Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

A bunch of cartoon characters I didn't care about bashed against each other in tacky plastic costumes and then the credits rolled with nothing resolved.

Also everyone is like, 30 at the oldest which makes things really weird when people have adult kids. Do people stop aging in Warcraft?

People stop aging in Hollywood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I had always said a Warcraft movie needed to come out during the height of WoW's popularity, not the decline.

So yeah the movie is about six years too late.

gently caress Chris Metzen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

then the credits rolled with nothing resolved.

Yes the plot of Warcraft wasn't resolved in the first game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Yes the plot of Warcraft wasn't resolved in the first game.

Was the plot of Warcraft a load of hackneyed fantasy-cliche rubbish? If so then congrats Dunc, you nailed it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

warcraft was originally a ripoff of warhammer (same with starcraft being a warhammer 40k ripoff)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Was the plot of Warcraft a load of hackneyed fantasy-cliche rubbish? If so then congrats Dunc, you nailed it.

Yep!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Was the plot of Warcraft a load of hackneyed fantasy-cliche rubbish?

Yes.

I am glad the movie turned out well.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

A villain mean and rough

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Retconned the first game so much 1984 would blush.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Retconned the first game so much 1984 would blush.

You are a crazy person. The first games plot was "orcs".

Adding context to this is not a retcon.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

A villain mean and rough

Steve2911 posted:

You are a crazy person. The first games plot was "orcs".

Adding context to this is not a retcon.

I'm not crazy, I've just been held hostage by Chris Metzen.

His corruption fetish is going too far I tell ya.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

People stop aging in Hollywood

Fun fact: Jeremy Renner is 15 years older than his costar, Gemma Arterton.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 24, 2016

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder how much stake in this movie Blizzard actually has.

They are pretty much in 100% Overwatch mode and don't mention the movie on B.net at all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's a license job, they wouldn't put a ton of money into a movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

It's a license job, they wouldn't put a ton of money into a movie.

Yeah, this is exactly why the predictions – which I've been seeing for years – that Blizzard would promote the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales were such ridiculous bullshit. There is no way they invest their own resources into something that they, at best, indirectly receive money for, as compared to something they get all the money for (Overwatch, World of Warcraft, etc.).

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, this is exactly why the predictions – which I've been seeing for years – that Blizzard would promote the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales were such ridiculous bullshit. There is no way they invest their own resources into something that they, at best, indirectly receive money for, as compared to something they get all the money for (Overwatch, World of Warcraft, etc.).

They're giving away World of Warcraft keys and a chance to win Blizzcon tickets at participating theaters. Players also unlock movie-related transmog items if they log in between May 25 and August 1.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have given away Hearthstone packs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

They're giving away World of Warcraft keys and a chance to win Blizzcon tickets at participating theaters. Players also unlock movie-related transmog items if they log in between May 25 and August 1.

Using this as an opportunity to promote the game is different than promoting the movie by giving away stuff to the people already playing the game, which is what people kept saying would happen.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 24, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Using this as an opportunity to promote the game is different than promoting the movie by giving away stuff to the people already playing the game, which is what people kept saying would happen.

But they are giving away stuff to people already playing the game. I guess I don't understand why the difference matters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

But they are giving away stuff to people already playing the game. I guess I don't understand why the difference matters.

Nobody who is already playing the game is receiving anything in compensation for seeing the movie from Blizzard. The specific claim I'm mocking, which was predicted many places, is that Blizzard would drive up turnout for the movie by using in-game compensation for people who bought tickets. That is to say, that people were predicting the movie would be a success because Blizzard could mobilize all the people playing through give-aways.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nobody who is already playing the game is receiving anything in compensation for seeing the movie from Blizzard. The specific claim I'm mocking, which was predicted many places, is that Blizzard would drive up turnout for the movie by using in-game compensation for people who bought tickets. That is to say, that people were predicting the movie would be a success because Blizzard could mobilize all the people playing through give-aways.

This feels like splitting hairs. They're giving away digital licenses with a month of game time and a chance to win Blizzcon tickets. It's undoubtedly going to be promoted on the launcher in June, and they sent promotional emails a week ago with a link to reserve tickets. Whether or not this translates into box office is a different issue, but the earlier implication that they're not behind the film isn't true.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

This feels like splitting hairs. They're giving away digital licenses with a month of game time and a chance to win Blizzcon tickets. It's undoubtedly going to be promoted on the launcher in June, and they sent promotional emails a week ago with a link to reserve tickets. Whether or not this translates into box office is a different issue, but the earlier implication that they're not behind the film isn't true.

The question of whether they're using the movie to promote the game or the game to promote the movie is the entire point and I'm not seeing anything that suggests it's the latter rather than the former.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

The question of whether they're using the movie to promote the game or the game to promote the movie is the entire point and I'm not seeing anything that suggests it's the latter rather than the former.

It's both. Players who log in within two months of the premiere have cosmetic gear from the movie added to their collection. It will almost certainly be promoted on the game launcher.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

It's both. Players who log in within two months of the premiere have cosmetic gear from the movie added to their collection. It will almost certainly be promoted on the game launcher.

That's a blatant use of the movie to promote the game. Nobody has to see the movie to get that benefit. However, they might be reminded of the game by the movie and be more likely to sign in because Blizzard is using this as an opportunity to welcome people back into the fold.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's a blatant use of the movie to promote the game. Nobody has to see the movie to get that benefit. However, they might be reminded of the game by the movie and be more likely to sign in because Blizzard is using this as an opportunity to welcome people back into the fold.

Sending emails to subscribers and advertising the movie on their website is using the popularity of the game to sell movie tickets.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Sending emails to subscribers and advertising the movie on their website is using the popularity of the game to sell movie tickets.

In the same sense that licensing the name of the product is using the popularity of the game to sell movie tickets.

I appreciate that I didn't repeat every detail of my position in every post, but my first post on this subject was:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Which clearly isn't contradicted by Blizzard sending out a loving email.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sir Kodiak posted:

In the same sense that licensing the name of the product is using the popularity of the game to sell movie tickets.

I appreciate that I didn't repeat every detail of my position in every post, but my first post on this subject was:

Which clearly isn't contradicted by Blizzard sending out a loving email.

Ok... They did that too though as others have pointed out.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

They invested resources into cosmetic gear promoting the film. An achievement appears on screen when players log in and receive the items.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Ok... They did that too though as others have pointed out.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Toady posted:

They invested resources into cosmetic gear based on the film. An achievement appears on screen when players log in and receive the items.

Game content based on movies is generally recognized as promoting the game, not the movie. That's why licensed games for movies involve the game publisher paying the rights-holder for the film to use their IP. Raven Software/Activision had to pay for the right to make a X-Men Origins: Wolverine game. This is common in games based on existing IP. Rocksteady/Eidos/Square had to pay WB/DC for the right to use Batman in the Arkham games.

Now, I don't think that Blizzard wrote a check to be able to make movie-related cosmetic gear. But if we compare this to how the money usually flows in these transactions, it's generally accepted that movie-related items in a video game benefit the game, not the movie.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 24, 2016

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

This film might not be #1 at the box office but this thread is #1 for retarded hairsplitting arguments, so that's something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The argument changed so many times I don't know what it is anymore, but the cross-promotion Blizzard is doing is clear.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Toady posted:

The argument changed so many times I don't know what it is anymore, but the cross-promotion Blizzard is doing is clear.

Well, Kodiak's argument hasn't changed at all dude.
"the predictions – which I've been seeing for years – that Blizzard would promote the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales were such ridiculous bullshit. There is no way they invest their own resources into something that they, at best, indirectly receive money for, as compared to something they get all the money for (Overwatch, World of Warcraft, etc.)."
Which, yeah, he's right. In no way has "Blizzard promoted the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales". You can't really argue that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, Kodiak's argument hasn't changed at all dude.

"the predictions – which I've been seeing for years – that Blizzard would promote the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales were such ridiculous bullshit. There is no way they invest their own resources into something that they, at best, indirectly receive money for, as compared to something they get all the money for (Overwatch, World of Warcraft, etc.)."

Which, yeah, he's right. In no way has "Blizzard promoted the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales". You can't really argue that.

Something about this thread kills people's reading comprehension.

Possibly years of mentally zoning out whenever a Blizzard character starts speaking :laugh:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is this what happens when a film is really bad? The thread just devolves into constant pedantry?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is this what happens when a film is really bad? The thread just devolves into constant pedantry?

First there's pointing and laughing. Then SMG comes in explain that it's secretly a masterpiece and we argue for 300 pages.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Still looking forward to this movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's reports popping up all over the net that pre-sales for Warcraft opened in China yesterday and blew the gently caress up

quote:

Presales are open for Warcraft, X-men Apocalypse, and Alice in China. Warcraft presales are massive considering how far out they are. Several times higher than those other two combined. Like bigger than Civil War and possibly closer to Furious 7 massive.

quote:

Yesterday presales for the midnight releases of each film was as follows

Alice - 146k
X-Men - 78k
Warcraft - 2.77M

Warcraft was up to 4.66M for the midnight showing this morning. The film is still two weeks away. Civil War's midnight presales were 4.7M when the film was 48 hours away from release.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/73779347?jumpto=11

:psyduck:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's reports popping up all over the net that pre-sales for Warcraft opened in China yesterday and blew the gently caress up

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/73779347?jumpto=11

:psyduck:

Wouldn't use China as any indicator. They love the poo poo out of anything Arnold Schwarzenegger even his bad movies.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Holyshoot posted:

Wouldn't use China as any indicator. They love the poo poo out of anything Arnold Schwarzenegger even his bad movies.

is this a joke about arnold's orcish appearance

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holyshoot posted:

Wow.

Wow.

Dissing Schwarzenegger? Too edgy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Corek posted:

is this a joke about arnold's orcish appearance

No joke. Chinese people go crazy for his movies. Look it up.

• Locked thread