Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ynglaur posted:

After reading VG's write-up I really want to buy that book. Oh, that's right: CCP won't go through the extra 15 minutes it takes to enable publishing on the Windows Kindle client. Don't have iOS or Android? Too bad. :argh:

To be fair, I don't think CCP published the book, they just authorised it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Landsknecht posted:

There's been quite a bit of drama (very recently) surrounding who exactly orchestrated a lot of the subterfuge; The_Mittani has said that he masterminded the whole thing, while Darius JOHNSON, CEO of Goonswarm at the time and Hesiod on these forums, has said that it was more of him, Tamir Lenk, and XTTZ (master of game mechanics) who came up with the plan to disband BOB.

The disbanding itself was Mittani's thing, Darius made the call as CEO abandon our existing space and throw everything into Delve.

edit: the drama was mostly about Darius not being mentioned in the book and stomping off to make his own Goonswarm, with blackjack and hookers.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 24, 2016

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So the 10k SP for killing a rat has been switched off.

People we Smartbombing them and getting more SP.

:ccp:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VideoGames posted:

I just finished the book! That was exhaustingly good. Please tell me there is another that continues on! I want to know more!

Also it is a shame Pandemic Legion and Goonswarm seem to dislike each other now after all their work to stop Band of Brothers/ZenKoku.

I can safely say that RVCMF will never be one of those grand universe powers. I do not want that sort of stress. I just want to be known as the happiest miner! :D

Basically, the guy said he's reluctant to go any farther because after the fall of BoB, everyone involved is still fighting today so it's much harder to get to the truth when everyone's still spinning.

The short version is: following the conquest of Delve, goonswarm sort of stagnated without a major enemy. BoB reformed under IT Alliance and drove Pandemic Legion out of Fountain, and was attacking Goonswarm. At that point, CCP had made a major change to the sov system: instead of keeping sov by keeping POS online, you kept it by paying maintinence bills for all of your systems. When CCP changed the sov system over though, it made it so that every bill was due on the exact same day. At this point Goonswarm had had a few leadership changes - Zapawork took over from DJ, and then Karttoon (a guy who had become popular by popularizing ganking miners in highsec) took over from Zapawork.

So, one day, all of goonswarm's bills came due. Except Karttoon was on vacation, and the CFO (niart epar) had told everyone he was barely playing, and those were the only two people with access to all the money. So, the bills didn't get paid, and Goonswarm lost sov over every single system, at once.

IT alliance and its allies reacted by managing to take sov over Goonswarm's key systems before Goonswarm could (the market and the capital staging system), which lead to the leadership deciding Delve could no longer be defended and evacuating. At this point, Karttoon came back and when everyone told him he was (to summarize) an incompetent moron who should resign, he stole the alliance and all of the assets he could get.

So, Goonfleet all moved into Goonwaffe, an old GoonSwarm corporation that had gotten mothballed. Darius came back to lead Goonwaffe, which formed a new alliance with a gimmick name ("LODRA"). At this point, one of the major schisms that still haunts this thread happened - the black ops corporation, "Elitist Ops", and Darius got into what can most politely and succictly be described as a dumb loving slapfight. This led to Elitist Ops being kicked out of LODRA and joining Pandemic Legion, which lead to a further slapfight between Darius and the leadership of Pandemic Legion.

At some point in time here, Pandemic Legion tried (and failed) to gank one of LODRA's titans, further straining relations between the two. From this point on PL and LODRA (and later GSF) have been fairly hostile.

LODRA had moved to syndicate, and then later invaded Cloud Ring. My recollection of this is that Phreeze just organized and started the invasion and DJ was not pleased, but it's a bit hazy. We conquered Cloud Ring and then promptly lost it because our enemies had a lot of supercaps and we did not. At this point, I believe Vile Rat (though I'm not clear on the details here and may be wrong) to let TCF let us move into Deklein. Also at some point in time while we were in syndicate, some of the old Goonswarm corporations left to form a splinter alliance "Here Be Dragons" (hilariously, now Darkness's renter alliance in deklein) over what can most politely be described as having had enough of DJ's style of leadership. I'm not entirely positive about the timeline of these events - they all happened around the same time.

DJ then got a job at CCP and had to quit. He appointed The Mittani as CEO of goonwaffe/LODRA. The Mittani then refounded the alliance as Goonswarm Federation and closed the LODRA alliance. At first, GSF lived in one constellation in Deklein, and then when TCF started to decline they turned the whole region over to GSF, and GSF took their place as part of the Northern Coalition.

From there, the cliffs notes are that Pandemic Legion and Triumvirate (which formed an alliance called "Northern Coalition." to make everything confusing) and some other allies conquered and destroyed all of the Northern Coalition except GSF. They made an attack on GSF's capital, VFK, which ended in a hilarious disaster and left GSF in charge of the remaining alliances left from the Northern Coalition, which were renamed the ClusterFuck Coalition ("CFC", later renamed to The Imperium). GSF then reconquered the north over a year or two, evicting all of the alliances that had conquered the old NC and installed CFC allies in the region instead. The collapse of the CFC/Imperium's stranglehold on the north is the current war.

I've left out some other stuff, like the strangling and murder of TEST Alliance, universally agreed to have been a gaggle of shitlords at the time they were murdered (even by their allies at the time, who propped them up to try to keep the CFC in check, and even by the current leaders of TEST). But that's the very broad strokes of how the universe at the end of the book became the one we're all arguing over today.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

At this point, I believe Vile Rat (though I'm not clear on the details here and may be wrong) to let TCF let us move into Deklein.

That was me. Darius was going to move us to Venal and the (old) NC had said they'd reset us if we did. I said something like "give me five minutes before you do that" and spoke to Sil, who gave us either N-T or DKUK - I always get confused there - and so it began.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

xtothez posted:

The disbanding itself was Mittani's thing, Darius made the call as CEO abandon our existing space and throw everything into Delve.

edit: the drama was mostly about Darius not being mentioned in the book and stomping off to make his own reclaim Goonswarm, with blackjack and hookers.

We were also bleeding out in the south against R0L, AAA, and SE at the time and would've eventually lost or lived in Scalding Pass.

evilweasel posted:

Basically, the guy said he's reluctant to go any farther because after the fall of BoB, everyone involved is still fighting today so it's much harder to get to the truth when everyone's still spinning.

The short version is: following the conquest of Delve, goonswarm sort of stagnated without a major enemy. BoB reformed under IT Alliance and drove Pandemic Legion out of Fountain, and was attacking Goonswarm. At that point, CCP had made a major change to the sov system: instead of keeping sov by keeping POS online, you kept it by paying maintinence bills for all of your systems. When CCP changed the sov system over though, it made it so that every bill was due on the exact same day. At this point Goonswarm had had a few leadership changes - Zapawork took over from DJ, and then Karttoon (a guy who had become popular by popularizing ganking miners in highsec) took over from Zapawork.

So, one day, all of goonswarm's bills came due. Except Karttoon was on vacation, and the CFO (niart epar) had told everyone he was barely playing, and those were the only two people with access to all the money. So, the bills didn't get paid, and Goonswarm lost sov over every single system, at once.

IT alliance and its allies reacted by managing to take sov over Goonswarm's key systems before Goonswarm could (the market and the capital staging system), which lead to the leadership deciding Delve could no longer be defended and evacuating. At this point, Karttoon came back and when everyone told him he was (to summarize) an incompetent moron who should resign, he stole the alliance and all of the assets he could get.

So, Goonfleet all moved into Goonwaffe, an old GoonSwarm corporation that had gotten mothballed. Darius came back to lead Goonwaffe, which formed a new alliance with a gimmick name ("LODRA"). At this point, one of the major schisms that still haunts this thread happened - the black ops corporation, "Elitist Ops", and Darius got into what can most politely and succictly be described as a dumb loving slapfight. This led to Elitist Ops being kicked out of LODRA and joining Pandemic Legion, which lead to a further slapfight between Darius and the leadership of Pandemic Legion.

At some point in time here, Pandemic Legion tried (and failed) to gank one of LODRA's titans, further straining relations between the two. From this point on PL and LODRA (and later GSF) have been fairly hostile.

LODRA had moved to syndicate, and then later invaded Cloud Ring. My recollection of this is that Phreeze just organized and started the invasion and DJ was not pleased, but it's a bit hazy. We conquered Cloud Ring and then promptly lost it because our enemies had a lot of supercaps and we did not. At this point, I believe Vile Rat (though I'm not clear on the details here and may be wrong) to let TCF let us move into Deklein. Also at some point in time while we were in syndicate, some of the old Goonswarm corporations left to form a splinter alliance "Here Be Dragons" (hilariously, now Darkness's renter alliance in deklein) over what can most politely be described as having had enough of DJ's style of leadership. I'm not entirely positive about the timeline of these events - they all happened around the same time.

DJ then got a job at CCP and had to quit. He appointed The Mittani as CEO of goonwaffe/LODRA. The Mittani then refounded the alliance as Goonswarm Federation and closed the LODRA alliance. At first, GSF lived in one constellation in Deklein, and then when TCF started to decline they turned the whole region over to GSF, and GSF took their place as part of the Northern Coalition.

From there, the cliffs notes are that Pandemic Legion and Triumvirate (which formed an alliance called "Northern Coalition." to make everything confusing) and some other allies conquered and destroyed all of the Northern Coalition except GSF. They made an attack on GSF's capital, VFK, which ended in a hilarious disaster and left GSF in charge of the remaining alliances left from the Northern Coalition, which were renamed the ClusterFuck Coalition ("CFC", later renamed to The Imperium). GSF then reconquered the north over a year or two, evicting all of the alliances that had conquered the old NC and installed CFC allies in the region instead. The collapse of the CFC/Imperium's stranglehold on the north is the current war.

I've left out some other stuff, like the strangling and murder of TEST Alliance, universally agreed to have been a gaggle of shitlords at the time they were murdered (even by their allies at the time, who propped them up to try to keep the CFC in check, and even by the current leaders of TEST). But that's the very broad strokes of how the universe at the end of the book became the one we're all arguing over today.

In Syndicate we fought against ev0ke who were widely known to exploit an item dupe exploit with R64 reactions and ended up with a massive supercap fleet for the time due to this. We couldnt't man up to them and their other friends at the time, occasionally traded supercaps (when goons could actually hold a tackle which was a huge problem from 2008 to 2012)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Endie posted:

That was me. Darius was going to move us to Venal and the (old) NC had said they'd reset us if we did. I said something like "give me five minutes before you do that" and spoke to Sil, who gave us either N-T or DKUK - I always get confused there - and so it began.

It was DKUK IIRC

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I am irate at being written out in your version and shall be petitioning to get the Goonplatoon corp which I shall take to Syndicate to be Truer Gooniers.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

jm20 posted:

In Syndicate we fought against ev0ke who were widely known to exploit an item dupe exploit with R64 reactions and ended up with a massive supercap fleet for the time due to this. We couldnt't man up to them and their other friends at the time, occasionally traded supercaps when goons could actually hold a tackle which was a huge problem from 2006 to 20xx.

fixed for accuracy

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

fixed for accuracy

Some things never change, I didn't want to extrapolate because I didn't know

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

There's been quite a bit of drama (very recently) surrounding who exactly orchestrated a lot of the subterfuge; The_Mittani has said that he masterminded the whole thing, while Darius JOHNSON, CEO of Goonswarm at the time and Hesiod on these forums, has said that it was more of him, Tamir Lenk, and XTTZ (master of game mechanics) who came up with the plan to disband BOB.

There's no actual dispute over what happened. The only party who supports DJ's interpretation is DJ himself and most of what DJ claims The Mittani has been saying in the first place is nonsense. That particular drama started when CCP ran a contest for 'True Stories of Eve', where you could submit a (short - max 1000 words) story and vote on them, top 5 stories received some prizes, top 2 stories recieved tons of plex, top story got turned into a comic book.

Naturally, we submitted the story of the disbanding of Bob, and Xttz also submitted a story about Goonswarm's first supercap. We then organized a massive ballot-stuffing campaign because we thought it would be hilarious to rig the contest where various pubbies were submitting their earnest stories about the time they won a 1v1 at the sun. We won the top two slots, collected the prizes (something like 200 plex in total). The issue that DJ is very upset about is that, because the story was limited to 1000 words, you could cover basically nothing. So what was covered was just (1) the recruitment of Haargoth and (2) the disbanding of BoB. Like i said, short word limit, very limited. I'd go link the story that was submitted but CCP took it down. Dev blog is here: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/eve-true-stories-the-comic-book-based-on-true-events-20.000-years-into-the-future/

CCP then turned it into a comic book which was widely agreed to be (1) hilarious (2) terrible (3) not at all accurate in any way. For the purposes of the comic book, the conquest of Delve - which was really the hard part - was completely cut out. Also Tamir Lenk was turned into some crazy FC, the disbanding was turned into something that could only be accomplished by misdirection so that a fleet was in the wrong place, etc.

For some dumb reason DJ has been claiming that the comic book story was the "official history" when nothing could be farther from the truth. There's plenty of people who have heard Mittens talk about the fall of BoB since then who have said that he gave everyone credit, the official goonswarm wiki tells the whole story. I mean, anyone who read those comic books, knows that there is nothing about them that was correct.

edit: everyone read the comic book because it was free, but I cannot stress enough that nobody should pay money for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jm20 posted:

It was DKUK IIRC

They gave us both systems, but N-T didn't have a station at the time. We dropped the N-T station ourselves and had both.

Endie posted:

I am irate at being written out in your version and shall be petitioning to get the Goonplatoon corp which I shall take to Syndicate to be Truer Gooniers.

i still own the oldest goon corp in the game, gooncorp :getin:

when i finally launch my revolution i'll be the trugooniest goon of all

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 24, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

What's the relationship between NCDOT and Triumvirate, which seems to have been resurrected and is now holding sov?

One of the more important wars that GSF (LODRA at the time) got involved in was when ATLAS fell, as that was the first war that showed the power of massed supercarriers. The same coalition that took out ATLAS went and smacked the old NC around a year later.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

They gave us both systems, but N-T didn't have a station at the time. We dropped the N-T station ourselves and had both.

I had been convinced that we actually got DKUK first, but according to dotlan N-T's sov was transferred to us weeks before DKUK.

The diplo role at that point was largely made up of TCF guys coming to me and saying "we understand that you need room but we said you could use that constellation for le ratting but zere is a goon botting in RG9 25 jumps away sacre bleu etc etc"

Endie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Endie posted:

I had been convinced that we actually got DKUK first, but according to dotlan N-T's sov was transferred to use weeks before DKUK.

The diplo role at that point was largely made up of TCF guys coming to me and saying "we understand that you need room but we said you could use that constellation for le ratting but zere is a goon botting in RG9 25 jumps away sacre bleu etc etc"

We had DKUK first, I distinctly remember that. We moved into the station (since it was there), and then it was transferred a bit later. N-T was then given, and the station was crowdfunded, with the biggest funding squad being given naming rights (N-Theta We Trust).

At the time I think White NoiseDOT or someone had being in venal a fair bit, and having someone in that area of Dek helped TCF out a lot.

edit: also important was that the russians had also offered up a couch, but their deal was worse (basically just live there; become a pseudo-pet)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

What's the relationship between NCDOT and Triumvirate, which seems to have been resurrected and is now holding sov?

One of the more important wars that GSF (LODRA at the time) got involved in was when ATLAS fell, as that was the first war that showed the power of massed supercarriers. The same coalition that took out ATLAS went and smacked the old NC around a year later.

Triumvirate was an alliance that died and was resurrected a few times, pretty much ending with the successful creation of NC.. I don't know the provenance of current Triumvirate but I think it's basically unrelated to the original entity, though it might have a few people in common.

Endie posted:

I had been convinced that we actually got DKUK first, but according to dotlan N-T's sov was transferred to us weeks before DKUK.

My recollection is that we were allowed to move into DKUK and live in it, but that because it was a entryway system and we were a pretty weak alliance at the time they kept the sov. So dotlan wouldn't reflect when we started living there, just when we were deemed competent enough to own the sov.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 24, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

evilweasel posted:

IT alliance and its allies reacted by managing to take sov over Goonswarm's key systems before Goonswarm could (the market and the capital staging system)

Having just joined Capswarm literally weeks earlier, this was a hell of a shock. Go to bed after a night of ~goodfights~ in my shiny new carrier thinking all was well, wake up to find myself in an enemy-held station. Joining a midnight breakout op a week or so later was one of the more intense moments of my Eve life (especially since my power supply went bang halfway through and I had to log back in from my laptop).

Oh - does the book cover Evil Thug's backstab for new teeth and/or isk from RMTing Russians monopolising that one complex?

quote:

At first, GSF lived in one constellation in Deklein, and then when TCF started to decline they turned the whole region over to GSF, and GSF took their place as part of the Northern Coalition.

I was around for this bit, and one of my GSRecon guys was giving me inside info from the French side. Basically, TCF as a whole decided they were becoming stagnant and voluntarily dropped sov, which outside of PL was not exactly a common choice at the time. This caused...some disagreement internally I guess. Some TCF corps left TCF and joined us directly (just as earlier in the day we picked up a few Russian corps from our old Russian allies - whatever happened to Papa Digger?), some TCF corps, particularly some Quebecois corp I don't remember any more, really didn't like us and started shooting us as they evac'd (claiming ignorance in public, but my guy could feed me info in French from their internal forum that made clear it was deliberate corp policy; once I translated that and put it in illum they got reset). As far as I'm aware they all pretty much disappeared shortly afterwards.

Puskarich
Nov 26, 2008

Endie posted:

Hoegaarden has already showed you the door, but you must open it and put Bat in clockwork.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
fuckin quebecois

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Does he still actually post here? Because I do not. I thought he might be called The Mittani here too like I use my forum name. But then it has just occurred to me as I type this that a lot of people wouldn't do that.

I haven't seen anyone give you the actual answer yet, but he's Numismancer. He doesn't seem to post very often these days. He's the guy with the AV of a tank and something about the (no longer existent) People's Republic of Deklein.

Edit: sorry Drythe, that'll learn me to read good :shobon:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2016

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

evilweasel posted:

My recollection is that we were allowed to move into DKUK and live in it, but that because it was a entryway system and we were a pretty weak alliance at the time they kept the sov. So dotlan wouldn't reflect when we started living there, just when we were deemed competent enough to own the sov.

That makes sense. I loved that time: 2010 until the victory in Fountain in 2013 was the journey from our perigee to our apogee.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

feedmegin posted:

Having just joined Capswarm literally weeks earlier, this was a hell of a shock. Go to bed after a night of ~goodfights~ in my shiny new carrier thinking all was well, wake up to find myself in an enemy-held station. Joining a midnight breakout op a week or so later was one of the more intense moments of my Eve life (especially since my power supply went bang halfway through and I had to log back in from my laptop).

I owned a 40 tower reactor farm in that system at the time, which had most of my net worth in it. I was very, very lucky I had insomnia that day and woke up early enough that I could get my jump freighter into space to start evaccing the valuable stuff. It was a rough few days, but fortunately IT/AAA had much better things to do than interfere. I still wound up trashing like 10-15b of stuff, but I hauled out at least 40b of stuff I probably would have lost if I hadn't had my JF in space when they started camping the station.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I haven't seen anyone give you the actual answer yet, but he's Numismancer. He doesn't seem to post very often these days. He's the guy with the AV of a tank and something about the (no longer existent) People's Republic of Deklein.

I literally linked to his profile :colbert:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

I owned a 40 tower reactor farm in that system at the time, which had most of my net worth in it. I was very, very lucky I had insomnia that day and woke up early enough that I could get my jump freighter into space to start evaccing the valuable stuff. It was a rough few days, but fortunately IT/AAA had much better things to do than interfere. I still wound up trashing like 10-15b of stuff, but I hauled out at least 40b of stuff I probably would have lost if I hadn't had my JF in space when they started camping the station.

Weren't you part of the group that got insanely rich off of the botched introduction of PI a bit later as well?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Landsknecht posted:

Weren't you part of the group that got insanely rich off of the botched introduction of PI a bit later as well?

most of goonfleetswarm got a piece of that pie, i swung by late as gently caress and still made like 5 or 10b off 1b or less

also they loving tipped off boat before telling other people so he made a loving fortune the dickheads

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Landsknecht posted:

PL killed Atlas and various friends. As lodra was losing a war to ev0ke and becoming a TCF pet pl did a full circuit of the game starting in Geminate. We then went to scalding pass and blew up Atlas. Then we went south and blew AAA up. Something they never recovered from. Then we started blowing up IT alliance but got requested to do there NC in whom had moved into geminate after we purged there region. This pissed the Russian off so we killed the NC for them.

The "goons won eve" line is pretty hollow since pl had broken up every coalition during 2010-2010 and they never organised to be as powerful as the old great war coalitions. Everyone was smaller and weaker because it afforded them more freedom from God awful pubbies like MoA.

Go read the old israd thread we used to post about our adventure until we got too :effort:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

Yep! The reaction farm got me from poor to moderately space wealthy, guidance systems got me to not really needing to care about isk. Sadly I'd actually burned a lot of isk on a previous bug in the PI introduction where you could reprocess cynojammers into P4s - we laundered our p4s into outposts so they would evade CCP's breaking of the P4s, but that wound up only tripling our money and locking it up until well after the GS train had sailed. So I only wound up getting about 5m, while Aryth got something like 40m.

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

most of goonfleetswarm got a piece of that pie, i swung by late as gently caress and still made like 5 or 10b off 1b or less

also they loving tipped off boat before telling other people so he made a loving fortune the dickheads

we tipped off all of illum but figured we could't tip off everyone without ruining it, unfortunately. Fortunately everyone still made money, except Trzzbk - who got tipped off when they were 418 isk, decided not to invest because he always lost at patch speculation, panicked when they zoomed to 20k the day after the patch, bought in then, then panicked again when they fell to 10k and sold them all :laffo:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

YouTuber posted:

The "goons won eve" line is pretty hollow since pl had broken up every coalition during 2010-2010 and they never organised to be as powerful as the old great war coalitions. Everyone was smaller and weaker because it afforded them more freedom from God awful pubbies like MoA.

except goonswarm and the CFC, which then won br-5 :sun:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

After reading VG's write-up I really want to buy that book. Oh, that's right: CCP won't go through the extra 15 minutes it takes to enable publishing on the Windows Kindle client. Don't have iOS or Android? Too bad. :argh:
Huh? I bought it from Amazon US and can tell Amazon to deliver it to any of my iOS devices or my Windows client.

Since we're in a history lesson, what happened to NC? I was in Mostly Harmless during the DKUK move, but then I started winning Eve.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hirvox posted:

Huh? I bought it from Amazon US and can tell Amazon to deliver it to any of my iOS devices or my Windows client.

Since we're in a history lesson, what happened to NC? I was in Mostly Harmless during the DKUK move, but then I started winning Eve.

If I recall they made the bad mistake of picking a fight with the Russians, who kicked their poo poo in, and then they crumbled rather like the CFC just did :ohdear:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

the russians are scary

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Timewarp: https://zkillboard.com/related/30004935/200911231900/ :argh:

When you counted dreads +1 X up in capswarm and got dunked by the Russians and :poland:

edit: it was x's, we x'd up ahaha

evilweasel posted:

Yep! The reaction farm got me from poor to moderately space wealthy, guidance systems got me to not really needing to care about isk. Sadly I'd actually burned a lot of isk on a previous bug in the PI introduction where you could reprocess cynojammers into P4s - we laundered our p4s into outposts so they would evade CCP's breaking of the P4s, but that wound up only tripling our money and locking it up until well after the GS train had sailed. So I only wound up getting about 5m, while Aryth got something like 40m.

we tipped off all of illum but figured we could't tip off everyone without ruining it, unfortunately. Fortunately everyone still made money, except Trzzbk - who got tipped off when they were 418 isk, decided not to invest because he always lost at patch speculation, panicked when they zoomed to 20k the day after the patch, bought in then, then panicked again when they fell to 10k and sold them all :laffo:

Trzzbk was never good at making isk

YouTuber posted:

PL killed Atlas and various friends. As lodra was losing a war to ev0ke and becoming a TCF pet pl did a full circuit of the game starting in Geminate. We then went to scalding pass and blew up Atlas. Then we went south and blew AAA up. Something they never recovered from. Then we started blowing up IT alliance but got requested to do there NC in whom had moved into geminate after we purged there region. This pissed the Russian off so we killed the NC for them.

Go read the old israd thread we used to post about our adventure until we got too :effort:

PL has been the wrecking crew for a long time. Even when BoB lost sov, they were there with Razor / MM/ TCF burning down the hundreds of POS. POS sov was awful :cripes:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 24, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

So aryth made like 2T isk off of that? definitely very nice for a 10-20b investment.

What's scary is how much isk all the gambling webapps are making.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The book did cover Evil Thug and his defection against the Red Alliance.

In fact, I am so glad to have read it because so much more is making sense than before. I wasn't part of any of that history, but now I can kind of see where everyone comes from and why the history causes such great tensions. So much goes into the game in the bigger groups that you kind of put your life into it, and so an infraction against your online representative is an infraction against you.

I really do mean it when I say I do not have big plans. I do want to remain small and chill, because reading the book shows what happens when you get too big. People lose faith and enjoyment.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

feedmegin posted:

If I recall they made the bad mistake of picking a fight with the Russians, who kicked their poo poo in, and then they crumbled rather like the CFC just did :ohdear:

After MAX2/H-W the NC basically came to the conclusion that their blob could beat anything, so they just focused on building up the blob.

This meant that their idiotic D-Team (which was a lot of ex-Atlas/AAA and ex-pets of those groups) were suddenly living in Geminate and Vale, and wanting space. They started pushing into the drone regions thinking that MM/Razor would bail them out when push came to shove, but when that moment happened the russians+PL came out on top.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

VideoGames posted:

The book did cover Evil Thug and his defection against the Red Alliance.

In fact, I am so glad to have read it because so much more is making sense than before. I wasn't part of any of that history, but now I can kind of see where everyone comes from and why the history causes such great tensions. So much goes into the game in the bigger groups that you kind of put your life into it, and so an infraction against your online representative is an infraction against you.

I really do mean it when I say I do not have big plans. I do want to remain small and chill, because reading the book shows what happens when you get too big. People lose faith and enjoyment.

Did the book mention Sir Lordex (or whoever) at all? This guy was supposedly the son of a russian aluminum/mining magnate, and he spend piles of money to start his own space group (Red.Overlord).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

Did the book mention Sir Lordex (or whoever) at all? This guy was supposedly the son of a russian aluminum/mining magnate, and he spend piles of money to start his own space group (Red.Overlord).

My recollection is the book mentions it in passing as something that was said that he was never able to confirm.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

evilweasel posted:

My recollection is the book mentions it in passing as something that was said that he was never able to confirm.

We're referring to this book right?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ok, not the worst thing that's been posted in this tread, where is this from?

• Locked thread