was terrible when I bought. I'm paying a lot of interest every month because of it. I could get a fixed 20 year from my CU for 3.00%, but they'll only refinance a mortgage with 20% or more equity. I've been hitting the principal aggressively since January 2015 and am finally past 20% equity. That was a lot of huge checks to write, and I still have to get a favorable appraisal so that the owed balance and the appraisal line up so the refi can work. But it started with monthly budgeting to pummel down the principal.

When I wrote those checks that was a lot of discretionary money going into something with no near term payoff (it still hasn't paid off and I'll have to pay $3-400 just for the privilege to find out if it did!), but knowing that it was going to cut down the amount of interest I shelled out to a bank every month once completed helped me find it rewarding. Cutting that interest will help me dedicate more to FI over the long term.

It all started with being able to focus on executing near term goals and understanding how they fit into a longer term plan.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Does your credit union not give you checks for free? Weird.

Anyways:

I think (I phonepost this thread a lot so I might be misremembering/misreading) I saw your original timeline being "do this in a year, for a year", which imo is almost comically infeasible (3+ years from now is less bad, but your ability to execute on long-term plans is iffy so I'd be cautious) and really reflective of "did not fully consider how I was going to get to this point".

However, I think a road trip for your 30th birthday party is a great plan and honestly when I read your post about it I started getting a little excited on your behalf.

You should try rolling over your discretionary to save up for that now! The more you save, the more you can spend on your road trip! I think it'd be a great way to celebrate a birthday, and you can start guesstimating a budget now (maybe several, depending on meeting different savings goals).

Here's some reasons why I like this birthday trip idea:

You know you need (emotionally) to do something special for your birthday.

Your birthday is several months from now, which gives you time to plan/budget.

It's a vacation, not an entire lifestyle change, and you've not had a vacation in a while, right?

You get practice living with your entire family in a tin box (in case your long-term goal remains towards that).

It won't be too hard to "upgrade" parts of your planned trip if you save more than the original budget (a nicer dinner place or buying some gifts for family if you save an extra 100 of discretionary this month that you keep for this trip, for example).

Do you have an idea yet about how much you want to budget for this trip (roughly)? How are you going to save for it?

Also you're not going to easily find a place to work that's fulltime remote AND has room for you to learn/grow. That's really rare, because teams work best if they're physically in the same location (or at least the same time zone), and the best way to learn from teammates is to be around them and communicating with them a lot.

I think a full-time remote job is not the best choice for your career (for your next position -- this one's already a dead end and you're the only dev so who cares). That being said, I do think a full remote setup will be good for your happiness and you really are making enough to be comfortable if you get out of debt and control your spending better, so I don't really care. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Agree on the vacation for the 30th. Yeah a vacation would be nice for sure. I want to get out of dodge for a bit.

Trip budget - I was thinking $900 if possible. We'll aim for that and if we come in lower then we'll just adjust plans a bit. I wish we had started earlier, but hey I'm glad we're starting at all.

Remote stuff - yeah that's kind of why I like the idea of capitalizing on the RV trip. Opportunity having knocked...

Breetai posted:

Part of being an adult with caring responsibilities for a child is that your life isn't 100% your own, and you can no longer live 100% for today. You can indulge in rv/camping, but you're going to have to trade that off against other discretionary income opportunities and choose what you'd prefer to spend your money and time on, and taking a whole year off is not likely within the scope of responsible actions you can take now or in the near future.

Sometimes the most that you can do is prioritise as much as you can within your boundaries.

I was planning on working remotely during the trip. I wouldn't have been taking a year off.

Zanthia posted:

Two things you should probably be aware of:

1. Spring/summer changes make people want to buy stuff.
2. There's something like a mid-life crisis that occurs around 30. People start thinking about missed opportunities and where they thought they'd be at this age and what kinds of life experiences they're missing out on. They consider making major life changes to get their life "back on track" or "re-connect with themselves."

My guess is that both of those things are having an effect on you right now. That's okay, just be extra careful to plan things out in advance.

Yeah the weather probably helps hah. It's finally been getting nice, though we were going to go over the pass this weekend to visit my wife's family and of course it snowed and I-80 was shut down both directions.

Veskit posted:

Did you coincidentally go outside and do stuff and realized you wanted to do that now or did talking about the RV trip make you want to get outside?

Both. We took a drive to talk about the whys of the RV stuff, I spontaneously drove us to a river park for a walk so we could continue talking about it, and we realized some stuff.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Camping and hiking is cheap, fun and greatly adds to the joy of life. An RV doesn't necessarily do so and is a lot more expensive. Certainly rent one and find out how you like it before even considering living in one.

Well the RV wouldn't be super expensive. Motor home we could find sub $10,000, and figure a year of no rent. Add in Technomadia's average of RV Parks being like $500-$600/mo and it's not too much of a difference. $1,433/mo over a 1 year period.

But I don't want to argue that point right now. Yeah we need some camping and hiking. We'll be making plans for June.

dreesemonkey posted:

See the RV thing doesn't come down to money though. I was doing my best to look at it outside the scope of finances, since some people do this on like $1,000 a month or something crazy. In fact I saw/see it as a way to cheat the FI part of the 10-15 years of work.

The discretionary pile is nice. But yeah it has kicked us in the balls especially this month. As I stated above the out of the blue randomly higher day care (like $150 more), the car re-registration, etc.

I'm still not writing it off though. We'll need to continue to look at the balancing act of "how would this put off our long term goals" vs "how much contentment would this provide". I don't feel like we're trying to pioneer something here. Digital Nomading is something that is non-traditional, but I keep seeing it when it comes to remote workers. I was looking at desks for remote work yesterday to see how other people did their offices, and a few were low and behold listed as "nomad".

Now I'd understand the craziness more if we had to keep up a mortgage while doing it, or if I was going to quit my job and drift for a year. Luckily for now we're still relatively flexible.

House stuff - I mentioned this yesterday and yeah a cool house would be worth the RV trip. We saw a house on the river (way out of our price range) and I mentioned I wouldn't think twice between the trip and a home like that I'd take the home. That's why I got into the house near nature stuff that would be bad rear end.

Enigma: tax stuff - my boss is downsizing his office to just a single room for himself. He was looking at bigger places but this is why I wanted to get ahold of him so quickly. I should be able to get the write off after he moves buildings. Been meaning to get to this post.

Anyway so the plan is the same. We will be trying to cut discretionary costs to get out of debt quicker. What we do after that is up in the air, but whatever it is I know we'll make the right decision for us. In the meantime we will begin to start living a bit more in the present without neglecting our mid-range goals. We just need to choose what to spend discretionary money on more wisely.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The nugget I find in this post that I really identify with is that I get a lot of satisfaction out of having a short term plan (my monthly YNAB Rule 4 budget) that I execute on and consistently execute well on. That short term plan is crafted such that it fits into my long term plans for FI ($X go to mortgage principal reduction to accelerate my payoff, $Y go to brokerage account deposit to hopefully get some decent capital gains). My long term plans thus get enabled and are realistic beyond just something to dream about.

I bought my house in late '08 and got a 6.75% mortgage with about 3% down. That rate is terrible today, and the equity I brought was terrible when I bought. I'm paying a lot of interest every month because of it. I could get a fixed 20 year from my CU for 3.00%, but they'll only refinance a mortgage with 20% or more equity. I've been hitting the principal aggressively since January 2015 and am finally past 20% equity. That was a lot of huge checks to write, and I still have to get a favorable appraisal so that the owed balance and the appraisal line up so the refi can work. But it started with monthly budgeting to pummel down the principal.

When I wrote those checks that was a lot of discretionary money going into something with no near term payoff (it still hasn't paid off and I'll have to pay $3-400 just for the privilege to find out if it did!), but knowing that it was going to cut down the amount of interest I shelled out to a bank every month once completed helped me find it rewarding. Cutting that interest will help me dedicate more to FI over the long term.

It all started with being able to focus on executing near term goals and understanding how they fit into a longer term plan.

Well to be fair we've done pretty well since the beginning of this year with the debt pay down. The mid-term goals of "we'll put $1,500 towards debt" are being met, and we're on pace to bump the time frame of our long term goals pretty significantly (out of debt date was I believe was stated as June or July of 2017). I feel you on the interest I've really enjoyed seeing the car interest go down.

quote:

Restaurants loving up your budget is not new. Can you create an outlet for the desire for restaurants that coaligns with your debt paydown goals?

Well they didn't "gently caress up our budget" so much as the car fine did, but they're definitely the number one area we can cut down on, and that's been the case for a very long time as you've mentioned.

Desire for restaurants comes down to time and energy. We've been throwing around cultural days where we try new home cooked foods from new cultures 5 days a week or something. Just gotta grocery shop more and more efficiently is really it though. We've started to add yummly I think it is to help us out, and we've had success with it so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
When I think of buying RVs I definitely don't consider any of the fuel and maintenance expenses.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When I think of buying RVs I definitely don't consider any of the fuel and maintenance expenses.

I created a rough budget with all of that to see what we were looking at.

The numbers I came up with were:
$800/mo RV Park, $400/mo maintenance, $500/mo fuel, $200/mo RV insurance, $600/mo health insurance, $100/mo medical, $200/mo internet, $200/mo pets, etc etc.

But again I'd prefer not to argue the point. That poo poo is so variable that it all might as well be "$X/mo". Yes my $1,433/mo was off when I responded above, and I realized that after I posted, but I didn't feel it was worth an edit (since I said I didn't want to argue the point).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So can you do the 5 why exercise about the RV trip without it ending with god?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

FYI car seats/kids and RV's generally aren't a safe driving situation

http://www.procarseatsafety.com/recreation-vehicles-rv.html

http://csftl.org/rv-travel-children

April
Jul 3, 2006

sheri posted:

I still don't get why a 2-bedroom apartment was too small and he was miserable, but an RV will be awesome.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

sheri posted:

Yeah I looked into that, which is why I started considering a truck and a fifth wheel instead of an actual motor home.

Sub $10,000 would be tough then.

Boon to that is truck maintenance would likely be cheaper than motor home maintenance.

April posted:

I still don't get why a 2-bedroom apartment was too small and he was miserable, but an RV will be awesome.

It wasn't just the space though. It was a ton of different things. My wife and I managed with 1 dog + 3 cats and ourselves in a smaller 1 bedroom for 6 months and it was one of the most comfortable places we've ever lived.

Veskit posted:

So can you do the 5 why exercise about the RV trip without it ending with god?

I'll try again later I'm a little mentally drained currently.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Will your wife still be working while you're digital nomading? If not, can you deal with the loss of her income? Also, don't you get your health insurance through her job, how will you adjust for that?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I'm not even going to get into this RV silliness.

When you say 'I want to live in the moment', I hear 'I want to spend in the moment'. One month it's weights, another month it's an HTPC, now you have to have a bunch of camping gear and a bike rack/trailer hitch. Why are you jumping from hobby to hobby so often? When you get it in your head that you want to do something, why does it involve buying something, and buying it NOW.

You mention that you are really bothered by the eating out thing. What is your plan to fix it? It seems like the impulse food spending has been on ongoing issue for you. I recently had a kid, and due to both logistics and finances, we're eating tons at home. It took time, but we have a pretty decent system in place for both shopping and cooking.

Lots of people jump from hobby to hobby. They enjoy getting into new things, and buying all the cool new gear, but they don't really stick with things. Is this something that happens to you? Are there steps you can take to stop yourself from spending money on things that will just collect dust?

It sounds like you have at least three things you would like to start doing more, riding your bike with your wife, hiking, and camping. That's a lot of new things to take on in an already busy life, and a lot of new gear. Can you just pick one thing at a time? I have brought it up in the past, but why not sell things you already own to fund these new purchases. It's a lot harder to sell things than it is to buy them. Hunt around on craigslist, my CL is small and there is tons good outdoor/cycling gear on it.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Ahhh the freedom of living in an RV park.
http://tiny.cc/mk0oby

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

I created a rough budget with all of that to see what we were looking at.

The numbers I came up with were:
$800/mo RV Park, $400/mo maintenance, $500/mo fuel, $200/mo RV insurance, $600/mo health insurance, $100/mo medical, $200/mo internet, $200/mo pets, etc etc.

It might just be me but this looks really expensive. $1900 on just housing and transportation? Is that really that much cheaper than your current place? Are you sure this is a good deal?

Do you have a breakdown for your bday trip? $900 seems low. Is that countin food/entertainment as well?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

RVing, a good way to get away from the neighbours.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Never change knyte.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Yeah except you can sometimes do this half the month for free

https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...YS0BzkQ_AUIBygC

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah except you can sometimes do this half the month for free

https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...YS0BzkQ_AUIBygC

How do you expect to work remotely with the shittiest internet that's ever shitted?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I grew up backwoods and right now my parents expensive high speed internet tops out at 512kbps and there is no cell phone service. Sure was beautiful, though!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Knyteguy posted:

Boon to that is truck maintenance would likely be cheaper than motor home maintenance.

Noooooooooooo

You'd want a turbo-diesel to tow a fifth wheel. Everything about a turbo-diesel is minimum twice that of a gas-powered truck.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

How do you expect to work remotely with the shittiest internet that's ever shitted?

Basically just plan a lot to make sure there's internet whenever we stay. I mostly just need enough internet to RDP and to push/pull commits in Visual Studio. Enough cell usage to talk to the boss when necessary (though we Skype 99% of the time).

Plus these guys do it: http://www.technomadia.com/2014/08/how-we-keep-online-illustrated-tour-of-our-rv-mobile-internet-setup/ and they even wrote a book on it. There's tons of information on places and the internet it can offer. There seems to be quite a few remote software devs who manage alright.

Adiabatic posted:

Noooooooooooo

You'd want a turbo-diesel to tow a fifth wheel. Everything about a turbo-diesel is minimum twice that of a gas-powered truck.

Same with a motorhome though. I'd want to get a diesel based on some stuff I've read.

Horking Delight posted:

It might just be me but this looks really expensive. $1900 on just housing and transportation? Is that really that much cheaper than your current place? Are you sure this is a good deal?

Do you have a breakdown for your bday trip? $900 seems low. Is that countin food/entertainment as well?

Yeah. I'm expecting our rent to go up to probably $1,300/mo upon this lease break. So that would be $600/mo more. However those are intended to be the max (like a budget ya know). I think most months would be cheaper.

Again Technomadia:
http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/

n8r posted:

I'm not even going to get into this RV silliness.

When you say 'I want to live in the moment', I hear 'I want to spend in the moment'. One month it's weights, another month it's an HTPC, now you have to have a bunch of camping gear and a bike rack/trailer hitch. Why are you jumping from hobby to hobby so often? When you get it in your head that you want to do something, why does it involve buying something, and buying it NOW.

You mention that you are really bothered by the eating out thing. What is your plan to fix it? It seems like the impulse food spending has been on ongoing issue for you. I recently had a kid, and due to both logistics and finances, we're eating tons at home. It took time, but we have a pretty decent system in place for both shopping and cooking.

Lots of people jump from hobby to hobby. They enjoy getting into new things, and buying all the cool new gear, but they don't really stick with things. Is this something that happens to you? Are there steps you can take to stop yourself from spending money on things that will just collect dust?

It sounds like you have at least three things you would like to start doing more, riding your bike with your wife, hiking, and camping. That's a lot of new things to take on in an already busy life, and a lot of new gear. Can you just pick one thing at a time? I have brought it up in the past, but why not sell things you already own to fund these new purchases. It's a lot harder to sell things than it is to buy them. Hunt around on craigslist, my CL is small and there is tons good outdoor/cycling gear on it.

Sometimes I want to spend in the moment yeah. Keyword sometimes. I don't need a bunch of camping gear. I do need a bike rack for obvious reasons, and I'll be picking one up within budget. I can't even get the bikes down for a service right now, so that's part of the reason I'd like one. My tire is impossible for me to get on without puncturing the tube, and both bikes needs tuneups.

I don't feel like I'm really jumping from hobby to hobby. All of these things have been long time hobbies that have been neglected.

Black Rock Desert 2008:

Pyramid Lake 2009:

Lake Tahoe 2010:

:D This has kind of been my stuff for awhile. Simply neglected as mentioned.

Who says we need new gear? I want to camp but that's the lowest of my priorities. Plus I'm not talking about climbing K2 here. We mostly just need something to carry the baby in, and probably some tractioned shoes. Plus I've lived here and gone camping all my life we already have a bunch of stuff and we can borrow a bunch. I have a new fishing pole I'd like to break in even.

But I feel like everyone is talking as if we're going to do the RV trip? That's not the case. All of this was the pre-planning I did initially looking into it. I'm trying to stay non-committal on absolutely anything until we're out of debt and we have a fresh perspective and more money in our pockets every month. Then we can make the choice. There is absolutely no downside to paying off debt more quickly which is our only actionable thing. I've mentioned this several times now.

Mostly I'm just excited for some bad rear end adventures locally right now. That and the debt/budget stuff is all that necessitates energy right now, and I'm happy enough continuing along with that without thinking too much about whether we'll do this RV trip or not.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 24, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
KG, renew your lease and plan this for the next year. Save up. Take it slow. Enjoy life! Go do your local adventures and stuff.

E: THINK OF THE DOGS!!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Serious question, how do you expect to work full time in a wheeled box that you share with another adult and a small child? Are you going to tell her to take him away for hours long stretches every day? Is he magically going to make no noise? Are you going to set up in a place like a library to do your work away from them? In a job where you need to concentrate on detailed stuff, how is having a cherubic noisemaker effectively living in your office going to result in a good time for anyone?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Everyone is talking like you are going to do the RV trip because your thought process goes "Considering it, but probably not" for a couple of months, then changes to "LET'S DO IT!" In the blink of an eye.

Personally I think you will impulse-buy an RV that's a "great deal!" And then leave it to rust in your drive 50 weeks a year like everyone else with an RV.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 24, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How are you going to code on a laptop? I mean, that's like the worst thing imaginable for a developer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Knyteguy posted:

See the RV thing doesn't come down to money though. I was doing my best to look at it outside the scope of finances, since some people do this on like $1,000 a month or something crazy. In fact I saw/see it as a way to cheat the FI part of the 10-15 years of work.

I have an even better way to save money...

Wait for it...

Buy a houseboat! Make sure to falsely terminate your lease before you stop renting.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Did he ever answer the question about his wife working while they YOLO'd their way around the country? And how not having that income will affect them?

I know you aren't doing the RV thing right now, but yeah, this takes extensive planning. It's good just to talk things out and see if you missed something. There are probably quite a few things you aren't considering, but at least you're trying. As long as you keep this in the Talking stage.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

dreesemonkey posted:

How are you going to code on a laptop? I mean, that's like the worst thing imaginable for a developer.

Is it? I code on a laptop. You can plug in extra monitors if you need a bazillion debug windows open.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

We're posting like the RV is a sure thing because even if you can't learn from past experience, we can.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Stop trying to talk him out of it. He's going to do it, and if you suggest maybe there's a deeper meaning, he's going to point you at some stupid blog about someone else who is totally doing it and doing great.. (Because lifestyle rags typically like to get into the poo poo about why what they're promoting isn't fun.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think that your quest for meaning in your life can be solved by external factors.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I was poking around the fridge when my wife wandered up and shoved her phone in my face to show me about one of the new couples she'd met at one of the children functions she goes to. It was an RV couple who were detailing their lives and had stopped at an RV park for like 6 months here. Which is basically like renting a house without actually having the comfort of a house.

Oh, and their aggressively atheist homeschoolers whose children seem to have behavioral problems due to instability. Sure seems like a great life to me.

(She, of course, said "man wouldn't this be fun?" and I told her no, never, stop.)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'm done arguing about the RV stuff at this point.

Anyway here's the budget:

June:

So May's is a little more butchered than the past two months have been. The emergency fund ($501) and day care suddenly going up screwed it up. We went over $10 on home/baby, $11 on groceries. I paid $10 of the home and baby from discretionary, and that grocery overage came out of my discretionary next month.

Bike trailer + helmet for the baby was much of that shared ($200).

I'll post a finished May's budget at the end. I don't expect more non-"Immediate Obligation" expenses.

June's notable expenses: tires for the Corolla, registration/smog Corolla. Luckily the car fund has some money built up at this point. Luckily it will have ample time to rebuild.

Failed pretty hard on the monthly goals this month (cutting grocery costs, alcohol). I'll set new ones for June. That's a 50% goal rate success so far. I'll keep track.

e: I adjusted that discretionary for June after this post. I didn't feel like re-screenshotting.

e2: updated June since I budgeted the new day care incorrectly.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I still think the asking why exercise is both not an argument and a healthy exercise that you should do. I'm not sure you're seeing what I'm seeing but are you not bothered that 6 days ago I brought this up and you've been unable to really say or understand why this is important to you?

Is today a therapy day btw?

• Locked thread