Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Powers posted:

I've run into a problem with my belt balancers in that if you have a really high draw from one lane (in my case, I merge copper and iron onto a single belt for most of my old low rate production, which tends to draw mostly from one lane), that single lane can be overdrawn even through a belt balancer. I guess it's not really a problem, but I wish there were some advanced splitters that could perform lane balancing and things like "merge belt A into lane A of belt C, with belt B in lane B of belt C" so that lane load was even.

The secret to balancing is that it's mostly for cosmetic/ocd purposes - once you have full throughout on a belt, it doesn't actually matter what side gets drained most.

That said, it's definitely possibly to merge two belts into one in the way you're wanting. Just split the input lanes, sideload twice (once favouring the left lane, once favouring the right - you'll need something a little squirrelly to get everything on the correct side though), and then use a third splitter to merge that down into a single output belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

The secret to balancing is that it's mostly for cosmetic/ocd purposes - once you have full throughout on a belt, it doesn't actually matter what side gets drained most.

That said, it's definitely possibly to merge two belts into one in the way you're wanting. Just split the input lanes, sideload twice (once favouring the left lane, once favouring the right - you'll need something a little squirrelly to get everything on the correct side though), and then use a third splitter to merge that down into a single output belt.
Running near entitled throughput is where affects from balancing hit hardest since running near entitlement starts making the fractioning effects of splitting show up and you want to make sure you are taking 50% of either the biggest or averagest number available. But also if you are worried about throughput you can either build a bigger bus or put something smarter in place than a totally dumb bus.

e. To be less snipey and make a practical point, the solution to the problem of "a mixed belt is getting one of its components drawn faster than can be supplied" would probably be to not have a mixed belt as a simple way of providing the throughput that seems to be needed downstream.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 24, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

Running near entitled throughput is where affects from balancing hit hardest since running near entitlement starts making the fractioning effects of splitting show up and you want to make sure you are taking 50% of either the biggest or averagest number available. But also if you are worried about throughput you can either build a bigger bus or put something smarter in place than a totally dumb bus.

e. To be less snipey and make a practical point, the solution to the problem of "a mixed belt is getting one of its components drawn faster than can be supplied" would probably be to not have a mixed belt as a simple way of providing the throughput that seems to be needed downstream.

It's not the mixed belt that's a problem, and throughput isn't the issue. It really is just an OCD issue that one side of my furnace farm doesn't fire because it's eventual lane isn't getting pulled from at all. I can build the fancy balancer that was posted, though and that will solve my problem.

Right now I have a single blue belt feed of copper and iron that I transport to the factory. A green circuit factory picks copper directly off this belt. After that it splits and one side gets merged with a split from the iron to feed my old factory. The other half of the split travels roundabout back to my new red circuit factory (a belt of each still). My factory is still probably a micro factory compared to what most people have.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That article is crazy cause I figured anyone with 15+ hours who was interested in it would've fired a rocket. I'm not downplaying the work involved, but I restarted twice then did the whole thing pretty cleanly. Are there really people that have put a whole mess of time and still haven't fired a rocket?

e: I should make clear, I'm talking more about the author, obviously the dude with 10+ launchpads and 500 hours has launched a rocket.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Factorio is interesting because it accomodates all level of players. You want to just screw around, you can. You want to create an ultra-efficient mega-facility, you also can.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Chakan posted:

That article is crazy cause I figured anyone with 15+ hours who was interested in it would've fired a rocket. I'm not downplaying the work involved, but I restarted twice then did the whole thing pretty cleanly. Are there really people that have put a whole mess of time and still haven't fired a rocket?

e: I should make clear, I'm talking more about the author, obviously the dude with 10+ launchpads and 500 hours has launched a rocket.

I've got 50 hours on steam factorio and I'd say easily ten times that in earlier versions of the game and I've never fired a rocket or built the old school rocket defense. There's no point to it, gameplay-wise, so why bother? It's obviously possible, it's not like it's a puzzle, so it's just about bothering to do it (or not). I'd rather do the stuff I find fun, ie, getting more of everything faster.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think I have about 25-30 hours on my game and I'm only just getting close to researching the rocket launching item. I took a long meandering path and rebuilt things several times.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

awesmoe posted:

I've got 50 hours on steam factorio and I'd say easily ten times that in earlier versions of the game and I've never fired a rocket or built the old school rocket defense. There's no point to it, gameplay-wise, so why bother? It's obviously possible, it's not like it's a puzzle, so it's just about bothering to do it (or not). I'd rather do the stuff I find fun, ie, getting more of everything faster.

I've restarted so many times that with all the hours and all the saves that I have, I've never even come close to firing a rocket. The closest I've come in started researching the rocket, but then I got bored of the save and haven't touched it since.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm all about launching rockets. My latest game was :420: 420 :420: rockets in just under 100 hours.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I've played close to 50 hours and I haven't gotten anywhere near rockets.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Chakan posted:

15+ hours. What? I guess if someone is using guides and YouTube to see optimal everything.

15 or even 30 hours teaches you basic facility setup and slight optimization. I would not expect anyone to get to rockets in their first 50 hours without googling the hell out of setting things up, which in my opinion is sort of counter fun.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

ModeSix posted:

15+ hours. What? I guess if someone is using guides and YouTube to see optimal everything.

15 or even 30 hours teaches you basic facility setup and slight optimization. I would not expect anyone to get to rockets in their first 50 hours without googling the hell out of setting things up, which in my opinion is sort of counter fun.

I Launched my first rocket in 23 hours with only wiki help for railroads?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, I guess I'm in the minority. Apart from "I was looking into what this game is and saw a good furnace column setup" and what a roboport is, I didn't really look anything up, launched a rocket around hour 20-25 total. I get not launching one because you're disinterested, though. I reset because my green science production was measly, then because my stuff was everywhere and so doing a rocket would've been miserable, then I launched a rocket. Different strokes I guess.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Gibbo posted:

I Launched my first rocket in 23 hours with only wiki help for railroads?

You must be playing the game wrong, or something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
this game is pretty fun

but I'm very bad at it

I had to put on peaceful mode because biters kept eating my base

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Renegret posted:

this game is pretty fun

but I'm very bad at it

I had to put on peaceful mode because biters kept eating my base

Were you trying to start on a desert? Desert starts seem easy because of all the space but then your cloud spreads extra far and unless you're pruning, biters get pissed off earlier than they would normally.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gibbo posted:

Were you trying to start on a desert? Desert starts seem easy because of all the space but then your cloud spreads extra far and unless you're pruning, biters get pissed off earlier than they would normally.

no

Since I'm still kinda learning what I'm doing, it took me forever to get steel processing up to make the good ammo. I didn't do any pruning because my turrets were holding my perimeter just fine, until they weren't. Then my whole base got overrun in a matter of minutes and I wasn't able stabalize because the attacks were too frequent. I said gently caress this and started a new game because really I just wanted to build pretty base building simulator and peaceful mode exists for a reason.

Now I'm playing pretty base building simulator and enjoying it violence free (until I need purple science :getin:)

Next base when I actually know what I'm doing, I'll turn the biters on and go overkill with turrents

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I said I was gonna sperg about Turret Kill Times and now I have!!!

TLDR: Gun Turrets destroy Laser, DPS-wise
pre:
            Base Dmg     Base Rate     DPS  |  Max Dmg     Max Rate     DPS
Gun Turret   10           10/sec       100  |  48.4        26.0        1258.4
Las Turret   20            3/sec        60  |  48.0         7.8         374.4
Well, now you'll say "Well those Gun numbers look pretty good, but what about armor, huh?? What do you think of that? :smug:"

Time To Kill Biters (In sec) (W/ AP rounds)
pre:
      Base Gun      Base Las      Max Gun     Max Las
Sml      0.15          0.25         0.01        0.04     [No Armor]
Med      1.25          1.56         0.06        0.22     [4/0% Phys Armor]
Lrg     18.75          6.25         0.36        1.00     [8/0% Phys Armor]
Bhm    312.50         83.33         5.95       13.35     [8/20% Phys Armor]
(Spitters have no armor at any level so Gun pretty much clowns them)
The only time Laser wins is if you haven't bothered to upgrade Guns to ~green-limited tech by the time Larges show up, otherwise Guns win every DPS race by a comfortable margin.

Things To Consider When Building Your Wall Of Turrets
  • Guns need ammo, and more importantly need ammo fed to them, requiring belts/inserters or bots/inserters, making their use on remote outposts a chore (at best)
  • Thus, lasers can be packed in tighter (but not 2.24 times tighter to win vs Behemoths)
  • Lasers have a greater range, but the same 'aggro' range which attracts enemies to them, so in combat it's a non-issue
  • With 'wakeup' time and slow bullet travel, Laser's range benefit is pretty much a non-starter (except when enemies get close to your wall; more of your wall laterally can then fire on the swarm)-- which doesn't really help vs Spitters
  • Relying solely on Gun turrets will get EXPENSIVE steel-wise
  • On the other hand, Guns are cheap as poo poo to build/replace, losing 2-3 in an attack is peanuts
  • On the OTHER hand, Lasers have twice the health and are less likely to suffer losses in the first place, just repair kits
  • On the OTHER hand, the faster Gun TTK can sometimes squash swarms without taking appreciable damage to begin with, they can kill spitters before they get a shot off (laser travel time means they always get hit)
  • ...And that means that you get fewer 'we're under attack' sirens

My (subjective) testing indicates that a mix of turrets is ideal, if you want to bother feeding ammo to guns. Lasers obviously do their job just fine, and you can slap a block of them anywhere without a care in the world, but why not try a hybrid defensive line? You won't be disappointed when you see those chainguns light up a horde of Behemoths :getin:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 24, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Can Gun turrets hit spitters though? I'd always switched to lasers asap because I was under the impression that the guns couldn't hit them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
When Spitters were *first* introduced, that was a problem. They hotfixed it the next week, now Spitters and Guns have about the same range.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
OTOH, if you're at behemoth spitters, you should really install factorio basics/extended and have the upgraded lasers. That mod is so good and breathed life back into my long game, even if just for the mk3 power armor filled with exoskeletons.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Renegret posted:

Next base when I actually know what I'm doing, I'll turn the biters on and go overkill with turrents

And then you will realize that biters are just a minor annoyance that makes you have to babysit turrets every once in a while.
Peaceful mode is more fun IMO but I really enjoy the factory-building aspect of the game, so perhaps I am biased.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Something about the biters being aggressive just makes the whole thing feel more honest. Like if they could just get to the power plant to lodge a complaint with the planning commission they just might save their ancestral home, but they better be ready for those turrets.

RSO's default spawn density is personally a favorite middle ground between normal settings and pacifist mode.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The factorio speedrun time is now under 2 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL-kB3gdVIs

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bhodi posted:

OTOH, if you're at behemoth spitters, you should really install factorio basics/extended and have the upgraded lasers. That mod is so good and breathed life back into my long game, even if just for the mk3 power armor filled with exoskeletons.

I love all the mods for this game. There's so many nice quality of life things out there and neat new mechanics for the game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I hope the Speedrun achievement is ~12 hours, that's something I could hit without my heart exploding. My :corsair: reaction times ain't what they used to be.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
If anyone is interested in running a dedicated server but doesn't want to deal with installing Factorio, starting/stopping it, and copying save/mod files around, try this. It's like a personal roboport for your server.

Source code and instructions:
https://github.com/jjclark1982/factorio-control-panel

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I should try it out sometime, the current manager i am using for my server is kinda inferior.
On that note, the server is still accepting new players, you can find the info in the dedicated thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542

Regallion fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 25, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

I said I was gonna sperg about Turret Kill Times and now I have!!!

TLDR: Gun Turrets destroy Laser, DPS-wise

Thanks, I'm glad you went to the bother of doing this. It makes me feel better about evangelising gun turrets. Once they're upgraded with green science they'll rip anything apart. It makes clearing the area around a base a snap - no running wires out, just 20 turrets and a pocket full of ammo.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Will the contents of trains themselves be in the circuit network in the new patch?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ShadowHawk posted:

Will the contents of trains themselves be in the circuit network in the new patch?

The last dev post that mentioned it said they are still implementing the train circuit stuff and did not mention contents. They did say that we'd be able to control trains using the content of station chests (among other things). We'll find out if they post again with more details or when 0.13 comes out in a week or two.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I wish robots could put things into and take them out of assemblers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

I wish robots could put things into and take them out of assemblers.

Smart chest + smart inserter? Works just as well

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Smart chest + smart inserter? Works just as well

True enough, though that adds an extra step.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ratzap posted:

The last dev post that mentioned it said they are still implementing the train circuit stuff and did not mention contents. They did say that we'd be able to control trains using the content of station chests (among other things). We'll find out if they post again with more details or when 0.13 comes out in a week or two.
Actually it might already work if you have a smart inserter pulling off a train. I think smart inserters are automatically connected to what they unload from (at least if it's a smart/logistics chest, haven't really tested beyond that)

I know in the patch the train stop itself will be connectable to the circuit network. That might be an intuitive place to add the contents of the train. That way you could do fancy things like turn train stops off if they don't have enough stuff to load, allowing trains to skip that destination and keep going.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Being able to tell trains "Stay at station until full" and "stay until empty" is basically going to be the best, everything else is gravy

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hey, version 01234 is out!
It's only bugfixes, and mostly deals with people who use the forces assigning feature, or play campaign, but y'know still nice to see it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hopefully tomorrow they'll give an update on the 0.13 release date. As it stands, it's supposed to be released on June 1st, less than a week away!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Are there any fanmade campaigns that are good? I looked around last night and could only find tower defense levels which aren't necessarily what I'n looking for right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

I know in the patch the train stop itself will be connectable to the circuit network. That might be an intuitive place to add the contents of the train. That way you could do fancy things like turn train stops off if they don't have enough stuff to load, allowing trains to skip that destination and keep going.
Just reread the blog post and this is indeed how it will work. The train stop will report the contents of a train currently parked there to the circuit network it's attached to, just as if those items were in a connected chest. I'm not sure if this includes the fuel in the train's locomotive, but probably.