Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a question about TrueCrypt - I have 7.0a on my system and set up whole-disk encryption of my drive (except for the small Host Protrction Area that TrueCrypt mentioned in the setup). It's the main physical drive I have with C D and E partitions.

I have a fairly robust password setup. GRC haystacks indicates it's a pretty robust password.

Are there any issues or vulnerabilities with using 7.0a? I think assuming someone doesn't pull that "evil maid" attack I should be OK. There's nothing super sensitive I am just being careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Three-Phase posted:

I have a question about TrueCrypt - I have 7.0a on my system and set up whole-disk encryption of my drive (except for the small Host Protrction Area that TrueCrypt mentioned in the setup). It's the main physical drive I have with C D and E partitions.

I have a fairly robust password setup. GRC haystacks indicates it's a pretty robust password.

Are there any issues or vulnerabilities with using 7.0a? I think assuming someone doesn't pull that "evil maid" attack I should be OK. There's nothing super sensitive I am just being careful.

Truecrypt is unmaintained and at least one serious bug ("full system compromise" serious) has been found since the developers jumped ship. Switch to Veracrypt ASAP, keeping in mind that Veracrypt was forked from Truecrypt and potentially inherited all of its lingering bugs. Also consider that, as an ultra-sensitive software that literally replaces parts of your operating system, Veracrypt/Truecrypt actually makes your computer less secure, because even the smallest, most obscure bug can escalate into full system compromise. Don't let this stop you from using it though, because the same is true of antivirus, or any of the lovely, buggy third party device drivers that plague almost any system. Have a plan B for the inevitable day you'll be compromised

For full disk encryption I personally use long passphrases that I can recover from hardcopy should I forget them. No fancy symbols or customization with number/letter/case replacements because I'm guaranteed to forget them (ask me how I know)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Anything that is actually sensitive I've moved into secure containers on my Mac that has FileVault2. There was just so much stuff on that old computer that id like to make sure everything is crypted.

It seems like the consensus is positive about VC but one IT guy at work implored me to use Bitlocker (which needs ultimate or pro Windows 7) over VC because VC is open source. I'm a bit confused about his argument there.

I do have plan B and C of sorts set up - this is basically just a gaming system anyways.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 25, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Update: one of the upper-eshalon ITSEC guys I work with gave Veracrypt the thumbs up. That's cool.

EDIT: the transition from TrueCrypt to Veracrypt (decrypting, installing, recrypting) has been surprisingly seamless. It worth noting there is a delay on password entry in the MBR and I think that's done as an anti-brute force addition that makes that kind of attack take hundreds of thousands of times longer.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 26, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is anyone else seeing Internet Explorer popping up a crash message that doesn't seem to do anything? I thought it was just my computer having random pop-ups, then I go to work and several computers have the same message. I don't even use it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Anything that is actually sensitive I've moved into secure containers on my Mac that has FileVault2. There was just so much stuff on that old computer that id like to make sure everything is crypted.

It seems like the consensus is positive about VC but one IT guy at work implored me to use Bitlocker (which needs ultimate or pro Windows 7) over VC because VC is open source. I'm a bit confused about his argument there.

I do have plan B and C of sorts set up - this is basically just a gaming system anyways.

Until the end of July you can grab a Win7 Pro OEM key off ebay for about the price of a coffee and muffin, and use it to give yourself a digital entitlement to Windows 10 Pro. This will give you bitlocker which is much neater than TC/VC.
Or, just use 7 Pro v0v

Three-Phase posted:

It worth noting there is a delay on password entry in the MBR and I think that's done as an anti-brute force addition that makes that kind of attack take hundreds of thousands of times longer.
If it deems your password sufficient, it will allow you to set a very low iteration count (possibly 0) which removes this.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Until the end of July you can grab a Win7 Pro OEM key off ebay for about the price of a coffee and muffin, and use it to give yourself a digital entitlement to Windows 10 Pro.

I don't eBay, can you link to something legit?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Adix posted:

I don't eBay, can you link to something legit?

Spent $187 CAD then.

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/45275/1316

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I'm finally unhoarding all my old hard drives and I'm going to use dban on them before binning them.

I have two different usb docks that I'm using. Have I misunderstood something, or do I really have to reboot dban every time I change he drive? Or is there some way of making dban recognize newly inserted usb drives?

It's not a major deal, waiting a couple of minutes between disks will not kill me, but if there is a way to avoid it, I'd like to know.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hammer. Seriously, if you have data worth recovering from a physically damaged HDD by a nefarious third-party then you wouldn't be posting here.

Unless you want to sell the HDDs?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cheese-cube posted:

Nah, most of the later ones at least I have retired because they got a bad sector. I mean they're probably still 99.9% usable, but their days could be numbered.

And also lol maybe I should have started with the smaller-than-terabyte disks. Estimated time left 70ish hours. (with "quick erase" that just fills the disk with zeros)

... Look, I just wanted to run dban once in my life.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I literally have a giant furnace at my disposal that will melt the drives for me--it is intended to start the process for resource extraction from recycled or scrap material.

The more destructive the better.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

The more destructive the better.

Sell them to Colin Furze for thermite cannon target practice!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cheese-cube posted:

Hammer. Seriously, if you have data worth recovering from a physically damaged HDD by a nefarious third-party then you wouldn't be posting here.

DBAN first, then hammer. The difference being that hammer makes data recovery extremely difficult, but DBAN makes it impossible. For the extent that harddrive is functional.

Unfortunately, DBAN needs to be rebooted, it hasn't been designed for several runs. Alternative would be any number of live Linux boots like System Rescue CD, Knoppix, etc, and dd/ddrescue.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just smash it with a hammer. Unless you have to conform with a data disposal standard just hammer it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Three bullet holes to the platter is more than enough to thwart most computer forensics types. DBAN before is just wasting your own time.

A hammer is just a slightly less violent but no less effective method.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like to scavenge the magnets and then take an angle grinder to the platters.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

OSI bean dip posted:

Three bullet holes to the platter is more than enough to thwart most computer forensics types. DBAN before is just wasting your own time.

A hammer is just a slightly less violent but no less effective method.

I don't want to make an unnecessary mess. I'm going to hammer the ones that don't spin up or are not recognized, but the others I'm going to dban and recycle intact.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

dis astranagant posted:

I like to scavenge the magnets and then take an angle grinder to the platters.

Yeah, HD magnets are pretty cool.

Scuffing a platter with some sandpaper is probably just as effective as cutting them up with an angle grinder, but less fun.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

jetz0r posted:

Yeah, HD magnets are pretty cool.

Scuffing a platter with some sandpaper is probably just as effective as cutting them up with an angle grinder, but less fun.

Power drill works well and is less likely to propel the drive across the parking lot/receiving bay.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I used to power up the drives with the case open and see what kind of spirals I could make by resting a screwdriver on the platter while it's spinning.
Nowadays I just take out the magnets and give the platters to my mom who uses them for decoration or as small mirrors.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is this KeePass vulnerability the same one that was mentioned earlier in the thread? http://www.engadget.com/2016/06/04/keepass-wont-fix-security-hole-due-to-ads/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So i've bought myself a new laptop and just want to double check i'm not missing anything obvious.
- It's a lenovo x250 so i deleted all the partitions that it came with and reformatted with a clean image of windows 10 pro.
- I've turned on bitlocker
- Set up to use OpenDNS rather than ISP one
- Chrome with ublock origin, https everywhere and privacy badger
- I use private internet access as a VPN for when i'm using random wifi and at work (work at a hospital and we have to use the open guest wifi)
- I was about to move from lastpass to keypass but wondering if i should spring for 1password or just stay with last pass given keypass dont want to use https

anything else obvious i'm missing?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

anything else obvious i'm missing?

Just a few more things to consider:

- make sure UAC settings are at highest level

- consider installing EMET: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544

- set Flash browser settings to "click-to-play". Better yet, straight up uninstall Flash

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Disable third party cookies and, fwiw, enable DNT

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Just a few more things to consider:

- make sure UAC settings are at highest level

- consider installing EMET: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544

- set Flash browser settings to "click-to-play". Better yet, straight up uninstall Flash

If you're using Chrome, keep in mind that Chrome has its own sandboxed version of Flash, you won't find it in appwiz.cpl. Navigate to chrome://plugins in the omnibar and you'll find where you can disable Flash from ever running.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Just remove flash (or turn it off in chrome)
If you set it to click-to-play websites still try to use flash because they're lovely. If you remove it the site "falls back forward" to HTML5 and will in most cases be completely normal, minus flash.
Google are soon (or just have idk) reversing the above behaviour so that'll be a strong push against flash; very soon it will stop being a thing.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

- I was about to move from lastpass to keypass but wondering if i should spring for 1password or just stay with last pass given keypass dont want to use https
It's been a known-weakness for a while but people are only now looking at it because a lovely tech blog wanted clicks. I think it was already stated ITT that the safe way to download it is to get it from their site directly and verify the hash.
Note that the app does NOT have an auto-updater; it simply checks for one.

e: The above is meant to read as "don't use lastpass because of this non-issue" - lastpass has very real issues.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 6, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just generally speaking, is it likely possible to remotely switch on a webcam (either permanently soldered to a laptop screen or connected to a desktop PC via USB) and not also switch on the little light that says it's activated?

I realize this is asking for a few assumptions about a very wide range of products, and may be stupid, so you may also think of it as me asking whether you personally put black tape over your webcams when not using them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Just generally speaking, is it likely possible to remotely switch on a webcam (either permanently soldered to a laptop screen or connected to a desktop PC via USB) and not also switch on the little light that says it's activated?

I realize this is asking for a few assumptions about a very wide range of products, and may be stupid, so you may also think of it as me asking whether you personally put black tape over your webcams when not using them.

With most of the modules in laptops and USB cameras the LED isn't controllable separately from the camera. I wouldn't sweat it unless you have reason to suspect hardware tampering. Cell phones are a different story though.

The tape is good so you don't turn it on accidentally though.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I believe some drivers dictate the webcam LED just an FYI. There has been some research into this in the past

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

I believe some drivers dictate the webcam LED just an FYI. There has been some research into this in the past

Some did, more didn't when we were looking at them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Cross-posting here, since everyone probably doesn't frequent the Windows thread:

ufarn posted:

I've been getting some BSODs this week, and I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 to rid myself of them. Unfortch, Windows 10 itself got a Kernel BSOD (WindowsUpdate_C1900101), so the problem is probably in the hardware.

I once found an extremely low error rate in one RAM module; I'd gladly run diagnostics on my four modules, but it takes something like a whole day, and I was wondering if there's any other way to find the culprit short of leaving my computer to run tests for a full day?

I haven't installed anything new - only thing I've done is swapped out some USB cables, because my audio interface's USB sometimes turns off, regardless of which port I plug it into. Guess that sounds like it could be the motherboard - in which case, welp.

Aside from my GFX and audio interface, my build is like five year old.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ufarn posted:

Cross-posting here, since everyone probably doesn't frequent the Windows thread:

How much RAM to you have? If there's enough to open Windows with half of it, pull the pair including the suspected chip and see what happen.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samizdata posted:

How much RAM to you have? If there's enough to open Windows with half of it, pull the pair including the suspected chip and see what happen.
12 (4 modules). The BSODs aren't frequent enough that I could remove the RAM and see - otherwise I would. It happens maybe once or twice each day.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You aren't making sense. Pull the ram out for a few days. It would take a week max to narrow it down to a dimm.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ufarn posted:

12 (4 modules). The BSODs aren't frequent enough that I could remove the RAM and see - otherwise I would. It happens maybe once or twice each day.

Bhodi posted:

You aren't making sense. Pull the ram out for a few days. It would take a week max to narrow it down to a dimm.

It's the only non-system-grinding way to nail it down for sure. I think most people would say the only way to eliminate a part as being bad is to pull it for a bit.

If the BSOD's aren't bothering you enough to do so, then why even post?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I'm not even sure how a BSOD post like yours belongs in this thread.

Sulfrasta
Dec 15, 2015
I have read a few internet things where they talk about decentralizing authorization using blockchains. Is this as bad of an idea as it sounds?

E: Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

E2: Okay, then. I have a (probably) relevant question to salvage my idiot nubpost.

Is using MikroTik stuff a bad idea or is their security okay? I hear little discussion outside of dedicated mikrotik communities. Is no news good news in this case?

Sulfrasta fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 21, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Sulfrasta posted:

I have read a few internet things where they talk about decentralizing authorization using blockchains. Is this as bad of an idea as it sounds?

E: Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Very much the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I decided to try KeePass, but I am unimpressed so far. What is the normal setup procedure for using this? It sounds like people slap it up the database on a Google Drive or whatever. How do you coordinate any of the apps that seem to be created to support it with that database?

Anyways, I gave it a spin on one of my accounts. I created a local database file, and tried to have it generate a password for one of the sites I use. The policies for that site are a little ridiculous, so it ended up rejecting a lot of the passwords it created since I couldn't enter all the restrictions. Once I got one, it looked like registered it correctly, and I could extract the login. However, I go to check on it today, and that database file is gone. I can't find it on my computer anywhere. At least I only have to reset one password...