Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So if the specs for the 1070 are to be believed the 980ti is going to tank price wise.

So the logical upgrade path for us 980ti owners is going to become buy a second hand 980ti and sli.

fire strike ultra:
1080 sli: 9144
980ti sli: 7965
1080: 5081
980ti: 4586

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...aren't those two diametrically opposed market forces? You can't tank and have increased demand at the same time!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

And SLI would be great, if VR SLI was a thing yet. :negative:

Until then, I feel we are sort of stuck with waiting to see what the 1080Ti offers and how it performs in VR.

Now if you aren't using VR at all. Then go hog wild. My 780 SLI setup could run anything I threw at them at 1440P ultra so SLI 980Ti's would be stupid good.

Also if the 980Ti is roughly equal to a 1070, wouldn't that make them just a hair cheaper than a 1070 which would probably be around the $400+ range itself for a while?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The 1070 is a hair better, plus the used tax I see the 980tis going from 300-350 as it will be a hard to sell a secondhand card that performs worse for more than a brand new 1070 for $379.

No vr, just trying to fully utilize my 1440p 165hz monitor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EdEddnEddy posted:

And SLI would be great, if VR SLI was a thing yet. :negative:

Until then, I feel we are sort of stuck with waiting to see what the 1080Ti offers and how it performs in VR.

Now if you aren't using VR at all. Then go hog wild. My 780 SLI setup could run anything I threw at them at 1440P ultra so SLI 980Ti's would be stupid good.

Also if the 980Ti is roughly equal to a 1070, wouldn't that make them just a hair cheaper than a 1070 which would probably be around the $400+ range itself for a while?

New 980ti's are still 500+ right now, and I don't think you'll see them crater out much below $500 due to the SLI upgrade path + production being halted for a while now. Comparing a used 980ti vs a new 1070 might be pretty close, but I don't think that's a totally fair comparison. The MSRP for a 1070 is $379, and while you probably won't get that at launch I don't think your going to be waiting too long before you'll find some at MSRP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doesn't SLI not work half the time anyway?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

SLI works fine in the past few years for most any games that aren't day 1 AAA launch titles. It isn't near as bad as it was back in the GTX500 series era at least.

However, it doesn't work at all in VR currently where it would be massively beneficial currently.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

It's theoretically a good idea for VR, if AMD and nVidia would hurry up and finish their VR SLI implementations already.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EdEddnEddy posted:

SLI works fine in the past few years for most any games that aren't day 1 AAA launch titles. It isn't near as bad as it was back in the GTX500 series era at least.

However, it doesn't work at all in VR currently where it would be massively beneficial currently.

I thought the card-per-eye stuff was released now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ColHannibal posted:

The 1070 is a hair better, plus the used tax I see the 980tis going from 300-350 as it will be a hard to sell a secondhand card that performs worse for more than a brand new 1070 for $379.

No vr, just trying to fully utilize my 1440p 165hz monitor.

Going with a 980 Ti gets you more memory bandwidth though, which I think is a large part of what people perceived as being "better" about the 780 Ti than the 970. The x80 Ti cards have ~330 GB/s of memory bandwidth while the x70 cards are slumming it down around 220 GB/s.

The 780 Ti retained its value very well (it still costs more than a 970) but the confounding factor there is that the 780 Ti was a stopgap product to cover until they could get Maxwell out. The 980 Ti was on the market significantly longer and sold like hotcakes. Also, the 780 Ti is still fantastic for single-precision compute, it's basically an upclocked Tesla K40 with 3GB of non-ECC RAM and no FP64, so there's probably a moderate amount of them getting run as CUDA developer machines. I certainly know the OG Titan is still quite in-demand for the same reason. That's not the case for Maxwell.

So anyway, we don't really have a good sample size of x80 Ti cards to extrapolate from, but it's not a 100% foregone conclusion that the 980 Ti will drop below the 1070.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 24, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
So I'm guessing one of those ultra factory OC 980ti's like the EVGA Classified or Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming are going to still be faster than the 1070?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ak Gara posted:

So I'm guessing one of those ultra factory OC 980ti's like the EVGA Classified or Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming are going to still be faster than the 1070?
Depends on how fast the 1070 can overclock. For almost any 980Ti you can safely add 25% (30% if you wanna get sporty) to the stock performance numbers; the 1080 was pushing 20%ish, but no one knows about the 1070 or how far AIB's will be able to push things with better power delivery and cooling. The Classified and other super-high end cards were never really worth the extra money unless you planned on doing something like full-waterblock cooling or other esoteric and completely cost-ineffective cooling solutions. Otherwise the actual performance delta between your $800 Kingpin and your $550-after-rebate generic version is a few percent at best.

If you want a 980Ti, just get the cheapest non-blower version from the brand of your choice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rastor posted:

It's theoretically a good idea for VR, if AMD and nVidia would hurry up and finish their VR SLI implementations already.

NV/AMDs side has been finished for ages, we're waiting on the engines to integrate it now. UE4 and Unity have both committed to supporting it... at some point.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The x80 Ti cards have ~330 GB/s of memory bandwidth while the x70 cards are slumming it down around 220 GB/s.

The 1070 has 256GB/s baseline bandwidth, and if you run with Nvidias claim of 20% better delta compression that's as good as 307GB/s on Maxwell. It's still behind the 980tis 336GB/s, but not by much.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

repiv posted:

NV/AMDs side has been finished for ages, we're waiting on the engines to integrate it now. UE4 and Unity have both committed to supporting it... at some point.
Ah got it, thanks for the correction.

Get on it Unreal / Unity / others.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I thought the card-per-eye stuff was released now.

Is it out and ready from a driver standpoint, yes. Has anyone started using it yet? Not that I have seen unfortunately. I believe Valve just recently had a Release Note in one of the SteamVR updates that disabled the 2nd card if a user had a MultiGPU system.

Games like Elite Dangerous benefited from it a ton with my 780's in Extended Mode, as did Asseto Corsa back then. Direct mode never worked in SLI however and I believe that remains true today still unfortunately.

VR SLI was supposed to do the per eye instead of AFR I believe too which would have been neat, but also PCI-E 3.0 X16 is a must as well due to latency between the cards and all. Probably won't see it much at all until the 10XX series takes a good chunk of the market with its SLI Bridge of magic that might fix the SLI Latency that would depend on users having a X79/X99 system to do VR SLI. :/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

that would depend on users having a X79/X99 system to do VR SLI. :/
Some of us have X99 systems and would really like to pick up 2x 980Ti's at firesale prices and get the best of all worlds, thanks.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I cant wait to see if the new Titan really has 24GB of ram. That's more than my system memory :captainpop:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Make a Ramdisk in your videocard's memory with FosbourneTech's FOS PRO GAMING Z1 RGB Cache

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I was actually a big fan of SLI because every game I wanted to play used it as well as I could have hoped, but I'd never actually choose it over a single card... would be nice if DX12 really fleshed that out and made it a better overall option. Would really open up the field especially during generation changes in GPU's.

I do believe a lot of (modern) SLI/crossfire issues are overstated and there's a lot of parroting from some who never actually used it. But all it takes is one game you want to play that fucks it up and poof it sucks lol, and then when the next game doesn't work it really sucks, and so on. If they could get it to a position where most games are able to make use of multiple cards easily I think all the other fiddly issues will fade in importance.

All that being said, single card performance improved so much that I hardly even want even theoretically perfect dual GPUs anymore personally, but I see the value in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe production concerns are unfounded?

Jen-Hsun Huang had this to say in the impact of Pascal on 2nd quarter earnings.

quote:

We're expecting a lot of Pascal. Pascal was just announced for [GeForce GTX] 1080 and 1070, and both of those products are in full production. We're in production with Tesla P100, and so all of our Pascal products that we've announced are in full production, so we're expecting a lot.

So, if they are expecting a big impact from Pascal with only a month left the quarter, it must be shipping in quantity.

He also says the yields at TSMC have been "good".

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

DrDork posted:

Some of us have X99 systems and would really like to pick up 2x 980Ti's at firesale prices and get the best of all worlds, thanks.

Hey my X79 loved it some SLI goodness with PCI-E 3.0 enabled. Though now I may have a problem fitting a 2nd ASUS Strix in there with the PCI-E USB 3.0 card I have in there now for the Oculus. drat ASMedia USB Host. :negative:
If I could find another Strix for $400 or less and VR SLI starts to pick up steam, I might as well pick one of those up and wait out until Volta and some HBM2 goodness.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dammit just saw this on twitter about some new cases coming down the pipe for compact ITX builds. I know one looks like a Mac Pro can, only better since it is fitting a full 1080 in it, that other one thats a horizontal desktop is also pretty neat for various reasons as well.

drat I want to build a system out of those.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I was actually a big fan of SLI because every game I wanted to play used it as well as I could have hoped, but I'd never actually choose it over a single card... would be nice if DX12 really fleshed that out and made it a better overall option. Would really open up the field especially during generation changes in GPU's.

I do believe a lot of (modern) SLI/crossfire issues are overstated and there's a lot of parroting from some who never actually used it. But all it takes is one game you want to play that fucks it up and poof it sucks lol, and then when the next game doesn't work it really sucks, and so on. If they could get it to a position where most games are able to make use of multiple cards easily I think all the other fiddly issues will fade in importance.

All that being said, single card performance improved so much that I hardly even want even theoretically perfect dual GPUs anymore personally, but I see the value in it.

Having run both CF (4870x2) and SLI (GTX295, 2x580) I often feel it gets overstated, too. I actually never noticed stuttering etc., and on games that didn't support SLI, I just ran it on a single GPU and turned down the AA or whatever and completely forgot about it thereafter. I think in all that time I only ran into one or two games that I couldn't play, but I just sold them and moved on.

Don't think I'll ever go CF/SLI again but that's more because I'm happier to turn down graphics settings now, and it's looking like, at 1440p anyway, that's not even an issue at all for the generation of cards coming out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bleh Maestro posted:

Decent 1070's will probably cost at least $400 if the 1080 is any gauge.

Pretty much, even the 900 series weren't too far apart with MSRP - the 980 was $499, 970 came in at $329, so even if other vendors drop to $599-649-ish, you're still possibly looking at the 1070 in the minimum $429-$499 range.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
getting to sli 980ti's for VR may finally be the reason to upgrade my mobo and retire my 2500k

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Fauxtool posted:

getting to sli 980ti's for VR may finally be the reason to upgrade my mobo and retire my 2500k

I know blah blah theyre still really great etc etc and so on, but you will definitely notice an improvement so look forward to that

also wtf is this onmy desktop :mad:

edit: lol I had this post up and I was doing something else then came back and tried to drag and minimize the picture and the first thing I thought was "AMD software for 6 fuckin hours and its already pissing me off". Then I felt retarded 5 seconds later

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 25, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

installing amd drivers: always uncheck gaming evolved

at least it's not literal loving acid to uninstall once you get it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Chill out, it's just AMD's counterpart of GeForce Experience.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Gaming Evolved app is poo poo not because of the app itself, but because Raptr bought John Mautari to make it's newest incarnation happen, and in the process, made it so he can't do poo poo with Radeonpro anymore, which was the closest we came to a modern ATI Tray Tools successor

Not that John isn't some innocent angel either, because he'd rather watch it become abandonware than make it open source, and it's not getting any more compatible with Crimson and newer games

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

I guess video cards are getting decent enough to the point I can now just can the idea of building a new system, and buy cheap OEM poo poo boxes to toss something in there without worrying about an external PCI plug. Waiting to see what Pascal/Polaris bring to the table next year for ballers on a budget.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
OK, question: why the gently caress do people care how many PCIe connectors are on the actual card? A string of PCIe aux power plugs still has to go through a single modular connector anyway at the PSU side, it can't be that horrific a bottleneck.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK, question: why the gently caress do people care how many PCIe connectors are on the actual card? A string of PCIe aux power plugs still has to go through a single modular connector anyway at the PSU side, it can't be that horrific a bottleneck.

Like why do people care if it's 6+8 vs 8+8 vs 8+8+8 or something? Other than more is more better, they don't? The point of contention on the 1080 is initial results suggesting that it's power limited when overclocking, hence making AIB cards with extra power phases and higher draw limits potentially beneficial (though bus + 8 pin still gives 225W before breaking spec, which is 25% above the 180W a 1080 is spec'ed for, so who knows whether it's honestly a board-design/power draw issue or just a locked vbios or what). Maybe I just don't understand your question.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Paul MaudDib posted:

People care most about the fact that the 1080 throttles due to power limits. It seems like there are two problems, one being that the power delivery components on the board itself can't accept enough power, and the other being that it's getting near the 225W limit that one connector gives you. Trying to pull more from a single power lead would be out of spec and it'd be the card's fault for drawing too much if the cables melted.

Some PSUs only have one PCIe connector at the end of each cable and those are only specced for 75W, some come with two but say to use two separate cables if the card draws a lot of power (like my high end Seasonic, though they mean that if it's drawing close to 300W you should use two separate cables). There's no spec for the modular connectors on a PSU, but there is for PCIe power cables.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
On the other end its also just a way to brag. Certainly it affects people in a practical way but in the end it just shows off the efficiency of the card

In this particular case though its a hot button issue because it is likely limiting overclocking performance as said above. But as was said earlier, it is the preferable bottleneck to have on a reference card since it all but guarantees that aftermarkets will do better. This is opposed to say the oc being chip limited

But yes it has little to nothing to do with actual power cable availability or anything like that for the masses

edit: btw I wasn't truly complaining about the AMD thing, its just a very sudden shift for me lol

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's what I don't understand.

Nvidia: Hi here's our Founders Edition 1080, it's got a single 8 pin, can't suck enough power to OC, and the blower fan isn't capable of cooling the card even at stock frequencies, and we're gonna charge $100 over non FE cards, but don't worry we'll sell this card FOREVER!
AIB: :raise:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
True and I dont like the "founders edition" card at all, but, in the end, just dont buy one unless you dont care about these things lol. Adding another 100 to the price tag just really solidifies the stance most people have had with reference cards thus far.

If they need to run at 100% fan speed to not throttle (at OC speeds anyway, I have my doubts throttling to 500 mhz is nothing more than a pre release bug) then it will be hilarious because of how 290 blowers were. But the key difference here is that this is not a inherently hot card by all accounts, so, its not an issue we will see on others.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

On the other end its also just a way to brag. Certainly it affects people in a practical way but in the end it just shows off the efficiency of the card

In this particular case though its a hot button issue because it is likely limiting overclocking performance as said above. But as was said earlier, it is the preferable bottleneck to have on a reference card since it all but guarantees that aftermarkets will do better. This is opposed to say the oc being chip limited

But yes it has little to nothing to do with actual power cable availability or anything like that for the masses

edit: btw I wasn't truly complaining about the AMD thing, its just a very sudden shift for me lol

Did you just switch?

Also I think part of the PCI connectors thing is that inexplicably large population who would rather pay more for less card than replace the psu that's limiting them and threatening their entire system.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ak Gara posted:

Nvidia: Hi here's our Founders Edition 1080, it's got a single 8 pin, can't suck enough power to OC, and the blower fan isn't capable of cooling the card even at stock frequencies, and we're gonna charge $100 over non FE cards, but don't worry we'll sell this card FOREVER!
I'm confident this is just what happens when a profit-hungry tech corporation tries to cravenly exploit all-time high hype by claiming the act of releasing a product is a feature

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Just to be clear, the 1080 is going to dominate.

I just think it could be ~better~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Hasn't it been established that Nvidia deliberately priced the FE higher to not compete with its AIB partners?