Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/oriental.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I hoped this would be Ken's thoughts on Edward Said's critical text. I'm disappointed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That man is a solid argument against allowing just anyone to run a website.

Too bad google's algorithm seems unable to bury his SEO infused shilling.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Last time I met someone from the internet they harassed me at my work but I'd definitely go an check it out anonymously.

Be more careful who you invite to your Craigslist gloryhole

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Do you have screening advice?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

That man is a solid argument against allowing just anyone to run a website.

Too bad google's algorithm seems unable to bury his SEO infused shilling.

I finally looked at his GROWING FAMILY page... did he buy the multiple Mercedes-Benzes from writing bad opinions or from taking bad photos? Because I can do either, especially the bad photos part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I finally looked at his GROWING FAMILY page... did he buy the multiple Mercedes-Benzes from writing bad opinions or from taking bad photos? Because I can do either, especially the bad photos part.

Depends, can you live without a shred of dignity? Will your mattress of money sufficiently shelter you from the hatred of the entire internet?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Depends, can you live without a shred of dignity? Will your mattress of money sufficiently shelter you from the hatred of the entire internet?

1) Can and do

2) Without dignity, I'd have no problem suffering the slings and arrows of my outrageous fortune.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Ken needs to stop force feeding his children

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spedman posted:

Ken needs to stop force feeding his children

I always assumed "growing family" meant he was having more kids, but apparently it just means his kids are getting chubby.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192772505/every-woman-is-beautiful?ref=category

Look at this generous guy - asking strangers for $8500 so he can use his boudoir photography "gift" to shoot women recovering from abusive relationships. $100 gets you a shout out on Facebook!

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

"Once funded I will work with area abuse support to identify the most qualified for these sessions."

I'm imagining a process like:
"Hey, so uh, I want to take pictures of abused women, like sexay stuff. Do you have any gals living at your safe house at the moment who are qualified? I'm looking for someone with really low self-esteem who wants to take their clothes off and be photographed - for free, of course. I'll provide the underwear. Also, it's a plus if the bruises have healed but it's not a requirement."

I'm surprised he doesn't have any backers yet :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

elgarbo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192772505/every-woman-is-beautiful?ref=category

Look at this generous guy - asking strangers for $8500 so he can use his boudoir photography "gift" to shoot women recovering from abusive relationships. $100 gets you a shout out on Facebook!

I like checking the photography section sometimes

This guy wants to empower women too, but won't post any of his photos (20K campaign)
e: :20bux: gets you a few jpegs

She will document mental illness in photos, no she won't post any photos either. Needs 150,000$

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 22, 2016

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

She will document mental illness in photos, no she won't post any photos either. Needs 150,000$

lmao

quote:

I became a photographer the Summer of 2012 and it has been a passion of mine as long as I can remember.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Do you guys ever have problems uploading to Flickr? My poo poo has been timing out all morning, using every browser and uploader combination at my disposal.

Also,

quote:

"Once funded I will work with area abuse support to identify the most qualified for these sessions."

"Hey, so uh, I want to take pictures of abused women, like sexay stuff. Do you have any gals living at your safe house at the moment who are qualified? I'm looking for someone with really low self-esteem who wants to take their clothes off and be photographed - for free, of course. I'll provide the underwear. Also, it's a plus if the bruises have healed but it's not a requirement."

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 22, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

elgarbo posted:

The most abused thing this guy will ever photograph is his own dick

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you have screening advice?
The handful of goons I've met IRL have been fine, contrary to the stereotypes. Revolucion is a solid guy, we went spelunking under Hobart. He's the only Dorkroom regular I've met in person, but I've had mutually-enjoyable-and-beneficial exchanges (film, mainly) with other photogoons. Outside of the Dorkroom, I met most of the local Saskatoon goons through the "Your City Sucks" thread when I lived there, we drank beer and watched hockey games and all was well. You know, like normal human interaction kinda stuff.

Meet for the first time in a public place and plan to be in each other's company for a very limited time - like a single cup of coffee. If the person turns out to be a total weirdo, make an excuse and bail. Don't tell them where you work / live / spend all your free time right away.

This all seems pretty obvious, really. Was this previous unfortunate encounter with a Goon, or with some other denizen of the internet?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Do you guys ever have problems uploading to Flickr? My poo poo has been timing out all morning, using every browser and uploader combination at my disposal.
I had a similar problem a few days ago (Thursday?) but it started working after about 30 minutes of me swearing at it and restarting my computer. Given you had some problems, I guess it wasn't on my end. Maybe they were doing some maintenance on the site and the new guy smacked a smoke alarm with a ladder? (metaphorically)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
A very agitated mentally ill non goon.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
How many of you dorkroom regulars have actually met in person?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The terms of our agreement forbids giving you that information.

Like, you specifically.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dakana and me met on here. We shot both cameras and guns together, are now homies, and I was in his wedding. He's a super good dude.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This very thread's OP AIIAZNSK8ER and I are good friends IRL after meeting through the Dorkroom. I introduced him at our ongoing weekly photo night at the time as "Paul from the Internet" and that seemed to stick.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
That's pretty cool I guess. Are you guys all basement dwelling, neck bearded, opinionated douche nozzles like 365 hog nogger or are you pretty cool? Not that I'd ever meet people from the Internet, but I have guns.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I met and occasionally still meet Mightaswell IRL. We go to eachothers kids' birthdays. He is what you'd call a Chill Dude.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've met Whitezombi and ape. They're cool dudes.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Choicecut posted:

That's pretty cool I guess. Are you guys all basement dwelling, neck bearded, opinionated douche nozzles like 365 hog nogger or are you pretty cool?

nah, just you

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I am one of the oldest and douchiest of nozzles. I have a beard but no neck. My opinion is like my rear end in a top hat. Loud and lovely.

I have met ape, Pham Nuwen, RangerScum, ansel austisms and mrblandaverage.

Many beers lost their lives.

P.S. 365 hog nogger once sent me a postcard.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Dorkroomers I've met: Ansel Autisms, a cyberpunk goose, Musket, 8th-snype, Spime Wrangler, 365 Nog Hogger, Mightaswell, RangerScum, and Whitezombi.

I've been meeting goons IRL for 15 years now :stare:

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I like the cut of your jibs. Where is everyone from? Do you guys still meet up? You are all really good photographers and a guy could learn a thing or two.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've met lots of photogoons in Portland (where I'm based) and Albuquerque.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I am in Kyiv, Slovakia and Zürich. More than happy to meet Goons and take bad photos together.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Northwest Ohio

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Think there are at least two other goons in Kansas City, but never met them.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Met McMadCow, Wafflecopper, dorkasaurus_rex deliberately, others by accident.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Everyone is far away, but it's pretty cool how many of you have met up. The interwebs are chock full of gently caress ups and retards.

I have a close friend that was a local goon, King Metal, but he moved a million miles away to Santiago, Chile for some vaginal intercourse and I haven't seen him since. He used to take lovely pics with me.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Am I the only dorkroomer in NYC? This place is just crawling with people.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

You should meet up with Mannequin.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

me:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Norrskensren posted:

I'm imagining a process like:

I'm surprised he doesn't have any backers yet :v:

Nothing funnier to me than people who do like 3 free jobs from model mayhem and think that qualifies them as a expert. Empowering boudoir shoots for DV survivors is a tremendous idea, but 'some guy who bought a camera last month' is not the one to pull it off.

Legit. "I want kickstarter to pay for X" is the way to go. Also is he implying that he wants to charge these poor women money, but takes pity on them and pays out of pocket for a motel or whatever?

Super Legit.

thetzar posted:

I'm in NJ. I don't want to meet any of you animals.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Choicecut posted:

That's pretty cool I guess. Are you guys all basement dwelling, neck bearded, opinionated douche nozzles like 365 hog nogger or are you pretty cool? Not that I'd ever meet people from the Internet, but I have guns.

Have we met