Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oh i meant specifically people who for some reason don't even seem to like the actual character designs, are they still fans to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

that sounds really judgemental to the hypothetical artists but i mean fan in the context of this conversation

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

-

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also I feel like the whole remade in western-style meme has some weird racial undercurrent to it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Also I feel like the whole remade in western-style meme has some weird racial undercurrent to it

recoloring people is something that is done with good intentions but is super weird and distasteful to me

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

oh i meant specifically people who for some reason don't even seem to like the actual character designs, are they still fans to you?

...yes, but tumblr can weird, and I don't care to associate with them. Overall, I think it's neat that folks can have such wildly different interpretations of characters, and I'm not going to go all no true Scotsman about fandom, but I have my own ideas and impressions about the characters that are far from those folks'.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

anyway, im still gonna Kill All Secondaries™

sleep is more important

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Now let us have a serious discussion about race in the chat thread for anime.

Okay go:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

specifically i mean stuff like the massive mountain death megathread these forums have, where posters cheer and celebrate the death of climbers attempting everest, because its the wrong kind of mountain

what the gently caress

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

it's fine in the sense that it's neat when people produce well-made fanart without emulating japanese cartooning. recoloring's a whole other discussion tho

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

...yes, but tumblr can weird, and I don't care to associate with them. Overall, I think it's neat that folks can have such wildly different interpretations of characters, and I'm not going to go all no true Scotsman about fandom, but I have my own ideas and impressions about the characters that are far from those folks'.

for some reason to me a fanwork that is 'i like these characters and want to do something different with them' seems cool but 'i like these characters but not the way they look or do anyhting at all so i'm just gonna make up an entirely new design' is like... are you sure you really like this thing at all....

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Umi and Eli aren't bad Love Lives but that seems like a just really boring pairing

Its strength lies in contrasting their similarities (e.g., honest, no-nonsense leaders who put the needs of others ahead of their own) with their differences (e.g., Eli is secretly quite goofy, Umi is easily embarrassed). I thought similarly, but some of the doujins Motto mentioned brought me around (though I still prefer NozoEli).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
i saw one once where the artist made the Love Live different races, and made one overweight with visible stretchmarks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh my god

this side quest in akiba's trip requires me to give a homeless person the password: misato, rei, asuka, shinji

this is, like, an actual thing i have to do

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

for some reason to me a fanwork that is 'i like these characters and want to do something different with them' seems cool but 'i like these characters but not the way they look or do anyhting at all so i'm just gonna make up an entirely new design' is like... are you sure you really like this thing at all....

Well, some probably don't like the original thing and don't consider themselves fans, but most probably like it but find various faults in it that they think they can fix. It's neat when they try, because sometimes they succeed, and having a bunch of people trying to bring their own ideas about characters to life is what makes for a vibrant fan scene, even when most of it isn't so good. LL's fan scene is my favorite part about it, and what originally attracted my attention to it, and all these weird tumblr folks are a part of that.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

this is competent. The problem is its an abomination in the eyes of god

Nah it's cool

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
e:

I think this was my first double-post ever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

I remember reading a few years back about some webtoon artist who tried to redesign a buncha things. I mainly remember superhero outfits and Legends of Zelda characters.

I'd like to think that people can still enjoy a work without loving the designs, so I guess I can sorta understand the desire to change them in a way they feel is right?

Though then again the problem could have been with the outfits more than the characters themselves, but that does raise the question of how much of a character is defined by their outfits. The stuff that boom posted had an artistic style that was way different from the actual cards, so I dunno.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

oh my god

this side quest in akiba's trip requires me to give a homeless person the password: misato, rei, asuka, shinji

this is, like, an actual thing i have to do

one of the XSEED people came to /m/ to check how accurately they translated a Gundam reference. was also a regular on one of the /vg/ threads before it poo poo itself hard (including some dude going insane and posting spoilers all the time because ????).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Minjo posted:

e:

I think this was my first double-post ever.

I'm proud of you Blhue.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Anyway, good conversation Sharky, thanks for engaging me! but I need to make like a burbo and sleep.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

night night!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i like talking with friends, also i learned more about love live

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found the webcomic artist.

It was Aaron Diaz.

For some reason I thought it was the guy who did Dominic Deegan or whatever that's called, but I was wrong.

I know nothing about either, as I have not read their webcomics.

http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10830387057/5-essential-superhero-redesigns
http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/47724463171/inspired-by-anita-sarkeesians-video-game-tropes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

littleorv posted:

Now let us have a serious discussion about race in the chat thread for anime.

Okay go:
the reason that mario kart is so successful and most other kart racers arent is that a great deal of attention is paid to the handling of the karts, which is a point that many other developers neglect

two other games that get this right are sonic and sega all stars racing, and blur. blur also happens to have fantastic item and track design that makes interactions with other racers deeply strategic and interesting in a way that it often isn't in kart racers

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm proud of you Blhue.

nandayo...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Minjo posted:

nandayo...

I'm proud.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

what can you 1cc then

I'm very close to 1CCing Crimzon Clover in novice mode (TLB down to the last sliver of health multiple times) but I'm lazy and my ability to concentrate hard enough for shmups varies a lot. I've got a lot of time this summer though so I'll probably get it done.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ah,

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

i'm the socks of mismatched length

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, I just realized my mistake.

I called Red Minjo Blhue.

I'm sorry, I confused your avatar for the Kindred Spirits one that Blhue used to have.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

the reason that mario kart is so successful and most other kart racers arent is that a great deal of attention is paid to the handling of the karts, which is a point that many other developers neglect

two other games that get this right are sonic and sega all stars racing, and blur. blur also happens to have fantastic item and track design that makes interactions with other racers deeply strategic and interesting in a way that it often isn't in kart racers

:golfclap:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

umi doesn't seem like a hairy legs type of gal to me

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Red Minjo posted:

i'm the socks of mismatched length

but seriously there's being proud of your body even though you a fat, and then there's just being fuckin' sloppy.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

I miss Blur sometimes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

umi doesn't seem like a hairy legs type of gal to me

Yes, these Japanese girls in a Japanese high school are all obviously from different nationalities.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ah, I just realized my mistake.

I called Red Minjo Blhue.

I'm sorry, I confused your avatar for the Kindred Spirits one that Blhue used to have.

Yuri ghosts is good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am proud of my flat rear end

• Locked thread