Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mortimer posted:

:laffo:

what in the world? 99% of online games are cpu-bound...

:ssh: that's not what CPU-bound means.

The only games that are CPU-bound are things like GTA which are constantly streaming assets and doing large scale simulations. (Also planetside, total war, etc.)

Most games are entirely GPU-bound, especially simple shooters. "Online" doesn't have anything to do with rendering on GPU or using CPU calculations. Do you mean MMOs or what? Either way you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Brannock posted:

If you have other poo poo to do then the penalty won't matter

The penalty is play time, not real time, as far as I can tell.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i had some fun playing with goons last night thanks to the lfg channel of the discord server. but it would really be nice to have modern in-game matchmaking tools, like every other game does, including other blizzard games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hughmoris posted:

Mccree is the character I switch to when my team sucks and I'm getting pissed off.

:same:

I already thought of the twitch copy paste

I have no skill
I cannot aim
I have one main
Mccree's his name

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mortimer posted:

remember: inspect other randoms profiles, and if they don't play primarily support and have average kills per round under 10, maybe find another teammate unless they are cool and fun to play with!!

Having played so much Lucio and Mercy, if this game had a KDR stat I'm pretty sure I'd be -10.0, so this fits pretty well :v:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

mcbexx posted:

The penalty is play time, not real time, as far as I can tell.

Maybe don't be a whiny bitch and you won't have to deal with the hilariously mild consequences for being one

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recommends for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

Are you on console of pc? The finer points are different between them, but in general this holds true. Try not to aim by moving the crosshairs. Set it at around head/upper body level, and then use your strafing to move the crosshair onto the bad guy. Your initial instinct is probably to try and stay relatively stationary while using your mouse/stick to move the crosshair and follow the bad guy. Obviously you need to aim manually as well, but the idea is to try and limit it and rely on relative movement when possible, especially for smaller left/right adjustments.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Brosnan posted:

Maybe don't be a whiny bitch and you won't have to deal with the hilariously mild consequences for being one

Or maybe this type of a drop-in game does not need a leaver penalty for it's unranked mode in the first place.

It's not Dota you know.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Or maybe this type of a drop-in game does not need a leaver penalty for it's unranked mode.

It's not Dota you know.

The kind of catastrophic facerolling that can happen when you're down a man, coupled with the negation of the possibility for a clutch win, would drastically lower the quality of unranked games and make it a really unfun snowball situation if anyone could bail, and this is a silly post.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recommends for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

Playing a lot. Soldier is, I guess, a good choice if you want to 'git gud' at aiming, since he has a hitscan weapon with minimal spread if you hold fire. (you want to burst with him)

His heal and his rockets means you can get a lot of poo poo done and stay alive a lot even if you can't land bullets.

And hell, if you suck, he can keep running back into the fight. Soldier is good.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

Or maybe this type of a drop-in game does not need a leaver penalty for it's unranked mode in the first place.

It's not Dota you know.

Or maybe it didn't have one earlier in closed beta (it didn't) and maybe that lead to lovely player behavior that ruined a much larger number of games (it did) because any time someone didn't feel like they were steamrolling they could just jump into a new game until they found one that would reward their bad playstyle (they did)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Lucio's speed aura affect the speed of the payload in any way?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lower sensitivities and there's a drop down menu for customizing sensitivity on every character

because you'll want higher sensitivity with winston to leap and zap poo poo but a low sensitivity if you wanna dome as widowmaker and hanzo

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Does Lucio's speed aura affect the speed of the payload in any way?

It does not.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Observations on Overwatch:

1) King of the Hill is the best mode

2) It's amazing how often you die to people killing you completely by accident

3) Genji gets way more PotG's than Bastion

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's not Dota you know.

I got disconnected on my very first game yesterday. I wonder if I got that penalty.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Been having a lot of fun with Soldier 76

saved a bastion and mercy in a recent match by dropping a canister and weeding out a flanking McCree in a corridor.

Felt really tactical and poo poo, I just sprayed in there and then shot off a rocket and killed him, Then I zigged to cover and sprayed some more lead into some more enemies faces and dropped them, kept doing this over and over

felt like an onslaught with his sprinting and darting. I actually felt pretty soldiery, thats whats so great about overwatch, each characters feel like the roles that they are.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

The kind of catastrophic facerolling that can happen when you're down a man, coupled with the negation of the possibility for a clutch win, would drastically lower the quality of unranked games and make it a really unfun snowball situation if anyone could bail, and this is a silly post.

When you are down a man, the game will fill that spot in under 10 seconds. Again, not Dota.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
lmao if you ragequit a game because you can't handle playing with random people of varying skill levels

play w/ friends if it bothers you that much

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why is it the worst player on a winning team is always the unsolicited gg or even worse "ez"

I keep seeing these Christmas Story toadies getting carried by legitimately good players.

Rafza posted:

lmao if you ragequit a game because you can't handle playing with random people of varying skill levels

play w/ friends if it bothers you that much

I've got some bad news about my friends

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Neutron posted:

When you are down a man, the game will fill that spot in under 10 seconds. Again, not Dota.

truly, no overwatch games come down to the final seconds, when babies are most likely to be ragequitting

oh wait no the game is literally designed to encourage that with the overtime mechanic so no, its good they punish crybabies

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why is it the worst player on a winning team is always the unsolicited gg or even worse "ez"

I keep seeing these Christmas Story toadies getting carried by legitimately good players.

I've got some bad news about my friends

Because genuinely good players don't feel the need to talk poo poo to compensate for their failures

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Even 10 seconds can be a big deal and it's taken like a minute for me or more in the past. The person who disconnects despawns and loses their entire ult and their replacement will have 0 awareness of what is going in in the match. It's not fair to whatever sucker ends up slotted in to take their place, and it's not fair to the rest of the team either. This is another bad post.

The game should be and is punishing of bad play like this. It's not even that terrible a penalty like a low priority queue in the game you keep bringing up for some reason. Each game takes 10 minutes tops and the penalty is essentially only on the Virtual Hat Points you get toward your next Virtual Hat.

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Grammaton posted:

I got disconnected on my very first game yesterday. I wonder if I got that penalty.
I'd be very surprised if the threshold was that low. I'm going to be perpetually at 75% XP if that's the case with my awful connection. :lol:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've seen people pick widowmaker, see someone else pick widowmaker, then quit.

Ban all quitters.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Game doesn't feel clean yet. Junkrats ult explosion radius needs to be made smaller, stuns are just a suggestion for many abilities, hitboxes need work, some champs are powerful at higher ranks but at lower ranks are useless (Zarya) so that might be fine but awkward, falling off the world map is sometimes still buggy. I feel like the changes that need to be made will make the game "less wacky" (blizzard fans love wackiness) and more tactical, and people might resist them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've never seen a Mei ragequit.

Coincidence?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I've seen people pick widowmaker, see someone else pick widowmaker, then quit.

Ban all quitters.

on the other hand 3 people on my team went Bastion and I immediately bailed. Ban them and also make me president

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DeliciousCookie posted:

Anyone else having weird sound delays when it comes down to ults? I've had a few trigger a few seconds after the ult has already started. Its kinda bizarre since I didn't have any of these issues during the beta.

Yeah at one point I suddenly had a *roar* and a dragon is killing me and then Hanzo's vocal call goes off as I'm dying and I'm like... what?

I was at pretty close range, but it was still weird.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

on the other hand 3 people on my team went Bastion and I immediately bailed. Ban them and also make me president

Lol you missed out on a surefire win. Congrats!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

some champs are powerful at higher ranks but at lower ranks are useless (Zarya) so that might be fine but awkward,

not sure what you mean by this? I don't think heroes get better as you level up

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like this game and can't wait to play it after work

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jinh posted:

I like this game and can't wait to play it after work

Having overwatch info on browser all day at work hasn't been the best on my productivity.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I forgot that 60% of the population isn't interested in actually playing the objective but is still surprised when we lose.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MacheteZombie posted:

At any given 10 level interval there will likely be top champs different from the previous 10 level interval. In 1-10 Zarya for example is not a well played or ferocious champ. Meanwhile any goofball in 1-10 can play bastion to a winning record.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Objective more like subjective.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

MacheteZombie posted:

He means general level of play I think. Noobs don't know to not shoot at Zarya bubbles and pump lead into it just to make her a death machine while well-experienced high level players know to just ignore her for those 2 seconds then kill her.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Zarya is the exact opposite of someone who's better at higher levels.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

^burtle posted:

I forgot that 60% of the population isn't interested in actually playing the objective but is still surprised when we lose.

I had to drop playing Reinhardt on Gibraltar offense of all maps because "stand behind the loving square" is some next level poo poo to my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

^burtle posted:

counterpoint: my last game where we had 2 winstons that did nothing but jump on the point and then die because it was 6v2 and they were jumping ahead of everyone and then got surprised they were the only ones