Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soothing Vapors posted:

2+ widowmakers is how I know the next 5 minutes of my life are going to suck

I posted the same earlier, I hate 2 windowmakers and you're pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Also getting lots of teams with 2-3 genji who can't play genji for poo poo.

Kinda wish Blizz would have locked Widowmaker, Genji and Hanzo behind a "you must reach level 15" unlock or something. I'm generally against level-up unlocks in competitive shooters but god drat, those classes are obviously the hardest to play well and yet seem to attract the most unskilled players more often than not.

Blizz went and designed plenty of classes like Bastion, Mei, even Junkrat to an extent, plenty of others, which are for people who can't aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I actually lucked out and got the best Tracer skin right away

Also got Pharah's Jackal skin, which is objectively second best to the Gundam.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Daric posted:

Mei is hilarious. She has just enough health to be super annoying and I love putting up a wall to block an exit so everyone has to funnel out of the other right into my team.

if you can also get a wall between roadhog with his hook out and your teammate, you can save them from being pulled in all the way

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

gigawhite posted:

On that note, I could never tell yesterday if I was far enough away from d.va's mech explosion thing to not get taken out. Pretty massive range on that one.

The warning sign turns from red to orange when you're outside of the kill range.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Feels like they hosed up roadhog's hook. Having a lot more instances of hooking people just for them to get caught on scenery instead of getting dragged to me. Or getting dragged to me at weird angles. Almost never happened in OB but it has consistently happened every game I've hog'd in so far.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you're playing Mei start timing your walls so you let one person slip through before blocking the path; it's always hilarious seeing someone try to backpedal only to hit The Wall and die horribly when your team opens on them.

This goes double for any Reinhardt/Hog Mercy combo. Isolate the tank from the healer and go to town. :getin:

Yeah I've been trying to do that when I get the opportunity. I'm playing on PS4 so if you press R1 to prep the wall and press R1 again it'll change the direction.

I also enjoy cutting off half a point so my team can load up in it and start claiming it before they can stop us. 2 Mei's fighting each other over a point is amazing to watch. Just giant wall after giant wall.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

mcbexx posted:

When a round "clicks", this is the most fun I have had in a game in a long, long time.

When you're getting clowned by other, better players and in addition your team is borderline retarded, it's the most rage-inducing experience ever.

Holy poo poo, I'm afraid I am going to pop a vessel today.

I don't have a problem with losing if the other team is just plain better that yours.

But when you lose because your whole team is out pimping their k/d ratio or standing just a bit outside the point without contesting it with the timer ticking down? I am become salt, hater of games.

/edit:

Daric posted:

Yeah I've been trying to do that when I get the opportunity. I'm playing on PS4 so if you press R1 to prep the wall and press R1 again it'll change the direction.

I also enjoy cutting off half a point so my team can load up in it and start claiming it before they can stop us. 2 Mei's fighting each other over a point is amazing to watch. Just giant wall after giant wall.

Not only that, you can use Mei's wall to climb stuff. Flip its direction and aim down while running, you can get on high-ish ledges (like the opening to the side of Hanamura's point A entry when defending) and icicle people in the back of their stupid heads. You won't get Genji-level mobility, but it'll get you places most people don't expect to see a Mei coming from.

/edit2: vvvvv I like you

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 24, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mei is actually useful for non-trolling purposes as you can use her walls to boost people over inaccessible gaps, like the one in Hanamura, which means you can get your entire team, Reinhardt included, over that gap and attack from the wrong angle.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also getting lots of teams with 2-3 genji who can't play genji for poo poo.

That's me... Im enjoying ruining everyones experience to play my lovely rear end ninja game.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
You know... In the closed beta I got like 5-6 gold cards as we all voted and did not mind voting for the other team.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like Genji, but I'm not the best at him. I'm competent enough to know how to combo and how to flank and which targets to prioritize, but I still have a lot of improvement.

Honestly I think you should be forced to get to level 20 in Play vs AI before you're allowed onto live servers to inflict your misery on others.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Failboattootoot posted:

Feels like they hosed up roadhog's hook. Having a lot more instances of hooking people just for them to get caught on scenery instead of getting dragged to me. Or getting dragged to me at weird angles. Almost never happened in OB but it has consistently happened every game I've hog'd in so far.

I've been hooked through walls a few times now so I think it's working too well

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I love the game, but I really cannot understand why the game allows multiple instances of the same heroes to be used on a team. It is only seems to reduce the variety you see, and there are plenty enough characters of each type that it should not be an issue.

It also leads to dumb team comps like the 5 tolberones and 1 hanzo my friends and I saw yesterday on Anubis. yes you can switch to genji to hard counter the turrets, however there is a choke point the attackers must pass through that means its a shooting gallery when there are 5 turrets, 5 dwarfs, and a sniper hitting you. especially when you cannot get everyone to switch characters, it means you mostly just get stomped on and its dumb af.

Siege uses first come first serve character selection and it works just fine.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Eonwe posted:

good morning

i took today off from work to play this fun game

Me too. Play with me if you want to lose every game while one of your teammates wanders aimlessly around the map and then dies

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I love the game, but I really cannot understand why the game allows multiple instances of the same heroes to be used on a team. It is only seems to reduce the variety you see, and there are plenty enough characters of each type that it should not be an issue.

Because 5 roadhog/winston/whatever + 1 lucio comps are fun and dumb. And just like any massed thing you just mass them right back and it all works out

Jeeze everyone takes this game so seriously

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya is tied with Roadhog as my favourite tank.

I go for the Tobelstein all the time and I get it because Zarya always gets what she wants.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

I've been hooked through walls a few times now so I think it's working too well

Hook is hitscan so he probably clicked on you right before you rounded the corner.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I love playing as Mercy, I will play as her until someone else picks her in a pubbie match so in other words I will play as her forever. I've always loved dedicated healer characters and she's a fun one.

I feel like if I refuse to stray too far from capture points then pubbies will sometimes just end up staying in the general vicinity of the capture points for the healing, so you can sort of control the flow of pubbie games if you get a group that isn't too allergic to capture points.

I think onscreen healing notifications need to be a different color, the white blends in too well so I don't notice it immediately. Maybe a flashing technicolor notification or something.

Other than that I'm pretty fond of the ui, and I love that you're allowed to turn around and look at other teammates' health bars/keep an eye out for ambushes without losing track of the person you're healing.

I know it's not been released for long but is there a good Mercy guide by someone who was in beta or something? I feel like I have a good handle on her but I really wanna get better. Any tips you guys have would be fine too, such as common mistakes you see people making as Mercy. Thanks friends!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Overwatch uses a "favour the shooter" system, which means that if someone shoots you, you are shot, regardless of how it appears on your screen.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i like zarya because if I hear a massive damage ult coming at least two of us will survive and I will have 100% power for a little while

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because 5 roadhog/winston/whatever + 1 lucio comps are fun and dumb. And just like any massed thing you just mass them right back and it all works out

Jeeze everyone takes this game so seriously

except if your team does not mass in return its just a boring slog for the side that is getting stomped

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Ddraig posted:

Overwatch uses a "favour the shooter" system, which means that if someone shoots you, you are shot, regardless of how it appears on your screen.

Unless you do the special thing that stops the shot from hitting you on your screen

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Ddraig posted:

So I actually lucked out and got the best Tracer skin right away

Since we're talking about annoyances with character design anyways, the goth skins for Tracer and Zarya feel 'meh' compared to the legendary skins other heroes get.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WoodrowSkillson posted:

except if your team does not mass in return its just a boring slog for the side that is getting stomped

But if they are massing and you are not then that means they are also coordinating and your side is not, and teamwork is forever OP

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

net cafe scandal posted:

Hook is hitscan so he probably clicked on you right before you rounded the corner.

Almost certainly a combination of Hook (hitscan but will animate to hit you wherever you run) and the fact that Overwatch has a tick-rate of 20 while many games use a tick-rate of 60. The tick-rate issue results in a ton of 'On his screen he saw X, but I saw Y'!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really like playing Lucio because my typical strategy of following my team around and missing every shot I take is still very helpful

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Atoramos posted:

Since we're talking about annoyances with character design anyways, the goth skins for Tracer and Zarya feel 'meh' compared to the legendary skins other heroes get.

Tracer gets Goth, Zarya gets Rivethead. There's a difference :colbert:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

don't worry you guys were the good team i was with last night :cheers:

but i also have like 35+ other friends who were also playing overwatch and i'm pretty sure at least some of them are bad

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Running as a stack of six last night involved getting utterly stomped by far better players over and over because no MMR has built up but was still fun will stack again

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The cool thing is that the slog can only go up to something like 10 minutes

But those 10 minutes can feel like forever O_O

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I played an AI match to test graphics stuff and its cute that the bots say gg at the end of the match.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

the coolest part of overwatch is all the people who don't like it are making posts across the internet like they're enlightened scholars shaking their heads in disbelief at the grubby masses of kowtowing Blizzardslave sheeple. I havent seen this many people being smug about not liking a video game since mainline Call of Duty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

net cafe scandal posted:

I played an AI match to test graphics stuff and its cute that the bots say gg at the end of the match.

Yeah I haven't seen that since Quake 3 and its real nice. Kinda threw me off at first.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

i like that some of them even put passive aggressive emotes like "gg :\ "

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

whalestory posted:

The cool thing is that the slog can only go up to something like 10 minutes

But those 10 minutes can feel like forever O_O

And yet, when you're making that final push and failing they can go by so fast.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

But if they are massing and you are not then that means they are also coordinating and your side is not, and teamwork is forever OP

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Welp. I golded healing with 76 compared to our Mercy. Granted I started as Lucio but I quickly dropped him because our team comp had nobody to loving heal (i.e. flankers, snipers, people on a thousand year vision quest to find kills)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, however that's still not a good reason to allow multiple instances of a character in a game with 21 of them.

the most fun games are when its all different characters so there are the most variables at play

In an organized group, stacking 5-6 of someone can be hilarious and good. I just don't want to see this when I solo queue:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

the coolest part of overwatch is all the people who don't like it are making posts across the internet like they're enlightened scholars shaking their heads in disbelief at the grubby masses of kowtowing Blizzardslave sheeple. I havent seen this many people being smug about not liking a video game since mainline Call of Duty

I dont think thats the coolest part about Overwatch :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They shouldnt restrict characters since double heroes can make for really interesting team comps and gimmick teams are fun and seem to be effective in public matches at least