Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Are people generally in agreement that D.Va is bad or are some people just haters??

She's real fun to play, and I like her mech gimmick and jetpack.

I really enjoy D.Va but she could use a couple tweaks to make her a little more capable at confirming kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Bass Bottles posted:

Are people generally in agreement that D.Va is bad or are some people just haters??

Anyone who hates D.Va is one of those people who drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane, and or rides their bicycle on the sidewalk/on the street.
Its a fact.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Definitely not me. The huge number of interactions I've had that are negative have outweighed my positives by an infinite number, because I don't think I've ever seen a positive interaction. Maybe it's 10-1 if you count four people on the other team saying "gg", and one person spamming racial slurs as 4-1, but otherwise, it's pretty clearly always negative.

I rarely say anything in allchat, ever, and I've still gotten called racial slurs three times for getting PotG as Mercy with quad/quintuple rez by the other team. People get mad when they lose and allchat gives the teens a way to vent that anger. There's no other use for it. There's no "positive interaction" to have.

Also, my favorite part: funny how though in your defense of allchat not being negative you yourself start throwing insults. :allears: Good job, you're right; nobody ever just starts slinging insults at people for no reason. You wrote my own post for me, nice.

Hell, I even had a post in the beta thread about how fellow goons in totally random matches ended with them calling me names while I am on their friends list, so.

The problem is you, friend.

And even if you're right and people are picking on you randomly instead of picking on you because you're a giant crybaby, why can't you just click the mute button? Why do the 90% of players who don't get called friend of the family for playing Mercy or whatever have to give up one of the best parts of a competitive expeience?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Someone called you a retard and you wrote a novella response. I find it hard to believe you don't also escalate the same scenario in games.

Good point. Thanks for providing reason #2 to remove alltalk.

fadam posted:

The problem is you, friend.

And even if you're right and people are picking on you randomly instead of picking on you beause you're a giant crybaby, why can't you just click the mute button? Why do the 90% of players who don't get called friend of the family for playing Mercy or whatever have to give up one of the best parts of a competitive expeience?

Why can't you just stop calling people retard in game? That isn't a "best part" of any game. I shouldn't have to mute people because you can't control your emotions. Just remove it; HotS didn't have it and that's literally the best improvement over LoL.

It's a video game, and that means people get mad. :shrug: I shouldn't have to deal with their abuse because they're mad.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 25, 2016

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

shes underpowered in competitive and lots of new players flock to her so you see a lot of bad Dvas, but with an experienced player outside of the comp scene shes plenty good.

winston still does her role better but thats ok, it's ok to not play the best character always.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I got PotG against the same poor team twice in a row.

They thought they could hunker down with Reins and Bastions. Murder wheel says nope:
https://gfycat.com/AnnualHardGuppy

Rein tried to smash me to no avail:
https://gfycat.com/DelectableSharpComet

Edit: GIFVs were choppy - linked instead.

I thought that "double Reinhardt double mercy bastion" team was going to be a lot more trouble than it was. Getting wrecked on point A may have had something to do with it. :v:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Why can't you just stop calling people retard in game? That isn't a "best part" of any game.

I dunno it can be pretty cool sometimes.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

Why can't you just stop calling people retard in game? That isn't a "best part" of any game. I shouldn't have to mute people because you can't control your emotions. Just remove it; HotS didn't have it and that's literally the best improvement over LoL.

Please stop acting like your victim complex isn't the yin to the "git gud fag0t" yang.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Please stop acting like your victim complex isn't the yin to the "git gud fag0t" yang.

Please disable this player's alltalk, thanks.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I played in the closed beta and since launch and don't really remember much negativity at all, either in chat or voice, maybe I have a passive filter for it or I am just such an all around great player people don't need to get upset with me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's a video game, and that means people get mad. :shrug: I shouldn't have to deal with their abuse because they're mad.

How interesting that the one guy who just can't handle getting flamed is the same guy who apparently runs into abuse in every single game he plays.

Again, the problem is you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Reminder, Blizzard removed the "Sorry" emote from Hearthstone, a game with NO CHAT, because people were using it sarcastically.
They didn't take it out because people were using it sarcastically, they took it out because there really wasn't any purpose to use it other than using it sarcastically

and they replaced it with a "Wow!" emote that serves just about the exact same purpose but you can also use it non-sarcastically. It's a minor thing but I wouldn't be surprised if it helped a bunch

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

fadam posted:

How interesting that the one guy who just can't handle getting flamed is the same guy who apparently runs into abuse in every single game he plays.

I am sorry that you feel the need to insult the opposing team when you lose. Normal people don't do that. I hope you see someone.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
hmm... you should try to play video games with nice people and not with unnice people. yes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

EMC posted:

I played in the closed beta and since launch and don't really remember much negativity at all, either in chat or voice, maybe I have a passive filter for it or I am just such an all around great player people don't need to get upset with me

You'll find that most people who aren't crybaby gamerdads don't suffer that much abuse online,

Well technically they suffer the exact same amount of abuse, they just don't get butthurt about it and demand total global silence.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

D.Va : Tanks :: Zenyatta : Healers

very fun to play, anyone saying they're useless is being hyperbolic, but man does it ever bode ill when they're your only one of a thing your team needs very badly.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
all chat is cool

this game is cool and so is d va

(Real talk how do I not suck rear end as Zenyatta?)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People weren't joking when they said that this thread is a lot less chill, jeez.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I took the day off work and played for like 8 hours straight and didn't observe a single negative chat interaction

Also D.Va was doing fine in the matches I was in.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I am sorry that you feel the need to insult the opposing team when you lose. Normal people don't do that. I hope you see someone.

Normal people also don't suffer a nervous breakdown when someone types lol at them in all chat bud.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The thing I really do like about PS4 is that it kind of neuters McCree and Tracer. when they can't instant 180 and murder you it makes them a lot more manageable.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The majority of cool and chill people just don't use chat at all. That's why it seems that the guy who can't stop himself from going "GG EZ GAME [homophobic/racist slur]" are more prevalent than they are. Just go to recent players and select "Avoid this player".

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I am a big fan of all chat because of guys like this dude who get real mad at easy quips and blips of improper commentary

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Charlie Bobson posted:

(Real talk how do I not suck rear end as Zenyatta?)

1) Don't let the other team play Widowmaker.

2) Always have both balls out as much as possible.

3) Don't put your heal ball on Reinhardt unless he's dying.

4) Don't let the other team play Widowmaker.

fadam posted:

Normal people also don't suffer a nervous breakdown when someone types lol at them in all chat bud.

I'm worried about you.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

fadam posted:

Don't you see? If one person is unable to control themselves when trolled and continues to escalate the situation, then nobody should have access to all chat.

LoL has a serious issue with these sorts of players mainly because of how many "anti-toxicity" measures they have. These are the sort of players who will not mute a problematic player but instead keep talking to them to make sure their report has a higher chance of banning them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

2) Always have both balls out as much as possible.

Life advice.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

These are the sort of players who will not mute a problematic player but instead keep talking to them to make sure their report has a higher chance of banning them.

No, they keep talking because they're flamers too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't seem to find full matches in the American server, and half the time it just says "failed to connect to server". Is this on their end?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm worried about you.

You should convince Lowtax to shut the forum down so you don't have to read my posts.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I personally think D.Va is good. Fulfills a similar role to Winston but I think is better at picking off snipers and people in the backline but worse at jumping onto points and murdering supports.

I think this because:

D.Va's boosters are better at manouvering through hallways and just manouvering in general

You can boost into a dude and melee for like 50-75 or so upfront damage which normally tips the engagement in your favour.

Her Defense Matrix will buy you time to bail if you've bitten off more than you can chew

Her ult is more effective coming from behind the enemy as it will force them toward your team

If you gently caress up and have ult you can jam Q as your mech is destroyed and use the nuke to escape and call down another on

In pilot mode you are about 8 pixels wide and your gun is pretty gnarly/ you can fire at people's backs from far away to recharge your mech.

Winston is better at jumping onto points as:

His gun damages multiple people

His barrier surrounds him completely

You can shoot while the barrier is up

His leap does AoE damage

His ult gives him a ton of health and allows you to knock people off points.

He is a gorilla

These are my observations of these characters from playing the open beta and release.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I like All Chat because seeing people mad about videogames is one of the great joys in life

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

EMC posted:

I literally never encounter the horror stories people sometimes report. In almost any game (Battlefield is the exception that proves my rule). The closest I've come in Overwatch to another player melting down is someone calling me a human being for saying that Bastion is both easy to play and hard to do well as versus a competent enemy team.

On one hand, I agree with you: people shouldn't be shitlords to other players because that's not good sportsmanship. If you lost, you lost for a reason, and if you don't want to lose in the same way you should figure out how to not lose in that way. If you won, it's on you as the victor to be magnanimous. Even if, or perhaps especially if, the other team was literally a herd of preschoolers, because being a huge jerk is crass. If you've got some sort of emotional or mental issue, you should see about getting that squared away before you step into the ring.

On the other hand, the mute and report buttons exist for a reason.

e:

Charlie Bobson posted:

I like All Chat because seeing people mad about videogames is one of the great joys in life
I take no shame in sustaining myself from the psychic anguish of someone reduced to screaming obscenities by my actions in an ultimately trivial game.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 25, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

The majority of cool and chill people just don't use chat at all. That's why it seems that the guy who can't stop himself from going "GG EZ GAME [homophobic/racist slur]" are more prevalent than they are. Just go to recent players and select "Avoid this player".

Where do I find "Recent Players"? I haven't seen any slurs or offensive names yet but it's an online game so I'll run into them eventually and I didn't see any immediate way to block/report/avoid.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Got a "lifesiver" PotG as Rein by charging a Reaper mid-ult, then killing a Bastion from behind. Was fun, 10/10.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I love Genji. But his niche is a bit narrow. Half the cast is a bad matchup for him, and some parts of the maps offer poor flanking opportunities. Without flanks, you're just lobbing nerf darts.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As an on the fence CoD lifer, and guy who liked the Soldier in TF2, what are your opinions on Soldier 76 and Pharah?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Really hoping they add an option so you can choose what type of game mode you want to queue for. I like payload and all but I'd rather be playing the KOTH mode most of the time.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

gigawhite posted:

Really hoping they add an option so you can choose what type of game mode you want to queue for. I like payload and all but I'd rather be playing the KOTH mode most of the time.

128 tick Private Servers set to 64 player 24/7 KOTH maps coming in a surprise July update :pray:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Wales Grey posted:

On the other hand, the mute and report buttons exist for a reason.

I agree, and I use them. It still doesn't make sense that Blizzard would intentionally remove alltalk from their other games, but leave it in here. This is an old lesson Blizzard learned over a decade ago -- undead in WoW used to speak the same language as the other faction, and it had to be removed in beta in 2003/2004 because it was almost exclusively used for "vitriol and bile". So there's a definite precedent here. Then they kept it out of Hearthstone and HotS, for the same (I assume) reason. And then left it in Overwatch because ??? :shrug:

I mean this thread is perfect proof, look at the people going apeshit and slinging insults because I thought it should be removed. :v: I bet they're real fun to play against!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
The range on the mech self-destruct seems just a tad hosed.