Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You never realize how long chapters can be until you spend two evenings editing an entire chapter and an epilogue. :suicide:

This may come as a stunning surprise, but the Konosuba translation kinda lost a lot going from Japanese to Chinese to English! It makes editing a frustrating process of sitting down with the raws and comparing each sentence to see if it was right. I've found that the main thrust of each sentence is still right, at least, but a lot of little details like tone and wordplay were lost. Also a whole lot of noises of exasperation; for some reason basically every stretched out "Uwaaaaaaah?!" or "Haaaaaaaaah?" or whatever just got turned into "Ah!" or "Uh."

I sure hope the translator from volumes 1 to 7 did better, but I guess I shouldn't really expect 100% translation quality from a speed translation anyways.

Less off-topic, basically all of the LNs I'm really following now are waiting for their next volumes. If it weren't for this editing thing I wouldn't have anything to read. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how Meng Hao's totally forgotten about the grave danger in favor of the cartoon dollar signs branded onto his eyeballs.

I also like how he seemed to have prepared those bags beforehand for just such an occasion. These are my connin' bags.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Translations of Only Sense Online volume 9 has just started.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'm looking forward to seeing how Meng Hao loses his vast wealth, because given the story to date I can't imagine him managing to keep it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Sandman posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how Meng Hao loses his vast wealth, because given the story to date I can't imagine him managing to keep it.

He spends it all to create 10 sword tips.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Sandman posted:

I'm guessing demon hearts can be made to explode, and given his fondness for saturation bombing it wouldn't be hard for him to burn through a few hundred thousand demon hearts in a couple of minutes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He still hasn't found an edge against the wang patriarch. I kinda wish that guy had a name instead of a title.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

jon joe posted:

He spends it all to create 10 sword tips.

drat this seems totally plausible.

I am happy that Meng Hoa found a drinking buddy. Now they can go fishing and drinking together like real Southern buddies. :neckbeard:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am happy that Meng Hoa found a drinking buddy. Now they can go fishing and drinking together like real Southern buddies. :neckbeard:

I didn't think they were really buddies before, but now they are more than drinking buddies. They are money-making comrades.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

BlitzBlast posted:

You never realize how long chapters can be until you spend two evenings editing an entire chapter and an epilogue. :suicide:

All your troubles are finally over, friend:

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/733707705865605120

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That is in fact the source of his troubles.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I was wrong, it was half, only 5!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

jon joe posted:

I was wrong, it was half, only 5!

On the other hand, he got enough Demon Hearts on the fishing trip that he should be able to make the other five now.

Something I just thought of: are Demon Hearts different from the Demon Cores Meng Hao was scarfing down like candy back in the Qi Condensation stage? It seems like the sort of thing that could just be a change in the translation.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They are different.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Of course his loving Severing is the Dao of Independence and of COURSE he's severing the Resurrection Lily as part of that. Whoever it was that said that Meng Hao put max ratings in Luck at character creation was completely right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder if he is still gonna have to run away from the wang patriarch? A false immortal is between true immortals and spirit severing, no?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wonder if he is still gonna have to run away from the wang patriarch? A false immortal is between true immortals and spirit severing, no?

Yeah, spirit severing -> dao seeking -> immortal, it seems like a false immortal is someone at the peak of dao seeking who couldn't find their own dao. This is Meng Hao's first severing but with his special body arts he may be able to survive a battle with someone at dao seeking after completing his first true severing.

At the end of the day we know he's going to survive either by being strong enough or through some deus ex machina (same thing?) but it will be super entertaining regardless. Maybe the blood mastiff will make its return? I do like that Er Gen keeps most of the power ups relevant long after you would expect them to be forgotten.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, i forgot about the dao seeking stage. i thought it went from spirit severing to immortal.

however, the wang patriarch's biggest weakness is his longevity. he was hanging out as a mummy to conserve it while waiting for a chance to swipe a dao and become an immortal. also, he is there in his true body and he has never seen meng hao do anything with time treasures.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 24, 2016

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lyon posted:

At the end of the day we know he's going to survive either by being strong enough or through some deus ex machina (same thing?) but it will be super entertaining regardless. Maybe the blood mastiff will make its return? I do like that Er Gen keeps most of the power ups relevant long after you would expect them to be forgotten.

Speaking of forgotten power-ups, I think he could also use the Frigid Snow legacies at full strength to help fight off the Wang Patriarch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Speaking of forgotten power-ups, I think he could also use the Frigid Snow legacies at full strength to help fight off the Wang Patriarch.

i thought he burned through all of those?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

i thought he burned through all of those?

No, he used the Agarwood 1st legacy 3x already but that's different from the other legacies or brands that could be used fully after reaching spirit severing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how Meng Hao keeps track of all these items and legacies he has.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

How tall is Meng Hao now? Seems like he is just constantly getting taller with every powerup.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And whiter. Taller and whiter. I assume the end of this arc he'll just be a 17 story burning sun.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Kumo-chan manga has updated, and the hilarity doesn't end. She's up to the first evolution now, things will only get better from here on out.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

No, he used the Agarwood 1st legacy 3x already but that's different from the other legacies or brands that could be used fully after reaching spirit severing.

The Frigid Snow Legacies helped him defend the Frigid Snow Clan at the time but I believe it was said that going forward the legacies are only useful for providing Meng Hao a higher chance of his spirit severings succeeding. I think there are three severings that need to be performed and you have a high chance of dying in each attempt so those legacies will help him with his severing and then he has the resurrection lily which will help him with his immortal ascension I guess.

Does anyone have clarity on what exactly Dao Seeking constitutes? After you complete the three severings does that immediately make you Dao Seeking? It seems like you need to discover your own Dao to become an immortal which is what the Wang Clan Patriarch has failed at so he is attempting to steal Meng Hao's.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Aside from the wang patriarch, I don't think we have seen anyone in the dao seeking stage.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I've been following as many of the series Yen Press is bringing over as I can afford/care to (Log Horizon, No Game No Life, DanMachi, The Devil is a Part-Timer, A Certain Magical Index, Mahouka, more to come,) and comparing them to the fan translations I've read/anime I've watched really makes me wish there'd been just one more pass by an editor. It sorta feels like they stuck a single translator on each series and don't quite offer them enough support.

I have no idea which version is closest correct, but I feel like there's misattributed dialogue and awkwardly translated sentences just often enough in the Yen Press translations to take me out of the story (or lack thereof. :v:)

Basically, BlitzBlast, please go work for Yen Press somehow.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So I hesitate to ask, but what's the translation of Mahouka like? Was the series brought over in all its horrific glory, or did Yen Press take some liberties to increase its appeal beyond the Japanese equivalent of Baen fanboys?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My understanding of Yen Press' Mahouka translation is <This post's completion has been delayed, please wait three months.>

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I mean, it's only the first volume that's out over here right now, so the content is still relatively inoffensive. The book ends before we even get to the weird lecture Tatsuya gives Miyuki about filthy poors or whatever. None of the events or exposition seems to differ greatly from the fan translation that floats around, which means you still get the nationalist undertones and the author's weird ideals present in all the exposition about recent history and society that gets vomited all over the reader.

So basically,

BlitzBlast posted:

My understanding of Yen Press' Mahouka translation is <This post's completion has been delayed, please wait three months.>

This, yeah.

Of course, the most important issues are that Onii-sama got localized to Tatsuya as well as decreased in frequency, and suffixes in general were dropped, which means the translator is a baka gaijin. :japan:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Aside from the wang patriarch, I don't think we have seen anyone in the dao seeking stage.
There are, aside from people with unstated power levels, there's the Song clan patriarch (guy missing half his body near the end of book 2).

Probably a couple of others I forgpt.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
There was also that black sieve sect patriarch that tried to get through immortal ascension but was killed at the peak of dao seeking

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
None of those people really had much to do with anything. There have been so many mysterious figures sitting in caves reacting to things that they all kind of blur together.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Well, what about the Agarwood? That was a dao seeking legacy, the Agarwood was Dao Seeking level

Pill Demon might be Dao Seeking level? Most of the major sects have a dao seeking level dao reserve for emergencies, like the Wang clan patriarch is

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
What I want to see what a thousand mountains look like flying towards someone, how does that work?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess what it comes down to is that there have been loads of characters who are explicitly at spirit severing but most of the dao seeking folks were mysterious dudes in caves whose stage of immortality was never specified.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

jwang posted:

Kumo-chan manga has updated, and the hilarity doesn't end. She's up to the first evolution now, things will only get better from here on out.

Man the manga is going at a fast pace, it's pretty awesome though. Here is a link:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kumo-Desu-ga--Nani-ka

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
In other manga adaptation news, Honzuki's second chapter is out by easy going scans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It makes me sad to see Kumoko's body all smashed up.

• Locked thread