Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
hampstead is already a ghetto (of rich celebrities and other wealthy arseholes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
friends a beautiful long boy has arrived

a good place to put your gaming pc on the way to the lan sesh

what a nice place for the poo to come out

how many men on the train ? the train knows and for your comfort will tell you

with 12 carriages he is 240 metres long... and every carriages has no obstruction between...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

with 12 carriages he is 240 metres long... and every carriages has no obstruction between...

very nice

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

although they haven't left space for crossrail on the status board!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

although they haven't left space for crossrail on the status board!

that's tfl rail friend... which will become crossrail in stages (it has to be completed before they can run trains on it)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i wish transit aesthetic was less plastic windows xp and more wood + metal + leather

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

that's tfl rail friend... which will become crossrail in stages (it has to be completed before they can run trains on it)

I thought tfl rail was that weird line going out of Liverpool Street. Does it include the initial parts of crossrail too?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Metrication posted:

that is some hot poo poo

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

I thought tfl rail was that weird line going out of Liverpool Street. Does it include the initial parts of crossrail too?

tfl rail, the line between liverpool street and shenfield will be the north eastern portion of crossrail

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Bloody posted:

that is some hot poo poo

it is unlikely to be as they have air conditioning 😤😤😤

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

what this says is if you removed the bike lanes and banned bikes from roads it would improve traffic flow even more.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

LastInLine posted:

busing and cycling is something that can work in some places but its ridiculously elitist and really stupid to think it could work in any but a handful of us cities that were built exclusively around the twins ideas of the ubiquity of personal transportation and gently caress the poors

how is it elitist when, as you said, gently caress the poors? how is it the poors fault the rich cant bike because they moved far away? my city was made after cars and everything seems fine here, in the community they all left to move to the suburbs from (now they moving back tho $$$)

i get theres poors in countryside, but how is riding a bike and getting trash thrown at u from cars elitist

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I want NYC to pull the trigger and start making bus/bike only roads. they're toying with it for the L train closure on 14th St and the only other place is Fulton mall in Brooklyn, which is cool

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Triglav posted:

how is it elitist when, as you said, gently caress the poors? how is it the poors fault the rich cant bike because they moved far away? my city was made after cars and everything seems fine here, in the community they all left to move to the suburbs from (now they moving back tho $$$)

i get theres poors in countryside, but how is riding a bike and getting trash thrown at u from cars elitist

in a typical post-war suburban town, it's thought that only poor people or those with DUIs should be without a car, therefore everyone on a bike is suspicious.

it's considered elitist when people who can afford a car use a bike instead. the typical suburbanite living the dream off of a 6 lane highway, 10 miles from a grocery store can't fathom why someone would choose to cycle as a means of transport except as an expression of highfalutin liberal frippery

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

One thing that often annoys me are those lovely little patches or verges of bushes that people build to pretend the new development is green or something. They're a waste of space and I variably look like poo poo. would make way more space to consolidate all that land into a park elsewhere instead

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

One thing that often annoys me are those lovely little patches or verges of bushes that people build to pretend the new development is green or something. They're a waste of space and I variably look like poo poo. would make way more space to consolidate all that land into a park elsewhere instead

Why yes, this is a noble country manor for for the English countryside! Just look at the 6ft tall locust tree and three hostas!

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

maybe too much concrete looks depressing

decade or so ago they put baby trees in on the street and it looked stupid for a few years but it started looking nice eventually but they just tore a bunch out lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

theflyingexecutive posted:

I want NYC to pull the trigger and start making bus/bike only roads.

Broadway is slowly being converted away from car traffic into public seating for outdoor lunch, it is a start of a nice direction.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

These are actually required by zoning/building codes though. This is why when you park at a store or someplace recently built, you can choose to dodge cars in a hazardous concrete wasteland or walk through rocky outposts of decorative thorn bushes. It's a cruel joke played on suburban shoppers by civil engineers.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Like any newly built public space, parking lots are actively hostile to pedestrians, despite the fact that their purpose is to convert cars to pedestrians.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Triglav posted:

maybe too much concrete looks depressing

decade or so ago they put baby trees in on the street and it looked stupid for a few years but it started looking nice eventually but they just tore a bunch out lol

trees are cool and good, it's the little bushes and weird triangles of turf and small plants which are bad

yard salad posted:

Like any newly built public space, parking lots are actively hostile to pedestrians, despite the fact that their purpose is to convert cars to pedestrians.

i'd love it if more places charged market rates for parking.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

theres an airbnb for parking spaces

stupid as poo poo but it's out there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i consider it more of an uber for parking spaces

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Broadway is slowly being converted away from car traffic into public seating for outdoor lunch, it is a start of a nice direction.

you used to not be able to walk in Times Square when it was open to traffic, the fact that you still can't walk there is a pretty big tribute to how much good it does for tourism

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
i think we found out what shaggar was doing in boston: https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/05/24/wires-strung-across-state-trails

quote:

Bike riders should watch out for “maliciously strung” wires across trails in the southeastern part of the state, according to Massachusetts Environmental Police.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
trail biking is a fun hobby and is a good use of a bike

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

filtering past gridlocked motor traffic is a fun hobby and is a good use of a bike

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaggar posted:

trail biking is a fun hobby and is a good use of a bike

even shaggar agrees that all cities should be filled with biking trails and cars banned wow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i live in the bay area (redwood city) and i ride my bicycle to work every day. i happen to also work in redwood city, and i ride just over a mile, so i could walk, i'm just lazy. but i could reasonably commute by bike south to palo alto or north to san mateo. there are more tech jobs between rwc and either of these locations than exist in the entire state of maine. combined with caltrain (free gopass from employer ofc) i could go anywhere on the peninsula where a job might be, without any need for a car

The span from San Mateo to Palo Alto has 26% of Maine's population

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

what percentage of maine's ticks can be found there

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

except, you know, being able to walk to get groceries or anything that isn't a gas stop 7-11 within a 10 minute drive

let's hope gas never gets expensive

This is where installing a car charger in your suburban garage comes in

Checkmate obamailures

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

maine is bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i grew up in maine in an area completely devoid of public transportation of any kind. no buses, no trains, only a single taxi car that you had to call in advance, but instead of shaggaring it up i loved public transit as soon as i lived in a place that had it

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I went to Maine for vacation. We ate lobster and went sailing. It was good.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MrMoo posted:

yea thatd be p deece i guess. should put a trolley or whatever like they have at the grove down it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

trolleys are bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bloody posted:

trolleys are bad

ppl like to ridet on them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk about trolleys, but modern streetcars/lrt are pretty nice. they don't bounce around like buses and they hold 2x the number of people per vehicle than even the larger articulated buses

assuming you don't buy them from bombardier

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

infernal machines posted:

idk about trolleys, but modern streetcars/lrt are pretty nice. they don't bounce around like buses and they hold 2x the number of people per vehicle than even the larger articulated buses

assuming you don't buy them from bombardier

dont want a bus or something ugly and fast like that on broadway if it was closed to cars and basically a giant outdoor mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, it's a different use case

we just brought our refurbished 60 year old PCC cars out of retirement to run along the lakeshore/queens quay (waterfront) line. it's charming

• Locked thread