Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

A real post regarding Bastions lowered presence in high ranked play.

quote:

There's probably just a silent agreement between them not to use him because then it wouldn't really be competitive at all

If they just started using only the best heroes with no regard for team composition they could just break the game by going 4 reinhardt 2 bastion and win 100% of the time unless the enemy does the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

holy poo poo

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tenzarin posted:

You can press Q really good!

Thanks, Q is one of my stronger letters

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Was there a Mei and D.Va on there too? Perfect team in my book. (perfect harem anime! *blush*)

edit: wait no Pharah and Torb, not quite perfect

It was 2x Tracer, 2x Widow, Reaper, and me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elderbean posted:

softban goukibastion

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So this game is right fun. First every game went 10-kill streak, got a quadrakill with D.Va's mech bomb, and got play of the game.

How the hell do I Genji though? His sword swipe/dash does so little damage. My first thought was that I should just soften people up with the stars then dash in. But whenever I do that I'm just a sitting duck because my sword slash has like an 8 second cooldown. So am I just supposed to run up onto vertical terrain and throw stars forever?

Also, what are the points besides the skins? 75/250/1000 obviously relate to cost or quality, but it didn't look like I get points (Like you get IP in LoL or whatever) for match wins. Does that stuff come exclusively from Loot Boxes?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So this game is right fun. First every game went 10-kill streak, got a quadrakill with D.Va's mech bomb, and got play of the game.

How the hell do I Genji though? His sword swipe/dash does so little damage. My first thought was that I should just soften people up with the stars then dash in. But whenever I do that I'm just a sitting duck because my sword slash has like an 8 second cooldown. So am I just supposed to run up onto vertical terrain and throw stars forever?

Also, what are the points besides the skins? 75/250/1000 obviously relate to cost or quality, but it didn't look like I get points (Like you get IP in LoL or whatever) for match wins. Does that stuff come exclusively from Loot Boxes?

The sword slash comes back up to full when you kill someone

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Even the non-ultimate one? That makes a lot more sense.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Genji is a ranged character.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i throw my flash and then i pray
i hope i hit you with my spray

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Where was this lol

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Winston's is tight as hell, it's pretty satisfying dropping on top of backfield heroes and dropping the shield so that their main damage dealers on the front line can't hurt you while your jump recharges for an escape.

The trick is being very aware of what hero(es) you're jumping on and where the enemy team is and what they're doing. When your jump is recharging and you don't have a shield you can do exactly dick to any ranged hero that's peppering you, so don't play Winston like he's a dumb monkey and leave yourself exposed.

He's a scientist drat it!

I haven't found any good offensive uses for his ultimate though other than just smacking people off ledges. It's useful for breaking up a coordinated push on defense but it just seems like he's Genji with worse damage.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Minrad posted:

i throw my flash and then i pray
i hope i hit you with my spray

and if not I'll roll away
and come back to spray
another day

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there/will there be a list of goons (or clans or whatever this game has) for each system? I'm playing on PS4, name is Deadshanks, goons feel free to add me. I'm in Japan though so I'll only be on super late Western time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Is there/will there be a list of goons (or clans or whatever this game has) for each system? I'm playing on PS4, name is Deadshanks, goons feel free to add me. I'm in Japan though so I'll only be on super late Western time.

Clans have already been formed.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'll start my own clan, man.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'll start my own clan, man.

Look in the first post of the overwatch meme thread.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Even the non-ultimate one? That makes a lot more sense.
The non-ult dash only comes back up if you kill someone with it. You were right that stars are for softening people up, but there are many heroes he can't really compete against in wide-open spaces, so you want to toss them around, get in close and quick melee -> dash to finish them off (dashing will cancel the recovery animation of your melee attack, making your effective burst higher). If they aren't low enough for you to be fairly confident that melee -> dash and another quick melee or star throw will kill them, then you don't want to burn dash because then you're losing your best escape tool. His double-jumps and wallclimb also let him scramble back out of bad situations, but like Zarya, you should always be acutely aware of your cooldowns and make on-the-fly decisions about whether to commit them to a kill or use them to get away and regroup.

Tenzarin posted:

Genji is a ranged character.
Uh, sort of.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Look in the first post of the overwatch meme thread.

Oh man, I need way more time to consider which character I'll spend $5 on a new Avatar for. This is a big commitment.

edit: Ooh, does Genji's melee do more damage than other characters?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Oh man, I need way more time to consider which character I'll spend $5 on a new Avatar for. This is a big commitment.

edit: Ooh, does Genji's melee do more damage than other characters?

It does not, sadly. But he is better at jumping around like a retard, which makes it easier to smack people with. (Really though, your bread-and-butter damage comes from throwing ninja stars at people's heads until you can seal the kill.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Tequila Sunrise posted:

As someone said, your dash resets on a kill or assist. Your big burst combo is either (A)right click->melee->dash or (B)dash->right click->melee. Use A if you're next to them, B if from far. Try to plink them down to around 150-ish before going close. The order for A is optimal, as each ability cancels into the next so you can do it super fast.

Apart from that, knowing when the enemy wants to do an attack lets you pop your deflect for it, and feel free to run away. Genji is really mobile vertically, so knowing the map and going somewhere they can't follow, grabbing a health pack and coming back to harass more is always good. If the other team is shutting you down on flanking stuff you can hang out closer to your team since shurukins do good damage, and then using deflect more defensively.

His melee does the same as everyone (only torb and rein are more). Sword slashes do 100 or 120 or something. Also some heroes you just don't do good against. Avoid going close to the tanks (though you can ninja star them at range), some people like McCree are really dangerous unless you properly guess right on deflection.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Where was this lol

/vg

The thread is gloriously bad.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Brosnan posted:

It does not, sadly. But he is better at jumping around like a retard, which makes it easier to smack people with. (Really though, your bread-and-butter damage comes from throwing ninja stars at people's heads until you can seal the kill.)

Totally making him a "ranged" character!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Elderbean posted:

/vg

The thread site is gloriously bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pub Reinhardts are really fond of putting up a shield for just long enough that you start trying to focus fire a turret or a sniper, and then drop it and charge to their deaths leaving you completely vulnerable to that turret or sniper or the rest of their entire team that banded together to fight Reinhardt.

then they get mad and change to hanzo because see, they tried to be a tank!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ruggington posted:

egyptian samus is cooler than cowboy

strongly disagree

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

abigserve posted:

strongly disagree
You are strongly mistaken.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Whats the classic rule for fps mouse sens again? 6 inches on the mousepad = 360 degree rotation?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RanKizama posted:

You are strongly mistaken.

I tried to argue with mccree once b- *boom* *pchew* *pchew* *pchew* *pchew* *pchew* *pchew*

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I don't love playing Pharah but her skins are the best by far

Skins tier list

Tier A -

Pharah
Mei
Zarya

Tier B -

McCree
Torb
Rein

Tier C -

The rest

Tier Dog poo poo -

Tracer

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

net cafe scandal posted:

Whats the classic rule for fps mouse sens again? 6 inches on the mousepad = 360 degree rotation?

10 inches, or 30 cm. If you have it too low you will turn around like a console player.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

different people swear by different numbers, but anything less than 6-7 is going to have significant trouble tracking. i think i'm at about 8" now and i'd like to get it lower but my desk space is at a premium atm

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

THanks lads.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

McCree probably has the least interesting design in the game

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The thrill I get when I get a kill by genji-reflecting a widow snipe or high noon onto its origin can only be described as "intensely sexual"

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

net cafe scandal posted:

12-20 inches

Get a big mouse pad

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

fadam posted:

Ran some try hard competitive comps with my friends (2x Lucio, 2x Winston, 2x Tracer on KotH, and Mercy, Lucio, Winston, Winston, McCree, Tracer everywhere else) and steam rolled games for like two hours straight. Pubs do not know how to handle two Winstons lmao.

Super tank teams (esp Winston) really gently caress my normal pub strat, which is go Pharah, flank, and blow everyone up because the rest of my team is too scared to walk through a doorway and refuses to switch characters.

That said, what's the best way to deal with a 2x Winston comp?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chomposaur posted:

Super tank teams (esp Winston) really gently caress my normal pub strat, which is go Pharah, flank, and blow everyone up because the rest of my team is too scared to walk through a doorway and refuses to switch characters.

That said, what's the best way to deal with a 2x Winston comp?

reaper and mccree love fighting double winston, the former in particular, but you're still trying to counter two heroes by yourself. if the other team has two winstons the ideal is for you to have a mccree/reaper and a reinhardt - the former does a ton of damage to big targets and the latter has 200 Shield hp (which Winston has a lot of trouble with) and an engaging winston is a great target for building reinhardt ult which can normally be quite difficult.

e: bastion is also quite good against double bubble with some backup

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Can I have my Overwatch on PS4 and PC connected to the same BNet account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elderbean posted:

How are people able to think that Bastion is good

Is there some cheat code to be able to move around in turret mode that only pros know or something because I really just don't get it otherwise.