Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Day 0/Day 1 impressions:
  • Blizzard's occasional addition of a "this is why what you're about to see got PotG" is really neat
  • Symmetra is really good
  • Teleporters help fix the problem of "three people died, now the enemy team has a 10-20 second window to push harder and exploit their numbers advantage"
  • if the other team has a Symmetra on a Attack/Defense map, you really need to have a player roaming their backfield hunting for teleporters
  • Blindly charging the objective is counterproductive and can easily result in a failure spiral where you get 4v1'ed constantly
  • If you don't have at least parity with the other team's active players, you're going to lose the engagement because they can trade you 1-1 and still maintain presence on the objective
  • Most of the games I've lost have come from half the team getting slowly killed, then the other half keeps slowly dying as the dead players trickle back into the fight one at a time
  • If someone says "group up" or "we need to group up" or "we keep dying" etcetera, the team really ought to take 10 seconds or more to regroup, heal up, and position for the next play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Wales Grey posted:

Day 0/Day 1 impressions:
  • Blizzard's occasional addition of a "this is why what you're about to see got PotG" is really neat

What is this referencing?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Emalde posted:

"Sharpshooter", "Lifesaver", etc

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wales Grey posted:

[*]If you don't have at least parity with the other team's active players, you're going to lose the engagement because they can trade you 1-1 and still maintain presence on the objective

Good stuff, I don't get this one though. By parity you mean having as many players, or killing as much? This whole math thing is above my paygrade.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Emalde posted:

Sometimes when the PotG comes up, I see something in the bottom-middle-right of the screen that's something like "shut down" or "lifesaver". I'm assuming it's Blizzard's system providing context for some of the odd-er PotG that I've seen.

Heavy Metal posted:

Good stuff, I don't get this one though. By parity you mean having as many players, or killing as much? This whole math thing is above my paygrade.

Yes. If the other team has fewer players, they have less damage going out and less HP on/near objectives and once you have numerical superiority you can trade 1-1 until they're all gone. (Trading 1-1 isn't a good idea but it illustrates my point.)

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 24, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Emalde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1tKJaK-yU

Still think it doesn't really take into account factors it should, like support or any sort of teamwork.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

i mentioned a while back that "short range" in this game is actually pretty generous, but I wanted to see exactly what that translated to. so i did some testing, and here's my results:

this is just about on the edge of what the game defines as short range; Mei's gun does 150 damage on a headshot within close range, and the bots have 200 health and each little box represents 25. it's sort of hard to visualize in first person so in the image below i stepped back and left a marker in the third screenshot to hopefully demonstrate a bit more clearly. it's pretty danged far!!

Interesting information. That seems awfully generous for "short" range.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Countblanc posted:

"Sharpshooter", "Lifesaver", etc

Ah, explains that then. Good on ya, Blizz.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Countblanc posted:

i mentioned a while back that "short range" in this game is actually pretty generous, but I wanted to see exactly what that translated to. so i did some testing, and here's my results:

this is just about on the edge of what the game defines as short range; Mei's gun does 150 damage on a headshot within close range, and the bots have 200 health and each little box represents 25. it's sort of hard to visualize in first person so in the image below i stepped back and left a marker in the third screenshot to hopefully demonstrate a bit more clearly. it's pretty danged far!!

I didn't think that Mei's gun reached that far at all, much less as "Close Range"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Finally got around to playing for the first time since official release.

Game is... good? It's good, I think.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Wales Grey posted:

Day 0/Day 1 impressions:

I know it's really early, but the biggest takeaway since launch has been "Do I want to have less fun as Rein or Mercy but win" or "Do I want to play the classes I like, get shut down and lose (because nobody is playing Rein or Mercy)".

Which I have a feeling is going to be an eternal struggle and kind of a lose-lose situation. Bleeeh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I didn't think that Mei's gun reached that far at all, much less as "Close Range"

That's her icicle right-click which has very low ballistic falloff so it actually goes pretty far if you aim just slightly above people's models. Her M1 definitely doesn't go that far though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

anime was right posted:

perhaps maybe...... you were the really bad player

Considering I was one doing the killing and not dying as much while trying to do the objective, I'm gonna say it's not that.

Vermain posted:

You're not really going to see W/L stabilize until you're about 300-400 games in, from my experience, unless they've tweaked the matchmaker since the final days of closed beta.

I think it's important to reiterate, just in general: as this is a team-based game, you're not going to be able to consistently win all of the games you play (unless you've been playing FPS games for 20+ years and dramatically outskill everyone). You're sometimes going to get losing streaks because you'll alternate between games where your team has more players who are doing badly than the enemy and games where you're legitimately playing badly and the rest of your team can't compensate. Focus more on your own incremental improvements rather than the quality of your team and whether you win/lost; you'll savor the victories more (especially the ones where you're clearly carrying the team) and have the losses sting less.

Sure, I'm just saying that in beta I seemed to be matched with people around my skill level. After those 5 games, I went on a tear and changed game sessions every couple matches. I'm loving the game and don't have any complaints honestly. I'm gonna take the L rather than some people in this thread who rage quit, that's just dumb and even more so since it's unranked play.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In my Actually First Round I broke up a Rein/Mercy/Bastion combo on the high ground of Route 66 as Junkrat solo while the rest of the team ate it and did not much.

Then when a buddy of mine asked how to counter bastion I told him to shoot Hanzo's scatter arrow at bation's feet to vape him with no chance to react. Bastion ceased to be a problem in that lobby. Then we won a couple times.

I realize this is generally an unorthodox thing to say on the internet but:

:siren:Y'all were right. I was wrong. Thank you for teaching me how to beat a scrubby character and get much marginally better at the game.:siren:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
friendly reminder to not be that dude who defends on a payload map and then leaves because defense is more fun/easier, so now the attacking team doesn't get to defend

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Steve2911 posted:

Took a drink of milk between lives and dribbled it all down me in panic when I was Mercy'd back. :smith:

this is a good story and it made me laugh

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you hear foot steps you can't identify its probably an enemy flanking you. Move and reposition before they get you.
Enemy footsteps are way louder than ally footsteps and it's really easy to tell when somebody's around if you listen for it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

LIVE FOOTAGE OF ME EATING HUMBLE PIE REGARDING MY BASTION OPINIONS

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Countblanc posted:

Neat, range seems generous enough to where your damage feels consistent at appropriate ranges.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 24, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Making Bastions blow themselves up with Genji's reflect is always really satisfying.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Countblanc posted:

You could use the lane on the right of that spot to get a better measurement of the distance. :eng101:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOVuuzxlzw

look at me McCree

I am the high noon now

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the Japan Respecter and I are as one

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ruggington posted:

the Japan Respecter and I are as one

The path to true Meiyo is long, senpai Ruggington, but its rewards are manifold. Omedetōgozaimasu.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Chewbot posted:

I know it's really early, but the biggest takeaway since launch has been "Do I want to have less fun as Rein or Mercy but win" or "Do I want to play the classes I like, get shut down and lose (because nobody is playing Rein or Mercy)".

Which I have a feeling is going to be an eternal struggle and kind of a lose-lose situation. Bleeeh.
Playing in competitive mode you pretty much never have this problem. People are quite reasonable about fitting into a good comp there. I hope competitive mode comes back in soon.

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

If you're curious on determining range, the yellow stripes in the floor are 5 meters apart. It's how the Oversheet has ranges.

Mei's damage fall off is about 22 meters IIRC from testing. After that her 75 damage Icicles start dropping down to half damage.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
TIL you can set up Lucio's crossfader so it works sorta like a sprint, where you hold down the button to go fast and release it to switch to the healing track.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

from last page and i dont feel like finding it to quote but your mmr didnt reset from the beta apparently

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thisuck posted:

TIL you can set up Lucio's crossfader so it works sorta like a sprint, where you hold down the button to go fast and release it to switch to the healing track.

Holy poo poo this is really good to know!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Thisuck posted:

Bunch of other character-specific options talked about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCygSHeoe7Q

quote:

Here's everything in text and in their default position

Genji/Hanzo/Junkrat (Rip-Tire)
Automatically climb walls <Off>

Lúcio
Hold to crossfade <Off>

Mercy
Toggle beam connection <Off>
Guardian angel prefers beam target <On>

Reinhardt
Toggle barrier <Off>

Zarya/Soldier: 76
Allied health bars <Off>

Widowmaker
Toggle zoom <Off>
Relative aim sensitivity while zoomed <30>

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Playing zenyatta is basically playing left 4 dead. *clanking, metallic dragging* " got a road hog around here".

I had one follow me through side streets for half of Mumbai, his foot steps became like the jaws theme. He got me once I was distracted by a fight, I never actually saw him until he surfaced.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Luciolo's the guy I've felt the most at ease with so far. Any tips for playing him better beyond "stick with at least one teammate at all times"?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
here's me teaching Reinhardt how to fly.

https://youtu.be/U2zwTs9v6h4

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I played with one Lucio that made liberal use of the "gather up" emote and was pretty impressed with the results.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

GlitchThief posted:

I played with one Lucio that made liberal use of the "gather up" emote and was pretty impressed with the results.

Yes if I'm a healer or rinehart I'll verge on spamming "group up with me" because assuming you're in vaguely the right map spot you really should have some team mates.

People walking through your shield is tough because I promise you the second you drop it to try to catch up they will turn around and look at you like you're stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zooted heh posted:

poetry in motion

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Luciolo's the guy I've felt the most at ease with so far. Any tips for playing him better beyond "stick with at least one teammate at all times"?

Try only to shoot people off the map

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

zooted heh posted:

this is outstanding

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

zooted heh posted:

That is pure poetry

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

MacheteZombie posted:

So who has bought the 50 pack of loot boxes?

I'm like a page late on 50 pack chat but I bought one.

I got incredibly lucky and got 3 of the 4 skins I wanted most + almost 2k coins.

I've also gotten 3 legendary skins in 10 levels so I'm pretty god damned lucky.

But I'd trade it all in to have my pig in a wok icon back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

zooted heh posted:

:drat: