Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
What do you guys like to keep in your greenhouses? I thought about all fruit-trees but I'm kind of torn between that and giving hot-momma Abigail her coveted pumpkins all the time or turning it into full hops and wheat production.

Baby loves her pumpkins.

I'm so lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Starfruit, Hops and Cranberries. You might as well plant a patch of pumpkins if you want, even if you're just gonna use them as gifts for the wife.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

MrSlam posted:

What do you guys like to keep in your greenhouses? I thought about all fruit-trees but I'm kind of torn between that and giving hot-momma Abigail her coveted pumpkins all the time or turning it into full hops and wheat production.

Baby loves her pumpkins.

I'm so lonely.

Starfruit as I slowly use a Seed Machine to fill the thing with Ancient Fruit.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
My greenhouse is exclusively cranberries until I can fill it with Ancient Fruit. Hopefully by that point the update will have rolled and I can spend my literal millions on new buildings.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

MrSlam posted:

Right now, mostly Strawberries with a couple of fruit trees.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought it was because Emily was set on Sandy.

The game doesn't prevent you from breaking up the obviously perfect match of Sebastian and Abigail.

quote:

Took me till my third year until I realised that Clint had a thing for her.

It's not like he's subtle about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Doesn't he have an event that is him explicitly asking you to give him advice to hook up with Emily?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm thinking once I finish year 2 of my second run, I'm going to abandon trying to make money, and just become a crazy hoarder instead. I want to make a really varied garden in the greenhouse. Just have 1 of everything so I could have a kitchen garden and cook any recipe at will. I've already got some trees up along the top row for apples and apricots.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

Doesn't he have an event that is him explicitly asking you to give him advice to hook up with Emily?

Yeah but that requires befriending him and who does that?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

There are like... three Clint events that are about him wanting to hook up with Emily.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I thought we all agreed that Clint was Abigails father. The proof is pretty irrefutable.

Demitrius loves Strawberries. Maru Loves strawberries
Clint loves Amethysts. Abigail loves Amethysts

Meanwhile Abigail and Pierre have no loves in common.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Lurdiak posted:

The game doesn't prevent you from breaking up the obviously perfect match of Sebastian and Abigail.

All the passive matchups in the game kinda suck. Maru doesn't like Harvey, Sam is an irresponsible poo poo who doesn't even think of Penny, Leah and Whats-his-face never meet, the list goes on.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like he's subtle about it.

True, but that would require actually talking to him.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

WarpedNaba posted:

All the passive matchups in the game kinda suck. Maru doesn't like Harvey, Sam is an irresponsible poo poo who doesn't even think of Penny, Leah and Whats-his-face never meet, the list goes on.

True, but that would require actually talking to him.

Sam is friends enough with Penny that they occasionally chill in trees and chat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

All the passive matchups in the game kinda suck. Maru doesn't like Harvey

That matchup is the creepiest thing in the entire game. He's her boss and like 20 years older than her and just ew, ew, ew.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Artificer posted:

Sam is friends enough with Penny that they occasionally chill in trees and chat.

Huh, never saw that. Only saw him playing on his gameboy, doing kickflips or hanging in the pub.

Lurdiak posted:

That matchup is the creepiest thing in the entire game. He's her boss and like 20 years older than her and just ew, ew, ew.

I'unno, how old is he? Maybe late twenties? I think that dumbass moustache makes him look older than he is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I'unno, how old is he? Maybe late twenties? I think that dumbass moustache makes him look older than he is.

You know a lot of late 20s doctors with their own practice?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Being rural changes a lot of norms there. A bunch of places in the US at least offer student loan forgiveness if a doctor goes to his own practice in the country from his residencies for a couple of years, because otherwise a lot of the little towns like Stardew just straight out don't have a physician and if someone gets sick tough poo poo.

I could actually see Harvey only being about 8-10 years older than Maru pretty easily. But then again, Harvey is a dumbhead so who cares.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I know a couple.

Whether or not they're actually good doctors is beyond me.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Lurdiak posted:

Could have been the son of the previous owner, could have just picked up the slack in a village with no doctor.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Coolguye posted:

Being rural changes a lot of norms there. A bunch of places in the US at least offer student loan forgiveness if a doctor goes to his own practice in the country from his residencies for a couple of years, because otherwise a lot of the little towns like Stardew just straight out don't have a physician and if someone gets sick tough poo poo.

I could actually see Harvey only being about 8-10 years older than Maru pretty easily. But then again, Harvey is a dumbhead so who cares.

My uncle is an emergency room doc that moved to extremely rural Minnesota when he got out of medical school in his late twenties. The town was so desperate to have him they payed for his house + some farmland. Mind this was the mid eighties but depending on where you go it's still pretty easy to run your own joint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even the dev says he's "a little old for a bachelor".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Even the dev says he's "a little old for a bachelor".

So am I, according to my mates, and I'm 27.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

WarpedNaba posted:

So am I, according to my mates, and I'm 27.

Clearly you need to chat up more mulatto nurses

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I would if I knew any.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Gibbo posted:

Clearly you need to chat up gift iridium bars to more mulatto nurses

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alex and Haley seem fine as a couple, except for the part where he's obviously gay.

Sebastian and Sam seem more like a couple than Seb/Abby or Sam/Penny, but that comes across as weird because Sebastian's events suggest he's post-college aged while Sam reads as someone fresh out of still in high school.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind if 1.1 had more of the characters interacting together. Like, scenes where Elliot and Leah actually talk to each other, or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The entire thing where the archetypes end up shipped together is a dropped feature too I guess so it's not even entirely real to say that they're even interested in each other

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Coolguye posted:

The entire thing where the archetypes end up shipped together is a dropped feature too I guess so it's not even entirely real to say that they're even interested in each other

Were the archetype pairs ever intended to become romantic pairs? I just figured it was so the player could choose between the male and female version of the doctor/hottie/artist/goth/older sibling.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I wish for Marnie and Lewis to admit their feelings for one another. Elliot should feel up Shane who reluctantly accepts it and calls him baka, telling him to get it out of his system.
Also Jas and Vincent should kiss.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MrSlam posted:

I wish for Marnie and Lewis to admit their feelings for one another. Elliot should feel up Shane who reluctantly accepts it and calls him baka, telling him to get it out of his system.
Also Jas and Vincent should kiss.

Are you trying to spring a trap on someone or are you really this weird

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

ducttape posted:

Were the archetype pairs ever intended to become romantic pairs? I just figured it was so the player could choose between the male and female version of the doctor/hottie/artist/goth/older sibling.

It's been awhile since I looked at the files so I don't have it right in front of me, but there's definitely some unused code in there that seems like it was going to be used to pair up the single characters that the PC doesn't marry. I don't know it for a fact, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a cut feature - there's a few things in those files that point to things like that. An "item of the day" that sells for extra money is also in there.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Are you trying to spring a trap on someone or are you really this weird

Nah I'm just having fun. Marnie and Lewis should at least publicly admit their feelings after Year 2 though. Marnie keeps saying she's single even though Lewis's purple shorts are in her room and he sends you on a special quest to get lube.

edit: Just looked up their Six Heart event. drat it Lewis.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 25, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alakaiser posted:

It's been awhile since I looked at the files so I don't have it right in front of me, but there's definitely some unused code in there that seems like it was going to be used to pair up the single characters that the PC doesn't marry. I don't know it for a fact, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't a cut feature - there's a few things in those files that point to things like that. An "item of the day" that sells for extra money is also in there.

It's a shame he didn't as it would have given the game a lot more soul. Especially if you could have had a hand in encouraging/discouraging other relationships.

I also wish citizens would leave town for a week/month to simulate vacations/summer college/caring for sick relatives.
Characters are... too reliable to be believable.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Marnie is already always on vacation.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Ahaha, I had a good Skull Cavern run, got some iridum, teleported back to the farm, absolutely* placed a bomb, and blew up a bunch of my stuff. Now I have to start the day over.

*accidentally, but absolutely

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 26, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want to convert a farm into a Bomberman map.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MrSlam posted:

Baby loves her pumpkins.

I'm so lonely.

Immortal cranberries surrounded with irridium sprinklers and then I stopped enjoying myself in the game before I even bothered with ancient fruit. I kind of hate that there are game breakers.

For me the game is a hard work simulator with careful time management, so the reward is "wow that was a good day, I really did a lot." but I'm not going to self flagellate and grow parsnips or something. I don't think you should ever be able to upgrade past caring about the seasons or weather because when you do, you stop appreciating them. Surely there's some way to attach a higher level grind to the greenhouse that isn't down the mines but I can't think how.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know some of the Harvest Moon games had some crops that could only be grown in the greenhouse.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
poo poo. Uhhh. I forgot who my Secret Santa was... drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Artificer posted:

poo poo. Uhhh. I forgot who my Secret Santa was... drat.

I think it might tell you in the Journal? You'll get a letter reminding you the day of I think.

Mine was Gus who is fancy and entitled and wanted a Diamond. I scoured the mines looking for one but I ended up getting him a beer instead. A beer he sold to me earlier.

"Oh...a beer...greeeaat...thank you."