Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, Kodiak's argument hasn't changed at all dude.
"the predictions – which I've been seeing for years – that Blizzard would promote the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales were such ridiculous bullshit. There is no way they invest their own resources into something that they, at best, indirectly receive money for, as compared to something they get all the money for (Overwatch, World of Warcraft, etc.)."
Which, yeah, he's right. In no way has "Blizzard promoted the movie by giving away in-game stuff for ticket sales". You can't really argue that.

Again, what difference does it make if the items require a ticket purchase or are free to anyone who logs in? The initial argument, as part of the greater point that Blizzard wasn't behind the film, was that they wouldn't invest resources on promotional giveaways. Then, it was that they weren't promoting the film in the game. Now, it's whether or not the promotional items benefit the game or the movie (it's both).

One way or another, their huge fanbase is going to be aware of this movie when it comes out. It looks like colorful family-friendly fantasy people might take their older kids to in the week between TMNT 2 and Finding Dory. I'm not making a prediction, but I'm not convinced it will bomb like the conventional wisdom here suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Warcraft: The Beginning has cool and chaotic fight scenes, all packed into a mix of superb CGI animation and live characters and environments. Subtle filmmaking it is not, but Warcraft never was going to be anything but a hard-hitting, effect-laden fantasy film.

quote:

Warcraft: The Beginning har tøffe og kaotiske krigsscener, alt pakket inn i miks av ypperlig CGI-animasjon og virkelige figurer og omgivelser. Subtil filmkunst er det ikke, men Warcraft kunne aldri være annet enn en hardtslående og effektfull fantasifilm.

http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2016/05/warcraft-the-beginning/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Holyshoot posted:

No joke. Chinese people go crazy for his movies. Look it up.

And that's different from other countries how?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

And that's different from other countries how?

Guess I should have been more specific. They like terminator and helped saved Terminator Genisys from bombing at the box office completely. This was a terrible movie but they clearly loved it so my point still stands that I would take the pre-order ticket sales over there with a grain of salt.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Terminator-Genisys#tab=international

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

Again, what difference does it make if the items require a ticket purchase or are free to anyone who logs in?

When the question is whether Blizzard is investing game development resources into increasing ticket sales, whether or not a give-away is dependent on ticket sales seems pretty relevant.

But perhaps this will clarify better. I was posting in relation to a specific argument that has been running around the Internet for a couple of years. Here's a post from the greenlighted thread that's a representative example:

Len posted:

All they have to do to male Warcraft sell crazy is make a way to turn tickets into mounts or pets pr some poo poo. WoW players eat that stuff up.

Note that I am suspicious of the claim that I keep changing my argument when two posts down from the one linked above is me making in 2015 the same argument I'm making here.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Holyshoot posted:

Guess I should have been more specific. They like terminator and helped saved Terminator Genisys from bombing at the box office completely. This was a terrible movie but they clearly loved it so my point still stands that I would take the pre-order ticket sales over there with a grain of salt.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Terminator-Genisys#tab=international

What are we supposed to be skeptical of exactly? Chinese people are buying a lot of tickets. The film will probably be very successful there. Terminator was also a success in China, and overall. This is factual, no salt required.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's reports popping up all over the net that pre-sales for Warcraft opened in China yesterday and blew the gently caress up

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/73779347?jumpto=11

:psyduck:

They just want to know what that dumb game they were paid to farm gold in 10 years ago was about.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great write up with Duncan Jones and going through making this movie with your wife getting a double mastectomy then your dad dying and now his wife is about to give birth. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/movies/duncan-jones-bowies-son-on-making-warcraft-and-facing-his-own-battles.html?login=email

quote:

“Warcraft,” which carries a costly price tag and faces steep competition at the summer box office, has been flagged as one of the summer’s riskiest releases by trade publications like The Hollywood Reporter.

But Mr. Jones earned praise from his cast members for never being overwhelmed by the scope of the film, which required a lot of on-set imagination to fill in characters and settings that were added months later.

“There’s times where we’re all lined up and you have to ask him, ‘Where are we, and where are we going?’” said Travis Fimmel (a star of TV’s “Vikings” and the film “Maggie’s Plan”), who plays the film’s human hero, Anduin Lothar. “You just have no idea. Duncan just had every answer. He’d spent so long preparing that he had the whole film in his head already.”

Toby Kebbell, who plays the orc Durotan, a tribal leader and father to be, said he was surprised to find that Mr. Jones, beneath a pleasantly rumpled exterior, has the desire to be a director on the scale of James Cameron or Peter Jackson.

“Anyone who comes into that category is absolutely a lion,” Mr. Kebbell said. “The ambition is something to respect. I think it’s wonderful that someone we all thought was going to be lo-fi has actually got the ability to take a genre piece, make it fun, keep it entertaining and choke you up.”

quote:

Mr. Jones said that his father, an avid fan of fantasy and science fiction (and a star of films like “Labyrinth”) had been encouraging of “Warcraft.”

“I showed him an early, early cut of the film,” Mr. Jones said, “and he was very excited for me, and was pretty amazed about how we achieved some of the visuals. I took him through how we did some things.

“It’s always nerve-racking, showing your parents things you’ve been working on,” he added. “But he loved ‘Moon,’ and he loved ‘Source Code.’

“He’s always been incredibly supportive,” Mr. Jones said, using the present tense.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Toady posted:

Again, what difference does it make if the items require a ticket purchase or are free to anyone who logs in? The initial argument, as part of the greater point that Blizzard wasn't behind the film, was that they wouldn't invest resources on promotional giveaways. Then, it was that they weren't promoting the film in the game. Now, it's whether or not the promotional items benefit the game or the movie (it's both).

Nah, the Kodiak post I quoted was his first one. His argument didn't change, and again, I don't see a point where you can prove him wrong.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Nah, the Kodiak post I quoted was his first one. His argument didn't change, and again, I don't see a point where you can prove him wrong.

I called it hair-splitting. "The question is whether Blizzard is investing game development resources into increasing ticket sales." Of course they are. Despite this being a licensed product they supposedly don't care about, they've been promoting it for years and hosting Blizzcon panels with cast and crew. Chris Metzen is a co-producer.

Toady fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 24, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Toady posted:

I called it hair-splitting. It doesn't matter if the cross-promotional items don't require a ticket purchase. Blizzard is investing developer resources in promoting the film. Despite this being a licensed product they supposedly don't care about, they've been promoting it for years and hosting Blizzcon panels with cast and crew. Chris Metzen is a co-producer.

I'd call it hair splitting too if I was wrong & trying to change the subject.
(also, come on dude, even you know you're wrong - I saw you edit out that Kodiak quote cuz you realized it didn't prove your point)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

I'd call it hair splitting too if I was wrong & trying to change the subject.
(also, come on dude, even you know you're wrong - I saw you edit out that Kodiak quote cuz you realized it didn't prove your point)

You caught me mid-edit. This is a weird hill to die on. Why is it important to the argument about Blizzard's supposed disinterest in promoting the film that the items don't require a ticket purchase?

Edit: To refresh your memory, the original argument was that Blizzard would never invest resources into this because, as a license job, it's not "something they get all the money for."

Toady fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 25, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

"The question is whether Blizzard is investing game development resources into increasing ticket sales." ... they've been promoting it for years and hosting Blizzcon panels

Yeah, I can see what you edited this before being called out.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I don't know what you're indicating in bold.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

I don't know what you're indicating in bold.

A Blizzcon panel is not a game development resource.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The reviews are out and they are brutal haha.

quote:

“Warcraft” promises, or threatens, sequels, but then so did “Super Mario Bros.” And come to think of it, if forced to watch either of these video-game movies a second time, I’d probably vote for the plumbers.

quote:

Imagine “Battlefield Earth” without the verve and you get this sludgy, tedious fantasy adventure, a fun-starved dud that’s not even unintentionally hilarious

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

A Blizzcon panel is not a game development resource.

You're not following. The in-game items are the game development resource. The rest was a response to the original claim that they're not interested in this because it's a "license job," which you cited as the reason they'd never invest those types of resources to promote it. Of course they will; Metzen considers it his "conceptual redemption" in retelling the story properly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

You're not following. The in-game items are the game development resource. The rest was a response to the original claim that they're not interested in this because it's a "license job," which you cited as the reason they'd never invest those types of resources to promote it.

As I said before, which you ignored:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Game content based on movies is generally recognized as promoting the game, not the movie. That's why licensed games for movies involve the game publisher paying the rights-holder for the film to use their IP. Raven Software/Activision had to pay for the right to make a X-Men Origins: Wolverine game. This is common in games based on existing IP. Rocksteady/Eidos/Square had to pay WB/DC for the right to use Batman in the Arkham games.

Now, I don't think that Blizzard wrote a check to be able to make movie-related cosmetic gear. But if we compare this to how the money usually flows in these transactions, it's generally accepted that movie-related items in a video game benefit the game, not the movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Battlefield Earth had "verve"?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i kinda wish movie theatres just didn't exist in china.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

As I said before, which you ignored:

I didn't ignore it. It's what I was referring to about changing arguments, a tangent about how licensed games pay for use of an IP and therefore these cross-promotion items don't count as cross-promotion.

quote:

But if you’ve never played Warcraft the game, can you care about Warcraft the movie? Given the ardent global following of the franchise, will it matter? For non-aficionados, the two-hour experience could be more concise, but it’s no ordeal. Neither, though, is it consistently involving. If you haven’t already invested in the self-serious mythology, it can feel borderline camp, if not downright dull — or both, as when an uncredited Glenn Close intones platitudes from on high about darkness and light.

Yet there’s no question that it’s a breakthrough in both storytelling and artistry for features based on video games. And compared with another medieval-ish tale, the soporific Hobbit trilogy, this international production is a fleet and nimble ride, likely to conquer overseas box offices and make a solid stand stateside.

Sounds like the movie name-checks the complex lore, which is a shame. It only needed to be a simple story.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Black Bones posted:

Battlefield Earth had "verve"?

I think Battlefield Earth is a solidly so-bad-it's-good film and poo poo like Travolta in a hideous costume chewing the scenery about rat-eating man-animals cracks me the gently caress up, so I guess it can get a 'you tried' award for "verve".

Whereas Warcraft just looks bad.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well I won't watch anything that doesn't have a bunch of verve in it. RIP warcraft https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The reviews are out and they are brutal haha.

Like I'm gonna listen to any of these pieces of poo poo after BvS.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean Transformers makes a ton of money and its universally panned, I just don't think Warcraft has the same brand recognition.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

I didn't ignore it. It's what I was referring to about changing arguments, a tangent about how licensed games pay for use of an IP and therefore these cross-promotion items don't count as cross-promotion.

Accusing me of "changing arguments" is sort of slimy when what you're doing here is presenting my argument as something I never claimed. I never said there wouldn't be "cross promotion." Of course there is, it's inherent in the existence of a licensed product. What I said was that Blizzard wouldn't compensate people who purchased tickets with stuff in-game, which is specifically something that a bunch of people predicted they would do to drive up ticket sales. I never claimed that Blizzard wouldn't acknowledge the existence of the movie. This is why your reading comprehension got made fun of.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When even kotaku, the gutter of the gutter of taste, didn't like your movie, and thought it was bad, there may be problems

quote:

I had hoped Warcraft would at a minimum be entertaining, but really, I’ve had more enjoyable two-hour sessions wiping on Molten Core.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

How would they watch movies in that case? Streaming? Home video? Harsh fates...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean Transformers makes a ton of money and its universally panned, I just don't think Warcraft has the same brand recognition.

Um, it had 10 million subscribers at its peak. I have no doubt that there are people who would literally kill for that sort of brand recognition.

In music, that would be a diamond platinum. Except they were subscriptions. At its peak, WoW was hitting the highest possible sales certification for American pop music monthly.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Accusing me of "changing arguments" is sort of slimy when what you're doing here is presenting my argument as something I never claimed. I never said there wouldn't be "cross promotion." Of course there is, it's inherent in the existence of a licensed product. What I said was that Blizzard wouldn't compensate people who purchased tickets with stuff in-game, which is specifically something that a bunch of people predicted they would do to drive up ticket sales. I never claimed that Blizzard wouldn't acknowledge the existence of the movie. This is why your reading comprehension got made fun of.

And I asked what difference it made that they weren't compensating ticket purchases as long as they were promoting the film. You said "the question of whether they're using the movie to promote the game or the game to promote the movie is the entire point." Tonight, the promotional items unlocked in World of Warcraft, and Coming Soon teasers went up on Battle.net.

I don't care what someone wrote about me. Your argument was that they wouldn't "invest their own resources" in mobilizing their playerbase for a licensed adaptation. This is a 10-year project co-produced by Chris Metzen. It may make little difference at the box office, but they're going to try.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know right? My life was ruined too when I learned there's a cut of Iron Man 3 10,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo Rasa posted:

I know right? My life was ruined too when I learned there's a cut of Iron Man 3 10,000 miles away where a doctor is on screen for two seconds.

Nah, the conspiracy theory is that we have dumb action blockbusters because those dastardly Chinese can't understand English.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is the board that insists that MoS and BvS have value. The board that has swung a majority to vote in favour of the Star Wars prequels.

I'ma gonna enjoy my stupid Warcraft movie and you tasteless goons can't stop me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

This is the board that insists that MoS and BvS have value. The board that has swung a majority to vote in favour of the Star Wars prequels.

I'ma gonna enjoy my stupid Warcraft movie and you tasteless goons can't stop me.

:same:

It's got to the point that I'm hoping a movie gets mixed to bad reviews.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

And I asked what difference it made that they weren't compensating ticket purchases as long as they were promoting the film. You said "the question of whether they're using the movie to promote the game or the game to promote the movie is the entire point." Tonight, the promotional items unlocked in World of Warcraft, and Coming Soon teasers went up on Battle.net.

If you'd like, I could repeat my post about how including movie content in a game has historically been associated with promoting the game, not the movie, but then you'd just accuse me of changing my argument via the basic act of explaining how the evidence you're bringing up in no way contradicts my point, so I won't bother.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you'd like, I could repeat my post about how including movie content in a game has historically been associated with promoting the game, not the movie, but then you'd just accuse me of changing my argument via the basic act of explaining how the evidence you're bringing up in no way contradicts my point, so I won't bother.

You've been arguing this point for more than 24 hours. :psyduck: Can't we talk about how rad the orcs look or something?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

You've been arguing this point for more than 24 hours. :psyduck: Can't we talk about how rad the orcs look or something?

Fine with me :shrug:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

It would be just as silly and irrelevant given that WoW is the IP and the film is the licensed product, so I agree that you shouldn't bother.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toady posted:

WoW is the IP and the film is the licensed product

Doesn't change a thing about how generating user interest works given that the items are specifically movie-themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

computer parts posted:

Nah, the conspiracy theory is that we have dumb action blockbusters because those dastardly Chinese can't understand English.

It's because of those cruel tyrants that my my movie about a cigar-chomping, pun-cracking, time-traveling skeleton will never see the light of day.

• Locked thread