Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also, just in case: Are Mod Organizer or Skyrim itself installed in program files?

Because they shouldn't be.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

do any of you have good configuration testing protocols you run through when you use a new setup?

I can always get my 200 mods to load but I'm paranoid I'm going to hit something that triggers a crash.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This news is about a month old but nobody posted about it. After 4 years of development, Luftahraan has been canceled: http://www.moddb.com/mods/luftahraan

Shame, that looked really fun. It was supposed to be a whole big city with a ton of content, but it looks like the project was too big and too ambitious. They did release that one standalone dungeon from it, and it looks like they plan to release it as a modding resource for anyone who wants to do something with it, but it's too bad they couldn't pull it together.

On another note, when I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, I seem to have lost my Mod Organizer install. I have all my save games and preferences, but I'm not sure if I can use them anymore since MO is no longer there and I don't know what's installed in those save games. Is there any way to get that back or do I have to do it all over again?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The list of active mods is actually stored in each save - MO can read it - so you could reinstall MO and it'd be a bit laborious, but possible.

That said, you'd think the files are still on your HD. Do you have a MO directory at all anymore?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

my enb (viridian) goes nuts whenever I look at a fireplace indoors, everything turns super bright. I'm running Purity and ELE as well.

how do I fix this?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Psion posted:

The list of active mods is actually stored in each save - MO can read it - so you could reinstall MO and it'd be a bit laborious, but possible.

That said, you'd think the files are still on your HD. Do you have a MO directory at all anymore?

Thanks, it was actually my shortcuts pointing to the wrong drive after the upgrade, so it looks like it's all still intact. :)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

sticklefifer posted:

On another note, when I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, I seem to have lost my Mod Organizer install. I have all my save games and preferences, but I'm not sure if I can use them anymore since MO is no longer there and I don't know what's installed in those save games. Is there any way to get that back or do I have to do it all over again?

If you are desperate, you can open up a save in Notepad or some similar program (preferabbly Notepad++) and your active files will be spelled out in plain text somewhere amongst the garbled gibberish- just search for, say, Skyrim.esm or a file you know is there and you'll find them.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is this game supposed to still have ridiculous load times even on an SSD?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Average Bear posted:

Is this game supposed to still have ridiculous load times even on an SSD?

Do you have a shitload of texture mods and a ENB running? Yes if so.

Without a lot of mods its real quick on my 840, but with the normal operating procedures of like 10gigs of updated textures and all that nonsense it takes significantly longer.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I run mine on an SSD (MO on the same SSD) and I have sub-5 seconds load times mostly, maybe 10 or so on initial load if it's outdoors or a busy cell.

So I ran into a bug. My character doesn't absorb dragon souls. :( Anyone seent his before? Saw something about it being a bug with the latest unofficial patch but I fear I will break too much if I try to disable the patch.

The only other dragon-related mods I run are Deadly Dragons, Dragons Diversified and possibly Immersive Creatures. I also run SXP and SPERG but I don't think those affect dragons, though they do fiddle with the character.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Foxhound posted:

I run mine on an SSD (MO on the same SSD) and I have sub-5 seconds load times mostly, maybe 10 or so on initial load if it's outdoors or a busy cell.

So I ran into a bug. My character doesn't absorb dragon souls. :( Anyone seent his before? Saw something about it being a bug with the latest unofficial patch but I fear I will break too much if I try to disable the patch.

The only other dragon-related mods I run are Deadly Dragons, Dragons Diversified and possibly Immersive Creatures. I also run SXP and SPERG but I don't think those affect dragons, though they do fiddle with the character.

If I remember right that bug fixes itself if you sort the unofficial patches right. So main patch right after Skyrim.esp and then the next dlc and it's patch and so on. If you put the main game files in one group and the patches in another group that bug happens.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I got the Legendary edition patch though as it the page for the unofficial skyrim patch refered to it. Should I not have done that?

Edit: nevermind, checked the page for the legendary edition patch and it's a known issue with Diversified Dragons. I'm an idiot. Thanks

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 23, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

alternate dumb fix: skytweak more dragon souls whenever you kill one :downs:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I haven't played this game for like a year after pretty much maxing out my load order. Has there been any interesting mods that'd make Skyrim worth reinstalling, even if it's just updates to previous mods?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm glad I'm almost done with my current playthrough. This game is so unstable it becomes totally unplayable. I'm almost guaranteed to crash in every lengthy fight with literally no ideas why. Logs don't give any clues, script test seems to be running well within normal speeds. I think the next time I play through I'm going to have to cut a ton of mods to try to prevent my 120+ hour save games from just becoming useless.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

graynull posted:

I'm glad I'm almost done with my current playthrough. This game is so unstable it becomes totally unplayable. I'm almost guaranteed to crash in every lengthy fight with literally no ideas why. Logs don't give any clues, script test seems to be running well within normal speeds. I think the next time I play through I'm going to have to cut a ton of mods to try to prevent my 120+ hour save games from just becoming useless.

post load order?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Mortimer posted:

post load order?

http://pastebin.com/hCxACD9B

Just a fairly standard LOOT-sorting, with ENB Boost running. It's not like it has been lovely since I started, but as all my heavily modded games have progressed it just gets worse and worse as time goes by. Hard to troubleshoot something like that, and it's not like it's a good idea to start stripping mods during gameplay anyhow.

e:VVV Saves are larger than when I started (about 23mb) but I don't know if that represents bloat or not. My other old save with ~175 hours is about the same size and used quite a few different mods.

e2: VVV I am using the most recent Crash Fixes I believe.

graynull fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 24, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

graynull posted:

Just a fairly standard LOOT-sorting, with ENB Boost running. It's not like it has been lovely since I started, but as all my heavily modded games have progressed it just gets worse and worse as time goes by. Hard to troubleshoot something like that, and it's not like it's a good idea to start stripping mods during gameplay anyhow.

are your saves expanding in size?

I switched from CoT + ELEX to Purity + ELE and my games have been butter ever since. Also I ditched Open Cities because it has 100000 patches for everything and I just don't care that much, ETaC + Dawn of Skyrim looks nicer anyway, who cares if it isn't the same worldspace.

I'd just go through any just cut anything that seems like it might contribute to your crashes, brevity is the soul of stability

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

graynull posted:

Have you tried out Crash Fixes on Nexus? It might help with your issues.

I'd link it but I'm phoneposting.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

graynull posted:

e:VVV Saves are larger than when I started (about 23mb) but I don't know if that represents bloat or not. My other old save with ~175 hours is about the same size and used quite a few different mods.

e2: VVV I am using the most recent Crash Fixes I believe.

From just browsing your list it looks like you ran into a problem I had, which is that LOOT apparently likes to order the "Fixes" series, Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, Ordinator, Morrowloot Unlimited, and all their dozens of patches in a completely screwy way and not anything like what the author of Fixes/CCOR/CACO suggests. You have some patches loading before one of their base mods, stuff like that. I don't know if that would cause any instabilities though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What happened to Wyrmstooth guy? He deleted the mod on Steam and Nexus.

That and the ThirteenOranges stuff was some of the only "content" mods I've ever touched that felt like it was part of the base game. Even the VO I heard was about on par with the Beth VO, no lovely mic setup/odd echos. Didn't even realize I was doing a mod quest until halfway through it when I wikied something and it didn't show up on the official wikis.

Anybody got a link to it I guess?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rookersh posted:

What happened to Wyrmstooth guy? He deleted the mod on Steam and Nexus.

He seems to have scrubbed every trace of his online existence to the best of his ability so it's something weird and probably not the usual modder drama.

quote:

r/modpiracy does probably.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rookersh posted:

Raygereio posted:

Link
There are more links for on the modpiracy reddit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dear Falskar dev: so close, so very close.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
The Wyrmstooth guy said that he said he couldn't trust himself to stay away from modding while being unemployed and in serious need of a job, so he got rid of everything. Kind of extreme, but not nearly as melodramatic as many modders who leave the scene. It's probably for the best, since Wyrmstooth was starting to show signs of feature creep (Ayleid ruins?), IMO.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Notably you can still get banned for linking a rehost of wyrmstooth on r/skyrimmods.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alasyre posted:

The Wyrmstooth guy said that he said he couldn't trust himself to stay away from modding while being unemployed and in serious need of a job, so he got rid of everything. Kind of extreme, but not nearly as melodramatic as many modders who leave the scene. It's probably for the best, since Wyrmstooth was starting to show signs of feature creep (Ayleid ruins?), IMO.
On the one hand, that's totally reasonable. On the other, it kinda sucks that he decided the best way to do it was to make it impossible for future users rather than just... hell if I know, changing the master password on a OnePass account that has all his modding-related stuff to a string of gibberish and setting up a single automated email to himself in the future with no other record of that password... or something. You know what I mean. Why not just lock himself out but leave everything intact for end users?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, it's a bit much. But he always seemed to think that Wyrmstooth wasn't as well-received as it clearly was, and walked away from it before but came back to work on it again. It's a shame, but he probably didn't think people would miss it? I've always said it deserved more praise than Falskaar. I'm glad he recognized it as a distraction and is getting his poo poo together, though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, that puts aside the mystery of what happened to the Wyrmstooth guy.
It would be additional stress having people message him about bugs, typos, things that need to be fixed. Not something you want to deal with when you're trying desperately to find a job.
It could have been a lot more serious, but instead it's just about him getting his life together :unsmith:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, the impression I've gotten so far is that he's just doing his best to minimize any chance of him wasting time on hobbies when he could be using that time to find employment instead.

And that carries with it the implication that whenever he eventually finds a job, Wyrmstooth and his other mods might make a comeback.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Falskaar is really bad and I hope the worst for Alexander J Velicky

I hope bungee is making him work 90 hour weeks so his childhood dream comes true

e: growing up hoping bethesda hires you is like growing up wanting to work for geico or apple except somehow less cool and more grueling

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mortimer posted:

Falskaar is really bad and I hope the worst for Alexander J Velicky

I hope bungee is making him work 90 hour weeks so his childhood dream comes true

This is a bit much for "making an overrated video game mod."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

This is a bit much for "making an overrated video game mod."

yeah, the dude's giving it away for free. it's not like he's the Star Citizen guy and thinking he's the poo poo while robbing people and never delivering.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*Ears and tail perk up at the sound of "star citizen"*

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does anyone have an opinion on Expanded Towns and Cities?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's really nice but it has like a zillion patches so I don't use it anymore because it got to be too much trouble to deal with

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

I've been using it, it's really solid. Nothing flashy, doesn't add new voice acting thankfully. Just makes towns have a few more buildings or stalls. Adds walls to some settlements too.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Shear Modulus posted:

It's fantastic, but it's a commitment.

It's split up into a bunch of little plugins that break if you try to merge them, and then you need to kind of tiptoe around it due to compatibility concerns and/or install a lot of patches. A lot of vanilla buildings are scooted just a few inches one way or another and that can be enough to cause clashes with other mods. So basically you need to know what you're getting into and you need to be ALL IN with that poo poo. But in my opinion it is worth it because it's a really great mod.

As I've pointed out before, it's not just cosmetic, it adds stuff like vendors and rentable rooms in a lot of convenient locations, like you don't have to zone into Whiterun to unload your trash because there are merchants chilling out front.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
ETaC merges fine, you just need to load the merge into the creation kit to regenerate navmeshes afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I finally ditched ENB in favor of Imaginator and I Can't Believe It Not ENB 3. I'm happy with the result, since my FPS doubled even with heavy and distant grass (Verdant), SFO, and a ton of texture mods. I dip down to 30 in forests occasionally, and I seem to be getting some mad stuttering at times, but overall, I think it's a good replacement. Shadows look like poo poo; are there any mods or tweaks I can use to make them a bit better?

Edit: Actually this worked nicely for shadows.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread