Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Hes a good character and a horrible person and thats okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

Oh, you think people like-like him? I don't think anyone like-likes Bakugo. He's written to be unlikeable and people like how well that is done.

Everyone has at least one unlikeable friend who wasn't a douche at first and they stick around anyways out of memory for the good ole' days but sometimes the bit of that friend shows through at the right moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terper posted:

I thoroughly enjoy well written characters who are assholes. They're so much fun and they usually keep up the pace and get things done, arrogantly sneering all the way and beating down the underprivileged for a (maybe) good reason.

Bakugou doesn't get too obnoxious in spite of his attitude because he doesn't make any excuses for himself, either. We got a glimpse of that in this episode and it helps explain why he's so pissed all the time - that screechy torrent of criticism is playing on loop inside his own head as well, and unlike his classmates, he's not able to get away from it. He needs to be THE BEST at all times, no excuses or mistakes, or else he's an even worse fuckup than the people he mocks because he's just supposed to be awesome and everyone else just isn't.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

Still bummed they planned this so early that we ended up with just 13 episodes.

I imagine we'll get another season at some point but it won't be this year because the time slots are all accounted for if I recall.

Nah, it looks like where they're going to is the only reasonable season end that doesn't have a shitload of episodes.

I just fee sorry that we've got to wait until next season or so to get the naming assignment. Kind of disappointed people keep using what they come up with then in this thread. Gotta have patience to truly appreciate some of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Needs an eight minute flashback showing deku falling off his bike or I don't understand the context

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

wereboat posted:

Needs an eight minute flashback showing deku falling off his bike or I don't understand the context

Please don't try to stir poo poo up again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Everyone has at least one unlikeable friend who wasn't a douche at first and they stick around anyways out of memory for the good ole' days but sometimes the bit of that friend shows through at the right moment.

I wish there was just one. Actually kinda glad I cut contact off with most of them, after I saw their Facebook profiles recently. Some people you could tell from an early age, really.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This is good, and the thread should learn from its example.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Charlie Bobson posted:

Hes a good character and a horrible person and thats okay

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordaedil posted:

Oh, you think people like-like him? I don't think anyone like-likes Bakugo. He's written to be unlikeable and people like how well that is done.

I know he's written to be unlikeable, but I find him more annoying than anything else. Like I actively don't want to see him, it's not a begrudging "Oh I don't like him but it's cool." But the latest manga chapters have been better with making me like him a lot more and I will say nothing about those.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bakugo is the best and having a ragemonster rear end in a top hat who has perfectly understandable motivations and reasons for his horrible behavior is such a refreshing goddamn change from the typical ~cool as ice~ edgelord Sasukes you get in most lovely shonen series. Anyone who doesn't like Bakugo or understand what he adds to the series just fundamentally doesn't get MHA.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like Bakugo and that the second he sees Todoroki in action, he just goes "man, gently caress me sideways" and realizes he's going to have to get a lot better, that's better written rival character.

Also Bakugo's costume loving rules, please put more of it onscreen, thanks. Meanwhile, Todoroki's costume blows

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Todoroki's straightforward and simple costume is good and suits him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like his suspenders, and I totally get why he has ice on only one side, but I dunno, it looks like he didn't finish his costume. His one glowy eye is cool tho

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Moltrey posted:

I like his suspenders, and I totally get why he has ice on only one side, but I dunno, it looks like he didn't finish his costume. His one glowy eye is cool tho

He has his reasons for rejecting half his body.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Also Bakugo's costume loving rules, please put more of it onscreen, thanks. Meanwhile, Todoroki's costume blows

Yeah I like how it looks and I also have a thing for charge shots in games so naturally I really like how it benefits him in combat.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AtomikKrab posted:

He has his reasons for rejecting half his body.
Yeah I've read far enough in the manga to get the idea behind it. Still, underwhelming when you look at people like Tsuji, Iida and Bakugo who are just looking so so right.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Meanwhile, Ashido's costume is just super stylish.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ashido's costume is the best because it wraps back around to good

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

everything is good it's all good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually like Todoroki's outfit because it feels so plain in contrast with everyone else's that it works

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

NecroMonster posted:

everything is good it's all good

PLUS ULTRA

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Baal posted:

I actually like Todoroki's outfit because it feels so plain in contrast with everyone else's that it works

todoroki and deku's original costumes are terrible (deku's especially, who wants to be saved by a psychotic rabbit)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care for Deku's outfit, but I don't see the hate for Todoroki's at all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

While Deku's outfit looks trash bad, I still like it, because it represents Deku's moms love of him, as well as Deku's admiration of All-Might.

There is a lot of love tied up in that hideous lovely rabbit costume.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
While I brought it up, I don't absolutely hate it, I like it better when it doesn't cover one half of his face though, but I dunno why it's not in this art. I just find this look kiiiiinda lame, moreso in group shots when he's surrounded by dudes wearing much cooler poo poo. How do you even put the ice on, just freeze the half your body? That seems silly!

It works for Todoroki yeah, but I feel the ice is usually drawn weird like in the big group shot in the OP and makes this boy look like a dummy. Like maybe have the ice cover the entire thing at least I dunno, this is just more along the lines of Nothing.

Either way, this is super picky , but somehow still better than the pacing discussion i guess. All these superhero teens are good, and I just want them to look their best.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 24, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i had forgotten that Ojiro and invisible girl were a team, now it suddenly makes sense why half the image results for the former are shipping him with the latter

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bakugou is super cool.

I like-like him a lot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Countblanc posted:

i had forgotten that Ojiro and invisible girl were a team, now it suddenly makes sense why half the image results for the former are shipping him with the latter

They're both good and her name is Hagakure

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i like that shouto's eye glows for no apparent reason

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

My guess is that we'll eventually see a revision of his costume where one side is on constant fire and the other is ice.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
I'm really loving this show so far. They're really doing a wonderful job of visually conveying information to the audience; the side-characters who have only had a minimal amount of actual dialogue already have clearer characterization and can be "read" in more interesting ways than even the central protagonists on most of the other shonen shows I've seen this year. It's refreshing to have a show that understands that action sequences can actually convey information, and, in the best action series, are the chief way of communicating ideas to the audience, rather than just having everyone sort of blur together with super-quick reflexes and strength in generic fight scenes. I really wish we had a longer season.

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 24, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Meanwhile Tokoyami wants to be bird-man Batman and that fine because that's ok.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Easy Rider posted:

I'm really loving this show so far. They're really doing a wonderful job of visually conveying information to the audience; the side-characters who have only had a minimal amount of actual dialogue already have clearer characterization and can be "read" in more interesting ways than even the central protagonists on most of the other shonen shows I've seen this year. It's refreshing to have a show that understands that action sequences can actually convey information, and, in the best action series, are the chief way of communicating ideas to the audience, rather than just having everyone sort of blur together with super-quick reflexes and strength in generic fight scenes. I really wish we had a longer season.

Yeah, the side characters are pretty much the best part.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Oxxidation posted:

Meanwhile Tokoyami wants to be bird-man Batman and that fine because that's ok.

Tokoyami is a really great example not just of the great side characters, but the interesting world, because you'd think, looking at him, that he'd be a flight or bird-themed hero style hero. But his powers have nothing to do with birds and he can't fly- he just happens to have a bird's head, just like Invisible-girl happens to be invisible (it is implied).

Jintor
May 19, 2014

one of the little omakes i really liked was the one where he talks about why the doors in UA are so effing huge.

(i think it came out of an observation he had about 'barrier-free' design, i.e. designing to accomodate for all kinds of people using facilities)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder if we'll ever see what's going on under shouji's mask

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

What mask? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tollymain posted:

If you remove his mask it's just Kakashi's face wearing his own mask. Take off that mask and it's Liam Neeson's face, but it starts to bubble if you don't give him the pink elephant. I strongly suggest you give him the elephant.

• Locked thread