Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I am drinking water, because it is good, and healthy :)

I hope everybody had a good day today! Or night, rather. How was everybody's night?

I'm just looking at some dota 2 workshop poo poo. I found this queen of pain costume and I think it looks pretty and I hope it gets voted into the game eventually

Other than that, not much is going on. Just wanting to check in on all of my friends here to see how everybody is doing and to wish them a good day :D

Maybe I'll play an ARPG or a puzzle game to keep me busy until I can get to sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Snak posted:

I don't remember who Homer is.

When you level up a class, it levels up everyone of that class. So presumably leveling up whatever class Homer is will make him not poo poo.

He's a lovely extra frail engineer and I doubt any amount of leveling can make him not suck unless he has the most amazing potentials.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CJacobs posted:

What are YOU drinking on this sick radical tuesday night, gamers??

Watermelon Citrus Gatorade

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Ouch my internet feelings.

I was simply asking you to be nice, and to have respect for other people. I find that when I do that, I feel better as well.

CJacobs posted:

What are YOU drinking on this sick radical tuesday night, gamers??

Sangria. It's summer!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I went to see the new Captain America tonight! It was fun and I enjoyed it, but boy does it have serious plot problems! I guess the highlight of my night was dissecting it over a pint with my friend

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like, why don't these guys just talk it out instead of punching each other?! You're proving Iron Man right!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really like the villain in that one, he was probably my favorite in those marvel movies cause he actually had motivation and a personality.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

I am drinking water, because it is good, and healthy :)

I hope everybody had a good day today! Or night, rather. How was everybody's night?

I'm just looking at some dota 2 workshop poo poo. I found this queen of pain costume and I think it looks pretty and I hope it gets voted into the game eventually

Other than that, not much is going on. Just wanting to check in on all of my friends here to see how everybody is doing and to wish them a good day :D

Maybe I'll play an ARPG or a puzzle game to keep me busy until I can get to sleep

I hope you had a good day yourself. That QoP skin looks pretty good and a lot better than some of the other bad skins Valve put into the game already.

I sunk 4 more hours into Total War Warhammer this evening. It's pretty fun and some of the things that got me frustrated were just me not understanding the mechanics and having to go out of game to look them up in the TWW thread.

It really does feel like what I'd imagine a video game version of a tabletop campaign would be.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

I really like the villain in that one, he was probably my favorite in those marvel movies cause he actually had motivation and a personality.

I'm going to have to disagree! Well, only in that his devilish plot seemed so haphazard that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. How would he know anything about Iron Man and the Manchurian Candidate's shared past? How did he hear anything about the secret Siberian base? How could he know that Iron Man would even show up?

Or did I miss some important piece of exposition? That's entirely possible too.

Sorry, this has probably already been talked to death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

MOBAs should be called Dota clones

They were until League of Legends fans started getting defensive when Dota 2 was announced.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jay Rust posted:

I'm going to have to disagree! Well, only in that his devilish plot seemed so haphazard that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. How would he know anything about Iron Man and the Manchurian Candidate's shared past? How did he hear anything about the secret Siberian base? How could he know that Iron Man would even show up?

Pretty much everything goes back to the black widow leak/finding out the base location was the whole reason why he was after Bucky.

He didn't need Iron Man to show up at the end for the video to still gently caress up the Avengers tho too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like his plan is also suppose to really half hazard i think, the guy isn't really a super genius and ends up getting lucky a lot of the time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He's lucky superheroes are too stupid to use their words

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Like, why don't these guys just talk it out instead of punching each other?! You're proving Iron Man right!

I think they already tried that but it didn't work because a bunch of people aren't interested in talking, just in vengeance or enforcement

Unfunny Poster posted:

I hope you had a good day yourself. That QoP skin looks pretty good and a lot better than some of the other bad skins Valve put into the game already.

I sunk 4 more hours into Total War Warhammer this evening. It's pretty fun and some of the things that got me frustrated were just me not understanding the mechanics and having to go out of game to look them up in the TWW thread.

It really does feel like what I'd imagine a video game version of a tabletop campaign would be.

Thanks! I had an okay day. Yeah that QoP skin looks nice. If I knew how to model and texture and poo poo I know a skin I'd try to make for QoP but I don't so lol nuts to that.

I am glad you are enjoying total war warhammer :) I don't know much about warhammer, is this total war game the 40k thing or the fantasy thing?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Zemo was angry and also had a lot of spare time so he went through all of the hydra documents that got leaked at the end of Winter Soldier and found some info that he could use to cause strife within the avengers, and then did some stuff to set them off on each other while he went to take care of the other winter soldiers and wait until they arrived since he knew his plan wasn't foolproof and he had left enough clues on purpose for them to eventually track him down

IMO that just brings up the question of why tony didn't find that info out himself when the leaks happened, but that can be explained with "why would tony care to go through the hydra documents" since he wasn't there when arnim said that hydra was responsible for the death of his parents in Winter Soldier so Tony's not gonna be saying "hey I wonder if there is anything in these hundreds of thousands of coded documents about my dad"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 25, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Alright, I have to admit that the last Marvel movie I saw was the first Avengers, and they did mention something about a leak in this new one, though it's a single throwaway line.

But, boy, superheroes are really loving dumb. Like, seriously. Iron Man shouldn't have reacted the way he did.

And I really, really wish they spent more time examining the moral quandary brought up in Act loving One. I don't understand why anyone would side with Captain America. Paul Rudd should know better.

Again, sorry, I'm a little excitable tonight. I did enjoy the movie overall, I think, and would recommend it to others!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One of the trailers was for a new Star Wars movie, but not a mainline one, and it looked real bad. No Boba Fetts or Jar Jars as far as I could see

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Watch Captain America: Winter Solider to know why Captain America is pretty much right

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did another permadeath run of DS1 and this time I decided to fight the 4 kings first, I jumped into the water while doin the shortcut down to the boss fog gate because I forgot to drain the water in my anxiety about losing to them. i'm going to bed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Again, sorry, I'm a little excitable tonight. I did enjoy the movie overall, I think, and would recommend it to others!

No need to feel sorry, it's alright! I enjoyed it too, even though it definitely has its flaws. I like it way more than avengers 2 though, that one I just feel "meh" about overall. It feels like it should have been a setup for civil war by showing how tony and cap are opposites in how they handle situations but instead it was just a quip machine.

I am looking forward to the upcoming doctor strange film, I hope that it is fun. I hope the black panther and spider-man movies are good, too! :)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I did another permadeath run of DS1 and this time I decided to fight the 4 kings first, I jumped into the water while doin the shortcut down to the boss fog gate because I forgot to drain the water in my anxiety about losing to them. i'm going to bed

lol.

I'd never try something like that b/c I know I'd fall off the beams leading into the Kiln or something and go apeshit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

Watch Captain America: Winter Solider to know why Captain America is pretty much right

I don't agree with extrajudicial murder dammit. Captain America, more like captain drone-endorser

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

aka Obama

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I sided with Iron Man because I thought Captain America was the bad guy. He kept doing exactly what regular people were concerned about and hurting regular people just doing their job to save his friend who was an actual criminal.

He didn't want to go through the proper judicial channels and ended up making it much worse for his friends in that prison.

It was an awesome film!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tomorrow is a holiday here and my gf is out of town, you know what I'll be playing all day :getin:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

I sided with Iron Man because I thought Captain America was the bad guy. He kept doing exactly what regular people were concerned about and hurting regular people just doing their job to save his friend who was an actual criminal.

He didn't want to go through the proper judicial channels and ended up making it much worse for his friends in that prison.

It was an awesome film!

I felt the same way. Winter Soldier gives you a great idea for his motivations and I can see why people would side with Cap. But man, starting around half way through the movie, he did it wrong every step of the way. Granted, Tony also occasionally hosed up. The nice thing about the movie is that it doesn't come out and say "Captain is right" or "Tony is right." It's not a simple conflict in light of the trilogy as a whole. And of course, the battles were very cool and man, first time I got excited about Spiderman being in a movie since Toby's second one with Doc Oct.

So, FTL vanilla with regular spaceship. Getting a teleporter early ended up being pretty much the crux of this entire thing. I stripped every ship I could come by, only lost one Mantis (who I replaced) and ended up earning nearly twice as much scrap as any other playthrough I've ever done, including victories. 8 attempts, 8 failures, 6 of them on the last boss. And now time to fight him again with one of the most well-equipped ships you can get in vanilla.

The ship:

The equipment:

The upgrades:

... the victory:

I don't normally like to post gloats but after so many attempts, I couldn't help but share. It was almost a bit of anticlimax because I chumped the boss so bad. Being able to destroy the missile system in each phase right off the bat with teleporting Mantise and only taking a couple of volleys meant the main challenge was dealing with the fall-out from those handful of missile barrages barrages, dealing with the two super weapon systems in phase 2 and 3, and handling the boarding droids. I switched the Heavy Laser to the Ion Bomb on the second and third phases and it made things easy to handle all things considered. And now time to switch back to Advanced Mode and start unlocking stuff wooo.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 25, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qeFRc95O-U

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hey forums, I wasn't sure where to post about crossword stuff (puzzles are games, I guess), but there was a rad clue in a crossword I solved today:

"59 Machine that wanted to push humans down the stairs to protect them from the terrible secret of space, in an old meme".

American Values Crossword, if you're interested. Good quality puzzles, with much fresher stuff than you would find in The New York Times crossword. I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.avxword.com/

Side note, is this the appropriate subforum to post about crosswords and pencil-paper stuff like that? I wanted to post about that stuff for a while, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

somekindofguy posted:

Side note, is this the appropriate subforum to post about crosswords and pencil-paper stuff like that? I wanted to post about that stuff for a while, but I wasn't sure where to put it.
There's the traditional gaming subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=234

But I don't know how big they are on the puzzles/crosswords. You could start a thread there if you don't find what you're looking for.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spider-man has a really good rogues gallery. I know for a fact there's no way we aren't getting venom in the upcoming spider-man films eventually, but I hope we get to see some of the other more interesting villains too, like vulture, scorpion, shocker, mysterio, arcade, kraven, and sandman

I'd also love to see silver sable somehow get introduced but that's just because I like her outfit and name

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I want Scorpion or Mysterio if only to see how bad their ridiculous outfits look cosplayed on film. Sandman was already in Spider-Man movies and he's kinda meh. I'm not sure I'm for a totally-not-nude silver woman though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like Silver Sable's design (even if it looks a little too much like 80's Storm) but I was always bothered by the fact that it has a space-age look that fits a lot better into into the look of Marvel's cosmics even though she's a street level hero. I'm also just not sure she'll make the cut for a Marvel movie. Her band of misfits doesn't match the insanity of Suicide Squad and it looks like they're really building from the Avengers and cosmics while using the inhumans as a hold-over for mutants until Fox gives an inch on that property.

Slightly related, a friend of mine says she thinks that if Fox continues to refuse to cooperate despite box office flops, Marvel will actually phase out mutants and replace them with inhumans across all properties (including comics!) to devalue Fox's holdings and possibly further trojan X-Men characters into their movies. They'd basically just convert all the big names to inhumans, and given that House of M fallout turned a bunch of mutants into something else like Jubilee becoming a god damned vampire, it's not such a far-fetched idea.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Titanfall 2 will release in October and the Mountain dew leak is indeed legitimate. They've added a ton of new pilot abilities including the addition of a grappling hook. My source said you can use it quite extensively, for getting into your Titan, aiding free-running, or tactical plays such as pulling enemies while they're midair. The pre-order bonus will be a handgun called the Violator. Multiplayer maps are bigger which I can assume they upped the player count to go along with them.

Yay more grappling hooks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek posted:

I want Scorpion or Mysterio if only to see how bad their ridiculous outfits look cosplayed on film. Sandman was already in Spider-Man movies and he's kinda meh. I'm not sure I'm for a totally-not-nude silver woman though.

Mysterio's outfit would own, actually, on the silver screen.

Mysterio, as played by WWE wrestler...........carlito colon jr :V

If we could get a film version of the mysterio boss fight from spider-man 2 the video game that'd be cool

I just want a sandman done right. Sandman is really cool when he's done well and spider-man 3 wasn't able to do him justice.

bloodychill posted:

I like Silver Sable's design (even if it looks a little too much like 80's Storm) but I was always bothered by the fact that it has a space-age look that fits a lot better into into the look of Marvel's cosmics even though she's a street level hero.

To be honest, that's kinda why I like her design. She's a street level character but she's backed by enough financial stuff that she has this completely over-the-top tech thing going on so she ends up standing out and it kinda owns

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 25, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VideoGames posted:

It was an awesome film!

I sided with Captain America because what exactly is the UN oversight going to do. Bench the superheroes next time a big monster shows up because they didn't fill out their forms? Tell them "Ok, make sure there's no collateral damage whatsoever when you're fighting this guy that's shooting wildly into the crowd with or without your interference"?

Tony didn't even believe in the accord that much, he violated it like 3 times in the movie.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I sided with Captain America because what exactly is the UN oversight going to do. Bench the superheroes next time a big monster shows up because they didn't fill out their forms? Tell them "Ok, make sure there's no collateral damage whatsoever when you're fighting this guy that's shooting wildly into the crowd with or without your interference"?

Yes

Because when they got involved, people got mad at them for being involved and causing more issues in addition to solving them. Not to mention that it was their fault that the ultron thing even happened (like yeah, it's tony's fault, and really it's scarlet witch's fault, but the public isn't gonna care about that)

Sure, it's not perfect, and no way was it going to actually work, but I imagine tony's thought process was probably "if they see how badly they need them, they'll fix the accords" or whatever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holy cow, congratulations! I've yet to beat that game - I made it to the final boss once and died horribly, but maybe someday I'll follow in your footsteps. :D

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda wish we got more info on what exactly was in the accords. In the comics, while it was ridiculously one-sided, the exact law being passed was the focus. We were shown repeatedly what being registered would mean, why someone would be against it, etc. In the movie, perhaps wisely, it's glossed over and it's more about the personal stakes Cap and Tony have in the accords passing.

The comics made it pretty impossible to side with Tony unless you were being a contrarian, though, partly due to side writers just piling on extra horrible things the pro-registration side was doing because they were angry at fictional legislation, but also because instead of being about superheroes being overseen by a committee, it was that anyone with powers was essentially drafted into service to do whatever, including children.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FirstAidKite posted:

Mysterio's outfit would own, actually, on the silver screen.

Mysterio, as played by WWE wrestler...........carlito colon jr :V
This could work.

The movie opens with a close-up of a masked face and the camera dollies slowly out to reveal that it's a completely accurate Mysterio outfit and everybody in the theater is like 'what the gently caress is this, are they serious?' But then the camera dollies out even more and he's in a wrestling ring and the fight is just starting and everybody's like 'haha, now I get it'. Then it's revealed that he's fighting against Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and everybody goes 'holy poo poo, this is loving awesome' because we all love The Rock. Mysterio loses of course but after it's all over The Rock tells him in the locker room that he fought well and that he should keep following his dreams and everybody in the theater is like 'poo poo, I haven't been to the gym for a while'. The Rock isn't aware that he's encouraging a villain though and a close-up of Mysterio's eyes reveal his true nature. Then Mysterio's actual villain costume is pretty cool and modern in a homage-kind-of-way to his wrestling outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

Jay Rust posted:

I don't agree with extrajudicial murder dammit. Captain America, more like captain drone-endorser

you really should watch winter soldier

• Locked thread